What is Leif Erikson Day?
Do you like this video?
Role in episode
On Leif Erikson Day, "hinga-dinga-durgen" is said and a Viking helmet and large red beard are worn.
- Leif Erikson Day is an actual US national holiday, celebrated annually on October 9, that commemorates both the Icelandic-Norwegian explorer Leif Erikson first setting foot in North America, and the accomplishments and contributions of Nordic-Americans in American history and society. It was originally proposed as an alternative to the federal holiday, Columbus Day, by those that thought Erikson should have been celebrated instead of Columbus, due to the explorer discovering North America 500 years before Columbus did.
- National Geographic gave a brief mention of SpongeBob celebrating the holiday in this article, along with also mentioning his love for April Fools' Day.
- SpongeBob's celebration of the holiday is also mentioned in the book Who Was Leif Erikson?
- The clip featuring this holiday is a meme.
- The book Who Was Leif Erikson? has a page dedicated to this scene.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.