- Gary the Snail
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Daydream Mrs. Puff's class
- Mrs. Puff
- Roger (debut)
- Debbie Rechid
- Frankie Billy
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Seahorses (written)
- Nematodes (written)
- Monroe Timmy
- Shelly Fishbowl
- Taylor Fishbowl
- Abigail Marge
- Miss Rechid
- Nat Peterson
- Norma Rechid
- King Neptune (mentioned)
SpongeBob is heading to school one morning, and Patrick eagerly asks him if he can go jellyfishing. SpongeBob says he has to go to school and asks what Patrick usually does when he's gone. Patrick says that he will "wait for you to get back" and SpongeBob feels sorry for Patrick. SpongeBob then tells Patrick that he can come to school with him.
They arrive at 6:20 a.m., and class starts at 9:00 a.m., which SpongeBob considers "Late for being early," he then shows Patrick around the school and explains their classroom's "Good Noodle board" system, where "good noodle stars" are placed on a good noodle board next to the chalkboard. SpongeBob has by far the most stars of anyone in the class, (seventy-four) and adds Patrick's name to the chart so he can start collecting stars. He also shows Roger, an unborn animal egg in a case with only a light-bulb for warmth.When class starts, Mrs. Puff sees the new student and asks him his name, Patrick gets nervous and replies with "twenty-four," and the whole class laughs at his response. At their desks, SpongeBob and Patrick laugh among each other about the what comes after number "twenty-four," SpongeBob said "twenty-five," and Mrs. Puff warns them to pay attention. Later, Patrick draws an ugly picture of Mrs. Puff, calling her a "Big Fat Meanie!" and on the bottom of the picture says "poo poo." Mrs. Puff believes the picture was made by SpongeBob and she has a small plastic spatula to remove one of his stars from his good noodles, much to SpongeBob's horror. Mrs. Puff then tells SpongeBob to move to the available desk in the back of the room. Soon after, Patrick tries to tell SpongeBob something, and SpongeBob, becoming very irritated with him, tries to ignore him. Patrick begins tossing spitballs at SpongeBob to get his attention and says that he has "something important" to tell him. SpongeBob finally asks him what he has to say, and Patrick simply says "Hi." SpongeBob is furious, and screams out "Hiiiiiiiii!" in frustration, causing the spitballs on him to fly all the way to Mrs. Puff, who angrily says "Perhaps this would be a good time for recess."
During recess, SpongeBob confronts Patrick in the hallway, and they start fighting, which they are given detention.During detention, the two say how much they hate each other, and SpongeBob says "I'd hate you even if the light bulb keeping Roger alive went out!" Suddenly, the light bulb goes out, and Roger starts to freeze. Frightened on the inside, SpongeBob and Patrick try to ignore both situations but end up tearfully apologizing, and then they work together to save Roger. SpongeBob keeps the egg warm, while Patrick gets a new light bulb. Patrick reaches the closet and finds a mountain of light-bulbs, but he thinks that the light bulb at the top that is operating is the only one that works and starts climbing the mountain to reach it. SpongeBob is impatient and starts running towards the closet with Roger in his hands, and bumps into Patrick, causing the egg and light bulb to fly into the air. Patrick catches the light bulb, and SpongeBob catches Roger. Suddenly, Mrs. Puff appears, who had been watching the whole incident through her one-way chalkboard. She decides to give them each one golden star. Patrick then leaves, upon realizing that this was boating school and not a "normal class" he calls Mrs. Puff "Big Fat Meanie." After Patrick leaves, Roger suddenly hatches, revealing to be a live action chick who says, "Hey! What did I miss?" as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Horlepiep - Jan Rap [title card]
‣ Hilo Rag - Guy Fletcher [opening]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Wait a second, Patrick."]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Patrick imagines himself in SpongeBob's class]
‣ Stiff Upper Lip - Paddy Kingsland [SpongeBob showing Patrick around]
‣ Hula Festival - George Elliott [the classroom]
‣ The Oracle - David Farnon [SpongeBob describing Roger]
‣ Steel Sting (c) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Patrick giggling]
‣ Dramatic Climax - Mike Sunderland [Patrick nervous]
‣ So Tired - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [everyone laughs]
‣ Stepping into Danger - Mike Sunderland [Big Fat Meanie]
‣ National Mourning - Gerhard Trede [Mrs. Puff removes one of SpongeBob's stars]
‣ Lonely Heart's Club (a) - David Bell, Otto Sieben [SpongeBob is sent to the back of the room]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [Patrick shoots spitballs at SpongeBob]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Patrick fighting]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [crowd walks away]
‣ Point of Departure (o) - Gregor F. Narholz [Mrs. Puff catches SpongeBob and Patrick "RED HANDED."]
‣ Point of Departure (m) - Gregor F. Narholz [Mrs. Puff sentences SpongeBob and Patrick to detention]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill ["In one day I've gone from good noodle to bad egg."]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm..."]
‣ Killer Birds - Gregor F. Narholz [Roger freezing]
‣ Heroes Win 60 - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick save Roger]
‣ Tiroler Jodler 2 - Werner Brueggemann [Patrick climbing the mountain of light bulbs]
‣ Heroes Win 60 - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick save Roger]
‣ Horlepiep - Jan Rap [ending]
- This episode is available on the following DVDs:
- As of September 19, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.9/10 based on 285 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 9.0/10 based on 146 votes.
- This is one of very few episodes where Mrs. Puff apparently does not show any hatred towards SpongeBob. She treats him equally, compared to everyone else. It is likely that the events happening in this episode took place before Mrs. Puff became constantly irritated with SpongeBob's antics.
- This is the first episode where the title card has the episode title on a chalkboard.
- This is the first time Patrick goes to the Boating School. The second was in "Driven to Tears."
- In the original storyboard featured on the special features on the Sponge for Hire DVD (this episode was included), after Patrick leaves in the ending, SpongeBob says "Can I have his star?"
- In all airings, it wasn't animated and the line was cut.
- A chapter book based on this episode was made.
- When Patrick pictures Mrs. Puff's class like a class photo day, the black sign in front of the kids in the front says "Mrs. Puff's Driving School" but Mrs. Puff's school sign says "Mrs. Puff's Boating School." The picture was either taken or it was sourced.
- SpongeBob and Patrick arrive at school at 6:20 A.M.
- When Mrs. Puff opens the drawers in her desk to put the paper that Patrick drew of her, many different papers making fun of Mrs. Puff can be seen inside that drawer.
- When Mrs. Puff tells the boys, "May Neptune have mercy on your souls," it is a reference to the phrase, "May God have mercy on your soul," which a judge says to a convict who's about to receive the death penalty.
- SpongeBob losing a star is similar to when he gets a star taken off of his employee performance chart in the later episode "Restraining SpongeBob."
- In both episodes, he does nothing to get them taken away.
- The chick being named "Roger" might be a nod to Rodger Bumpass, who voices Squidward Tentacles.
- In one airing, Roger said "Hey!" but the second sentence is absent, because the episode instantly ended.
- In Israel, Roger at the end of the episode says "תעברו לסיפור הבא" which means "Get to the next story!" He may possibly be referring to the next episode.
- The Good Noodle Board is seen again in The Yellow Avenger.
- In most episodes, the Boating School is just one room. In this episode however, it looks like a real school.
- This is Henry-Bart's 25th episode appearance.
- The scene where Patrick is using his skills of reaching the light bulb may be a reference to The Price Is Right's Cliff Hanger.
- When SpongeBob is at the back of the class, the desk reads, "Down with learning," which could be a reference to The Simpsons because in the episode "Team Homer," Bart wears a shirt that reads, "Down with Homework."
- The made-up phrase "good noodle" could be a possible attempt to make an opposite of the real-life phrase "bad egg," since noodles and eggs often go together in a dish.
- When Patrick arrives at the boating school, he says, "And no line." Captions say, "I have no line."
- When Patrick yelled "I'm learning!," captions said "I'm waiting!"
- When Patrick stands up to tell his name, the name Rich is added on the good noodle board.
- Patrick's "Big Fat Meanie" drawing before being put into Mrs Puff's drawer appears different from the one that appears as it is put into Mrs Puff's drawer.
- When Mrs. Puff removes one of SpongeBob's good noodle stars, the star appears bigger than the other ones.
- When Mrs. Puff tells SpongeBob that she is done with his nonsense and tells him to gather all of his stuff, SpongeBob appears to have nothing with him despite the fact that he brought his backpack earlier in the episode.
- When SpongeBob says "You cost me one of my good noodle stars," the closed captions say "You caused me one of my good noodle stars."
- After SpongeBob reads on the desk in the back of the room 'Skool is 4 Chumps,' and as he says "Where am I?" his arms appear to be smaller than usual, and his sleeves and arms are on his lower face.
- This could have been because he was scared therefore it was done to add a touch of comedy as his face tends to get smaller when he is scared or in a situation he finds undesirable, Such as in Karate.
- When Roger says "Hey, what I miss?" his mouth does not sync up to what he was saying.
- The words are faster than his mouth.
- This is because the chick was shot from a real-life camera, instead of animated.
- On some airings of this episode, it instantly ends after Rodger says "Hey! What'd I mi-"
- SpongeBob writes Patrick's name on the good noodle board in capital letters.
- Later on when SpongeBob and Patrick are saving Roger, Patrick's name is in lower case and when Mrs. Puff tells them that she'll give them a golden star each, it is in capitals again.
- The names on the good noodle board change throughout the episode.
- The number of stars per student changes throughout the episode.