- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Larry the Lobster
- Incidental 93
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 81
- Incidental 114
- King Neptune (debut)
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 62
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 5
- Incidental 9
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 46
- Old Man Walker
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 67
- Incidental 39
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 85
- Incidental 12
- Incidental 3
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 28
- Incidental 97
- Incidental 96
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 68
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 104
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 108
- Incidental 107
- Tom Kenny (cameo)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Crowd at the Poseidome Colosseum
- Incidental 25
- Incidental 37B
- Swordfish (debut)
- Incidental 32
- Incidental 103
- Gary the Snail (rough storyboard)
In the beginning of the episode, SpongeBob and Patrick are visiting the Fry Cook Museum, where they see a greasy griddle with a golden spatula embedded in the grease. On it is a plaque, which reads "Many have tried to pull this spatula out of this ancient grease, but all have failed." Larry the Lobster then attempts to pull it out but fails. SpongeBob then reads "Only a fry cook who's worthy of King Neptune himself can wield the golden spatula." SpongeBob, while posing for a photo, accidentally and effortlessly pulls it out while pointing out the menu section to a woman, then she says as a guy "Holy smokes!" but then it turns out she meant it in a literal sense because then King Neptune appears.
Neptune asks who pulled out the spatula, and everyone says it was SpongeBob. King Neptune refuses to believe this and asks for proof. Patrick shows him the photograph he took, but Neptune still refuses to allow such a lowly being as SpongeBob to become the royal fry cook. He challenges SpongeBob to a patty-making competition The Ultimate Cookoff. If SpongeBob wins, he will stay at Atlantis forever and become a god. If he loses, he has to give up fry cooking forever. Patrick continually jeers to Neptune about SpongeBob's skills and says that he could complete up to 500 challenges. He is repeatedly zapped by Neptune three times until all that is left of him is a burnt mark on the floor. SpongeBob asks Neptune to restore Patrick and he does so (only with Patrick's face now on his butt).
In the Poseidome, King Neptune makes 1,000 Krabby Patties, in the time it takes SpongeBob to make just one, winning the challenge. However, when Neptune shares his patties with the audience, they think that they taste awful. Neptune is angered by this and asks why they would think that SpongeBob's would be any better.
He tastes SpongeBob's Krabby Patty and finds it to be delicious. Neptune releases the patty back out and eats it again, saying "I think I'd like to try it a second time," disgusting the audience in the process.
SpongeBob is declared the winner, but when he finds out that his friends cannot come with him to Atlantis, he tearfully refuses to go to Atlantis, and instead arranges for King Neptune to be a trainee under SpongeBob at the Krusty Krab, teaching him that "perfect Patties are made with love, not magic." As the episode ends.
- King Neptune zapping Patrick whenever he interrupts him.
According to Jay Lender's Twitter account, there was a scene for King Neptune flexing his moustache, and Patrick and Gary being as the audience for SpongeBob during Mr. Krabs' announcement were cut because of time constraints.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ The Tale of Ben Hur 1 [#41.02] - Gregor F. Narholz [title card]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill [opening]
‣ Honolulu Lula - Terry Day [SpongeBob and Patrick at the Fry Cook Museum]
‣ Roman Legion - David Farnon [the golden spatula]
‣ Heavenly Voices (b) - David Farnon [choir]
• Tension Build - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob pulls out the spatula]
‣ Gates of Troy - David Farnon [Neptune appears]
‣ A Dangerous Affair [#30] - Richard Myhill ["A fine jest, boy."]
‣ The Black Death - David Farnon [hot dog vendor]
‣ A Dangerous Affair [#30] - Richard Myhill ["It is even funnier a second time!"]
‣ The Black Death - David Farnon [Neptune compliments Larry]
‣ Sunset Strip - Reg Owen [Neptune and Larry making poses]
‣ Brave and Bold - Chris Payne, Paul Rogers ["This joke has gone far enough!"]
‣ In the Taverna - Dick Stephen Walter [photo of SpongeBob holding spatula]
‣ Wargames Linking Section (h) - Keith Mansfield [Patrick zapped.]
‣ Wargames Linking Section (g) - Keith Mansfield [Neptune issues a challenge.]
‣ Battle March Link (f) - Keith Mansfield ["Your friend's arrogance will cost you dearly."/"Three challenges!"/"There will be but one challenge."]
‣ Salute to Caesar 1 [#18.02] - Gregor F. Narholz ["You will face me in... the ultimate cook-off!"]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill [Patrick's face is on his butt]
‣ Timpani - Rolls (h) - Gary Kettel [Neptune summons the clouds]
‣ Timpani - Rolls (i) - Gary Kettel ["Now, behold!"]
‣ Happy Jose - Ulrich Hans Wenzel ["My beloved home of Atlantis."]
‣ Wargames Link (d) - Keith Mansfield [SpongeBob has to give up fry cooking if he loses]
• Tymp Fanfare - Nicolas Carr ["Very well, then. To the Poseidome!"]
‣ Roman Legion - David Farnon [the ultimate cook-off]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["Don't worry, lad."]
‣ Whisper from the Past [#64] - Gregor F. Narholz ["Don't give up your dream, SpongeBob."]
‣ Entry of the Heroes E - Gregor F. Narholz [played during the challenge]
‣ Entry of the Heroes A - Gregor F. Narholz [played during the challenge]
‣ Time for Bed [#35.02] - Mark Emney ["Once upon a time..."]
‣ Entry of the Heroes B - Gregor F. Narholz [King Neptune laughs]
‣ Caesar's Entry [#7.4] - Gregor F. Narholz [Neptune wins]
‣ Short Fanfare [#29] - Alfred Kluten ["Free patties for everyone!"]
‣ The Oracle - David Farnon [Neptune eats SpongeBob's patty]
‣ Historical Fanfare [#32.07] - Gerhard Narholz [audience cheers]
‣ Vibe Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["You mean Patrick can't come?"]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill ["It was nice knowing you, buddy."]
‣ Short Fanfare [#29.03] - Alfred Kluten [bicycle appears]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob cries]
‣ Power and Glory - Gregor F. Narholz [Neptune turns SpongeBob into a god]
‣ The Twin Sisters - Chelmsford Folk Band [ending]
- "Neptune's Spatula" was ranked #42 during the Best Day Ever event from November 9–10, 2006.
- "Neptune's Spatula" was ranked #38 during the SpongeBob's Top 100 event in the UK and Ireland from June 4-8, 2012.
- This episode is available on the Fear of a Krabby Patty, Complete 1st Season, The First & Second Seasons, The Ultimate Box Set, Home Sweet Pineapple (Polish only), First 100 Episodes, Really Big Box Set, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Favorite Episodes Volume 2, Movies & TV Collection, The Complete First Season, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 2, Get to Work!, Nickelodeon Fool Proof Fun, From the Beginning, Part 1, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, SpongeBob, You're Fired!, and Fools in April DVDs and on VideoNow.
- This episode is also available on the Nicktoons: Job Well Done VHS.
- This is the first appearance of King Neptune.
- In Bahasa Indonesia, Patrick's lines during the conversation with King Neptune are harsher than in the original version, and include:
- "He is the new royal fry cook and you..." is changed to "He is the damn royal chef and you know that!"
- "Bring it on! SpongeBob can handle any! " is changed to "Just bring the hell it on! SpongeBob can handle every single damn thing!"
- "Only two? What are two challenges to someone like SpongeBob?" is changed to "Only two?! Just two challenges to someone like SpongeBob!?"
- "Three? [laughs] Three challenges are nothing. Might as well be! 500 challenges!" is changed to "Just three? [laughs] Three challenge are nothing at all! Might as well make it 500 challenges!"
- The Bahasa Indonesian version of this episode includes the d-word and the h-word.
- A completely different King Neptune appears in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, and yet another different Neptune appears in the live-action segment of "Party Pooper Pants." However, the Neptune from this episode makes a brief reappearance in "SpongeBob vs. The Patty Gadget." In "Krusty Towers," Squidward mentions King Neptune XIV, which would explain that there are multiple incarnations of Neptune. Also, the same Neptune from this episode appears in "The Clash of Triton," "Hello Bikini Bottom!," and "Trident Trouble."
- The man taking a shower in the live-action sequence is Tom Kenny, the voice actor of SpongeBob.
- Neptune has a real-life human hand when SpongeBob asks him to fix Patrick, except that the human hand skin color is changed to green for Neptune.
- It is unknown how Patrick's face returns to his head in later episodes.
- This the first episode where Atlantis is shown. The second is "Atlantis SquarePantis," where SpongeBob actually goes to Atlantis, but it looks much different.
- In this episode, SpongeBob has two left hands, but in "The Splinter" and "You Don't Know Sponge", he says he is ambidextrous, while in "I Was a Teenage Gary", he says he's left-handed.
- This is the last episode to have Fred Miller as an animation director.
- Prior to the beginning of 2020, Nickelodeon USA originally broadcast this episode and "Fools in April" on April 1 only, making both episodes extremely rare to find on TV. The network has started to broadcast both episodes outside of the holiday, though on occasion.
- The same was also true for "Valentine's Day" and "The Paper". Nickelodeon originally ran both episodes on Valentine's Day only, since the former is an Valentine's Day special. The network also started to broadcast both episodes on occasion.
- Nickelodeon USA only broadcasts "Scaredy Pants", "I Was a Teenage Gary" and "The Legend of Boo-Kini Bottom" on October only, as they're all Halloween specials.
- Nickelodeon USA only broadcasts "Christmas Who?" and "It's a SpongeBob Christmas!" on December only, as they're all Christmas specials.
- Miss Shell's eyes are seen in this episode, whereas in other episodes they are hidden by her sunglasses.
- In this episode, Larry has white stripes on his back, though in other episodes he does not.
- On the old Nickelodeon website, this episode is alternatively known as "The Spatula and the Stove", which was most likely the episode's original title.
- Digiturk incorrectly lists this episode as "Neptune's Spatual."
- The spatula in the grease is a parody of the Arthurian legend of Excalibur or the sword in the stone, in which whoever pulls the sword from the stone would become the King of England.
- The Poseidome is named after Poseidon, the Greek god of the sea, Neptune being the Roman god.
- When Patrick takes the picture of SpongeBob holding the spatula, he has his mouth wide open and there are clouds above him. However, when Patrick shows Neptune the picture, SpongeBob is smiling and there are no clouds, just light.
- Several fish members of the audience at the challenge change colors between scenes.
- When SpongeBob shows Neptune his blue and red underwear, he lets go of the golden spatula. It was supposed to fall onto the ground, but it stays there instead.
- When Neptune says SpongeBob needs to be "left-handed," SpongeBob says he has two left hands, but later, his hands are normal.
- When SpongeBob speaks to Neptune in the kitchen at the end, the walls are light blue instead of teal in the long shots.
- When SpongeBob is standing on the grease, the spatula is as tall as him, but when he is cooking in the challenge, it is the normal length like SpongeBob's spatula.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|