"Mall Girl Pearl" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season nine. In this episode, Pearl gets a job to be cool like her friends, but the only store that is hiring is the lamest store at the mall.
- Pearl Krabs
- Coral Cuties models
- Matt (debut)
- Boys Who Cry (in a picture)
- Vera Fishbowl
- Sheldon (fish)
- Norma Rechid
- Susie Fishbowl
- Harry (fish)
- Fred (blue)
- Abigail Marge
- Marina (debut)
- Brad (mentioned)
- Squidward Tentacles (cameo)
- SpongeBob SquarePants (cameo)
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Electric eel (cameo)
- Mable (gray)
- Nocturna (debut)
- Goth fish (debut)
- Jimmy Gus
- Frank (red shirt)
- Baby Peterson
- Nixie (debut)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Nat Peterson
- Debbie Rechid
- Mr. Pepalino (debut)
- Didgeridoo player (cameo)
- Goth whale (debut)
- Carl (manager)
- Bangles and Dangles manager (debut)
- Tina Fran
- Taylor Fishbowl
- Shelly Fishbowl
- Mermaid Man (cameo)
- Barnacle Boy (cameo)
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Karen Plankton (cameo)
- Dougie Williams
- Bubble Buddy (cameo)
- Elderly shark
- Beatrice (debut)
- Andy Yellowtail (cameo)
- Nancy O'Malley
- Bum (debut)
- Myrtle (debut)
- Miss Shell
- Dennis (citizen)
- Cafeteria workers
- Granny (cameo)
- Medley Fishbowl
- Jellyfisher (debut)
- Beatrice's classmates (debut)
- Jonesy (debut)
- Betsy Krabs (cameo)
The episode opens to Pearl in her room. She is looking at a picture of Boys Who Cry. She kisses it, then calls Marina, one of her friends. Pearl asks if she wants to hang out. Marina says she has to work at Hotdog on a String, so she cannot. Marina then serves a customer a Hotdog on a String, much to her disgust. Pearl then calls Nocturna, another friend. She asks if she wants to make fun of boys with her. However, Nocturna also cannot as she has to work at Scorched Coral. Pearl finally calls Nixie, a third friend. Pearl asks if she wants to come over to her house. However, Nixie cannot either as she has to work at Bangles and Dangles.
Pearl looks at the picture of Boys Who Cry. Later, she goes downstairs where Mr. Krabs is. Mr. Krabs thinks that Pearl is going to ask for money, so he locks his wallet and swallows it. Pearl tells him that she'll get a job at the mall. Excited to hear this, Mr. Krabs starts bouncing on the walls and roof of his home. He says that instead of her using his money for clothes and school supplies, she could use her job money. However, Pearl asks for ten dollars, so Mr. Krabs gets his wallet out of his mouth, unlocks it, and gives ten dollars to Pearl.
Meanwhile, at the mall, Pearl goes to Hotdog on a String for a job. Marina tells her boss, Mr. Pepalino, that Pearl wants a job. Marina takes Pearl to the boss's room. Pearl tries to get in, but due to her size, she cannot fit in. She eventually tries to get in backwards. However, Mr. Pepalino, who was at the doorway, is laying uncomfortably on Pearl's back. Being very small, he is flung onto the hot dog grill and burned, rejecting Pearl. Pearl then goes to Scorched Coral, where she asks Nocturna for a job. She said that her business was hiring but already hired an employee. Seeing that it is a goth whale who looks almost exactly like her and is very angry at the idea that she would be replaced by her, a frightened Pearl decides to leave. Afterward, she goes to Bangles and Dangles, where she asks Nixie for a job. Nixie introduces Pearl to the manager, who says that she is not hiring Pearl as "the only thing they don't dangle there is hope."Meanwhile, Pearl is sitting on the floor eating a hot dog from Hotdog on a String. She laments that if she doesn't get a job, she'll have to hang out with her dad. An old woman named Beatrice shows up and takes Pearl to her store. They go down the escalator and go to a bad part of the mall that is filled with bad stores that are broken and covered with graffiti as well as criminals. Pearl asks what a horrible smell is. Beatrice tells her that it's one of the many perfumes she sells at Grandma's Apron. When they get inside Beatrice hires Pearl as her previous employee is "no longer with them" (she is revealed to be alive and well, but simply not working there). Meanwhile, Marina, Nocturna, and Nixie are sitting at a table, waiting for Pearl. Nocturna asks if Pearl got a job. Pearl tells them that she works at Grandma's Apron. Marina laughs and asks if she's really serious as Nocturna says that the store is for old people. Nixie remarks that old people are "so old." They all start laughing at her, much to her dismay.
Meanwhile, while working at Grandma's Apron, Pearl's friends show up. Surprised that she is actually working there, they start laughing at her again before leaving, causing Pearl to cry. Beatrice tells her that it's nothing to be ashamed of. She shows her a book of pictures from when she was in school. Beatrice tells Pearl that when she was young, everyone in school teased her and called her "Boring Beatrice." She then teaches Pearl how to be a grandma. They are then shown knitting, making cookies, and riding scooters. After that, Pearl's friends come back to Grandma's Apron. Marina sees Pearl's shoes and makes fun of them. Beatrice tells her to stop. However, Marina tries to use her hot dogs on strings to attack. Beatrice knits a scarf and ties the trio together. She then tells them about the time when she saw the first picture show. After that, Pearl's friends apologize to her. Beatrice tells her that even though being a grandma is fun, it's best to live young. Pearl then hangs out with her friends, after which Beatrice's arm snaps off and SpongeBob picks it up.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Tiki Dancing - Lionel Wendling [Title card]
‣ Surfin Summer Girls [#28] - Ian Henry Marsh, Phil Pickett [Opening.]
‣ Cutie Pie - Phil Green, Geoffrey Love, Ken Thorne [Hotdog on a String.]
‣ Skater Dave - Steve Belfer [Scorched Coral]
‣ Candy Floss - Peter Dennis [Bangles and Dangles.]
‣ Surfin Summer Girls [#27] - Ian Henry Marsh, Phil Pickett ["You don't work at the mall, do you, Derek?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs swallows his wallet.]
‣ Fanfare (b) - Nicolas Carr [Mr. Krabs is overjoyed.]
‣ Clumsy (a) - Bernd Gesell ["This is great news, Pearl me dear!"]
‣ Clumsy (c) - Bernd Gesell [Pearl asks to borrow ten dollars.]
‣ Shop-O-Rama - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez [Pearl goes to the mall.]
‣ Skater Dave - Steve Belfer [Pearl goes to Scorched Coral.]
‣ Candy Floss - Peter Dennis [Pearl goes to Bangles and Dangles.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield ["If I don't get a job at the mall, I'll have to hang out with..."]
‣ House of Horror - William Farran ["...my dad!"]
‣ Animal Antics [#45] - Phil Green [Old lady offers Pearl a job.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["What's that smell?"]
‣ That's My Baby (a) - Otto Sieben, John Fiddy ["...Grandma's Apron!"]
‣ Unknown Track 25 - Nicolas Carr ["...no longer with us."]
‣ Saxaboogie - Harry Bluestone ["Almost forgot my shades!"]
‣ Tiki Dancing - Lionel Wendling [At lunch.]
‣ Park Avenue (a) - Bill Novick, Paul Lenart [Pearl dusting knickknacks.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (p) - Jeremy Wakefield [Pearl starts to cry.]
‣ Charleston Party (a) - John Fiddy, Otto Sieben [Photo album.]
‣ Central Park Breakdown (a) - Bill Novick, Paul Lenart ["Let me show you how grandmas do it!"]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney [Pearl's friends all gasp.]
‣ The Annoying Salesman - Nicolas Carr [Pearl talks about being a grandma.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield [Pearl's friends laugh.]
‣ Cockney Capers - Ray Davies ["Now, now, girls, let's be polite."]
‣ Paroxysms (i) - Trevor Duncan ["What are you gonna do about it, granny?"]
‣ Starboard - Sam Spence ["Granny power!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (t) - Jeremy Wakefield ["No, please, I can't take anymore!"]
‣ Flower Display - Jack Shaindlin [Beatrice finishes her story.]
‣ Pacific Blue - Tony Osborne ["We didn't mean to hurt your feelings."]
‣ Surfin Summer Girls [#27] - Ian Henry Marsh, Phil Pickett [Ending.]
- As of June 21, 2019, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.2/10 based on 253 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 6.0/10 based on 27 votes.
- This episode premiered on the same day as the 2016 Kids' Choice Awards.
- This is the ninth episode (along with the sister episode "Two Thumbs Down") to premiere on the same day as the Kids' Choice Awards. The first was "Help Wanted"/"Reef Blower"/"Tea at the Treedome" in 1999, the second was "Krabby Land"/"The Camping Episode" in 2004, the third was "Krusty Towers"/"Mrs. Puff, You're Fired" in 2006, the fourth was "Born to Be Wild"/"Best Frenemies" in 2007, the fifth was "Nautical Novice"/"Spongicus" in 2008, the sixth was "Sentimental Sponge" in 2011, the seventh was "Are You Happy Now?"/"Planet of the Jellyfish" in 2012, and the eighth was "Kenny the Cat" in 2014.
- SpongeBob only makes three cameos in this episode. He also only has one line, which is in the very last scene.
- This episode also marks SpongeBob's first smallest role in an episode.
- The last cameo is meant to reference how he does not play a notable role in the episode.
- This record has been beaten by "Whale Watching," where SpongeBob only appears twice and doesn't have any lines (he only laughs).
- Interestingly, both this episode and "Whale Watching" are Pearl centered episodes.
- The graffiti on one of the stores' doors says "Squidward Smells" and "Krabs is a," which is a reference to the same writing on the Krusty Krab dumpster in "Sailor Mouth."
- This is the second episode in which Pearl is the protagonist, the first being "Whale of a Birthday."
- On the original airing, the show's theme song is replaced with the Live Orange Carpet Coverage of the 2016 KCAs, with the intro synced to the audience.
- Karen makes a cameo in this episode, marking this as the first episode she appears without Plankton.
- The "One Hour Later..." time card of this episode has the same background as the title cards from the episodes "Naughty Nautical Neighbors" and "Summer Job."
- The title card of this episode is similar to those of "Porous Pockets" (colored in green) and "Perfect Chemistry" (colored in blue, with triangles right side up), while this episode's one is in pink. It also is similar to the one of "New Fish in Town" where the triangles are sideways instead.
- Out of four store employees in the episode, only two of them were revealed before the episode aired. The two who were revealed were Nocturna and Beatrice. The other two who were kept secret were secret Marina and Nixie. This is because only two out of four of them were voiced by special guest voice actors.
- This episode marks the first physical non-speaking appearance of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy since the death of Ernest Borgnine.
- This episode marks the first appearances of the following characters since the respective episodes:
- Bubble Buddy since "Bubble Buddy Returns"
- Karen since The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water
- Carl since "Selling Out"
- Dougie Williams since "Squirrel Jokes"
- Mime since "One Coarse Meal"
- Health Inspector Yellowtail since Fish Food Rescue: The Krusty Krab
- Boys Who Cry since "Whale of a Birthday"
- Granny since "Gramma's Secret Recipe"
- Electric Eel since "Enchanted Tiki Dreams"
- This episode premiered 14 years after Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies were released, three years after The Complete Eighth Season was released, and two years after SpongeBob Comics No. 30 was released.
- This episode premiered in Canada fifteen years after The Good, the Bad, and the Krabby and A Christmas Coral were published, ten years after the SpongeBob DetectivePants: The Case of the Missing Spatula book and The Art Contest: No Cheating Allowed! were published, and three years after "Don't Look Now" and "Séance Shméance" premiered in Greece.
- As of this episode, Karen started to have light aquamarine buttons instead of red buttons. The buttons are hard to see in this episode because she makes a brief appearance behind glass on another floor in the mall. However, they can be seen clearly in "CopyBob DittoPants."
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Pracująca dziewczyna," which translates to "Working Girl."
- In the scene where Beatrice knits the yellow scarf, to the left there is a store named Boutique Crappy, being the only instance so far in the series that such word has been used.
- Bikini Atoll can be seen in Beatrice's scrapbook.
- Starting with this episode, the storyboard supervisors are now credited as supervising directors.
- This is the first episode where SpongeBob had a cameo role.
- Hotdog on a String is a parody of the real-life Hot Dog on a Stick restaurant.
- When Pearl first reads the Coral Cuties magazine, the magazine's name on the back is shown in yellow text. However, after Pearl puts it down, the text turns red. Also, Derrick disappears from the back until Pearl picks up the magazine again.
- Even though the store is called "Bangles and Dangles," Nixie calls it by "Dangles and Bangles" earlier in the episode, and Pearl also calls it by the same name later in the episode.
- The credits call it the latter as well.
- The caustics in the opening credits don't stretch all the way to the edge of the screen, even though the sand does.
- In "Sleepy Time," Mr. Krabs' driver license said that his birthday was on November 30, 1942, and the street his residence is 3541 Anchor Way. But in this episode, it says that he was born on September 25, 1960, and his residence being 2219 Anchor Street instead of 3541 Anchor Lane. This can possibly mean that there is an "Anchor St." somewhere in Bikini Bottom.