Warning! This article contains spoilers of an episode that has recently aired in several countries outside of the United States. Do not continue reading if you wish not to be spoiled.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Pearl Krabs
- Mrs. Puff
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Health Inspector Yellowtail Andy
- HAZMAT Unit
- King Neptune (mentioned)
The episode begins at the Krusty Krab, where Mr. Krabs is greeting Mrs. Puff and Pearl. Meanwhile, Patrick is taking a long time to order something, much to Squidward's annoyance. SpongeBob says "hi" to Mrs. Puff, but Mrs. Puff reminds him that they should pretend not to know each other when they are not at school. SpongeBob delivers two Krabby Patties to Mrs. Puff and Pearl by spitting them out of his eyes. Out of nowhere, the local health inspector appears and declares the Krusty Krab to be a health hazard. He suspects that someone in the restaurant has a case of the "Clam Flu" and puts the restaurant under quarantine, locking everyone inside. This causes everyone except for SpongeBob to run around, screaming and panicking. Patrick then asks what a quarantine actually is, and SpongeBob replies that it is like a "mandatory sleepover." Squidward debunks this, saying that a quarantine eventually makes everyone sick. Plankton comes out of a nearby soda cup, saying that he is abandoning "operation soda-jerk." He escapes via the restaurant's funnel, but is immediately vaporized by a hazmat fish, prompting everyone to stay inside.
Pearl complains, but Mr. Krabs states that back in his navy days, they would isolate the "sicko" and lock them in the freezer so that the others can enjoy their good health. Mrs. Puff asks if they let the sicko out of the freezer once he got better. Mr. Krabs says that they probably let him out eventually, which concerns Mrs. Puff. Mr. Krabs asks if anyone is feeling sick, to which nobody responds, prompting him to use a pair of tongs as a threat. This causes Squidward to freak out and bump into a table, launching pepper in the air and into SpongeBob's nose, causing him to sneeze. Everyone assumes that SpongeBob has the disease, even though he does not. SpongeBob states that he will go into the freezer willingly, despite not feeling sick. He tries to have an emotional speech, but he is cut short when Mr. Krabs slams the door in his face. It is then revealed that SpongeBob is having fun in the freezer, sledding on a mountain of snow and eating ice cream. Everyone is relieved as they think the worst of the quarantine is over. Patrick looks over and notices that SpongeBob has an ice cream cone, making him interested. Patrick pretends to be sick by rubbing relish all over himself. This causes everyone to freak out, and Patrick ends up getting locked in the freezer. SpongeBob and Patrick end up having a snowball fight with ice cream.
Mr. Krabs, Squidward, Mrs. Puff, and Pearl are sitting at a table, paranoid if anyone else has the disease. Squidward itches his arm, and Pearl accuses him of having the Clam Flu. Mr. Krabs throws Squidward in the freezer. Mrs. Puff then yawns, making Mr. Krabs freak out, and he locks her in the freezer as well. Pearl remembers that she still had money leftover from last time she went to the mall. This makes Mr. Krabs think that the flu has poisoned Pearl's mind, and he locks her in the freezer too. In the freezer, everyone is meeting up inside of an igloo, and Squidward finds out that nobody there is actually sick, making Mrs. Puff deduce that Mr. Krabs is the one with the sickness. This makes Pearl cry. Squidward decides that the only option is to break out of the freezer and lock Mr. Krabs inside. Everyone agrees, except for SpongeBob, who is reluctant at first. Squidward convinces him by explaining that he cannot make Krabby Patties if he is locked in the freezer.
Everyone busts out of the freezer, much to Mr. Krabs' surprise. Patrick tries to attack him, but Krabs shrinks himself down and hides under the grill. SpongeBob chases Mr. Krabs under the grill and tries to convince him to go willingly, but Mr. Krabs refuses and goes down a pipe leading to the grease trap. SpongeBob comes out from under the grill, covered in mold and unaware of what to do. Patrick lifts up the grill and shoves Squidward through the pipe, covering him in grease. After seeing Squidward, Mr. Krabs escapes the grease trap and runs into the dining room. Pearl gives chase, but Mr. Krabs gets stuck in her blowhole. Pearl sneezes him out, but he loses his shirt in the processes, causing her blowhole to get plugged up. Patrick corners Mr. Krabs, and they begin to fight. During the fight, Mr. Krabs throws Patrick into the broom closet, covering him in dust. Patrick grabs Mr. Krabs with his tongue and throws him to Mrs. Puff, who catches him in a garbage can. She puffs up, causing trash to fall all over her. Later that night, the health inspector returns to the Krusty Krab. He says that he made a mistake and nobody is actually sick, only to find out that everyone now has a different disease, and Mr. Krabs has a combination of all five diseases. The health inspector panics, yelling that everyone is sick, declaring an "Ultra-Mega Quarantine". A team of Hazmat fish lock the Krusty Krab inside of a box and airlift it over to the Chum Bucket, where it is dropped. Plankton is heard begging everyone to stay away so he does not get sick, only to end up sneezing. He realizes he had the Clam Flu after all as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Drunken Sailor - Nicolas Carr [Title card]
• Cheap and Frozen - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Opening at the Krusty Krab]
• ? [SpongeBob laughs]
‣ Crime Scene - Frederick Charrosin [Health inspector enters the Krusty Krab]
‣ Crime And Danger Sign #2 - Hans Conzelmann, Delle Haensch [Health inspector says someone in the Krusty Krab is infected with the contagious clam flu and puts the restaurant under quarantine]
‣ Desperate Escape - Kenneth Essex [Krabs, Mrs. Puff, Pearl, Squidward and Patrick panic at the Krusty Krab]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Wait, w-what's a-a... a quarter bean?"]
‣ Daisy Chain - Harold Smart ["Sleepover! Sleepover...!"]
• Silly Bob Conversation 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["A quarantine means you're locked in here with a sick person, until we're all sick and miserable."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (D) - Ronald Hanmer [Plankton gets burned]
‣ Destination Unknown - Gregor Narholz [Plankton was burnt by a robot]
‣ Dramatic Cue (E) - Ronald Hanmer [Plankton moans in ashes]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 3A - Jeremy Wakefield ["But I have to cheer at the big game tomorrow!"]
• Pirate's Opus - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs explains what he used to do with a sick person at the old navy days]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr ["You let them out of the freezer once they were better. Right?"]
• Humorous Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Uh? I suppose someone let 'em out, eventually."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (E) - Ronald Hanmer [Squidward gets nervous]
‣ Dramatic Cue (H) - Ronald Hanmer [Squidward, Patrick, Mrs. Puff, Pearl and Krabs think SpongeBob is the sick person]
‣ Theme For Two Lovers - Kenny Salmon ["I'll go. I feel fine, but... I don't wanna risk infecting my friends."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 1E - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward screams hysterically and sprays his mouth with a spray sanitizer]
‣ Theme For Two Lovers - Kenny Salmon ["All I ask is that you remember me and who I was, full of live..."]
‣ Six Powerful Cues (B) - Wilfred Burns [SpongeBob screaming from inside the freezer]
‣ Jingle Bells B - Sammy Burdson, John Fiddy [SpongeBob skating inside the freezer]
• Drunken Sailor Solo Accordion-2 - Nicolas Carr ["Well, problem solved! Now let's seat back and wait for the old clear."]
‣ Alone And Lost - Norman Dane [Patrick sees SpongeBob eating ice cream inside the freezer]
‣ Dramatic Episode 1 - Kurt Rehfeld [Patrick pretends to have the clam flu to reunite with SpongeBob in the freezer]
‣ Jingle Bells B - Sammy Burdson, John Fiddy [SpongeBob and Patrick having an ice cream fight inside the freezer]
‣ Unease - Dick Walter ["Ah... We'll just have to be more vigilant now, anyone could be a carrier."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (B) - Ronald Hanmer [Pearl and Krabs think Squidward is a carrier of the clam flu and ends up in the freezer]
‣ Misty Menace - Max Saunders [Mrs. Puff yawns]
‣ Terror - Alan Braden [Krabs launches Mrs. Puff into the freezer]
‣ Hippomania - John Fox, Mac Prindy ["At least we know we're saved now, me baby beluga?"]
‣ Finger Of Fear - Fredric Bayco [Krabs throws Pearl into the freezer]
‣ Jingle Bells B - Sammy Burdson, John Fiddy [Igloo inside the freezer]
• The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Nobody in this freezer is actually sick?"]
‣ The Killing Ground (A) - Richard Harvey ["Well, if no one's sick in here, then the sick person must be..."]
‣ Misty Menace - Max Saunders ["I say we must out of here, grab Krabs and lock him away!"]
‣ Hot Fuzz 05 112 C - Steve Sechi/Big Fish Audio [SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, Mrs. Puff, and Pearl escape from the freezer]
‣ Paroxysms I - Trevor Duncan ["You psychos are supposed to be in the freezer!"]
• Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob chases Krabs under the grill so he can get him into the freezer]
‣ Rescue - Cecil Milner ["He's in the grease trap!"]
• Slide Whistle Stooges - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick tries to get Squidward into the grease trap]
‣ Rescue - Cecil Milner [Squidward spits grease to Krabs at the grease trap]
• Slide Whistle Stooges - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Pearl, Patrick, and Mrs. Puff trying to catch Krabs to lock him into the freezer]
‣ Trap Door - David Lindup [That night]
‣ Scorched Earth - Trevor Duncan [Everyone is sick for real]
‣ Destination Unknown - Gregor Narholz [The Krusty Krab gets put on "ultra mega" quarantine]
• Drunken Sailor - Nicolas Carr [Ending]
- This episode was originally going to be titled "The Kwarantined Krab."
- The title card background is similar to those of "Krusty Love", the "4 to 6 Weeks Later" time card from "Hocus Pocus", the "One Week Later..." time card from "Krabby Road", "Nautical Novice", "Pat No Pay", "Mr. Krabs Takes a Vacation", the "Many Hours Later..." time card from "The Curse of the Hex", and "The Krusty Bucket", except this one is blue and is in widescreen.
- This will be the third season 12 episode to premiere in the United States a year or longer after its sister episode premiered, after "Pineapple RV" and "My Two Krabses".
- This will also be the sixth episode to premiere a year or longer after its sister episode premiered. The first three that were not part of season 12 are "Gary Takes a Bath," "Goo Goo Gas," and "Yeti Krabs."
- This is the only season 12 episode not featured on The Complete Twelfth Season DVD, due to its plot unintentionally being similar to the COVID-19 pandemic. A Nickelodeon representative later told the IGN website on March 27, 2021 that it decided not to air this episode in the United States or other territories where it has not yet aired over "sensitivities surrounding the global, real-world pandemic." Vincent Waller on Twitter has stated that the episode is not permanently shelved but is on hold until the pandemic is no longer a concern.
- This is the second medical-related episode of season 12. The first is "Hiccup Plague."
- This is the second appearance of the Health Inspector in season 12. The first is "Plankton's Old Chum."
- The final frame from this episode was revealed by mistake at the end of the premiere of "Who R Zoo?" in the UK and Ireland airing.
- List of diseases everyone caught by the end of the episode, and how they caught them:
- Squidward: Grease Gout: Getting covered in the grease in the grease trap in an attempt to apprehend Mr. Krabs.
- SpongeBob: Moldy Measles: Following Mr. Krabs under the grill, getting covered in the grime present.
- Mrs. Puff: Trash Trichinosis: Getting covered in the trash and the trash can itself she used to briefly capture Mr. Krabs.
- Patrick: Dust Bunny Bronchitis: Getting smashed into the broom closet, getting covered in dust in the process.
- Pearl: Polyester Plague: Getting Mr. Krabs' shirt caught in her blowhole.
- Mr. Krabs: "The Whole Shebang": Retreating under the grill, getting covered in the grime present, getting into the grease trap and getting covered in its grease, getting his shirt caught in Pearl's blowhole, getting yanked into the broom closet by Patrick, getting thrown into a trash can full of trash.
- In the French dub, this episode is called "Le Crabe en Quarantaine," which translates to "The Crab in Quarantine."
- In the European Portuguese dub, this episode is called "Restaurante de Quarentena," which translates to "Quarantined Restaurant."
- A clip from this episode was released in a promo that aired on Nickelodeon Australia & New Zealand on February 24, 2020.
- A clip from this episode was revealed in the video "Top 5 Moments: Patrick," released on Mundonick.com in Brazil on March 5, 2020, and in Mexico on March 9, 2020.
- A clip from this episode was released in "Top 5 Funniest Moments from New Episodes" video on the official Nick Poland account on November 22, 2020, Russia and Asia on November 24, Hungary on November 29, and Turkey on December 20.
- A clip from this episode was used in a video called "SpongeBob's Scariest Sea Monsters 😈👻🍍" uploaded by the SpongeBob SquarePants Official YouTube channel on October 16, 2021.
- In one frame, Mr. Krabs' blue shirt is missing and only its sleeves are visible.
- During one frame where Mrs. Puff catches Mr. Krabs in a garbage can, the latter's teeth color turns transparent.
- In real life, it would impossible to immedietely become diseased within a few hours, like what happened with everyone in the Krusty Krab. Sickness normally occurs within 2-4 days after being exposed, and can be contracted with bedrest, medicine and fluids.
- ^ Date confirmed according to Apple TV
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1424168747653165058
- ^ Google archive of the episode page is from this date.
- ^ https://tv24.se/kanal/paramount-network/2020-09-23
- ^ https://web.archive.org/web/20210203222954/https://www.telsu.fi/paavo-pesusieni/5
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1142706996044587008
- ^ https://twitter.com/MancieRaines/status/1336801846996815873
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1351562478585450496
- ^ https://www.twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1336460910144102400
- ^ https://www.ign.com/articles/spongebob-squarepants-episodes-pulled-over-storyline-concerns
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1375810911248687110
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1375812924690735104
- ^ https://mega.nz/file/wXpxEZxS#PNQSQhA3mxErOKSIZsC-zyULjpw2fjBc9Gi8K7tZGQg
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDMgtChcWAM
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnQ26V_iBF0
- ^ https://www.facebook.com/nickelodeonpolska/videos/679707496067666/
- ^ https://www.facebook.com/NickelodeonRussia/videos/119873583122539/
- ^ https://www.facebook.com/nickasia/videos/392007905316453/
- ^ https://www.facebook.com/NickelodeonHungary/videos/3961008360594251/
- ^ https://www.facebook.com/nickelodeonturkey/videos/196510002138774/
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U_CEYEnZbM&t=333s