— Man Ray, "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V"
Man Ray, also spelled Manray, is the greatest nemesis of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, alongside the Dirty Bubble. He first appears in the episode "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III." He is a great threat to Bikini Bottom.
Man Ray is a humanoid being with a blue helmet shaped like the head of a Manta ray and a red bodysuit. His gloves, boots, and Speedo are all deep blue in color. Oddly, he has no head under his helmet.
Abilities and traits
Man Ray possesses combat skills and seemingly has the power to shoot destructive lasers from his hands.
Man Ray is a villain who wanted to take over the world and he is also short-tempered and temperamental.
Decades ago, Man Ray attempted to rule Bikini Bottom with his ray gun, but was foiled by Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy of the past pouring tartar sauce on him. However, when the future Mermaid Man, Barnacle Boy, SpongeBob, and Patrick come to the past, Patrick eats the tartar sauce that trapped Man Ray and creates the Man Ray timeline where he defeated Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy and took over Bikini Bottom. Fortunately, SpongeBob and Patrick go back in time (after a complicated series of time travels), defeat Man Ray, and restore the timeline.
Man Ray first appears in "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III." He was trapped in tartar sauce by Mermaid Man until Patrick frees him. He is about to destroy SpongeBob and Patrick, but he has the tickle belt, so he can't do anything. In order to get SpongeBob to take the belt off, he convinces him that he wants to become good, so after many aggregating tests, SpongeBob finally removes the tickle belt, giving Man Ray a chance to escape. Man Ray then attempts to rob a bank but can't because he has lost the "urge to do bad."
At some point, Man Ray regains this urge and begins committing crimes again. In "Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team Up is Go!," he is seen as a villain for hire on the phone book. Plankton hires him to steal the Krabby Patty secret formula.
- He may be named after the surrealist of the same name.
- His name is also a pun on manta ray.
- Despite abandoning his evil ways during his debut, he joins E.V.I.L. in "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V." In "Shuffleboarding," he actually did retire.
- Man Ray was originally voiced by John Rhys-Davies in the episodes "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III" and "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V." Man Ray's voice got replaced with Bob Joles starting with the video game Lights, Camera, Pants! released in 2005 and the episode "Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob" in 2007.
- It is shown in the end credits for "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III" that Man Ray was originally going to be voiced by Guy Siner; a 2000 SpongeBob SquarePants voice role is listed on the official Guy Siner website. In the opening credits for "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III," John Rhys-Davies is listed as being the official voice actor for Man Ray in said episode. John Rhys-Davies replaced Guy Siner as the voice of Man Ray in "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III," but the end credits weren't updated to list the replacement voice actor.
- Despite having the Tickle Belt removed in "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III," he still appears to be wearing it in all later episodes.
- He is very susceptible to the tickle belt, feeling its tickle even when he's not wearing it.
- Oddly, he can remove his head and is still able to talk. This is shown in "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III" and "Shuffleboarding."
- In "Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob," it is inferred that it might be possible Man Ray is immortal based on how he asked "The delicious new treat no mortal can resist?" as Barnacle Boy introduces the Krusty Kid's Meal box.
- "Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team Up is Go!" reveals that Man Ray works at a store restocking Canned Bread into a vending machine.
- His name appears on the wall graffiti in "The Nitwitting."
- Man Ray is allergic to tartar sauce as shown in the episode "Swamp Mates." This is probably why Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy have encased him in tartar sauce in the past.
- ^ "Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team Up is Go!." SpongeBob SquarePants. Nickelodeon. DATE. Television.
- ^ Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III and Squirrel Jokes (credits)
- ^ http://www.guysiner.com/audio.html
- ^ http://www.nick.com.au/spongebob-squarepants/videos/INT_spo_yourbrain_manray/
- ^ http://www.guysiner.com/audio.html
|Recurring characters (V • E)|
Patchy • Potty • French Narrator • Mermaid Man • Barnacle Boy • Flying Dutchman • King Neptune • Larry the Lobster • Harold SquarePants • Margaret SquarePants • Grandma SquarePants • Realistic Fish Head • Perch Perkins • Bikini Bottomites • Jellyfish
Other recurring characters