"Mermaid Pants" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season 10. In this episode, SpongeBob and Patrick have fun playing as Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, and Mr. Krabs and Squidward decide to play along as the bad guys.
- Realistic Fish Head (voice only)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Mermaid Pants
- Patrick Star
- Barnacle Star
- King Neptune (mentioned)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Doctor Negative (debut)
- Whistle (debut)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Captain Tightwad (debut)
- Bank security guard (debut)
- Mermaid Man (cameo in a comic)
- Barnacle Boy (cameo in a comic)
- Incidental 165
- Incidental 151
- Incidental 185
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 108
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 68
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 27
- Fred (blue)
- Incidental 65
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 63
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 67
- Incidental 23
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 14
In the beginning of the episode, SpongeBob and Patrick play Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, in their costumes. They drive in the invisible car, pretending it is the invisible boatmobile and think Squidward's house is an evil lair. They climb, and Squidward sees them. He then cuts their rope, and they fall to the ground. They think Squidward is Dr. Negative, while Squidward sings a song about how much he hates his neighbors.
Squidward is then seen watering his garden, who SpongeBob and Patrick think is raising mutant vegetables to attack. While Squidward goes to refill his water, SpongeBob and Patrick destroy Squidward's garden, making a salad and eating it, which angers Squidward in the process. He breaks his legs in frustration, then loses his balance and falls down.
At the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob and Patrick sing the Mermaid Man/Barnacle Boy song, annoying Squidward. He tells them the song is stupid, causing SpongeBob and Patrick to transform into their costumes and call him Dr. Negative again. Patrick thinks that a nearby fish has been injured, but he really just has toilet paper attached to his foot from the bathroom. Patrick gets out his first aid kit and they mummify the fish and put him in a wheelchair. Patrick then burns the fish's eyes with peroxide. Angered, the fish moves away. Squidward then tells them they have to take the trash out.
SpongeBob and Patrick punch the trash and it lands on the customers and they leave angered. Mr. Krabs is angry that all his customers are gone and he calls Squidward into his office. He shows his secret room, with comic books, and also with a suit that Krabs sewed up himself. Krabs then puts on the suit, called Captain Tightwad, with Squidward playing the doctor. Krabs sends out lassos to attack SpongeBob and Patrick, but all of them miss. He then throws Squidward at SpongeBob, and he gets stuck. He manages to break free, but spins out and knocks objects, including money. SpongeBob then questions their fighting and opens up his comic book, which states that no superhero should fight a bad guy until the bad guy commits a crime. Mr. Krabs then steals his own money, but SpongeBob is not stupid to realize that.
The setting then changes to a bank, where Krabs pretends to rob the bank. An old man tells him that the ATM is outside, but then attacks Squidward and Krabs after they said they were pretending to rob the bank. At night, the Krusty Krab, now called the Lair, has transformed into a scientific evil lab. SpongeBob has a crime scene set so they can play, but Squidward takes it seriously, thinking it is his chance to knock his neighbors out. He actually lowers the lever on the trap, sending SpongeBob and Patrick down towards boiling grease. Squidward wants them to fry, but Krabs gives up because Squidward is literally playing the bad guy. SpongeBob and Patrick free themselves by tipping the lift, but Squidward and Krabs get fried and The Krusty Krab is now destroyed.
In the end, Krabs sticks to reading comic books and SpongeBob and Patrick fake drive into the distance. The TV Announcer says he needs to find another job and asks if it is too late to go back to college radio.
|( ‣ ) Production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Mermaidman and Barnacle Boy Action Theme - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr, Pat Irwin [title card]
• Superfriends Wipe - Nicolas Carr [Opening.]
‣ Arizona Fanfare - Jack Shaindlin [Aquaphone rings.]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob answers the phone]
‣ Arizona Fanfare - Jack Shaindlin [Patrick dressed as Barnacle Boy.]
‣ Caped Crusader - David Farnon [SpongeBob and Patrick playing as Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 28 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick fall down]
‣ Adventure Fanfare 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["I'm sure I've heard that "no" before."]
• I Hate SpongeBob, I Hate Patrick - Kaz Prapuolenis [Squidward sings this.]
‣ Agitation Bridge 3 - Phil Green ["It's that denying desperado's siren song."]
‣ Life on the Wild Side - Sam Spence [SpongeBob and Patrick destroy Squidward's vegetables.]
• Proud to be a Fish - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Although our foes were evil, their nutrition did not go to waste."]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["That's it! I'm gonna clobber you two!"]
• Silly Bob Conversation 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["You better hurry up or you'll be late for work."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 17A - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward falls down.]
• Superfriends Wipe - Nicolas Carr [Transition to The Krusty Krab.]
‣ The Lineman - Sam Spence [Background music to "Mermaid Man Our Hero."]
• Mermaid Man Our Hero - Kaz Prapuolenis [SpongeBob and Patrick sing this.]
‣ Life on the Wild Side - Sam Spence ["Oh, did you say something negative, Dr. Negative?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 1A - Jeremy Wakefield ["Your turn to take out the garbage."]
‣ Life on the Wild Side - Sam Spence [SpongeBob and Patrick punching the garbage bag.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 24A - Jeremy Wakefield [Customers leave The Krusty Krab.]
‣ The Lineman - Sam Spence [SpongeBob and Patrick posing.]
• Light Conversation 1 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Oh, oh, Patrick, I think we got Squidward in trouble."]
‣ Fairies (a) - John Fox, Otto Sieben [Krabs' comic book collection.]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch ["You're a comic book geek!"]
‣ Four Evil Men (c) - Trevor Duncan [Captain Tightwad costume]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Dr. Negative shirt.]
‣ Floating Fortress (a) - Gregor Narholz [Krabs and Squidward in costume.]
• Mermaidman and Barnacle Boy Action Theme - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr, Pat Irwin [SpongeBob, Patrick, Krabs, and Squidward fighting.]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What? What do you mean?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 4 - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs "steals" his own money.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 9A - Jeremy Wakefield [Money falls out of Krabs' costume.]
• Superfriends Wipe - Nicolas Carr [Transition to the bank.]
• The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Krabs and Squidward enter at the bank.]
• Mermaidman and Barnacle Boy Action Theme - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr, Pat Irwin [Guard beats up Krabs and Squidward.]
• Superfriends Wipe - Nicolas Carr [Transition to Evil Stor.]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [SpongeBob enters at Evil Stor.]
‣ Battle March Link (a) - Keith Mansfield [The Krusty Lair.]
‣ Pell-Mell - Sam Spence [Krabs and Squidward pop out of large cash register.]
‣ Caped Crusader - David Farnon ["Okay, so here's the scene."]
‣ Disastrous Event 2 [#37] - Harry Lubin [Squidward pulls the lever to fry SpongeBob and Patrick.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 21 - Jeremy Wakefield ["I just knew he'd make a terrific bad guy."]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Could this be the end of our doofus duo?"]
‣ Ramblin' Man from Gramblin' - Sam Spence [SpongeBob and Patrick swinging the basket.]
• Another Best Day Ever - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob takes Krabs and Squidward out of the pool of boiling oil.]
‣ The Lineman - Sam Spence [Ending.]
- This episode is available on SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 16, The Complete Tenth Season, and SpongeBob is a Doctor DVDs.
- The original title for this episode was "Mermaid Pants and Barnacle Star." For unknown reasons, it was shortened later on. Some sources list it by the original title.
- The title card background is similar to those of "Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob" and "The Bad Guy Club for Villains," except this one is in widescreen and has different colors.
- SpongeBob and Patrick's costumes are the same ones they wore in the comic strip Super Suspicion, but without the giant ears.
- SpongeBob and Patrick sing "Mermaid Man Our Hero" at the Krusty Krab, whose lyrics are set to Sam Spence's "The Lineman."
- The end of the song is similar to the lyrics in "Give Jellyfish Fields a Chance," which also references Mermaid Man and rhymes it with "garbage can."
- While this episode officially reveals that Mr. Krabs collects comic books, this was unofficially revealed in the episode "Mid-Life Crustacean," where two comic books can be seen in his childhood room.
- The Realistic Fish Head reads the "One Hour Later..." time card in this episode instead of the French Narrator doing it.
- The fourth wall is broken at the end of this episode when the narrator says that he should get another job and asks if it is too late to go back to college radio.
- This is the first episode where the action cards are narrated.
- This is the first Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episode to not actually feature Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy except for in a comic book.
- This is the second episode in which SpongeBob and Patrick mess up Squidward's vegetable garden. The first was "SpongeBob You're Fired."
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob covers the inside of the Krusty Krab with trash. The first was "Gullible Pants."
- This is the second time that Mr. Krabs is Captain Tightwad. The first time was in the short "And Krabs Saves the Day."
- However, in this episode, Mr. Krabs calls the hero Captain Tightwad, but in the short, he calls the hero Super Tightwad.
- This is the second episode where someone calls SpongeBob simply "Bob." The first was "Kenny the Cat."
- This is the second episode where Mr. Krabs and Squidward get deep-fried golden brown. The first occurrences were "What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?" for Mr. Krabs and "Restraining SpongeBob" for Squidward.
- This is the third episode where SpongeBob and Patrick impersonate Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy. The first was "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III," and the second was "Shuffleboarding."
- This episode and "Whirly Brains" were the only season 10 episodes to premiere in 2016.
- In the French dub, this episode is called "Bob L'Éponge Sirène," which translates to "Bob Sponge Mermaid" (or "SpongeBob Mermaid").
- In the Polish dub, the Realistic Fish Head is replaced with the French Narrator.
- There is a sequel to this episode in season 11, titled "Man Ray Returns."
- SpongeBob asking "Do you expect me to cry?" and Squidward's response "No, Mr. Bob. I expect you to fry!" is similar to the James Bond film Goldfinger, where the villain attempts to kill Bond.
- When SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs are standing outside the bank, SpongeBob puts his hand on Mr. Krabs' shoulder, but he is not wearing any gloves. When he takes his hand away, he is wearing the gloves again.
- While SpongeBob and Patrick are tied to a grease trap, Patrick's eyebrows are missing and his dots are also missing.
- In a few frames while Squidward laughs maniacally, his forehead duplicates.
- When the Krusty Lair is cracking and about to get destroyed, the sign reads "The Krusty Krab" instead of "The Krusty Lair."