"Lame and Fortune" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season nine. In this episode, when fortune cookies start predicting the future, Plankton realizes he can twist them into his own evil schemes.
- Gary the Snail
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Green executive
- Debbie Rechid
- Frank (red shirt)
- Frankie Billy
- Miss Rechid
- Monroe Timmy
- Ivy (gray)
- Baby worms (debut)
- Frank (lifeguard)
- Dennis (citizen)
- Fred (blue)
- Medley Fishbowl
- Nat Peterson
- Susie Rechid
- Taylor Fishbowl
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Karen Plankton
- Daydream Karen
- Shelly Fishbowl
- Old Man Jenkins (blue)
- Daydream Old Man Walker
- Daydream Dwight T. Wad
- Daydream Betsy Krabs
- Daydream Grandpa Redbeard
- Daydream old crab
- One of Mr. Krabs' daydream nephews
- Daydream Pearl
- Nathiel Waters
- Billy (lime fish)
- Jennifer Millie
- Jimmy Gus
- Martha Smith
- Norma Rechid
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Vera Fishbowl
- Tina Fran
- Kevin C. Cucumber (leg only)
- Sheep (mentioned)
- Billy (brown fish)
- Chinese Food customer
- Mama Plankton (mentioned)
The episode starts with a crane being lowered, looking as though the load is going to land onto a boat, but instead sinks into Bikini Bottom. SpongeBob and Gary are looking at clouds until they see the box full of fortune cookies before it lands on SpongeBob. Gary realizes that it is not a cloud, and decide to look inside where they find many fortune cookies. SpongeBob tries it with one of them, as does Gary. Before coming to the conclusion that they can indeed accurately predict the future, giving SpongeBob an idea to sell them at the Krusty Krab.
SpongeBob then tries to convince Mr. Krabs to give them away with every purchase but Mr. Krabs shuts down his idea. Squidward backs him up by saying that they are lame and that fortune cookies never come true. SpongeBob tells Squidward to try one, and when he opens it, it reads, "You will be rewarded for your particular talents." Squidward is presumably about to say how that will not happen before he wins the "most miserable cashier in Bikini Bottom" contest. He then gets a cash prize, which gets immediately purloined by Mr. Krabs. Soon after Mr. Krabs snatches Squidward's prize, SpongeBob assures Mr. Krabs about selling his magical cookies, which flips his thoughts about selling them, and decides to share them with the folks of Bikini Bottom.
Plankton finds out that this is happening and says Mr. Krabs is assured he is going to fail. Karen then yells for Plankton, causing him to crash into the Chum Bucket. She then asks if he could take out the trash. But he told Karen he had a plan to make fortunes that say bad things about the Krusty Krab. He then makes the fortunes. As soon as he finishes making fortunes, there was another can full of cookies but he destroyed it. As soon as SpongeBob took the cookies, the customers get fortunes that falsely advertise the Chum Bucket and slander the Krusty Krab.
Later, Plankton creates another fortune that says Mr. Krabs will die unless he gives up the Krabby Patty formula. Mr. Krabs is very shocked to see that. Then Mr. Krabs has a vision of what will happen if he dies. After his thought, SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs agree to give Plankton the formula. Back at the Chum Bucket, Karen is giving the customers some Chumbalaya but even though the customers find it disgusting, they still eat it due to the fake fortunes. Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob both make it to the Chum Bucket to deliver the formula to Plankton. SpongeBob tries to give Plankton the formula but it falls down. After getting smashed and stepped on, Plankton tells everyone to get out of the restaurant because he wrote the fake fortunes. Mr. Krabs grabs the formula and then gives him one fortune cookie. The fortune reads:
- You will go on a long voyage where you will get everything you deserve.
Plankton is then taken to a different restaurant called Chinese Food, where a live-action customer eats him.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Opening.]
‣ Evil Mind 3 - Dick De Benedictis [Crate dropped into ocean.]
‣ Alekoki - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob and Gary watching clouds.]
‣ ? ["Look at that big one! And getting bigger and bigger and..."]
‣ Dramatic Encounter - Gregor Narholz [Crate lands on SpongeBob.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Gary, that was a pretty heavy cloud."]
‣ ? ["Ooh, fortune cookies!"]
‣ Unknown Track 45 - Nicolas Carr [Shot of a fortune cookie.]
‣ Fairies (a) - John Fox, Otto Sieben [SpongeBob and Gary eating fortune cookies.]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to the Krusty Krab.]
‣ Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["No, SpongeBob, we are not handing out anything free with every purchase!"]
‣ Samba in the Sky - Colin Frechter [Squidward wins a cash prize.]
‣ Another Krusty Krab Day - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs takes Squidward's money/"We will share these magical macaroons with all the folks in Bikini Bottom."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (p) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Great."]
‣ Jovial Pirates Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Krabs give out fortune cookies.]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Fish eating hat.]
‣ Grand Pastures [#28] - Harry Bluestone [Fish fall in love.]
‣ Cartoon Sting 9 - Barry Anthony ["You will soon injure your legs?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (c) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Those fortune cookies are a hit."]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede ["Fortune cookies at the Krusty Krab, eh?"]
‣ The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Karen wants Plankton to take out the trash.]
‣ They're Coming! - Trevor Duncan [Plankton making fortune cookies.]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [Plankton brings his cookies to the Krusty Krab.]
‣ Pirate's Opus - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [People buying fortune cookies.]
‣ Four Evil Men (c) - Trevor Duncan [People reading Plankton's fortunes.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (u) - Jeremy Wakefield [Everyone goes to the Chum Bucket.]
‣ Creeping Up 29 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Krabs takes a fortune cookie.]
‣ Evil Wizard OL - Udi Harpaz [Plankton at the door.]
‣ Sailor's Sting 18 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Just how true are these cookie fortunes, SpongeBob?"]
‣ In Loving Memory (a) - Len Ranle [Mr. Krabs funeral.]
‣ The Great White (g) - Gregor Narholz [SpongeBob's arm pops off.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield [Mr. Krabs takes the formula.]
‣ Cartoon Sting 7 - Plankton giving chum to the customers.
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (w) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I promised myself I wouldn't cry."]
‣ Sea Adventure - Sam Spence ["Leave it to me, Mr. Krabs."]
‣ Battle at Sea - Johnny Pearson [SpongeBob "swims" through the crowd.]
‣ Murder Scene 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Here, Plankton. Mr. Krabs wants you to have this."]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton trying to get the formula.]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton admits he wrote the fortunes.]
‣ SpongeBob History Song - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Everyone goes back to the Krusty Krab.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton lands in a Chinese food restaurant.]
- As of June 21, 2019, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.2/10 based on 208 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 9.4/10 based on 7 votes.
- It is revealed that Mr. Krabs values his life more the Krabby Patty secret formula.
- One of Kevin C. Cucumber's legs make a brief appearance in the Chum Bucket when Plankton is trying to get the secret formula bottle.
- The "My leg!" gag is referenced in this episode when Ivy gets a fortune saying "You will soon injure your legs" and a piano crashes down on his legs. He also screams "My leg!" after the piano crashes.
- This is Squidward's 300th appearance in the series.
- This episode premiered in Israel on July 7, 2016 (4 days before the United States).
- This episode premiered in Israel six years after "The Cent of Money" premiered and one year after The Adventures of SpongeBob SquarePants DVD was released in the United Kingdom.
- This episode premiered four years after SpongeBob Comics No. 10 was released.
- This episode was rumored to premiere on May 7, 2016, but it did not premiere on that date. The episode officially premiered in both Israel and the United States 2 months later in July 2016.
- This is the first premiere episode to have the new HD theme song. However, this is not the first episode to show it; the HD version was shown on an "Eek, an Urchin!" rerun on July 9, 2016.
- Unlike the American premiere, the Canadian premiere of this episode did not feature the HD theme song.
- This is the first episode to use a CGI model of the Bikini Atoll island.
- The ships and boxes were also CGI.
- This is Betsy Krabs' first appearance since "Spongicus."
- This is also Grandpa Redbeard's first appearance since "Grandpappy the Pirate."
- This is Grandpa Redbeard's second appearance in the series.
- It is also the second appearance of Mr. Krabs' nephews.
- This is also Grandpa Redbeard's first appearance since "Grandpappy the Pirate."
- This is the second episode in which SpongeBob pressures Squidward into eating something. The first is "Just One Bite."
- This episode marks the second time Plankton is seen on the surface. The first is in The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water.
- This is the second episode where a character ends up in a real life restaurant at the end. The first is "Wishing You Well."
- This is the fifth episode to end with Plankton being eaten. The first is "F.U.N.," the second is "20,000 Patties Under the Sea," the third is "Banned in Bikini Bottom," and the fourth is "Frozen Face-Off."
- This is the fourth episode where Squidward has been referred to as an octopus as he should be. The first is "The Play's the Thing," the second is "Sweet and Sour Squid," and the third is "Patrick! The Game."
- This is the fourth episode where something has been dropped into Bikini Bottom. The first is "Frankendoodle" with the Magic Pencil, the second is "Truth or Square" with the pineapple that SpongeBob lives in, and the third is The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water with the page ripped off the Magic Book that reads "The End."
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Ciastko z wróżbą," which translates to "Fortune Cookie."
- In Greece, the episode premiered a whole year after the US airdate on July 19, 2017. This episode in Greek is called "Τα Τυχερά Μπισκότα," which translates to "The Fortune Cookies."
- An upside down version of the title card background is used in "Plankton Retires."
- The title is a reference to the phrase "fame and fortune" and the 1960 Elvis Presley song of the same name.
- When Plankton states fortune cookies are "hollow, full of lies, and leave a bad taste in your mouth" is taken from the speech the Mandarin gives in Iron Man 3.
- Chumbalaya is a parody of the Creole dish Jambalaya.
- The splat Plankton formed when he was squished is a reference to the old Nickelodeon splat and The Splat logo.
- When SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs enter the Krusty Krab, the doors are missing.
- In the scene right after SpongeBob takes Plankton's fortune cookies, Lenny is shown without his suit on in the wide shot, but in the shot where Squidward asks for a break, Lenny is wearing his suit.
- When SpongeBob reads Gary's fortune, a trail of slime can be seen behind him. However, it is unseen after.
- In one scene, Squidward was at his post at the cash register, but in the next scene, he is at a table.
- Kevin's leg is seen when Plankton is getting squished by Bikini Bottomites, but Kevin himself is not seen.
- ^ a b https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/763011103743848448
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/722199953464950784
- ^ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5659110/
- ^ http://www.tv.com/shows/spongebob-squarepants/lame-and-fortune-3394029/
- ^ List of episodes (foreign)/languages/Hebrew
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/735659494248615937
- ^ List of episodes (foreign)/languages/Greek