LEGO SpongeBob SquarePants was a theme of LEGO building sets based on the Nickelodeon animated series SpongeBob SquarePants that ran from 2006 to 2012. The sets used both new and existing LEGO pieces to recreate the underwater world of the show and its many locations, characters, and objects. In order to have the minifigures look accurate to the series, the theme introduced brand new LEGO piece shapes for characters like SpongeBob, Patrick, Mr. Krabs, Mrs. Puff, Sandy, and Squidward, as well as one for more generic fish characters. Gary was a brick-built figure, Plankton was a single cylindrical brick with a printed face, and Karen was a single blue base plate with a sticker on it. Transparent pink chef's hats were used to represent jellyfish.
The 2007 sets were first announced on January 11, 2007. Heroic Heroes of the Deep (3815) and Glove World (3816) were released in August 2011. The sets were generally aimed at children 5-12 years of age.
|Reference||Name||Image||Piece Count||Released||Minifigure Count||Notes|
|3825||The Krusty Krab||295||2006||4||Features characters SpongeBob, Squidward, Mr. Krabs, and Plankton; also features the restaurant the Krusty Krab.|
|3826||Build-A-Bob||445||2006||2||Features characters SpongeBob and Plankton.|
|3827||Adventures in Bikini Bottom||579||2006||4||Features characters SpongeBob, Squidward, Patrick, and Gary. Also includes some jellyfish. Features SpongeBob's house, Squidward's house, and Patrick's house.|
|4981||The Chum Bucket||337||2007||5||Features characters Plankton, shocked SpongeBob, Karen, Robot SpongeBob, and robot customer. Also features the restaurant the Chum Bucket.|
|4982||Mrs. Puff's Boating School||395||2007||3||Features characters Mrs. Puff, SpongeBob with antenna sticking out of head, and Patrick. Features Mrs. Puff's Boating School building and course.|
|3830||The Bikini Bottom Express||210||2008||3||Features SpongeBob, Patrick, the Bus Driver, a ticket booth, and a bus.|
|3831||Rocket Ride||279||2008||3||Features Sandy, SpongeBob in a spacesuit, Patrick in a spacesuit, jellyfish, Sandy's rocket, and moon buggy.|
|3832||The Emergency Room||236||2008||3||Features bandaged SpongeBob, Patrick, and Dr. Gill Gilliam. Also features the Bikini Bottom Hospital.|
|3833||Krusty Krab Adventures||209||2009||3||Features Patrick (tongue out), Mr. Krabs (teeth smile), and SpongeBob (teeth smile). Includes the Krusty Krab.|
|3834||Good Neighbors at Bikini Bottom||425||2009||4||Features Patrick, Squidward (modified head), SpongeBob (grin), and Gary (green eyes).|
|3815||Heroic Heroes of The Deep||95||2011||3||Features Boatmobile, Patty Canons, SpongeBob (superhero), Patrick (superhero), ray guns, and Plankton flying mech.|
|3816||Glove World||169||2011||4||Features Ice cream stand, Ferris Wheel, SpongeBob (big smile), Patrick (silly) Sandy, and ticket/ice cream vendor.|
|3817||The Flying Dutchman||241||2012||3||Features the Flying Dutchman's ship, island, canon, SpongeBob (pirate), Patrick (pirate), and the Flying Dutchman.|
|3818||Bikini Bottom Undersea Party||471||2012||5||Features SpongeBob's house, Squidward's house, discos, playground stuff (seesaw & merry-go-round), Snack Bar, SpongeBob (red pants), Patrick (DJ), Squidward (long sleeves), Mrs. Puff (smiling), and Gary.|
- Unlike the other characters, Plankton and Karen are not full mini-figures and are instead single pieces with stickers for facial features.
- In Plankton's case, this is due to his small size. In Karen's case, it would mainly be due to her unique shape as a screen in the The Chum Bucket set.
- There are two versions of the Squidward mini-figure, one used in older sets with the regular LEGO head, and one used in the newer sets with a new, molded head.
- The 2006 commercial for the LEGO SpongeBob sets uses a clip from "Snowball Effect."
- Sandy is part of the Glove World LEGO set. However, she has never been shown to go to Glove World before.
- Gary's shell is orange in the set Adventures in Bikini Bottom (3827). His shell was changed to his original pink color in the sets Good Neighbors at Bikini Bottom (3834) and Bikini Bottom Undersea Party (3818).
- SpongeBob is the only mini-figure character that appears in every LEGO set of the series.
- The SpongeBob mini-figure has many different variations and faces in each set.
- These LEGO sets were released over the time span of 6 years before the SpongeBob SquarePants license was picked up by Mega Bloks in 2014.
- Various magnets were released along with the sets. However, they have become very rare and expensive much like the regular sets themselves.
- A promotional SpongeBob DUPLO Brick was released in 2011, that was given out free at a LEGO Store for its SpongeBob SquarePants building event. But unlike the other LEGO SpongeBob sets, it's aimed at 2+.
- A fanmade Krusty Krab set was uploaded to the LEGO Ideas website in 2020, it achieved the 10,000 supporters goal and was reviewed. However, it was not approved by LEGO after the review. You can see the set here.
- 2010 was the only year that no LEGO SpongeBob sets where released before the discontinuation of all SpongeBob LEGO sets in 2013.