"My leg!" is a stock sound effect voiced by Mr. Lawrence that consists of the titular exclamation and is mostly associated with the character Fred. The effect has been used throughout SpongeBob SquarePants as a running gag akin to the famous Wilhelm scream. The season 11 episode "My Leg!" pays homage to the gag.
List of instances
- "Boating School" — SpongeBob crashes a boat into a lighthouse causing it to fall over twice.
- "Hall Monitor" — SpongeBob makes all the cars crash together.
- "Culture Shock" — Pearl finishes her act.
- "The Chaperone" — Chaos at the Bikini Bottom High School.
- "Karate Choppers" — SpongeBob beats up Fred.
- "Sleepy Time" — Plankton zaps the town.
- "Suds" — Chaos at the Krusty Krab when the customers thought that SpongeBob sneezed in their Krabby Patties.
- "Arrgh!" — Mr. Krabs throws Fred out of the Krusty Krab.
- "Walking Small" — SpongeBob spreads sand on people with a towel, this time with Harold "Bill" Reginald. This is the most nonsensical use of the gag as he only got sand in his eyes. Therefore, his legs were not damaged in any way, so he should have said, "My eyes!" However, it is possible he hurt one of his legs escaping the onslaught.
- "Something Smells" — SpongeBob brings his stench to the band.
- "Wormy" — Chaos in Bikini Bottom comes with Sandy's butterfly.
- "No Free Rides" — Mrs. Puff imagining SpongeBob with the boat running over a party.
- "Squid on Strike" - The fish are running over Squidward.
- "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV" — SpongeBob trying to put everyone in the jar.
- "As Seen on TV" — After Mr. Krabs orders the commercial crew to leave, Fred is seen holding a giant leg along with others.
- "Boat Smarts" - Heard after SpongeBob runs over some boaters.
- "Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob" – Heard faintly as Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy are destroying the Shady Shoals Rest Home.
- "Krusty Krushers" — All the wrestlers except two have been defeated.
- "Shuffleboarding" — The jail explodes.
- "Glove World R.I.P." - One fish says, "Oh, my leg can't feel me" after he and other fish fall off the Glove World! glove pole.
- "Squid Baby" — After getting drawn on his face by a baby-minded Squidward, Nat Peterson says "My face! My face! Also my leg, but mostly my face!" (Here it is mentioned but not actually referred to.)
- "Larry's Gym" — Frankie Billy gets hit with a grill, causing him to say, "My legs!"
- "Lame and Fortune" — A piano falls on Ivy's legs.
- "Pineapple Invasion" — Plankton's fake leg breaks.
- "Mutiny on the Krusty" — A blade goes out in the middle of the Krusty Krab.
- "Code Yellow" — After getting run over by SpongeBob, Bikini Bottom Marathon Number Seven screams "My legs!"
- "Larry the Floor Manager" — Fred falls off the treadmill.
- "Pat the Horse" — A kid says "My little leg!" when he crashes to the ground after Pat the Horse tosses him off. And after the kid gets run over by Pat the Horse, he says, "My other little leg!"
- "Grandmum's the Word" — Everyone fighting for the Krabby Patty.
- "My Leg!" — Most of the episode, with 73 mentions of just "leg" and 43 of those being "My leg":
- 12 are heard in the compilation at the start of the episode.
- 6 while the doctor cuts off Fred's cast.
- The flashback to where Fred gets his leg run over by SpongeBob's toy freight train.
- Any time "My leg," "Your leg," "His leg" or "Fred's leg" is heard, it is spoken in a loud and exaggerated way.
- Patrick says this twice when showing SpongeBob his leg after having a few bites taken out of it.
- SpongeBob accidentally hits the convict's foot.
- Tom gains SpongeBob's leg to replace his missing robotic leg.
- SpongeBob says this after his leg grows back.
- 8 are heard in the My Leg! song.
- Fred's leg snaps off at the ending.
- "Shopping List" — Fred screams this as the Krusty Krab floor turns to its other side, revealing a shopping cart containing a bag full of the real secret ingredients.
- "ChefBob" — Fred screams this when Mr. Krabs told SpongeBob to break a leg during his cooking show. Krabs then responds to it, yelling, "Shut up, Fred!"
- "Call the Cops" — Fred screams this in the background while Plankton is looking for the secret formula in the evidence room.
- "Bubbletown" — A bubble version of Fred says this when SpongeBob accidentally popped the bottom half of his body. Because of that, Bubble Fred screams, "My bubble legs!"
- "The String" — Fred screams this when SpongeBob unravels everyone's clothes with a loose thread. But this time, he quickly corrects himself by saying, "Of my pants!"
- "The Nitwitting" – Appears as graffiti on a pipe in the alley with other gag references also in graffiti.
- "Gary's Got Legs" - When Gary starts kicking everyone in the Snail Park with his legs, Fred exits the park and yells, "His legs!"
- "Squid's on a Bus" - Fred says the line while SpongeBob and Patrick fight in the bus aisles. He is later seen walking out of the bus with crutches and a cast on his injured leg.
- "SpongeBob's Big Birthday Blowout" – Plankton ties Fred's leg up and forces him to say it.
- The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water — Mr. Krabs throws away a large stone bun that was going to be used to execute SpongeBob and it hits someone offscreen.
- When the Electric Skates gives Squidward a list of demands, the list is so long that it unravels and crashes into the orchestra pit causing chaos among the musicians, one of whom spouts this classic sound bite.
- If you fail the "Yank the Yacht" level, this soundbite is heard.
- In one drawing, Patrick sits on Fred's leg.
- "Something Smells" — When SpongeBob asks a passing fish in a boat through the windshield if he's "ugly," the stench of SpongeBob's breath burns his face causing him to scream "My eyes! My eyes!" before he loses control and comes to a stop only to spontaneously combust after throwing SpongeBob off.
- "Best Frenemies" - Plankton gets sprayed with cleaning material in the Kelpshake restaurant.
- The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie — Both times King Neptune has the paper bag taken off his head, everyone screams "Bald! Bald! Bald!" multiple times, followed by Fred screaming "My eyes!" Later in the movie during the final confrontation with Dennis, SpongeBob once again tries to beg for mercy using bubbles as his next offer, but the liquid bubble soap in his wand goes flying straight into Dennis's face making him exclaim "My eyes!" as he covers them, though throwing SpongeBob behind him in the process.
- The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water — After Plankton introduces himself as "Plank-Ton," he flips Burger Beard's ship over and pokes his head into one of the opened windows, and as he scans for Burger Beard the pirate captain shoots a bottle of mustard in his face forcing him to drop the ship as he exclaims "My eye! My eye!"
- In "Stuck in the Wringer", Ivy says "My foot!" when a cash register falls on his foot.
- In "SpongeBob's Bad Habit," Fred says "My nails!" when SpongeBob bites them.
Referenced in other media
- The sound effect appeared in the CatDog episode "Vexed of Kin."
- The sound effect was barely audible heard in the Camp Lazlo episode 7 Deadly Sandwiches.
- In the 2006 film The Pink Panther when the main character, Inspector Clouseau, accidentally rolls a rather large globe off its stand and it goes down the stairs, the background voice of a man is heard exclaiming "My leg! It's caught my leg!"
- In the 2018 film Solo: A Star Wars Story, you can hear a Stormtrooper yell “My Leg!” during a battle on the planet Mimbam.
- In the HOW2 segments of Annoying Orange, the HOW2 referencer sometimes says it.
- Oddly in seasons 9 and above the voice is different than the rest of the series barring "Culture Shock," "The Chaperone" and "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV," heard more as a direct saying instead of a sound effect.
- Seasons 1 and 11 are currently tied with having the most amount of episodes that use the "My leg!" gag with a total of nine episodes that had it in those seasons.
- It was never used in Seasons 4 or 7.
- There's even an episode of Season 11 of the same name.
- As stated above and true to its name, the "My Leg!" episode obviously uses "My leg!" more times than the rest of the series, movies and musical combined, with a grand total of 43.
- On the topic of the gag, Doug Lawrence said, "and if you've ever wondered where the show's often-used exclamation of "My leg!" came from, Mr. Lawrence (voice of Plankton) had a definitive answer: "It was an ad-lib. [The scene called for] everyone writhing in pain and I said it and I kept saying it. Fans started talking about it and named him Fred. He has his own episode."