- Larry the Lobster
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 69
- Incidental 32
- Incidental 87
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 34
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 23 (green)
- Incidental 104
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 25
- Incidental 24
- Incidental 12
- Incidental 16
- Incidental 10
- Incidental 29
- Incidental 21
- Incidental 155 (red)
- Incidental 94 (7-colored)
- Incidental 157 (68-colored)
- Fred (blue)
- Incidental 20
- Incidental 83
- Incidental 63
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 30
- Incidental 11
- Incidental 17
- Incidental 152
- Incidental 68
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 115
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 65
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 82
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 15 (color palette only)
- Mrs. Puff
- Gary the Snail
- King Neptune (mentioned)
- Bubble Bass (cameo)
- Squidward Tentacles
The episode starts out with Larry the Lobster announcing the opening of his gym in front of a crowd. Larry also says that he is opening his gym to everyone in Bikini Bottom after seeing most are out of shape but at the price of a lifetime membership much to the displeasure of the crowd. However, Larry says that for only today, everything is free, much to the excitement of the crowd, who rush inside of the gym. Customers sign in membership forms and Mr. Krabs suddenly appears upon hearing the word "free" from Larry, who then rushes inside of the gym as well. Larry agrees to help anyone but sees SpongeBob struggling to open a door whom he tells it is automatic. SpongeBob is not even heavy enough for the door to open and Larry assists SpongeBob inside. Larry then spots Mr. Krabs trying to leave with an exercise bike and reminds him the first visit is free. Mr. Krabs heads back inside mistakenly hearing that it will be forever free if he does not leave. Larry is eager to work out, but must file out all of the membership forms first.
Inside, Larry is seen going through the paperwork and is worn out until SpongeBob walks up to him showing his cramps. Larry advises SpongeBob to always stay hydrated and gives him a bottle of water, which SpongeBob drinks and his cramps heal. Larry then agrees to personally train SpongeBob, but only if he signs a lifetime membership, which he does (with some difficulty). Larry walks SpongeBob over to the exercise equipment and SpongeBob (after seeing Mr. Krabs barely lifting a large set of weights) starts to doubt himself, saying he cannot lift weights. Larry, upon hearing this, puts cotton balls on a cotton swab to see if SpongeBob can lift it, but SpongeBob is not able to lift it. SpongeBob continues to stay hydrated while Larry walks SpongeBob over to where he leads his exercise class the next day. Larry then decides to show SpongeBob some crunches, but SpongeBob simply laughs as he doing this. Larry, who is in the middle of doing paperwork, is annoyed by Mr. Krabs flossing his towel in front of him saying "free towels." Mr. Krabs thanks Larry for the free membership and then leaves, but not before poking fun at Larry's potbelly as Larry is shown to be out of shape. Larry then enters the exercise room to check up on SpongeBob, but is shocked by something.
The next day, at the Krusty Krab, the customers can be seen angry wanting their food, and in the kitchen, SpongeBob is seen very huge and muscular and is struggling with the Krabby Patties. Squidward is also surprised by SpongeBob's appearance and SpongeBob decides to leave back to the gym. SpongeBob arrives at the gym to see Larry completely out of shape. Larry comments saying he has been doing so much paperwork that he does not have any time to work out. Larry soon becomes depressed over his appearance, with Mr. Krabs drinking his tears, thinking it is "free soup." Later, SpongeBob is seen teaching Larry's exercise class, demonstrating exercise procedures. Larry then walks over back to his desk barely even able to lift anything, and SpongeBob eventually confronts him. Larry then decides to let SpongeBob run the gym, but SpongeBob is sad that he is too big and strong to work the grill at the Krusty Krab. Larry and SpongeBob then share a "bro hug" and, suddenly, water pours out of SpongeBob and he returns to normal. Larry concludes that SpongeBob was overhydrated and that those were "water muscles." SpongeBob says that Larry's hug was strong enough to squeeze the water out of him. Larry then shares a laugh with SpongeBob while doing crutches and returns to normal. Back at the Krusty Krab later that evening, SpongeBob is excited to be working the grill again and Squidward comments that the day was even better as Mr. Krabs never showed up. At Larry's gym, Larry opens the steam room to find Mr. Krabs cooked up. Mr. Krabs then asks Larry if he could rub butter on him, as the episode ends.
- Mr. Krabs commenting on the free service at Larry's Gym, then calling Larry a "sucker."
Adam Paloian, storyboard artist shared on his Tumblr page there was a scene on this episode that got censored. "Here is a deleted/changed scene that didn't make it past the censors. In this scene, Larry originally said, "The only thing worse than donuts is ground glass!" as he forcefully broke a glass cup in a fish incidental's mouth... Hmm, I guess now it kinda makes sense why S&P didn't approve of this one."
The scene sequence that got censored.
|( ‣ ) Production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card.]
• Sponge Surf No Guit Me - Billy Lincoln, Michael Gurley [Grand opening of Larry's gym.]
• It's Magic - Nicolas Carr [Krabs appears.]
‣ Sea Shanty Medley - Phil Green [Krabs appears.]
• It's Magic - Nicolas Carr [Krabs disappears]
‣ Roundup - Sam Spence ["In conclusion, I'm at your service..."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 16C - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob struggling to open the door.]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr [Door opens.]
• Salty Krab Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs stealing a workout machine.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 9A - Jeremy Wakefield ["...right after I file this paperwork"]
• New Vibe Hits 2007 - Nicolas Carr ["Even your cramps have cramps!"]
• Surf N Sponge featuring Mongo Bongo - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Always be hydrating"]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Huge pile of paperwork.]
‣ Regal Happy Theme - Sam Spence [SpongeBob filling out paperwork.]
• Galley Cooks Shanty - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs lifting weights.]
• 12th Street Rag with Bass - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Flashback.]
• A Fishy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Cotton swabs.]
• Lite Weight Harp - Nicolas Carr
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 17D - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob's arms break.]
‣ Beach Party - Harry Bluestone [Doing crunches.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 24A - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob laughs while he's doing crunches.]
• Galley Cooks Shanty - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Free towels, free towels, free towels..."]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Pot...belly?"]
• Oh My Neptune! - Nicolas Carr ["Oh, my Neptune!"]
‣ Harry the Hippo - Phil Green [At the Krusty Krab.]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr ["Larry?"]
‣ Pacific Blue - Tony Osborne [West One Music] [Larry says he's too busy to exercise.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 13A - Jeremy Wakefield [Larry cries.]
• Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Exercise class.]
• M'Wanna - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Larry's sad.]
• Salt Water Works - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Larry asks SpongeBob to take over.]
• New Vibe Hits 2007 - Nicolas Carr ["What happened?"]
‣ Roundup - Sam Spence [SpongeBob and Larry doing crunches.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 17D - Jeremy Wakefield [The very next evening...]
• Another Krusty Krab Day - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Closing time at the Krusty Krab.]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Huh?"]
‣ Dramatic Impact (6) - Ivor Slaney ["Mr. Krabs, how long have you been in there?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 2B - Jeremy Wakefield ["I think I'm done."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 10 - Jeremy Wakefield [Ending.]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 16, SpongeBob LongPants, Complete Ninth Season, Next 100 Episodes, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- This is the second episode in the series to end with Mr. Krabs being cooked up in live-action form. The first was "Wishing You Well."
- This episode marks the fifth instance of SpongeBob being muscular. The first was "MuscleBob BuffPants" during a dream sequence and when he orders Anchor Arms, the second time was "The Fry Cook Games" during a wrestling match against Patrick, the third was "Blackened Sponge" when he is dreaming, and the fourth was The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water when he transforms into Invincibubble.
- The title card background for this episode is similar to that of "MuscleBob BuffPants," except that this title card is lighter in color and only has one dumbbell instead of eleven.
- Larry's shorts are blue and turquoise in this episode, while they are green and orange in other episodes.
- This is the first episode is the first for many things:
- Irony: The front door of Larry's Gym is automatic though the gym is supposed to promote exercise.
- When Mr. Krabs rubs a towel in front of Larry and says "Free towels!" repeatedly, he does it in a similar manner when he rubs his one millionth dollar in "Clams."
- "My leg!:" Incidental 107 screams this when he gets hit by the grill.
- Starting this episode, "My leg!" has been rerecorded.
- The scene of SpongeBob unable to lift a cotton swab with cotton balls attached at both ends is similar to that of "Ripped Pants," where SpongeBob unable to lift a branch with marshmallows attached at both ends.
- Larry's Gym does appear in future episodes.
- This is the third episode in which a time card goes back in time instead of forward in time, with the first being in "The Monster Who Came to Bikini Bottom" ("Yesterday") and the second being in "License to Milkshake" ("Twenty Years Earlier").
- The episode was originally going to premiere on Friday, February 26, 2016, but was pushed to Presidents' Day. The reason for this is unknown.
- This is the first episode in the series of Bubble Bass as a recurring character after his retirement for 12 years after season 1, except for one cameo in the season 8 episode "Plankton's Good Eye."
- On HBO Go, Incidental 107 with scissors in his head was cut.
- The episode title card uses the same font as the Gold's Gym logo.
- A poster on Larry's Gym's wall shows "No slacking" with Larry posing similarly to Uncle Sam.
- SpongeBob often contradicts himself because he is able to hold a pencil, clipboard, and other things, whereas when Larry is pushing him, SpongeBob cannot even lift cotton balls.
- When Mr. Krabs' arms come off of him and the barbell falls on him, it seems it fell on his chest, but in the next shot, it is right on his neck, and the shell in that area cracks.
- The narrator says, "The Very Next Evening...," when the time card actually says, "The Next Evening..."
- ^ http://prsdube16.blogspot.com/2016/02/nickelodeon-africa-to-premiere-brand.html
- ^ https://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=440&ti=426,440&Search%5FArg=Spongebob%20SquarePants&Search%5FCode=FT%2A&CNT=25&PID=v8Ib2VBAY7D5MVSDMBbkM0pcwonRA&SEQ=20220519222913&SID=1
- ^ http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/spongebob-squarepants/listings/