- Pearl Krabs
- Coral Cuties models
- Matt (debut)
- Boys Who Cry (in a picture)
- Incidental 23
- Incidental 12
- Incidental 20
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 68
- Incidental 153
- Incidental 3
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 14
- Fred (blue)
- Incidental 48
- Marina (debut)
- Brad Ted (mentioned)
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 37A
- Squidward Tentacles (2 cameos)
- SpongeBob SquarePants (3 cameos)
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 7
- Incidental EHS5 (cameo)
- Incidental 85
- Incidental 84
- Nocturna (debut)
- Goth fish (debut)
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 151
- Incidental 4
- Incidental CM19
- Incidental 105
- Baby Incidental 41
- Nixie (debut)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 69
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 67
- Incidental 115
- Incidental 104
- Incidental 73
- Mr. Pepalino (debut)
- Didgeridoo player (cameo)
- Goth whale (debut)
- Carl (manager)
- Bangles and Dangles manager (debut)
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 152
- Incidental 150
- Mermaid Man (cameo)
- Barnacle Boy (cameo)
- Incidental 40
- Karen Plankton (cameo)
- Dougie Williams
- Bubble Buddy (cameo)
- Incidental 89
- Beatrice (debut)
- Health Inspector Yellowtail Andy (cameo)
- Incidental 118B
- Bum (debut)
- Myrtle (debut)
- Incidental 93
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 82
- Cafeteria workers
- Granny (cameo)
- Blue glasses geek (cameo)
- Beatrice's classmates (debut)
- Jonesy (debut)
- Betsy Krabs (cameo)
The episode starts with Pearl in her bedroom. She’s looking at a picture of a handsome model. She kisses it, then calls Marina, one of her friends. Pearl asks if she wants to hang out. Marina says she has to work at Hotdog on a String, so she can’t. Marina then serves a customer a Hotdog on a String, much to her disgust. Pearl then calls Nocturna, another friend. She asks if she wants to make fun of boys with her. However, Nocturna also can’t as she has to work at Scorched Coral. Pearl finally calls Nixie, a third friend. Pearl asks if she wants to come over to her house. However, Nixie can’t either as she has to work at Bangles and Dangles.
Pearl looks at the picture of Boys Who Cry. Later, she goes downstairs where Mr. Krabs is. Mr. Krabs thinks that Pearl is going to ask for money, so he locks his wallet and swallows it. Pearl tells him that she'll get a job at the mall. Excited to hear this, Mr. Krabs starts bouncing on the walls and roof of his home. He says that instead of her using his money for clothes and school supplies, she could use her job money. However, Pearl asks for ten dollars, so Mr. Krabs gets his wallet out of his mouth, unlocks it and gives ten dollars to Pearl.
Meanwhile, at the mall, Pearl goes to Hotdog on a String for a job. Marina tells her boss, Mr. Pepalino, that Pearl wants a job. Marina takes Pearl to the boss's room. Pearl tries to get in, but due to her size, she can’t fit in. She eventually tries to get in backwards. However, Mr. Pepalino, who was at the doorway, is laying uncomfortably on Pearl's back. Being very small, he is flung onto the hot dog grill and burned, rejecting Pearl. Pearl then goes to Scorched Coral, where she asks Nocturna for a job. She said that her business was hiring but already hired an employee. Seeing that it is a goth whale who looks almost exactly like her and is very angry at the idea that she would be replaced by her, a frightened Pearl decides to leave. Afterward, she goes to Bangles and Dangles, where she asks Nixie for a job. Nixie introduces Pearl to the manager, who says that she isn’t hiring Pearl as "the only thing they don't dangle there is hope."
Meanwhile, Pearl is sitting on the bench eating a hot dog from Hotdog on a String. She laments that if she doesn't get a job, she'll have to hang out with her dad. An old woman named Beatrice shows up and takes Pearl to her store. They go down the escalator and go to a bad part of the mall that is filled with bad stores that are broken and covered with graffiti as well as criminals. Pearl asks what a horrible smell is. Beatrice tells her that it's one of the many perfumes she sells at Grandma's Apron. When they get inside Beatrice hires Pearl as her previous employee is "no longer with them" (she’s revealed to be alive and well, but simply not working there anymore). Meanwhile, Marina, Nocturna and Nixie are sitting at a table, waiting for Pearl. Nocturna asks if Pearl got a job. Pearl tells them that she works at Grandma's Apron. Marina laughs and asks if she's really serious as Nocturna says that the store is for old people. Nixie remarks that old people are "so old." They all start laughing at her, much to her dismay.
Meanwhile, while working at Grandma's Apron, Pearl's friends show up. Surprised that she’s actually working there, they start laughing at her again before leaving, causing Pearl to cry. Beatrice tells her that it's nothing to be ashamed of. She shows her a book of pictures from when she was in school. Beatrice tells Pearl that when she was young, everyone in school teased her and called her "Boring Beatrice." She then teaches Pearl how to be a grandma. They are then shown knitting, baking cookies and riding scooters. After that, Pearl's friends come back to Grandma's Apron. Marina sees Pearl's shoes and makes fun of them. Beatrice tells her to stop. However, Marina tries to use her hot dogs on strings to attack. Beatrice knits a scarf and ties the trio together. She then tells them about the time when she saw the first picture show. After that, Pearl's friends apologize to her. Beatrice tells her that even though being a grandma is fun, it's best to live young. Pearl then hangs out with her friends, after which Beatrice's arm snaps off and SpongeBob picks it up, as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Tiki Dancing - Lionel Wendling [Title card]
‣ Surfin Summer Girls [#28] - Ian Henry Marsh, Phil Pickett [Opening.]
‣ Cutie Pie - Phil Green, Geoffrey Love, Ken Thorne [Hotdog on a String.]
‣ Skater Dave - Steve Belfer [Scorched Coral]
‣ Candy Floss - Peter Dennis [Bangles and Dangles.]
‣ Surfin Summer Girls [#27] - Ian Henry Marsh, Phil Pickett ["You don't work at the mall, do you, Derek?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 5B - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs swallows his wallet.]
• Birth of the Krabby Patty - Nicolas Carr [Mr. Krabs is overjoyed.]
‣ Clumsy (a) - Bernd Gesell ["This is great news, Pearl me dear!"]
‣ Clumsy (c) - Bernd Gesell [Pearl asks to borrow ten dollars.]
• Shop-O-Rama - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez [Pearl goes to the mall.]
‣ Skater Dave - Steve Belfer [Pearl goes to Scorched Coral.]
‣ Candy Floss - Peter Dennis [Pearl goes to Bangles and Dangles.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 8B - Jeremy Wakefield ["If I don't get a job at the mall, I'll have to hang out with..."]
‣ House of Horror - William Farran ["...my dad!"]
‣ Animal Antics [#45] - Phil Green [Old lady offers Pearl a job.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 1A - Jeremy Wakefield ["What's that smell?"]
‣ That's My Baby (a) - Otto Sieben, John Fiddy ["...Grandma's Apron!"]
• Funeral Parlor Music - Nicolas Carr ["...no longer with us."]
‣ Saxaboogie - Harry Bluestone ["Almost forgot my shades!"]
‣ Tiki Dancing - Lionel Wendling [At lunch.]
‣ Park Avenue (a) - Bill Novick, Paul Lenart [Pearl dusting knickknacks.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 12 - Jeremy Wakefield [Pearl starts to cry.]
‣ Charleston Party (a) - John Fiddy, Otto Sieben [Photo album.]
‣ Central Park Breakdown (a) - Bill Novick, Paul Lenart ["Let me show you how grandmas do it!"]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney [Pearl's friends all gasp.]
• The Annoying Salesman - Nicolas Carr [Pearl talks about being a grandma.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 11C - Jeremy Wakefield [Pearl's friends laugh.]
‣ Cockney Capers - Ray Davies ["Now, now, girls, let's be polite."]
‣ Paroxysms (i) - Trevor Duncan ["What are you gonna do about it, granny?"]
‣ Starboard - Sam Spence ["Granny power!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 6A - Jeremy Wakefield ["No, please, I can't take anymore!"]
‣ Flower Display - Jack Shaindlin [Beatrice finishes her story.]
‣ Pacific Blue - Tony Osborne ["We didn't mean to hurt your feelings."]
‣ Surfin Summer Girls [#27] - Ian Henry Marsh, Phil Pickett [Ending.]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 16, SeaSide Story, Complete Ninth Season, Next 100 Episodes, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- Out of four store employees in this episode, only two of them were revealed before the episode premiered. The two who were revealed were Nocturna and Beatrice. The other two who were kept secret were Marina and Nixie. This is because only two out of four of them were voiced by special guest voice actors.
- On the original airing, the show's theme song is replaced with the Live Orange Carpet Coverage of the 2016 Kids' Choice Awards, with the intro synced to the audience.
- The title card of this episode is similar to those of "Porous Pockets" and "Perfect Chemistry," while this episode's one is in pink. It is also similar to that of "New Fish in Town," where the fish scale shapes are sideways instead.
- This is the first episode with Pearl's name in the title.
- As of this episode, every main character's name has been featured in episode's title at least once.
- Starting with this episode, the storyboard supervisors are now credited as supervising directors.
- Karen makes a cameo in this episode, marking this as the first episode she appears without Plankton.
- As of this episode, Karen started to have light aquamarine buttons instead of red buttons. The buttons are hard to see in this episode because she makes a brief appearance behind glass on another floor in the mall. However, they can be seen clearly in "CopyBob DittoPants."
- Beatrice was designed after Vincent Waller's grandmother.
- Bikini Atoll can be seen in Beatrice's scrapbook.
- This episode also marks Bikini Atoll's last realistic appearance. Starting with "Lame and Fortune," a CGI model has been used instead.
- The graffiti on one of the stores' doors says, "Squidward Smells" and "Krabs is a," which is a reference to the same writing on the Krusty Krab dumpster in "Sailor Mouth" when SpongeBob discovers bad word number 11.
- In the scene where Beatrice knits the yellow scarf, to the left there is a store named Boutique Crappy, being the second instance in the series that a mild curse word has been used.
- The first being when King Neptune uses the word "damning" in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie. However, he does not technically use it in a profane context; rather, the word is used to mean "suspicious" or "telltale," as Neptune thought Mr. Krabs stole his crown and left a suspicious piece of evidence behind.
- The "One Hour Later..." time card of this episode has the same background as the title cards from the episodes "Naughty Nautical Neighbors" and "Summer Job."
- SpongeBob only makes three cameos in this episode. He also only has one line, which is in the very last scene.
- The last cameo is meant to reference how he does not play a notable role in the episode.
- This episode marks the first physical non-speaking appearance of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy since Ernest Borgnine's death on July 8, 2012.
- This episode marks the first appearances of the following characters since the respective episodes:
- Bubble Buddy since "Bubble Buddy Returns"
- Karen since The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water
- Carl since "Selling Out"
- Dougie Williams since "Squirrel Jokes"
- Incidental CM19 since "One Coarse Meal"
- Health Inspector Yellowtail Andy since Fish Food Rescue: The Krusty Krab
- Boys Who Cry since "Whale of a Birthday"
- Blue glasses geek since "Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture"
- Granny since "Gramma's Secret Recipe"
- Incidental EHS5 since "Enchanted Tiki Dreams"
- This episode premiered on the same day as the 2016 Kids' Choice Awards and the premiere of School of Rock TV series.
- This is the ninth episode, along with the sister episode "Two Thumbs Down," to premiere on the same day as the Kids' Choice Awards. The first was "Help Wanted"/"Reef Blower"/"Tea at the Treedome" in 1999, the second was "Krabby Land"/"The Camping Episode" in 2004, the third was "Krusty Towers"/"Mrs. Puff, You're Fired" in 2006, the fourth was "Born to Be Wild"/"Best Frenemies" in 2007, the fifth was "Nautical Novice"/"Spongicus" in 2008, the sixth was "Sentimental Sponge" in 2011, the seventh was "Are You Happy Now?"/"Planet of the Jellyfish" in 2012, and the eighth was "Kenny the Cat" in 2014.
- In the Polish dub, this episode is called "Pracująca dziewczyna," which translates to "Working Girl."
- Hotdog on a String references the real-life Hot Dog on a Stick restaurant.
- In the music store that can be seen on the right as Pearl and Beatrice go down an escalator, there is an advertisement for a "Now That's What I Call Music!" parody.
- When Pearl first reads the Coral Cuties magazine, the magazine's name on the back is shown in yellow text. However, after Pearl puts it down, the text turns red. Also, Derek disappears from the back until Pearl picks up the magazine again.
- Even though the store is called "Bangles and Dangles," Nixie calls it by the name "Dangles and Bangles" earlier in the episode, and Pearl also calls it by the same name later in the episode.
- The credits call it the latter as well.
- In "Sleepy Time," Mr. Krabs' driver's license said that his birthday was on November 30, 1942, and his address is 3541 Anchor Way. But in this episode, it says that he was born on September 25, 1960, and his address being 2219 Anchor Street instead of 3541 Anchor Way.