- Kelp Thing (debut)
- Mermaid Man
- Realistic Fish Head
- Barnacle Boy
- The Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy Fan Club (debut)
- Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy actors (debut)
- Shady Shoals residents
- Shady Shoals caretaker
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Pearl Krabs
- Sandy Cheeks
- Squidward Tentacles
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Man Ray (mentioned)
- Clapperboard operator
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 5
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 73
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 12
SpongeBob and Patrick are at a Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy fan club meeting, where they learn that a new movie will be made based on the heroes, and meet the actors who will be portraying them. SpongeBob is very furious that the movie is using actors instead of the real Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy. The actors state that this is an action movie and that the real Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy are too old for action, resulting in SpongeBob telling the fan club that they must boycott the movie. He insults the actors, but this gets him and Patrick thrown out of the building instead.
The two then go to Shady Shoals and tell Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy that Drippy Brothers Studios is making a movie about them and using actors. The heroes find the news horrible, with Mermaid Man crying as a result, and Patrick suggests they make their own movie, which they agree with. After brainstorming ideas at the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob and the crew meet to make the movie. SpongeBob is the director, Squidward is the makeup artist, Sandy is in charge of using the dynamite for explosion scenes, Patrick is the camera operator, Mr. Krabs caters the crew Krabby Patties, Pearl is the leading lady and the invisible boatmobile, and lastly Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy are the stars of the movie. While they are filming. Plankton appears to audition for Man Ray, but SpongeBob tells him that Man Ray is not in their movie, so he gives Plankton the job of working the microphone instead. Mermaid Man has trouble with one of his lines, which takes 5,003 takes to get it right. A scene is filmed where Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy ride Pearl up a steep mountain to Kelp Thing's hideout. Pearl is too heavy to pull and slides down the mountain, crashing into the sets.
Everything is destroyed, and Patrick reveals that he had accidentally been filming with the lens cap on, meaning that they have no footage to work with. SpongeBob goes berserk with frustration and cries since all the work he did for the movie was ruined, but Mermaid Man convinces him to finish the movie.
Mr. Krabs holds the premiere of SpongeBob's production in his restaurant, hoping to make lots of money from the movie. The members of the Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy Fan Club attend, but only because the movie from Drippy Bros. Studios was sold out. The movie is then shown. SpongeBob plays with a car near a box with "Lox" on it. Then the patty vault is opened and Kelp Thing comes down, wanting to steal the Krabby Patties. But then Mermaid Man, played by Sandy, attacks him. He and Barnacle Boy unite, ending the film.
The movie proves to be terrible, and the fans are not pleased except for SpongeBob and Patrick. However, Mermaid Man is glad that SpongeBob proved that he and Barnacle Boy still have some "action" left in their old bones. They then laugh happily due to their efforts.
- When someone says "boom" in a sentence, the scene changes to Sandy preparing to use a detonator, with Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy in the background. She asks "Did somebody say boom?" and pushes the detonator. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy blow up.
- A close-up of SpongeBob's mouth saying "actors" using a live-action human mouth.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Death Trap - Gregor F. Narholz [opening]
• Mermaid Man Sting - Nicolas Carr ["It's Mermaid Man!"]
‣ Life on the Wild Side - Sam Spence ["And his young, fit servant Barnacle Boy!"]
‣ Caped Crusader - David Farnon [Kelp Thing's car gets towed.]
‣ Witty Fellow - Gerhard Trede [Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy Fan Club meeting]
‣ Showbiz Entrance [#65.04] - Harry Bluestone [surprise guests]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Actors?"]
‣ Pomp and Ceremony - Frank Damico [SpongeBob's speech]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Patrick get kicked out.]
‣ Alekoki - Kapono Beamer [Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy are playing a game of bingo.]
• ? ["Are you aware Drippy Brothers Studio is making the Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy movie?"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (d) - Ronald Hanmer [Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy gasp.]
‣ Kamakani (b) - Kapono Beamer [Mermaid Man cries.]
• Idea Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Patrick, once again you have exposed your brilliance!"]
‣ Tomorrow the World - Cedric King-Palmer ["We'll make a real Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy movie!"/"Vindication is ours! Vindi...!"]
• Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick writing the script]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["What are ye lads doing?"]
‣ Hollywood Heyday - Gareth Hughes [pan of the movie crew]
‣ Sergeant Jones - Larry Hochman [makeup session]
‣ Tympup A - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [SpongeBob gasps.]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill ["They're beautiful!"]
‣ Black Empire - Gregor F. Narholz [Plankton as Man Ray]
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen [Plankton as the boom operator]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [Pearl crying]
‣ Ramblin' Man from Gramblin' - Sam Spence [Pearl as the invisible boatmobile]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [set destroyed]
‣ Killer Birds [#36] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob snaps.]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["The movie's ruined!"]
‣ The Four Horseman - Ronald Hanmer [Mermaid Man starts ranting.]
• ? - Nicolas Carr ["The rain in Spain stays mainly on the..."]
‣ Warlord - Wolfgang Kafer ["Space! The final countdown!"]
‣ Of Love and Destiny - Leighton Lucas ["Stick to the, stick to the... Lou, my darling!"]
‣ Botany Bay (b) - Robert Alexander White [Krabs crying]
• Steel Licks 7 - Jeremy Wakefield ["The Mermaid Man, Barnacle Boy Fan Club!"]
‣ Arizona Fanfare - Jack Shaindlin [movie opening titles]
‣ Into the Wilderness - Clive Richardson [played during the movie]
‣ Fighter Pilots - Charles Williams [played during the movie]
‣ Moloka'i Nui (a) - Kapono Beamer [ending]
- This episode is available on the Lost in Time DVD and VHS, Season 4 Volume 1, The First 100 Episodes, Complete Fourth Season, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, 2-Season TV Pack, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Favorite Episodes Volume 2, Double Feature Volume 2, The Tom Kenny Collection, Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy: Defenders of the Deep, Bob Esponja Vol. 1, Loveable Sponge, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 6, From the Beginning, Pt.2, The Adventures of SpongeBob SquarePants, The Third & Fourth Seasons, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture" was ranked #53 during the Best Day Ever event from November 9–10, 2006.
- "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture" was ranked #49 during the SpongeBob's Top 100 event in the UK and Ireland from June 4-8, 2012.
- This episode is number 14 on The Tom Kenny Collection on iTunes and Amazon.com. His description says:
- "When SpongeBob's heroes are considered too "old" to portray themselves in a Hollywood-type movie, he decides to make his own. As a comic book fan, I've sat through horrible movies based on classic comics, wishing I could 'do it right!'."
- This episode has the longest title of any episode of the series along with "Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team Up is Go!"
- Coincidentally, both of these are Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episodes.
- This was Casey Alexander's first episode working on the show.
- This was the first episode Chris Mitchell worked on since "I Was a Teenage Gary" from season 1, and his first episode as a storyboard director.
- This was also the first of a total of 10 episodes that Casey Alexander and Chris Mitchell worked on together.
- This is the last episode to have Sherm Cohen as a storyboard supervisor. However, in 2015, he returned to this position, starting with episode "Lost in Bikini Bottom."
- This is the last episode released on VHS.
- This is the second appearance of Kelp Thing. His first is a cameo appearance as one of the villains in The Adventures of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy TV show in the heroes' first episode.
- This is the second episode where Mermaid Man's belt is purple with a blue "M." The first is "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV."
- This is the first episode in which someone has been proven incompetent at handling recording equipment and accidentally stuck a boom mike into someone's mouth.
- This is the last episode of the Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy sub-series with the episodes being titled with the Roman numeral numbers.
- In SpongeBob's movie, the patty vault from "Just One Bite" is seen again.
- The leader of the Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy fan club is one of the nerd fish from Weenie Hut Jr's in "No Weenies Allowed."
- SpongeBob telling Patrick he has exposed his brilliance is similar to when he told him his genius is showing in "Texas."
- This is the only episode out of the six original Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episodes to not have the black and purple fish scale background on the title card.
- It is also the first one to have a subtitle.
- The following scenes of this episode have become memes on the internet and YouTube:
- The close-up where SpongeBob says "Actors."
- Sandy saying "Did somebody say boom?"
- Drippy Brothers Studios is a parody of Warner Bros. Pictures, which produces films based on DC Comics superheroes. As Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy are largely parodies of DC characters such as Aquaman and Batman, this is fitting.
- The gag of Sandy blowing something up upon hearing the word "boom" is a reference to the character of Crazy Harry from The Muppets.
- In Polish, French, and Latin American Spanish versions, the narrator mistakenly reads the title as "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV: The Motion Picture" instead of "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture."
- During almost all of the filming, the lens cap is not on the camera, contrary to Patrick claiming it was.
- When the Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy fan club is coming to the Krusty Krab and before the movie, the fan club kids are the same. After the whole movie, most of the Bikini Bottomites are in the seats.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick start eating popcorn, Patrick's eyebrows are missing.