- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles (cameo; tentacle only)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Captain Frostymug (debut)
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott
- Nat Peterson (cameo)
- Abigail Marge (cameo)
- Frank (red shirt) (cameo)
- Dave (cameo)
- Fred (blue) (cameo)
- Evelyn (cameo)
- Ivy (cameo)
- Thaddeus (cameo)
- Dale (cameo)
- Debbie Rechid (cameo)
- Dennis (cameo)
- Sandals (cameo)
- Nathiel Waters (cameo)
- Shubie (cameo)
- Clay (cameo)
- Nazz-Mimi (cameo)
- Jimmy Gus (cameo)
- Frankie Billy (cameo)
- Paco (cameo)
- Sadie (cameo)
- Milkshake Academy cadets (debut)
- King Neptune (mentioned)
One day around lunchtime, while working at the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob gets a last minute order to serve a milkshake which he has not made in years. SpongeBob decides to make a simple milkshake in a blender and finishes it off by topping whipped cream and a cherry while walking out of the kitchen door. He serves it to Harold. Then, Harold says it tastes horrible (and throws a temper tantrum, demanding a refund while angry). Mr. Krabs comes in and walks Harold out of the restaurant while telling him that SpongeBob will make a proper milkshake for him tomorrow. It's then revealed that SpongeBob's milkshake license expired seven years ago. Mr. Krabs then puts SpongeBob in a boatmobile and says he is taking him back to school.
SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs later arrive at the Milkshake Academy and SpongeBob has to attend the academy to learn how to make a proper milkshake again. Captain Frostymug tells the cadets to man their milkshake stations. When SpongeBob mans his station, he realizes that there are more buttons and contraptions than he's used to, but thinks he still can make a milkshake with no problem. Later, when he tries to mix the milkshake, he repeatedly pushes the wrong button. Frostymug comes over and has to inform SpongeBob that the controls are different and he has to push the button on the lower control panel. When SpongeBob manages to finally mix his milkshake, he lets Frostymug try it. However, when he tries it, the milkshake is frozen and it ends up in his eye. Frostymug suggests they need to get back to the basics. He tells SpongeBob before he makes a milkshake, he needs to know what it feels like to be a milkshake. He makes him go into the Shake Simulator, which shapes cadets who enter it into a milkshake-shaped blob. Frostymug sets the Simulator on "Obliterate," which makes the students gasp. A cadet reminds him that no one has ever survived Obliterate, to which he responds that he needs to learn. The simulator shakes, rattles, and rolls SpongeBob. Captain Frostymug decides to see how SpongeBob turned out and gets angry when he sees that he both survived, was unaffected and actually found it fun, believing it to be a fun carnival ride and asking to go again.
Angry, Frostymug says that he's never had such an "unteachable moron" in 30 years. He asks his students to tell him how he could teach SpongeBob how to make a milkshake (with one student replying, "You'd be better off teaching a piece of coral, sir!" to which the students laugh at). SpongeBob replies that he'll show the students that he can make a milkshake properly.
However, during the courses of making a milkshake, SpongeBob fails doing them all. During graduation, SpongeBob expects to get his milkshake license at this event. However, Captain Frostymug gives everyone milkshake licenses except for SpongeBob, since he couldn't even get past Step #1 of making a milkshake, which was filling the glass with ice cream. SpongeBob tells Frostymug that he will keep trying and heads to the milkshake machine. Captain Frostymug tells him he needs to put the milkshake up to "the spinny thing." Then, he stops, flashing back to 20 years ago.
In the flashback, he was the owner of a milkshake café called Milk Shake. Many customers were excited to have Frostymug's milkshakes. However, when he tried to make a milkshake for an eager customer, he ended up splattering the milkshake all over the store. A stain of milkshake got on the power lines that connect to the milkshake machine, destroying it. The milkshake machine squirted out milkshake stains onto the customers, frightening them and ruining Frostymug's career. He informs SpongeBob that he has not touched the milkshake machine in 20 years and gets his hand stuck in the machine. He is about to get his arm and all of him sucked into the machine, but SpongeBob is able to grab and save him. The machine ends up exploding, but Frostymug thanks SpongeBob for saving him. Thanks to the machine incident, Frostymug's arm is hurt. He realizes that he doesn't need a machine to make a milkshake and tells SpongeBob that a milkshake comes from within the heart.
The next day, at the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob serves Harold a milkshake, which he replies is the best he's ever had. Everyone now wants to buy SpongeBob's milkshakes. Captain Frostymug comes in, requesting a milkshake and gives SpongeBob his new milkshake license to which SpongeBob replies, "If only it were this easy to get a boating license" and laughs, ending the episode.
According to the storyboard, while Captain Frostymug was falling, he was going to make a beard out of whipped cream. This was mostly likely cut to save time. Also, he was originally going to have a red beard instead of a gray beard.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Bikini Bottom Bound - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Double dip milkshake?"]
‣ Jovial Pirates Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob serves the milkshake]
‣ Unknown Track 45 - Nicolas Carr [cherry on top]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [customer tries to drink the milkshake]
‣ Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["This thing's frozen!"]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford ["...seven years ago!"]
‣ The Krusty Krab Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs tells the customer to come back tomorrow]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs throws SpongeBob into his car]
‣ Yankee Doodle - Larry Hochman [Krabs drops SpongeBob off]
‣ Achievements in Aviation - Anthony W Mawer ["The Milkshake Academy!"]
‣ Dragon Flight A - Daryl Neil Alexander Griffith [Captain Frostymug jumps out of a plane]
‣ Military Parade (a) - Mladen Franko [Frostymug introduces himself]
‣ Glory Road - Sam Fonteyn [Frostymug explains his purpose]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [cadets laugh]
‣ Glory Road - Sam Fonteyn ["This, Cadet SquarePants, is your scooper."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [cadets run around]
‣ The Donut Dilemma - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob tries to make a milkshake]
‣ ? ["Sir, yes, sir!"]
‣ The Donut Dilemma - Nicolas Carr ["How silly of me."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (r) - Jeremy Wakefield [milkshake is frozen]
‣ A Hero's Story (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [shake simulator]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["That was fun, can I go again?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (i) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob gets embarrassed]
‣ Dangerous Milkshake Zone - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston [training montage]
‣ West Point - Larry Hochman [Frostymug giving milkshake licenses]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Um, the printer ran out of ink?"]
‣ Tympup (a) - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy ["No, you simpleton!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield [Frostymug refuses to give SpongeBob a license]
‣ Terror Hunt - Phil Green ["The spinny thing..."]
‣ ? [20 years earlier]
‣ Red Alert [#8] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [milkshake machine explodes]
‣ Dramatic End [#49] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["No!"]
‣ Epic Adventure - Dick Stephen Walter ["I'm stuck in the blender!"]
‣ Shock Happening 2 - Harry Lubin [SpongeBob rescues Frostymug]
‣ Legion of Honor [#22] - Harry Bluestone ["I'd like to tell you a secret."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Not at all."]
‣ Jovial Pirates Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [back at the Krusty Krab]
‣ V for Victory - Sam Fonteyn [Frostymug gives SpongeBob his milkshake license.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob, You're Fired!, Krabby Days, Complete Ninth Season, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- As of June 21, 2019, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 6.4/10 based on 185 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 5.3/10 based on 51 votes.
- The episode's title is mentioned when Harold says to SpongeBob "You probably don't even have a license to milkshake!"
- SpongeBob's milkshake license was first shown in "Yours, Mine and Mine."
- This is the second episode where Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob have gotten out of the Krusty Krab using the back door (shown on the left) while pursuing on the boatmobile. The first is in "Bummer Vacation."
- In one scene SpongeBob makes a Krabby Patty instead of a milkshake. This is similar to "Le Big Switch" in which SpongeBob is unable to make anything other than a Krabby Patty.
- The fighter jet in which SpongeBob flew on resembles the German World War II fighter: the Me 262, the world's first jet fighter.
- This is the first time that a time card is in 16:9 HDTV/widescreen.
- This episode premiered 11 years after the premiere of "The Secret Box" and "Band Geeks."
- This episode premiered in Canada four years after "Pet or Pests" premiered.
- The training montage is a parody of the movie Top Gun, with SpongeBob riding a motorcycle, flying in a fighter jet, and playing beach volleyball.
- The episode's title is a reference to the James Bond film License to Kill.
- The Milkshake Academy is an obvious parody to the Military Academy.
- Captain Frostymug mentions "Chinny chin-chins," which is a reference to the nursery rhyme The Three Little Pigs.
- In Germany, the time card was translated incorrectly. On the German one, it says 30 years earlier.
- On Amazon Prime Video, it clarifies that this episode and its sister episode were released in 1999, although they were released in 2012.
- At the end, when SpongeBob says, "If only it were this easy to get a boating license!," the closed captions incorrectly translate, "If only it were this easy to get a voting license!"
- This error is fixed on The Complete Ninth Season and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- When SpongeBob drank the milkshake at the beach, he had a milkshake mustache but when he poured the rest on his head and shook himself, it had disappeared.
- Captain Frostymug said that SpongeBob couldn't even get past step number one of making a milkshake (filling the glass with ice cream). However, it was shown numerous times that SpongeBob did, in fact, do this.
- However, it could just be an exaggeration for "SpongeBob can't make a milkshake."
- Alternatively, it could be due to the fact that the ice cream was frozen when it came out, meaning that the first step was done incorrectly.
- Captain Frostymug referred to the Milkshake Academy cadets as "Boys" even though there were 2 females.
- However, the Milkshake Academy appears to be a parody of the Military Academy, in which "boys" is sometimes used to refer to both genders.
- When Captain Frostymug got his arm stuck in the blender, he somehow managed to get both of his legs in the blender seconds later.
- Harold comments that his shake was disgusting and breaks the table with his solid milkshake. Seconds later, he puts the shake in SpongeBob's hat and smashes it. The shake becomes a viscous liquid within seconds, which should not be possible.
- When SpongeBob gives Harold his milkshake, he has eyebrows. In the next scene, his eyebrows disappear. At the end of the episode, his eyebrows are back.
- SpongeBob trying to make a milkshake, but fails.