- Gary the Snail
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Daydream Mrs. Puff's class
- Mrs. Puff
- Roger (debut)
- Debbie Rechid
- Frankie Billy
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Seahorses (written)
- Nematodes (written)
- Monroe Timmy
- Shelly Fishbowl
- Taylor Fishbowl
- Abigail Marge
- Miss Rechid
- Nat Peterson
- Norma Rechid
- King Neptune (mentioned)
SpongeBob is getting ready to go to school in the morning, and heads out the door, only to see Patrick. Patrick eagerly asks him if he can go jellyfishing. SpongeBob says he has to go to school and asks what Patrick usually does when he's gone. Patrick says that he waits for SpongeBob to get back and SpongeBob feels sorry for Patrick. SpongeBob then tells Patrick that he can come to school with him.
They arrive at 6:20 a.m., and class starts at 9:00 a.m., which SpongeBob considers "Late for being early," he then shows Patrick around the school and explains their classroom's "Good Noodle board" system, where "good noodle stars" are placed on a good noodle board next to the chalkboard. SpongeBob has by far the most stars of anyone in the class, (seventy-four) and adds Patrick's name to the chart so he can start collecting stars. He also shows Roger, an unborn animal egg in a case with only a light-bulb for warmth.
When class starts, Mrs. Puff sees Patrick and asks him his name. He gets nervous and replies with "twenty-four," and the whole class laughs at his response. At their desks, SpongeBob and Patrick laugh among each other about the what comes after number "twenty-four," and Mrs. Puff warns them to pay attention. Later, Patrick draws an ugly picture of Mrs. Puff, calling her a "Big Fat Meanie," and throws it over to SpongeBob's desk.
Mrs. Puff believes the picture was made by SpongeBob and she has a small plastic spatula to remove one of his stars from his good noodles, much to SpongeBob's horror. Mrs. Puff then tells SpongeBob to move to the available desk in the back of the room. Soon after, Patrick tries to tell SpongeBob something, and SpongeBob, becoming very irritated with him, tries to ignore him. Patrick begins tossing spitballs at SpongeBob to get his attention and says that he has "something important" to tell him. SpongeBob finally asks him what he has to say, and Patrick simply says "Hi." SpongeBob is furious, and screams out "Hi!" in frustration. Mrs. Puff angrily says "Perhaps this would be a good time for recess."
During recess, SpongeBob confronts Patrick in the hallway, and they start fighting, so they are both given detention.
During detention, the two say how much they hate each other, and SpongeBob says "I'd hate you even if the light bulb keeping Roger alive went out!" Suddenly, the light bulb goes out, and Roger starts to freeze. Frightened on the inside, SpongeBob and Patrick try to ignore both situations but end up tearfully apologizing, and then they work together to save Roger. SpongeBob keeps the egg warm, while Patrick gets a new light bulb. Patrick reaches the closet and finds a mountain of light-bulbs, but he thinks that the light bulb at the top that is operating is the only one that works and starts climbing the mountain to reach it. SpongeBob is impatient and starts running towards the closet with Roger in his hands, and bumps into Patrick, causing the egg and light bulb to fly into the air.
SpongeBob catches the light bulb, and Patrick catches Roger. Suddenly, Mrs. Puff appears, who had been watching the whole incident through her one-way chalkboard. She decides to give them each one golden star. Patrick then realizes that this was boating school and not "Spanish class." He leaves, saying goodbye to SpongeBob and Mrs. Puff, calling the latter "Big Fat Meanie." After Patrick leaves, Roger suddenly hatches from the egg, revealing to be a live action chick who says, "Hey! What did I miss?" as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Hilo Rag - Guy Fletcher [opening]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Wait a second, Patrick."]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Patrick imagines himself in SpongeBob's class]
‣ Stiff Upper Lip - Paddy Kingsland [SpongeBob showing Patrick around]
‣ Hula Festival - George Elliott [the classroom]
‣ The Oracle - David Farnon [SpongeBob describing Roger]
‣ Steel Sting (c) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Patrick giggling]
‣ Dramatic Climax - Mike Sunderland [Patrick nervous]
‣ So Tired - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [everyone laughs]
‣ Stepping into Danger - Mike Sunderland [Big Fat Meanie/Mrs. Puff sees Patrick's drawing]
‣ National Mourning - Gerhard Trede [Mrs. Puff removes one of SpongeBob's stars]
‣ Lonely Heart's Club (a) - David Bell, Otto Sieben [SpongeBob is sent to the back of the room]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [Patrick shoots spitballs at SpongeBob]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick fighting]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["This is embarrasing."]
‣ Point of Departure O - Gregor F. Narholz [Mrs. Puff catches SpongeBob and Patrick "red-handed."]
‣ Point of Departure M - Gregor F. Narholz [Mrs. Puff sentences SpongeBob and Patrick to detention]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill ["In one day I've gone from good noodle to bad egg."]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm..."]
‣ Killer Birds - Gregor F. Narholz [Roger freezing]
‣ Heroes Win - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick save Roger]
‣ Tiroler Jodler 2 - Werner Brueggemann [Patrick climbing the mountain of light bulbs]
‣ Heroes Win - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick save Roger]
‣ Horlepiep - Jan Rap [ending]
- This episode is available on the Sponge for Hire (with storyboard version on the special features), Complete 3rd Season, First 100 Episodes, Complete Third Season, and SpongeBob and Friends: Patrick SquarePants DVDs.
- "New Student Starfish" was ranked #55 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- This is one of the very few episodes where Mrs. Puff, apparently, does not show any hatred towards SpongeBob. She treats him equally, compared to everyone else. It's likely that this episode takes place before all the other episodes where Mrs. Puff became fed up with SpongeBob's antics.
- This is the first time Patrick goes to Mrs. Puff's Boating School.
- In the original storyboard version featured on the special features on the Sponge for Hire DVD, after Patrick leaves in the ending, SpongeBob says, "Can I have his star?"
- In all airings, it wasn't animated and the line was cut.
- This episode premiered in Canada on December 13, 2002.
- There is a chapter book based on this episode.
- When Patrick pictures Mrs. Puff's class like a class photo day, the black sign in front of the kids in the front reads "Mrs. Puff's Driving School," but Mrs. Puff's school sign says "Mrs. Puff's Boating School."
- SpongeBob and Patrick arrive at boating school at 6:20 A.M.
- When Mrs. Puff opens the drawers in her desk to put the paper that Patrick drew of her, many different papers making fun of Mrs. Puff can be seen inside that drawer.
- When Mrs. Puff tells SpongeBob and Patrick, "May Neptune have mercy on your souls," it is a reference to the phrase, "May God have mercy on your soul," which a judge says to a convict who's about to receive the death penalty.
- In one airing, Roger says "Hey!," but the second sentence, "What did I miss?," is absent, because the episode instantly ended.
- In the Israel dub, Roger, at the end of the episode, says "תעברו לסיפור הבא," which translates to "Get to the next story!"
- In most episodes, the Boating School is just one room. In this episode, however, it looks like a real school.
- This is the first episode to have a chalkboard as the title card background.
- Patrick's "Big Fat Meanie" drawing before being put into Mrs Puff's drawer appears different from the one that appears as it is put into Mrs Puff's drawer.
- When Mrs. Puff removes one of SpongeBob's good noodle stars, the star appears bigger than the other ones.
- When Mrs. Puff tells SpongeBob that she is done with his nonsense and tells him to get all of his stuff, SpongeBob appears to have nothing with him despite the fact that he brought his backpack earlier in the episode.
- On some airings of this episode, it instantly ends after Rodger says "Hey! What'd I mi-"
- SpongeBob writes Patrick's name on the good noodle board in capital letters.
- Later on, when SpongeBob and Patrick are saving Roger, Patrick's name is in lower case and when Mrs. Puff tells them that she'll give them a golden star each, it is in capitals again.
- The names on the good noodle board change throughout the episode.
- The number of stars per student changes throughout the episode.