| But I can certainly learn!
This article is in need of one or more references. Please help Encyclopedia SpongeBobia to add more references.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott
- Daydream Harold
- Mr. Krabs' pet scallop (debut)
- Gary the Snail
- Patrick Star
- Fred (blue)
- Daydream Fred (brown)
- Orange robber
- Construction foreman (debut)
- Fresh and Natural Sponge (debut)
- Fish in a picture in the lobby of BBTV
- Casting director (debut)
- Clams (mentioned)
- Daydream Abigail Marge
- Daydream Harv
- Daydream Ivy
- Daydream Jimmy Gus
- Daydream Martha Smith
- Daydream Nancy Suzy Fish
- Daydream Peterson Nat Tucker
- Daydream Nathiel Waters
- Daydream Norma Rechid
- Daydream Shubie
- Daydream Thaddeus
- Daydream Tina Fran
- Daydream Tom
- Daydream Billy
- Daydream Cara
- Daydream Debbie
- Daydream Dennis
- Daydream Frankie Billy
- Daydream Gus
- Daydream Mable-Monica
- Daydream Nazz-Mimi
- Daydream Paco
- Daydream Sandals
- Daydream Dave
- Daydream reporter (debut)
- Camera Fish
- New Sponge narrator (debut)
Listening in on a conversation Mr. Krabs is having on the phone, SpongeBob thinks he is going to get fired because he heard the former was going to "let the little guy go" that day.
He tries to be taller than Squidward using his abilities, seeing who was the "little guy," eventually realizing that he is indeed smaller. Distraught, he leaves and heads home. Back in Mr. Krabs' office, he is seen letting the "little guy," who he's letting go is his pet scallop that got to big for cage, and it flies out of the window.
Later, SpongeBob sits at home, depressed when Patrick arrives to borrow his refrigerator because his refrigerator was empty. When he learns of SpongeBob's predicament, Patrick suggests that he do what he does when looking for a job: sit back, watch TV, and chug down a carton of Drinkable Sausage. Gary gives SpongeBob smarter advice by giving attention to a newspaper with job suggestions.
SpongeBob tries out banking and architecture but realizes that fry cooking is the only thing he knows how to do. With some encouragement from Patrick, he tries out for a sponge role at a TV station and, despite a complete lack of talent, gets it.When SpongeBob arrives at work the next day, he thinks he's going to be a big actor, but it turns out the "acting" he'll be doing is the role of a sponge in a bathroom-cleaning commercial, so he appears as his natural self in order to be the appearance of the New Sponge.
Before they get to cleaning the toilet, he quits and returns to the Krusty Krab, begging Mr. Krabs for his old job back.
He's lucky enough to get it, under the condition that he also cleans the restaurant's toilets, which he does happily, while Hans is reading a newspaper, sitting on one of the toilets.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Bubble Poppin' Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [mirror covered with grime]
‣ Credit Card Heaven - Nicolas Carr [After SpongeBob cleans the mirror]
‣ What's This Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob overhears Krabs on the phone]
• Daily Chores Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs says he'll have to let the little guy go]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford ["WHAT?!"]
‣ From the Dead - Ronald Hanmer ["Little guy? Who's the little guy?"]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Whew! I am taller!"]
• Blue Tide - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, who am I kidding?"]
• Sad Sack Shanty - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs was talking about his pet scallop]
• Blue Tide - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob floats home]
• Gator - Steve Belfer [Patrick borrowing SpongeBob's refrigerator]
‣ Wailing Strings - Gerhard Trede ["Oh, get it out of my sight."]
‣ Epilog - Gerhard Trede ["Oh, no! What are you gonna do?!"]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [Patrick gets an idea]
• Slide Whistle Stooges 2 - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Just do what I do when I'm looking for a job."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["I better get some fresh ones."]
‣ Spongefoolery - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston [SpongeBob reading the job listings]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob as a bank teller]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob fired]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob as a construction worker]
• Steel Licks 32 - Jeremy Wakefield ["I guess I'm not a carpenter, Patrick."]
‣ Cocksure Capers - Phil Green ["I need to start fresh... with a job that feels natural."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Fine, do it your way."]
‣ Box Office [#76] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob and Patrick enter at the TV studio]
‣ Box Office [#80] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["I did?"]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["I've seen clams with more talent than you."]
‣ Curtain-Raiser - Alan Braden [SpongeBob hired]
‣ Broadway Flyer - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Yes, I did, Patrick."]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What was that about?"]
‣ Bobbins and Spindles - Ronald Hanmer ["Patrick, when next you see me, it shall be on the television."]
‣ Box Office [#77] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [the next day at the studio]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green [SpongeBob's pants removed]
‣ Workaday World - Jack Beaver [New Sponge commercial]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm sorry, I don't think I'm cut out for acting."]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob begs Krabs to take him back]
• Jovial Pirate's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [ending]
- This episode is available on the Great Patty Caper, Complete Seventh Season, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, Get to Work!, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 10, SpongeBob, You're Fired!, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- This was the last episode to premiere in 2009 and the last to air during the 2000s decade.
- Mr. Krabs is seen in golf clothes, but in "Selling Out," he claims that he hates golf.
- This is the fifth appearance of Hans outside of the series' theme song. The first was "Suds," the second was "Imitation Krabs," the third was "The Smoking Peanut" and the fourth was "Clams."
- This episode reveals that Mr. Krabs had a pet scallop, albeit he releases it in this episode.
- The music heard at BBTV is the same as in The Sims: Superstar.
- There is a story based on this episode on the educational children's tablet known as an InnoTab.
- In "Suds," SpongeBob is happy when he is used to cleaning things. This time, he gets upset about it, drawing the line at cleaning the toilet.
- SpongeBob didn't know what the job was, although the casting director gave him a script.
- The bathroom showed looks like the one shown in Sandy's treedome in the episode "Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy."
- This episode is the only time that Quincy appears purple instead of light green.
- In this episode, SpongeBob is almost used to clean a toilet. He is actually used to clean a toilet in "Home Sweet Rubble."
- At one point, the casting director mumbles "Ach, du liber," which is in the German language. In English, these words translate to "Oh, my god."
- This is the second episode in which SpongeBob slides through the Krusty Krab doors. The first is "Once Bitten."
- This is the second episode in which SpongeBob says "Goodbye life as I know it" and gets a job from a bank and construction site only to get fired. The first is "What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?"
- This is Hans' first speaking role since "Imitation Krabs."
- An E-Book of the same name is used on the InnoTab game also starring SpongeBob.
- The episode was adapted to a learning video game available for V.Reader, an e-book device for children by Vtech.
- This is the last episode with the original cast for the Finnish dub.
- When the hook takes off SpongeBob's pants, his sleeves are still on, but in the next scene, they're gone.
- While SpongeBob still has his clothes on, the bathroom background seems to be clean.
- When SpongeBob first enters the set of the commercial, everything is normal-sized, but after the filming starts, the set is so big that SpongeBob seems to be the size of a normal kitchen sponge, and also, once the filming stops, the set is normal-sized again.
- When SpongeBob leaves the Krusty Krab, he shows up at numerous jobs and when he applies to the New Sponge commercial he is told by the desk clerk to come back tomorrow at 10 a.m. It is unknown why this whole time Mr. Krabs does not try to find SpongeBob, as there would be no fry cook and no business. SpongeBob would've most likely been out of the job for days, looking at new jobs, so it is unknown why Mr. Krabs did nothing. Although he might have thought that SpongeBob was on vacation and had Squidward do his fry cook duties.
- Even though the BBTV Lady gives SpongeBob a script, it seems that said script had no use. This is because SpongeBob had a non-speaking role and only the commercial announcer spoke.
- When SpongeBob was kicked off the house-building job and gets thrown into the sand, the Krabby Patty house he designed is nowhere insight, and the tower is not there when SpongeBob shows the worker the house.