Squidward has made a delicious soufflé, but SpongeBob and Patrick's constant laughing distracts him from enjoying it. Squidward sees that they are having a private conversation with bubbles. They whisper a message into the bubble wand instead of blowing into it, and when the bubble pops, the message can be heard.
Annoyed by this, Squidward makes bubbles of his own using the liquid from his soufflé and proceeds to insult the two while imitating their voices to ruined their friendship. Thinking the bubbles are from each other, SpongeBob and Patrick become angry and get into a fight, eventually declaring that they are no longer friends before storming back to their houses (unaware that Squidward is the one whose causing this). Squidward comes outside and eats his soufflé while laughing, but in doing so, he chokes on the fork he was using and faints. Patrick witnesses this and saves his life by performing CPR on him (which is basically blowing him up and as the air comes out, the fork can be seen spluttering in between his lips).
Squidward thanks him and he becomes Patrick's new friend, inviting him into his house to watch him practice his clarinet composition called "Solitude in E Minor." Despite Patrick claiming to love music, he immediately falls asleep as soon as Squidward plays a single note.
Meanwhile, a lonely SpongeBob tries to cheer himself up by drawing faces on three of his fingers and pretending they are his "friends," but this doesn't work.
Back outside, Squidward drags the still asleep Patrick out of his house, and in the process, he throws his back out. SpongeBob sees this as an opportunity to help him and, despite protests from Squidward, he dives into the latter's back and cracks it back into place. Squidward screams but immediately feels better. But he makes the mistake of referring to SpongeBob as his "friend" while thanking him, thus making SpongeBob believe that Squidward is his new best friend.
They both walk into Squidward's house, where SpongeBob plays a song (badly) for Squidward on his double bass (which he thinks is a bassinet) and when Patrick appears in the window and interrupts the song, SpongeBob destroys the instrument in a fit of rage. A furious Squidward angrily kicks him out as a result, and decides to take a bubble bath, but is horrified to find Patrick lounging in the tub. Squidward furiously orders him to leave, but SpongeBob appears through the window and discovers this, causing the two to argue again. This drives Squidward crazy, and he flees his house, hiding in a trash can outside. Seeing the huge mess he created, Squidward realizes he needs a plan to get SpongeBob and Patrick to become friends again (and thus leave him alone).
Squidward decides to invite SpongeBob and Patrick to a dinner party (without telling either of them that the other is coming) to repair their friendship. When they arrive, they are still mad at each other. Squidward tries to get them back together by offering them soda, but the situation devolves into a competition to see who can drink the most soda and thus become Squidward's friend. Eventually, Squidward runs out of soda and leaves to get some more, telling the two to stay and "chat." While he is gone, SpongeBob and Patrick, who are both extremely fat from all the soda they drank, still refuse to talk or even look at each other. SpongeBob then hiccups a small bubble that makes a burping sound upon popping, which amuses them both and they become friends again. However, they create so many bubbles from laughing that it causes Squidward's house to explode. Upon arriving back and seeing the destruction, Squidward angrily tells the two to leave, and slams the door (which is somehow still standing) shut. A bubble pops near the door, causing it to fall over and crush Squidward, who moans "Ohhh! My back...." as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Nostalgic Hawaii - George de Fretes, Jan Rap [opening]
‣ SpongeBob Closing Theme - Steve Belfer, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Patrick blowing bubbles]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [Squidward blowing bubbles]
‣ Death Trap - Gregor F. Narholz [Squidward choking]
‣ Oyster Girls - Robert Alexander White [Patrick does CPR on him]
‣ Grass Skirts Blowing - Jan Rap ["Wow, Patrick, you saved me!"]
‣ Wishful Thinking - Richard Myhill [Squidward starts playing clarinet]
‣ Botany Bay (b) - Robert Alexander White [SpongeBob's lonely]
‣ Heroes Win - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob saves Squidward]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer ["Thanks, SpongeBob."]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [Squidward angrily kicks SpongeBob out]
‣ Shock (c) - Dave Hewson [Patrick in Squidward's bathtub]
‣ Fates [#61.03] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick argue]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [later...]
‣ Hawaiian Train - Victor Cavini [Squidward invites SpongeBob and Patrick over]
‣ Maui Beach - Hans Haider [SpongeBob and Patrick left alone]
‣ Hilo March - The Hawaiian Serenaders [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeGuard on Duty, Complete First Season, First 100 Episodes, and Tea at the Treedome DVDs.
- As of June 10, 2019, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.7/10 based on 633 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.4/10 based on 262 votes.
- This episode marks the first time the same title card music is used for this episode as the title card music for its sister episode, although different sections of the music are used.
- Squidward's "Solitude in E Minor" is not in E minor. It is impossible to tell what key it is in, as there are only two notes - C and F (a perfect fourth), respectively. If it was E minor, the F would be sharp. There are keys that it cannot be in, which are:
- G major, D major, A major, E major, B major, F# major, C# major, C♭ major, F♭ major, E minor, B minor, F# minor, C# minor, G# minor, D# minor, A# minor, E♭ minor
- When SpongeBob asks Squidward to play an A, he actually plays a B♭/A#. Even when transposed to B♭, Squidward plays a Clarinet's C.
- On one airing, after The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie showing, the cut-short version of the Nickelodeon Movies logo from the 2002 film Hey Arnold!: The Movie was shown before this episode.
- This was the first episode that Sherm Cohen and Aaron Springer worked on.
- This is the first episode of the series where the "a"s in the crew member's names are not filled in. It has remained this way since.
- "Plankton!" was the last episode to have filled in "a"s.
- Squidward's impression of SpongeBob has a New Jersey accent.
- Even though the party was deemed a "dinner party," there was no actual food served at the party, rather soda.
- It is revealed that in spite of his low intellect, Patrick can correctly utilize CPR.
- This is the first episode to show what the backside of Squidward's and Patrick's houses look like.
- When Squidward goes into the bathroom and screams, and the scene cuts to Patrick in Squidward's bath, it has become an internet fad called "Guess who's in Squidward's bath," which has a scary or funny face replacing Patrick's face.
- When Patrick falls asleep when Squidward plays "Solitude in E minor," it has become an internet fad called "Patrick thinks [song, singer or band] is boring" where a scene of a song will play, and the scene where Patrick is asleep then plays.
- SpongeBob says he has been playing a bassinet for years. However, a bassinet is a type of cradle. SpongeBob was actually playing the double bass or a contrabass, though the specific instrument he was playing resembled an instrument called a "viola da gamba," a baroque instrument.
- The scene where SpongeBob accidentally spears a picture of Squidward with the bassinet's bow after playing too hard has become an internet fad called "SpongeBob attacks his enemy," where a funny or normal face replaces the painting of Squidward.
- In Arabic, this episode is called "الجيران المزعجة," which means "Disturbing the Neighbors."
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Nieznośni sąsiedzi," which translates to "Annoying Neighbors."
- In Serbian, this episode's name is "Najbolji Prijatelji," or "'Best Friends."
- In the Croatian dub, the episode title is the same, only that is "Neighbor" instead of "Neighbors."
- An image of Patrick saving Squidward is featured on the protective case of The SpongeBob SquarePants Experience: A Deep Dive into the World of Bikini Bottom. However, Squidward does not appear in the image.
- This episode marks the first usages of the APM tracks "Nostalgic Hawaii," "Gator," "On the Beach," and "Fates."
- When SpongeBob is playing the string bass at Squidward's house, there are only three strings instead of four. However, when SpongeBob smashes the bass, one can see that it now has four strings.
- As Patrick and Squidward are walking into Squidward's house, his back window has no glass.
- The glass also disappears at the beginning when Squidward walks outside. It is not there when he walks out, but appears when he sits down.
- When SpongeBob appears in Squidward's bathroom through his ear window, the window has no glass. Also, in the next shot, which shows the outside of Squidward's house, SpongeBob is not there, and the ear windows are not even visible.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are stuffed with soda, SpongeBob's holes are missing.
- When Squidward returns to his house just as it is destroyed, he has a grocery bag and keys. Afterward, the bag and keys disappear.
- If one looks closely when SpongeBob is looking at Patrick and Squidward out the window, his eyelashes and holes are missing.
- Also, he has five fingers for a shot rather than four.
- If one examines SpongeBob's house surrounding this scene, he is looking through an open glass-less window, but all the windows that could see Squidward's house are shut and have glass covering them. Same goes for when he jumps through the open window.
- In the soda scene, if one looks closely, at one point Patrick's soda fizz stops moving.
- In this episode, Gary's shell is smaller than usual.
- When SpongeBob gets kicked out of Squidward's house, he is far away from the house, but when the scene changes he is right near his house.
- Just before SpongeBob says, "Aha! So this is what I see huh, my best friend and my ex-best friend and rubber bath toys," the sailboat flickers blue for about one second.
- When SpongeBob uses bubbles to communicate and when Squidward is tricking them with the fake bubbles, the lines on SpongeBob's socks disappear between shots.
- When SpongeBob yells at Patrick, his bubble wand is thrown to the ground, but when SpongeBob tells Patrick he doesn't want to see him again, it is missing.
- The hinge on Patrick's rock disappears between when he is smashed and when he notices that Squidward is choking.
- When Squidward explains that SpongeBob and Patrick are his two best friends, Patrick's mouth turns pink for a brief moment.
- When SpongeBob is playing the string bass, the window is just a hole in the wall, but when Patrick appears, it becomes a glass window with a hinge on the side.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|