- Squidward Tentacles
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Sandy Cheeks (in thought bubbles)
- Spider-like creature (debut)
- Sal (debut)
- Heidi the Hydrant (debut)
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott
- Tina Fran
- Jimmy Gus
- Nat Peterson
- Jennifer Millie
- Old Man Walker
On a normal day in Bikini Bottom, Squidward is taking a relaxing bubble bath and is in a good mood until he realizes he has to go to work. SpongeBob then comes out of his house in his underwear before he realizes his error and gets dressed as Squidward walks off, but SpongeBob catches up and they start walking to work.
SpongeBob goes on about his previous situation, as he feels it and the walk were taking a bit too long, despite Squidward stating they would be to work early. However, SpongeBob wants to be there even earlier and thinks they should take a shortcut. Squidward tries to explain why there is no shortcut and why they shouldn't try to find one, but SpongeBob still thinks he should as he states his belief that there is always a shortcut.
Squidward then asks SpongeBob on what moron told him that nonsense, as Patrick conveniently walks by them and says that there is always a shortcut, making Squidward understand it.
SpongeBob says that he is going to find the shortcut, as Squidward shows that the restaurant is up ahead with Mr. Krabs standing outside. SpongeBob asks Squidward if he wants to join but the latter declines, so SpongeBob takes a different path, thinking he can find a shorter way to get there, but bumps into Squidward walking in the normal path who repeats his words, though he sees that SpongeBob still doesn't get it.
He then tries to do another shortcut and finds himself in an unusual part of the town. SpongeBob tries to think it is a great shortcut and tells himself not to forget his wilderness training. He tries to remember what Sandy said and then proceeds to find the Krusty Krab.
He tries to do what he learned from wilderness training, starts with local landmarks, and assigns a broken fire hydrant as his landmark. He then spots a sign that appears to be the Krusty Krab sign, so he climbs over a fence and runs to it.
The scene pans to the Krusty Krab with Squidward relaxing in his workstation and then Mr. Krabs appears telling Squidward to stop lazing around even though there are no customers.
The scene cuts back to SpongeBob going toward what he thinks is the Krusty Krab, but it turns out to just be a sign that says "The Krabby Krust." He notices a fish painting signs and asks him if he knows where the Krusty Krab is, but said fish, Sal, says he's never heard of it. SpongeBob tells him about it, gives him coupons, and then Sal goes there on his truck without SpongeBob. SpongeBob cries, remembers to use his landmarks, and then tries to go back where he came from but can't remember too well. He finds the broken fire hydrant he found previously but then notices many broken fire hydrants.
SpongeBob then finds a pay phone and calls Squidward for help. The operator interrupts the call and tells him that if he wants to continue the call he needs to insert another dime, but he doesn't have one. He spots an abandoned sofa and then sees three tough-looking fish drinking soda, and SpongeBob tries to reach under the cushions of said sofa to see if there are any dimes, but instead finds two nickels.
One of the fish, Scott, asks him what he was doing, and SpongeBob tells him that he is looking for a dime. Scott shouts at SpongeBob and says that he drives a pedicab, so the latter hops into the former's pedicab and tells him that he needs to go to the Krusty Krab. Scott drops him off to what he thinks is the restaurant, but turns out to be The Krusty Klam.
SpongeBob begins frantically running, checks his watch, and then starts to make another shortcut, which causes him great pain, but finally finds the Krusty Krab for him. He crawls to it and enters, and then hugs two customers and kisses one of the elderly customers. He finds Patrick there and asks him how he got to the restaurant. Patrick says that Scott gave him a ride, which he always does, and Scott is seen outside waving at SpongeBob. Mr. Krabs appears and says that SpongeBob is scaring his customers away with his foul stench and tells him to go home and take a bath. Squidward protests that that was his thing, but Mr. Krabs says that the former is clean. As a result, Squidward starts to roll around in the dirt and asks where his bubble bath is. Mr. Krabs sprays Squidward with a hose as Sal shortly comes to the Krusty Krab on his truck and runs over a puddle, which splashes onto Squidward. Mr. Krabs orders Squidward back to work and Sal asks about the coupon. Mr. Krabs then says it's actually another fee, and Sal realizes his error but still wants food. They walk off-screen, with Squidward still left in the puddle as the episode ends.
According to Sherm Cohen, "Bob Camp did most of the work on this one. Although many artists add/revise/plus the board, it's a Bob Camp board. It was an honor to have him draw the first new episode!"
The pay phone was different in the final version than it was in the storyboard version.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Another Best Day Ever - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Aloha Oe - Hans Haider, Queen Lili'uokalani [opening]
‣ Steel Sting (a) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Ready for work!"]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob stops]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Not ready for work!"]
‣ Spongey Bubbles - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob and Squidward walking to work]
‣ Another Krusty Krab Day - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["I don't follow."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to next scene]
‣ A Fishy Conversation - Barry Anthony [SpongeBob checks his watch]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick walks by]
‣ Jolly Little Roger - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Yoo-hoo!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["You're still not getting it!"]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 1 - Phil Green ["Now this is what I call a real great shortcut."]
‣ ? [Wilderness training]
‣ Pell-Mell - Sam Spence [SpongeBob looking for local landmarks]
‣ Humorous Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Large and unusual shell]
‣ Unknown Track 37 - Nicolas Carr ["There it is! The Krusty Krab!"]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [Choir]
‣ Hawaiian Breeze - Jon Jelmer [Squidward relaxing at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Well, look at this."]
‣ A Simple Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob walks by.]
‣ Unknown Track 45 - Nicolas Carr [Choir.]
‣ A Simple Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [guy painting signs.]
‣ Short Military Bridge - Nicolas Carr ["Sandy's wilderness tips are always on the money."]
‣ Assault - Phil Green, Geoffrey Love, Ken Thorne ["I'm lost!!!"]
‣ Desperate Situation - Phil Green [Several broken hydrants]
‣ Danger Sign - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob calls Squidward]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob looking for a dime]
‣ Noodly Shenanigans - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["This is our abandoned sofa!"]
‣ Creeping Up 29 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Hey, listen"]
‣ Another Best Day Ever - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Need a ride somewhere?"]
‣ Disastrous Event 2 - Harry Lubin ["Krusty Klam?!"]
‣ Panic Patrol - Kenny Graham [SpongeBob goes through a sewage pipe]
‣ Climb to Altitude - Trevor Duncan ["That's the Krusty Krab!"]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Patrick?"]
‣ Steel Sting (f) - Jeremy Wakefield [Pedicab]
‣ Jovial Pirates Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Squidward, can you believe I made it?"/Krabs orders SpongeBob to go home and get a bath.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm as neat as a pin?"]
‣ Slipping and Sliding Stooges - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward rolling in dirt]
‣ Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- The original title for this episode was "The Shortcut."
- The French dub of this episode ("Le Raccourci") still uses this title.
- There have been promotions for this episode called "Where's the Square?"
- This episode premiered on the same day as the 2015 Kids' Choice Sports Awards.
- Lowercase closed-captioning, not seen since "That's No Lady" premiered in 2006, returns starting with this episode.
- This episode's title card uses the same pattern as Squidward's bathroom wallpaper, though not the same colors.
- In the beginning, there's a gag where SpongeBob wakes up and shouts random gibberish while falling down the stairs getting ready for work, a possible continuity reference to "Missing Identity."
- Squidward breaks the fourth wall when he is drawing his "distance between two points" example on the screen.
- Both this episode and its sister episode, "Tutor Sauce," feature a character referencing a straight line between two points.
- The fire hydrants in this episode were shown to be all metal. The ones in "Squidville," "Prehibernation Week," and a few of the earlier episodes are part metal, and part barrel.
- This episode takes place before "Party Pooper Pants" because in this episode SpongeBob does not know what a pay phone is, but in "Party Pooper Pants" he uses one.
- There were two similar Krusty Krab-like places: Krabby Krust and The Krusty Klam.
- This episode almost takes place in real time. SpongeBob's shortcut takes him 12 minutes, and he's shown taking the shortcut for 8 minutes.
- Patrick is shown to sometimes take Scott's pedicab to the Krusty Krab.
- Starting with this episode, Paul Tibbitt is credited as executive producer instead of supervising producer. He remains credited as executive producer for the rest of season 9.
- Starting with this episode, the show is now script driven once again rather than storyboard driven.
- Starting with this episode, the colors are more vibrant and neon-like.
- Starting with this episode, the top of SpongeBob's head is yellow, instead of green.
- This is the first episode to be produced after the The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water finished production.
- This is the first episode since the season 3 finale, "Pranks a Lot," to have Stephen Hillenburg credited as the executive producer.
- This is the first HD episode to have the opening credits correctly fade in after the title card, as with the episodes in SD format. In previous season 9 episodes, "Truth or Square," and "It's a SpongeBob Christmas!," the title card cuts to the opening credits instead of fading in.
- This is the first HD episode to use the sound effects for bubble transitions from seasons 1-8. In other HD episodes, the sound effects are slightly different.
- This is the first episode to be written by Jack Pendarvis.
- This and "Tutor Sauce" are the first episodes in 10 years since "Good Neighbors" to be written by only one writer.
- This is one of two episodes only to be storyboarded by Bob Camp, as the other is "Pull Up a Barrel."
- This episode premiered on Will Ferrell's 48th birthday.
- This episode premiered in Canada 14 years after "Welcome to the Chum Bucket," "Frankendoodle," "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV," and "Doing Time" premiered.
- This episode premiered in Latin America on the same day as the November 2015 Paris attacks.
- This episode premiered in Greece on June 5, 2016.
- When Squidward first points at the Krusty Krab, it is on a straight road. Shortly after, Squidward points at the Krusty Krab again and says, "Look, the Krusty Krab is right at the end of the block!," the road is now curved.
- Squidward forgot how to explain the point A to point B, but after SpongeBob goes through all of the obstacles and sees Squidward ahead of him, Squidward says, "Point A to point B."
- Scott appeared to not know where the Krusty Krab was since he took SpongeBob to the Krusty Klam instead, but then Patrick reveals that Scott gives him a ride to the Krusty Krab every day, which suggests that Scott does know where the Krusty Krab is.
- It is possible that he did not know the directions from the couch to the Krusty Krab, or that he misheard SpongeBob saying Klam instead of Krab.
- When SpongeBob arrives at the Krusty Krab and says, "I made it, oh, I made it," the Chum Bucket is not seen.
- When SpongeBob arrived at the Krusty Krab, it was two minutes before opening time, so there should not have been any customers in the restaurant.
- Patrick has never been seen arriving at the Krusty Krab on Scott's pedicab prior to this episode.
- The credits misspell "choking" as "chocking."