Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies is the first SpongeBob SquarePants DVD to be released. It was released on March 12, 2002 and contains five episodes from season 1, four episodes from season 2 and one episode from season 3.
The front cover shows SpongeBob looking at his ripped blue swimsuit at Goo Lagoon with a group of fish and Sandy laughing at him. This is a reference to the episode "Ripped Pants." The title is transcribed in yellow text, with the words "Nickelodeon DVD" being on wood.
|2b - "Ripped Pants"|
|14a - "SB-129"|
|18a - "Texas"|
|36a - "Graveyard Shift" Listed as: The Graveyard Shift|
|22a - "Something Smells"|
|List of home videos|
|3a - "Jellyfishing"|
|24a - "Dying for Pie"|
|25a - "Wormy"|
|10b - "F.U.N."|
|42a - "Club SpongeBob"|
|List of home videos|
- Backstage Pants
- SpongeBob's Start
- Graveyard Shift (voice-over)
- Texas (voice-over)
- Dying for Pie (voice-over)
- Drawing Characters
- The Graveyard Shift: In the Beginning
- Show Design
- Currently retired critic Mike Jackson of the DVD Verdict was positive on his review. "Spongebob Squarepants is perfect entertainment for kids and for the young at heart with a sense of humor. Paramount has done a great job bringing these episodes home on DVD. Now I only hope they release another disc with "The Idiot Box," the best piece of anti-television propaganda ever aired on television…because all you need is imagination!"
- This DVD has been re-released in both the UK and Australia.
- All of the episodes that were on this DVD were included on the It's a SpongeBob Christmas! Blu-Ray and the Undersea Antics Volume 1 tape.
- Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies were both originally individual VHS tapes that were combined into one DVD.
- The trailer for this is included as an extra on the PlayStation 2 version of Revenge of the Flying Dutchman.
- The screenshots used on the back of this DVD are promo art images and not actual episode images. Here are those promo art images and what episodes they represent:
- This is the only SpongeBob DVD to use the Paramount logo from 1990 in the opening.
- "Graveyard Shift" and "Club SpongeBob" are the first two episodes to premiere on home video before being aired on television.
- This is the only SpongeBob DVD to be made by the Metropolis DVD company. As a result, the Metropolis DVD logo is used at the end of the credits on this DVD.
- There are no previews on this disc.
- The Turkish release has the following episodes (all are from season 4):
- In all Nickelodeon USA airings of the episode "Something Smells" and iTunes version, SpongeBob walks up to a building and says, "Hi, building!" which causes the building to flee from SpongeBob's breath. He goes up to Patrick and says, "I just don't get it!" and Patrick says, "I don't either."
- On this DVD release, the Nautical Nonsense VHS tape, Canadian airings on YTV and Nickelodeon Canada, Polish airings, UK airings, and Australian airings, the scene instead goes like this:
- SpongeBob: (walks up to a building and waves) I just don't get it! (the building flees)
- Patrick: (offscreen) I don't, either. (SpongeBob walks up to Patrick; the rest of the scene goes as normal, resulting in the same lines being repeated). According to the audio commentary on the Season 2 DVD, this was a sound mixing error. The music also repeats itself incorrectly at that point. It's made obvious since SpongeBob's mouth still clearly says the intended line. However, the closed-captioning on this DVD still uses the original correct line.
- In "Ripped Pants," SpongeBob wears underwear under his swimsuit, but on the cover of this DVD, he doesn't have underwear on.
- Just like The Complete 2nd Season and First 100 Episodes DVDs, "Graveyard Shift" is listed as "The Graveyard Shift" on the episode selection screen and the back of the DVD.
- In the trailer, it shows clips from "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy," "Plankton!," and "Dumped," but those episodes aren't on this DVD.
- The episode selection screen for the first five episodes has a strange sand border on the far right of the screen. It's unknown why it is there.
- ^ Jackson, Mike (2002-03-19). Review - SpongeBob SquarePants: Legends of Bikini Bottom. DVD Verdict. Archived from the original on 2013-09-22. Retrieved on 2019-07-15.
- ^ \\\ m e t r o p o l i s d v d \\\. Archived from the original on 2004-09-17. Retrieved on 2019-07-15.
- ^ Linzmeier, Dan. SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS REVIEW. Archived from the original on 2003-10-24. Retrieved on 2019-07-15.