"Lame and Fortune" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season nine. In this episode, when fortune cookies start predicting the future, Plankton realizes he can twist them into his own evil schemes.
- Gary the Snail
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Daydream SpongeBob
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Daydream Mr. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Dream Squidward
- Green executive
- Frank (red shirt)
- Frankie Billy
- Miss Rechid
- Monroe Timmy
- Ivy (gray)
- Baby worms (debut)
- Frank (lifeguard)
- Dennis (citizen)
- Fred (blue)
- Medley Fishbowl
- Peterson Nat Tucker
- Susie Rechid
- Taylor Fishbowl
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Karen Plankton
- Daydream Karen
- Shelly Fishbowl
- Old Man Jenkins (blue)
- Daydream Old Man Walker
- Daydream Dwight T. Wad
- Daydream Betsy Krabs
- Daydream Redbeard Krabs
- Daydream old crab
- One of Mr. Krabs' daydream nephews
- Daydream Pearl
- Nathiel Waters
- Squidina's mother
- Billy (lime fish)
- Jennifer Millie
- Jimmy Gus
- Martha Smith
- Norma Rechid
- Incidental 47
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Vera Fishbowl
- Incidental 2
- Tina Fran
- Kevin C. Cucumber (leg only)
- Sheep (mentioned)
- Billy (brown fish)
- Chinese Food customer
- Mama Plankton (mentioned)
SpongeBob and Gary are watching the clouds, when a crate of fortune cookies lands on them. After they both eat one fortune cookie, they read their fortunes which end up coming true. SpongeBob gets the idea to give them away at the Krusty Krab, but Mr. Krabs doesn't buy it. He makes Squidward eat one and read his fortune, which gets him rewarded stacks of cash for his talent of being the most miserable cashier.
Afterward, Mr. Krabs believes him and starts giving away the fortune cookies, and everyone's fortunes come true. After finding out about the fortune cookies, Plankton makes fortune cookies that state bad things about the Krusty Krab. He puts them in-place of the real fortune cookies which SpongeBob takes into the restaurant. The customers obtain their fortune cookies and read about the bad qualities of the Krusty Krab.
One customer gets a fortune stating they'll live forever if they eat at the Chum Bucket, so everyone rushes over there. Afterward, Plankton secretly makes Mr. Krabs take a fortune cookie stating he'll die unless he gives up the formula to a copepod. Plankton comes in and Mr. Krabs along with SpongeBob rush to his office upon noticing him. Mr. Krabs is worried that he'll die and imagines himself in his funeral. Afterward, SpongeBob tells him to give up the formula as his life is more important than it.
They go over to the Chum Bucket, packed with customers, with the formula. However, they can't get in because of the overflow of customers, so SpongeBob tries to swim through them while Plankton tries to catch him. Unfortunately, the formula slips underneath the customers and Plankton fails to retrieve it. He gets annoyed and tells everyone the fortune cookies were fake, making everyone leave. Mr. Krabs keeps the formula, and gives a fortune cookie to Plankton which tells him he will go on a long voyage where he will get everything he deserves, which unfortunately lands him in a Chinese restaurant. A customer finds him in his or her meal and catches him with chopsticks, leading Plankton to yell "Mommy!" before being eaten.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Opening.]
‣ Evil Mind 3 - Dick De Benedictis [Crate dropped into ocean.]
‣ Alekoki - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob and Gary watching clouds.]
‣ ? ["Look at that big one! And getting bigger and bigger and..."]
‣ Dramatic Encounter - Gregor Narholz [Crate lands on SpongeBob.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Gary, that was a pretty heavy cloud."]
‣ ? ["Ooh, fortune cookies!"]
‣ Credit Card Heaven - Nicolas Carr [Shot of a fortune cookie.]
‣ Fairies (a) - John Fox, Otto Sieben [SpongeBob and Gary eating fortune cookies.]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to the Krusty Krab.]
‣ Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["No, SpongeBob, we are not handing out anything free with every purchase!"]
‣ Samba in the Sky - Colin Frechter [Squidward wins a cash prize.]
• Daily Chores Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs takes Squidward's money/"We will share these magical macaroons with all the folks in Bikini Bottom."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (p) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Great."]
• Jovial Pirate's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Krabs give out fortune cookies.]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Fish eating hat.]
‣ Grand Pastures [#28] - Harry Bluestone [Fish fall in love.]
‣ Clowning Around Again - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["You will soon injure your legs?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (c) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Those fortune cookies are a hit."]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede ["Fortune cookies at the Krusty Krab, eh?"]
‣ The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Karen wants Plankton to take out the trash.]
‣ They're Coming! - Trevor Duncan [Plankton making fortune cookies.]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [Plankton brings his cookies to the Krusty Krab.]
• Pirate's Opus - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [People buying fortune cookies.]
‣ Four Evil Men (c) - Trevor Duncan [People reading Plankton's fortunes.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 4 - Jeremy Wakefield [Everyone goes to the Chum Bucket.]
‣ Creeping Up [#63] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Krabs takes a fortune cookie.]
‣ Evil Wizard OL - Udi Harpaz [Plankton at the door.]
‣ Melodramatic Moments - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Just how true are these cookie fortunes, SpongeBob?"]
‣ In Loving Memory (a) - Len Ranle [Mr. Krabs funeral.]
‣ The Great White (g) - Gregor Narholz [SpongeBob's arm pops off.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield [Mr. Krabs takes the formula.]
‣ Humorous Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Plankton giving chum to the customers.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (w) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I promised myself I wouldn't cry."]
‣ Sea Adventure - Sam Spence ["Leave it to me, Mr. Krabs."]
‣ Battle at Sea - Johnny Pearson [SpongeBob "swims" through the crowd.]
‣ Murder Scene 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Here, Plankton. Mr. Krabs wants you to have this."]
• Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton trying to get the formula.]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton admits he wrote the fortunes.]
• Another Best Day Ever - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Everyone goes back to the Krusty Krab.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton lands in a Chinese food restaurant.]
- This episode is available on the Sea Side Story, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 16, Complete Ninth Season, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- It is revealed that Mr. Krabs values his life more the Krabby Patty secret formula.
- One of Kevin C. Cucumber's legs make a brief appearance in the Chum Bucket when Plankton is trying to get the secret formula bottle.
- The "My leg!" gag is referenced in this episode when Ivy gets a fortune saying "You will soon injure your legs" and a piano crashes down on his legs. He also screams "My leg!" after the piano crashes.
- During the Best of the Baddies marathon, This episode was paired with "Just One Bite."
- This was Squidward's 300th appearance in the series.
- This was the first episode to air for the July 2016 premiere week.
- This episode was rumored to premiere on May 7, 2016, but it did not premiere on that date. The episode officially premiered in both Israel and the United States 2 months later in July 2016.
- This is the first premiere episode to have the new HD theme song. However, this is not the first episode to show it; the HD version was shown on an "Eek, an Urchin!" rerun on July 9, 2016.
- Unlike the American premiere, the Canadian premiere of this episode did not feature the HD theme song.
- This is the first episode to use a CGI model of the Bikini Atoll island.
- The ships and boxes were also CGI.
- This is Betsy Krabs' first appearance since "Spongicus."
- This is also Grandpa Redbeard's second appearance in the series.
- It is also the second appearance of Mr. Krabs' nephews. However, only one of the nephews are seen.
- This is also Grandpa Redbeard's second appearance in the series.
- This is the second episode in which SpongeBob pressures Squidward into eating something. The first is "Just One Bite."
- This episode marks the second time Plankton is seen on the surface. The first is in The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water.
- This is the second episode where a character ends up in a real life restaurant at the end. The first is "Wishing You Well."
- This is the fifth episode to end with Plankton being eaten. The first is "F.U.N.," the second is "20,000 Patties Under the Sea," the third is "Banned in Bikini Bottom," and the fourth is "Frozen Face-Off."
- This is the fourth episode where Squidward has been referred to as an octopus as he should be. The first is "The Play's the Thing," the second is "Sweet and Sour Squid," and the third is "Patrick! The Game."
- This is the fourth episode where something has been dropped into Bikini Bottom. The first is "Frankendoodle" with the Magic Pencil, the second is "Truth or Square" with the pineapple that SpongeBob lives in, and the third is The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water with the page ripped off the Magic Book that reads "The End."
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Ciastko z wróżbą," which translates to "Fortune Cookie."
- In the Greek dub the episode's title is "Τα Τυχερά Μπισκότα," which translates to "The Fortune Cookies."
- An upside down version of the title card background is used in "Plankton Retires."
- The title is a reference to the phrase "fame and fortune" and the 1960 Elvis Presley song of the same name.
- When Plankton states fortune cookies are "hollow, full of lies, and leave a bad taste in your mouth" is taken from the speech the Mandarin gives in Iron Man 3.
- Chumbalaya is a parody of the Creole dish Jambalaya.
- The splat Plankton formed when he was squished is a reference to the old Nickelodeon splat and The Splat logo.
- When SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs enter the Krusty Krab, the doors are missing.
- In the scene right after SpongeBob takes Plankton's fortune cookies, Lenny is shown without his suit on in the wide shot, but in the shot where Squidward asks for a break, Lenny is wearing his suit.
- When SpongeBob reads Gary's fortune, a trail of slime can be seen behind him. However, it is unseen after.