Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies was the first SpongeBob SquarePants DVD to be released. It was released on March 12, 2002 and contains five episodes from season 1, four episodes from season 2, and one episode from season 3.
|2b - "Ripped Pants"|
|14a - "SB-129"|
|18a - "Texas"|
|36a - "Graveyard Shift" (listed as "The Graveyard Shift")|
|22a - "Something Smells"|
|List of home videos|
|3a - "Jellyfishing"|
|24a - "Dying for Pie"|
|25a - "Wormy"|
|10b - "F.U.N."|
|42a - "Club SpongeBob"|
|List of home videos|
|76b - "Hocus Pocus"|
|76a - "The Thing"|
|75a - "Squidtastic Voyage"|
|79b - "Squid Wood"|
|77b - "Rule of Dumb"|
|List of home videos|
- Backstage Pants
- SpongeBob's Start
- Graveyard Shift (voice-over)
- Texas (voice-over)
- Dying for Pie (voice-over)
- Drawing Characters
- The Graveyard Shift: In the Beginning
- Show Design
- Currently retired critic Mike Jackson of the DVD Verdict was positive on his review: "Spongebob Squarepants [ ] is perfect entertainment for kids and for the young at heart with a sense of humor. Paramount has done a great job bringing these episodes home on DVD. Now I only hope they release another disc with "The Idiot Box," [ ] the best piece of anti-television propaganda ever aired on television…because all you need is imagination!"
- This DVD has been re-released in both the UK and Australia.
- "Club SpongeBob" is the only episode on this DVD from season 3.
- The front cover is re-used from the Nautical Nonsense VHS tape.
- Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies were both originally individual VHS tapes that were combined into one DVD.
- Foreign re-releases of this DVD simply are titled “Nautical Nonsense.”
- "Graveyard Shift" and "Club SpongeBob" were released on this DVD before premiering on TV.
- All of the episodes that are on this DVD were also included on the Undersea Antics Volume 1 VHS tape and It's a SpongeBob Christmas! Blu-ray.
- The trailer for this DVD is included as an extra on the PlayStation 2 version of Revenge of the Flying Dutchman.
- The screenshots used on the back of this DVD are promo art images and not actual episode images. Here are those promo art images and what episodes they represent:
- This is the only SpongeBob DVD to use the Paramount logo from 1990 in the opening.
- This is the only SpongeBob DVD to be made by the Metropolis DVD company. As a result, the Metropolis DVD logo is used at the end of the credits on this DVD.
- There are no previews on this disc.
- In all Nickelodeon USA airings of the episode "Something Smells" and the iTunes version, SpongeBob walks up to a building and says, "Hi, building!" which causes the building to flee from SpongeBob's breath. He goes up to Patrick and says, "I just don't get it!" and Patrick says, "I don't either."
- On this DVD release, the Nautical Nonsense and Undersea Antics Volume 1 VHS tapes, the Nick Scene It? DVD game, Canadian airings on YTV and Nickelodeon Canada, Polish airings, UK airings, and Australian airings, the scene instead goes like this:
- SpongeBob: (walks up to a building and waves) I just don't get it! (the building flees)
- Patrick: (off-screen) I don't, either. (SpongeBob walks up to Patrick; the rest of the scene goes as normal, resulting in the same lines being repeated). According to the audio commentary on the Season 2 DVD, this was a sound mixing error. The music also repeats itself incorrectly at that point. It is made obvious since SpongeBob's mouth still clearly says the intended line. However, the closed-captioning on this DVD still uses the original correct line.
- In "Ripped Pants," SpongeBob wears underwear under his swimsuit, but on the cover of this DVD, he does not have underwear on.
- "Graveyard Shift" is listed as "The Graveyard Shift" on the episode selection screen and the back of the DVD.
- In the trailer, it shows clips from "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy," "Plankton!," and "Dumped," but those episodes are not on this DVD.
- The episode selection screen for the first five episodes has a strange sand border on the far right of the screen.
- The Paramount logo appears on the DVD, even though it was made by the Metropolis DVD company.
- ^ Jackson, Mike (2002-03-19). Review - SpongeBob SquarePants: Legends of Bikini Bottom. DVD Verdict. Archived from the original on 2013-09-22. Retrieved on 2019-07-15.
- ^ \\\ m e t r o p o l i s d v d \\\. Archived from the original on 2004-09-17. Retrieved on 2019-07-15.
- ^ Linzmeier, Dan. SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS REVIEW. Archived from the original on 2003-10-24. Retrieved on 2019-07-15.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.