- Incidental 104
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 67
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 37B
- Mrs. Puff
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 150
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- King Neptune (mentioned)
- Gary the Snail
- French narrator
- Incidental 41
- Dolphin (mentioned)
- Clam (mentioned)
- Captain of the Lady Scallion (mentioned)
- Incidental 107
SynopsisAt Mrs. Puff's Boating School, everyone is bored hoping for the class to end while she is talking about steering and SpongeBob is taking notes in an exciting personality. When class ends, Mrs. Puff reminds the class that they are going on a field trip to the Bikini Bottom Museum of Boating tomorrow and the bus will pick them up at 8:00 A.M. When SpongeBob realizes that this is finally his chance to impress Mrs. Puff and get his driver's license, he reads a 7,400-page book called The History of All Boating Ever.... When SpongeBob finishes the book at 7:59 A.M. on the next day, he ends up falling asleep when he realizes that tomorrow is today and he is going to be late for the bus.
He races the bus once it leaves his house. Mrs. Puff, not wanting to deal with SpongeBob's misbehavior, tells Nat, the bus driver, to speed up. But SpongeBob suddenly comes in through the window. While SpongeBob begins talking to Mrs. Puff, she realizes SpongeBob's bad smell and gives him a bottle of Shower in a Can. SpongeBob then starts talking about the trivia of boating, which starts to give Mrs. Puff a headache. So, when the class finally arrives at the museum, SpongeBob is paying no attention as he is still talking about boating to Mrs. Puff, crashes into the front window and gets converted into a puddle outside the bus door, he then is back up again when he sees the museum in front of him.
Mrs. Puff explains it was the largest boat ever that is now converted into a museum and can no longer be operated unless it goes to its yearly check at the port. Throughout the day, SpongeBob keeps interrupting Mrs. Puff to tell the students what she is about to say, much to her chagrin. Right, when the class is about to leave, Mrs. Puff notices that SpongeBob has gone missing, it turns out that he was in the driving room of the boat! He turns on the air conditioners on very high without noticing, which accidentally starts the boat.
When Mrs. Puff finds SpongeBob as she came back into the museum, she tries to stop the boat when she noticed it has been started, but she has never driven any boat so advanced before! So when she notices that the boat is going to crash into Bikini Bottom after SpongeBob turns the boat on Turbo Speed, SpongeBob tries to stop the boat by battening down the hatches, lowering the anchor, uttering a hearty seaman's laugh, and doing the reverse 720 tailspin. And right when the boat is about to destroy Bikini Bottom, it stops, only tapping the first building. When Mrs. Puff and SpongeBob leave the boat, Mrs. Puff gives SpongeBob his driver's license due to her impression.
However, she is outraged when she finds out that the museum owner was simply taking the boat into Bikini Bottom for a checkup at the port and that he was doing all of the driving. So she tears up SpongeBob's driver's license and SpongeBob becomes saddened. The museum owner then suggests that they should go get some ice cream to cheer SpongeBob up. When the three are about to go have ice cream, SpongeBob notices that the headlights of the boat are still on. So as the museum owner and Mrs. Puff tell SpongeBob not to touch anything. SpongeBob flips the boat on its opposite side as Mrs. Puff inflates once again, ending the episode.
In the original storyboard, there was a deleted scene that showed Mrs. Puff giving her class an acronym to remember: CALAMITY, standing for "Calm And Lively Awareness Makes Impervious Trip (for) You."
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap [opening at boating school]
• Steel Licks 2 - Jeremy Wakefield [that night]
‣ Sea Battle [#48] - John Fox [The History Of All Boating Ever]
• Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob starts reading]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [7:59 AM]
‣ Drama Link (b) - Hubert Clifford ["Hang on a minute, IT IS TOMORROW!"]
• Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob runs after the bus]
‣ Hit and Run - Sam Spence ["Step on it!"]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [shower in a can]
‣ Captain Pugwash - Johnny Pearson [model of HMS Pinafore]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob telling Mrs. Puff boating trivia]
‣ Nautical Discovery [#97] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [exterior of boating museum]
• Steel Licks 7 - Jeremy Wakefield ["No problemo, Mrs. P."]
‣ Nautical Fantacy - W Trytel [inside the museum]
‣ Unknown Track 37 - Nicolas Carr ["I can now taste the sweet lamination of a fresh boating license."]
‣ The Jovial Buccaneers [#33] - John Fox [The Lady Scallion]
‣ The Navy Lark - James Moody, Tommy Reilly [museum montage]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr ["SpongeBob?"]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob missing]
‣ Nautical Fantacy - W Trytel ["Oh, boy, here it is. The main controls."]
‣ Dramatic Sea Battle - Gerhard Trede [SpongeBob accidentally starts the boat]
‣ Fierce Fight - Gerhard Trede [alarm goes off]
‣ The Jovial Buccaneers [#32] - John Fox ["Chapter 1: Batten down the hatches."]
‣ Bucaneers 5 [#12] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [reverse 720 tailspin]
‣ Horlepiep - Jan Rap [SpongeBob and Mrs. Puff leave the museum]
‣ Unknown Track 37 - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob's license]
‣ Epic of the South - Larry Hochman ["Oh, boy! At long last!"]
‣ Spanish Ladies (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock [the museum was being tugged into port]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford ["Don't touch anything, you twit!"]
• Steel Licks 8 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob goes to turn off the headlights]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [boat flips over]
- This episode is available on the Spongicus, Season 6 Volume 1, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 9, Complete Sixth Season, Driving Bikini Bottom Crazy!, Next 100 Episodes, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- This marks the 200th episode segment of the series in production order.
- This episode premiered on the same day as the 2008 Kids' Choice Awards.
- This is the fifth episode (along with the episode "Spongicus") to premiere on the same day as the Kids' Choice Awards. The first was "Help Wanted"/"Reef Blower"/"Tea at the Treedome" in 1999, the second was "Krabby Land"/"The Camping Episode" in 2004, the third was "Krusty Towers"/"Mrs. Puff, You're Fired" in 2006, and the fourth was "Born to Be Wild"/"Best Frenemies" in 2007.
- The title card for this episode looks similar to that of "Krusty Love," except it has a red background with black crabs on a gray net.
- The title card for "Nautical Novice" also possesses more crabs on the net than "Krusty Love."
- The episode's title refers to the dialogue line in the SpongeBob SquarePants Theme Song "If nautical nonsense be something you wish." The words "Nautical Nonsense" are changed to "Nautical Novice."
- Mrs. Puff actually throws away her chance to have SpongeBob out of her life.
- This was the first episode to be written by Derek Iversen.
- This episode first aired with "Spongicus," but was later paired up with "Penny Foolish."
- The 7:59 AM time card is the same title card background used for "Wormy," but without the bubbles.
- The Bikini Bottom Museum of Boating may be a reference to the USS Midway Museum in San Diego, California, as both feature every display on a large ship.
- Triple Screw is a fancy term for three propellers.
- The license that Mrs. Puff gives SpongeBob says it expires on December 14, 2003. It is the same one from the episodes "Sleepy Time" and "No Free Rides."
- The license that Mrs. Puff gives to SpongeBob says that he has yellow hair. Even though SpongeBob does not have hair at all, but in "The Smoking Peanut," he tells Sandy that he needs to get a haircut. SpongeBob has one hair, as seen in "Krusty Krab Training Video." SpongeBob combs and dries his hair in "The Sponge Who Could Fly." He also has lots of brown hair in "SpongeHenge."
- In the German dub, this episode is called "Das Bootskundemuseum," which translates to "The Boat Museum."
- This is the second episode to use the same title card track as its sister. The first time this happened was with "Naughty Nautical Neighbors" and "Boating School."
- The music that plays during the boat museum montage is the theme song from the 1950s British radio sitcom The Navy Lark.
- The beginning of The History of All Boating Ever..., "In the beginning, Neptune created the sail" is a parody of the beginning of the Holy Bible, "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth."
- H.M.S. Pinafore is a play written by Gilbert Schwenk and Arthur Sullivan.
- When Debbie Rechid runs past SpongeBob in the classroom, her shirt briefly disappears.
- SpongeBob's teeth are clenched when he says "Whoa!" while falling down from the ladder.
- When the camera shows a close-up of The History of All Boating Ever... book, SpongeBob's legs disappear from that shot.
- When Mrs. Puff is spraying the Shower in a Can bottle, her fin resembles a human hand with an index finger and a thumb.
- In one part, Evelyn mistakenly has a belly button.
- SpongeBob read all that information in the book and still does not know that "a.c." stands for air conditioning.
- It is impossible to turn a key with air conditioning, even with the highest setting. That's because the keys are solid, and the air is not.
- When Mrs. Puff says "That's not a projection screen!," her lips are out of sync.
- The fish who was tugging the boat is in front of the boat. When the camera zooms out, he is not there.
- SpongeBob really was driving because the tugboat was never there before and the engines and everything else was on, and also everything starts moving when SpongeBob uses the controls.
- When SpongeBob stops the museum, it shows that the bow on the boat lightly taps the first building. But later, when it shows the tugboat guy, it shows in the background that he is not even near the city, which would not give him enough room to be there anyway.
- When SpongeBob and Mrs. Puff see the tugboat guy, the headlights are off. When SpongeBob looks back at the boat, the headlights are suddenly on.
- The July 10, 2020 airing had this episode cropped to 16:9 format.