- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Sea urchins
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Fire Fish (debut)
- Patrick Star
- Squidward Tentacles
- Sandy Cheeks
- Large Snail (debut)
- Gary the Snail
SynopsisAt the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob daydreams of living with the jellyfish in Jellyfish Fields. He accidentally starts a fire, and a fireman runs in and turns on the hose. SpongeBob though is in the way, thus fills up with the water and falls on the fire, putting it out. Mr. Krabs asks SpongeBob why he was not concentrating, and SpongeBob explains that he wishes to live in the wild. He moves to Jellyfish Fields, and gives Patrick mayonnaise, old phone books, and his special jellyfishing net, "Ol' Reliable."
He even takes off everything he is wearing, except his shoes. SpongeBob tries to fit in with the jellyfish, but he just cannot get the hang of it. Meanwhile, Patrick and Sandy have a set-up picnic to try to trick SpongeBob into coming back. They eat Krabby Patties, as an attempt to bribe SpongeBob, but he resists. A crazed and heartbroken Patrick then tries to catch him with Ol' Reliable while jellyfishing, but fails when SpongeBob jumps into the jellyfish hive, where he takes to eating the jelly inside. Upon the swarm's return, SpongeBob greets them in a friendly manner, but is then repeatedly stung and chased into a cave by them. Disheartened, but not giving up yet, SpongeBob tries to sleep in a cave, using a fern as a blanket, but ultimately ends up getting covered in poison sea urchins, making him run around itching like crazy.
Finally deciding that the wild is not as good as he thought, SpongeBob returns to Bikini Bottom and, after seeing Sandy's Treedome and the Krusty Krab, realizes his mistake; he had a great life and friends, and gave it all up. Upon his return to the pineapple, he is greeted with a massive "Welcome Home" party, the others apparently having been expecting him. All is forgiven, SpongeBob puts his clothes back on as a favor to Squidward, and everyone group-hugs. However, the poison sea urchin bacteria spreads, and everyone except SpongeBob becomes itchy.
A scene showing SpongeBob being nearly naked, though his bottom was covered, was deleted due to nudity references.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Migldi Magldi - Jennifer Jones [title card]
‣ Where Dreams Come True (a) - Ron Goodwin [opening]
‣ On Fire - Gregor F. Narholz [grill on fire]
‣ Variety Link (d) - Dick Stephen Walter ["Hooray!"]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [SpongeBob in Krabs' office]
‣ Captain Lenoe's - Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie [Krabs laughs]
‣ Salute to Caesar 1 - Gregor F. Narholz [golden scepter]
‣ Hawaiian Holiday - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob quits]
‣ Queen's Aloha Oe (c) - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani [SpongeBob giving away all his stuff]
‣ Wondrous Pastures - John Fox [SpongeBob in Jellyfish Fields]
‣ Grass Skirts Blowing - Jan Rap [SpongeBob following jellyfish]
‣ Sad Parting (a) - Paddy Kingsland [Patrick reading script]
‣ Jungle Baby - Hans Ehrlinger [Squidward throwing a party]
‣ Sad Parting (a) - Paddy Kingsland ["I'm happy here. This is my home now."]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob imitating jellyfish]
‣ Lovely Scenery (c) - Mladen Franko [Patrick with a net]
‣ Musical Box (a) - Dave Hewson ["I'm gonna make you a trophy!"]
‣ Flight in Panic 1 - Gregor F. Narholz [Patrick chases SpongeBob]
‣ The Gypsy Violinist - Dick Stephen Walter [Patrick gives up]
‣ Stack of Leis - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob in a cave]
‣ Killer Birds - Gregor F. Narholz [poison sea urchins]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob itching]
‣ Botany Bay (b) - Robert Alexander White [SpongeBob going back home]
‣ Nostalgic Hawaii - Jan Rap [ending]
- As of June 11, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.5/10 based on 309 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.5/10 based on 206 votes.
- "Nature Pants" was ranked #43 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- This episode is available on the Nickelodeon's Adventures, Complete 1st Season, SpongeBob Goes Prehistoric, The Best of SpongeBob SquarePants and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- This episode aired exactly two years before the September 11th terrorist attacks in the U.S.
- The idea for the episode may have been based on the true story of American adventurer Christopher McCandless, who in 1990 abandoned his family and material possessions to pursue a natural, solitary life deep within the Alaskan wilderness.
- This is the first time the 11 minutes is referenced. After SpongeBob leaves, Sandy says she will give him a week to come back, but Squidward says he will give him eleven minutes. This is a reference to approximately how long an average episode of a cartoon is which could also say that Squidward broke the fourth wall.
- Squidward makes another reference to 11 minutes in the episode "Club SpongeBob" with the line "Why must every eleven minutes of my life be filled with misery?"
- This also happens in "Missing Identity," when "Betty" says SpongeBob managed to kill 11 minutes.
- In the episode "Planet of the Jellyfish," there was a title card that said Eleven Minutes Later which also breaks the fourth wall in a way.
- During the initial scene in the Krusty Krab, the grill is shown facing the opposite side of the window. This also occurs in "Suds," "Your Shoe's Untied," and "My Pretty Seahorse."
- Some people recall SpongeBob acting like Tarzan in a scene when it premiered. The mysterious scene was probably just a confusion with SpongeBob JunglePants in "The Paper."
- This episode marks the first appearance of Ol' Reliable. It would later be seen in "The Pink Purloiner" and "Best Day Ever."
- Patrick is shown to not be a good actor as he said a stage direction, "take bite," out loud. This probably was not an accidental failure, but just showing how unintelligent Patrick is.
- This is the first time SpongeBob is seen in a jellyfish cave. The second will be in "I'm Your Biggest Fanatic" and the third will be "SpongeHenge."
- When SpongeBob says "Ah, my Jellyfish brothers are returning," he was looking at the screen, meaning he could have been talking to the viewers, thus breaking the fourth wall.
- This was the first time SpongeBob wanted to be like a jellyfish. The second time is in "The Sponge Who Could Fly."
- In the episode, "Squid's Visit," Squidward said that he has never went to SpongeBob's house, but at the end of this episode, Squidward, Patrick, Sandy and Mr. Krabs visit SpongeBob at his house. It is most likely that this episode took place after "Squid's Visit."
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Naturalista" (Naturalist).
- In Croatian dub, the episode name is "Povratak Prirodi" or "Back to the Nature."
- The fire extinguisher disappears after the fire is put out.
- When the giant snail meows, the original captions say "Wow!"
- Sandy's head is smaller than it usually is.
- Sandy should not have felt the sea urchins because she is in her underwater suit.
- The jellyfish hive appears to be smaller on the outside and bigger on the inside.
- The side view of the Krusty Krab when SpongeBob was walking to it was wrong, it was a long length version of the restaurant with the (KK) Logo at the end of it, and the restaurant should have been shorter.
- When the fire extinguisher hits the grill, the patties are shifted significantly to the left, with one floating in mid-air in front of the cabinet. This is corrected in the next scene (right before the grill bursts into flames).
- When SpongeBob went to his house he appears in the back of his house instead of the front door of his house.
- In the Latin American version of this episode, Patrick still calls Sandy, "Sandy," despite the fact that Sandy is called "Arenita" (meaning "little sand") in the Latin American version.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|