- French Narrator
- Squidward Tentacles
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 102
- Incidental 103
- Incidental 150
- Incidental 153
- Incidental 152
- Incidental 151
- Old Man Walker
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Santa Claus (mentioned)
- Jack Frost (mentioned)
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 104
- Incidental 48
- Karen Plankton
- Bikini Bottom Hockey Team (debut)
- Patrick Star
- Gary the Snail
- Mrs. Puff (storyboard and deleted scene)
- Incidental 64
The episode starts off with the freezing weather in Bikini Bottom. Mr. Krabs' frugality has prevented him from adjusting the Krusty Krab's thermostat to any temperature besides 62º F. When Squidward tries to turn up the heat just one degree, an alarm goes off and Mr. Krabs berates him, allowing Plankton to get an idea to freeze his competition out of business. Having hidden in an old man's drink, Plankton is swallowed alive, and has to wait until the old man accidentally stays in the bathroom long enough to be locked into the restaurant overnight. Then Plankton lets a faucet run, opens a freezer, and turns the thermostat to sub-freezing temperatures
The next morning, Squidward complains even more than he already was, but Mr. Krabs does not allow him to turn up the thermostat because he is somehow fooled by the taped scrap of paper that says "62 º" that Plankton placed over the actual temperature display. Squidward notes that there are even icicles on the ceiling and the customers start to leave due to SpongeBob and Squidward slipping on the entirely ice-covered floor with their food. Plankton sees the customers leaving and rejoices. He then puts up a sign saying that the Chum Bucket is warm and speaks to a fish walking by, who is frightened by Plankton's eye looking through the huge telescope. Plankton is angry when he then sees the customers go back into the Krusty Krab with winter wear. Mr. Krabs has turned the restaurant into an ice rink complete with a Clamboni ride for children. SpongeBob has invented Patty Skates to help him, Squidward, and the customers keep their balance. The customers even prefer cold Krabby Patties, making Mr. Krabs very happy to sell Krabby Patties without even needing to cook them, claiming that he has made even more money than with the old Krusty Krab.
Plankton sees Mr. Krabs with his money and is furious. Karen advises Plankton to swipe a Krabby Patty and he attempts to steal one. However, SpongeBob and the local hockey team (who were actually trying to take the puck SpongeBob took by mistake) block the door after Plankton tries to run them over after highjacking the Clamboni, but he squashes them between the door. Plankton then goes over to the thermostat and reveals the true temperature, infuriating Mr. Krabs, who finally realizes Squidward was right about the temperature and attempts to attack Plankton for his actions. However, Plankton begins freezing and boiling the patrons by repeatedly turning the dial in both directions. He then falls off the dial, allowing Mr. Krabs to freeze him. Later, in the following summertime, Mr. Krabs turns the whole Krusty Krab into a popular public swimming pool, relaxing on a floating chair, while he thanks Plankton (trapped in an ice cube) for his ideas, and sips lemonade with Plankton as the ice in the drink, resulting in Plankton screaming and ending the episode after that.
- The thermostat getting touched.
- Mr. Krabs getting angry when someone touches the thermostat.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Tripping Upstairs - Brian Peters [title card]
‣ The Rake Hornpipe - Robert Alexander White [opening]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [62 degrees]
‣ Dramatic Cue (b) - Ronald Hanmer ["WHO TOUCHED ME THERMOSTAT!?"]
• Steel Licks 4 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, thanks a..."]
‣ Keel Row - Brian Peters [Krabs tells Squidward not to touch the thermostat]
‣ Off to Play - David Snell [kids playing in Krabs' yard]
‣ Like Strange - Kenny Graham ["That's right, run, Krabs."]
‣ Abject Terror - Paul Lewis [Plankton gets eaten]
‣ Towerstreet 17 [#33] - Gerhard Narholz ["No matter, in four to six hours, I will have my revenge."]
• Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [old man exits bathroom]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede [Plankton freezes the Krusty Krab]
• Steel Licks 11 - Jeremy Wakefield [mittens on SpongeBob's eyelashes]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr ["Huh?"]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [Krabs opens the Krusty Krab]
‣ Captain Lenoe's - The Folk Players ["Quit clowning around and get to work!"]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney ["The temperature stays at 62 degrees."]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Don't touch..."]
‣ Dramatic Impact 2 - Ivor Slaney ["...the thermostat!"]
‣ Drama Link (a) - Hubert Clifford [Plankton spying]
‣ The Dreadnought Tea Clipper (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White [customers complaining]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [customers leave...]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [...then come back]
‣ Tripping Upstairs - Brian Peters [SpongeBob skating]
‣ A Christmas Fantasy (a) - Ron Goodwin [everyone buying frozen patties]
‣ Like Strange - Kenny Graham ["No! How is this possible?!"]
• Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["That's because unlike you, he's a good businessman."]
‣ Jolly Sleighride - Ib Glindemann [Krusty Krab turned into ice rink]
• Vox Charge - Nicolas Carr [hockey team practicing]
‣ Drama Link (b) - Hubert Clifford [Plankton tries to steal a patty]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob stops him]
• The Pollywog Strut - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Hey, SpongeBob, long time no see!"]
• Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [hockey team chases Plankton]
‣ Death of the Alien 1 [#38] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["The clamboni!"]
‣ Skaters Waltz - Emile Charles Waldteufel, George Wilson [Squidward skating]
‣ Death of the Alien 1 [#38] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [everyone blocking the exit]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [clamboni breaks down]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["You lose again, Plankton!"]
‣ Death of the Alien 1 [#38] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["The thermostat!"]
• Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton changing the temperature]
‣ Sunny Samoa - George de Fretes, Jan Rap [swimming pool]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [ending]
- This episode is available on the Bikini Bottom Adventures, Season 5 Volume 1, Bundled Up in Bikini Bottom, First 100 Episodes, 2-Movies-Edition, The Underwater Stories, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 7, Complete Fifth Season, SpongeBob Adventures Pack, From the Beginning, Part 2, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, The Best of Bikini Bottom, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- This episode was available on the Bikini Bottom Adventures DVD, released on June 5, 2007, a month and a half before it aired on American television.
- The original storyboard for this episode featured Mrs. Puff as the hockey goalie. When the puck hits her, she puffs up to deflect it. This scene is still featured in the book and comic adaptations of the episode.
- This episode's title is French for "Krabs with Ice Cream" or "Trendy Krabs."
- The title is also a play on "Pie à la Mode."
- The name of the episode "Enemies à la Mode" from The Patrick Star Show is also similar to this episode's title.
- When Squidward says, "Thanks a lot..." against SpongeBob because he gets into trouble with Mr. Krabs, SpongeBob happily replies "You're welcome." This is similar to a scene in "New Student Starfish" where SpongeBob, who gets into trouble with Mrs. Puff, does the same thing against Patrick.
- After coming out of the bathroom, Old Man Walker says he is "locked in again," which implies that he has been locked in the Krusty Krab before.
- It seems that the thermostat also affects areas outside the Krusty Krab.
- Mr. Krabs apparently does not notice that the thermostat is not really 62° and that the false temperature is written on a piece of paper taped to the thermostat. After Plankton pointed it out, he was angry at not noticing sooner.
- The false temperature is also written in regular, curvy font, whereas the thermostat is digitally programmed.
- This is the first episode to contain a diacritic in its title, with the second being "Séance Schméance."
- This was the first episode to be written by Eric Shaw.
- This is the second episode where Plankton has hidden inside something on Old Man Walker's tray. The first is "The Algae's Always Greener," where he hides inside his ketchup bottle.
- "Like Strange" also plays in both incidents.
- This episode marks the second instance of a pool opening up at the Krusty Krab, after "The Endless Summer."
- This is the last episode to play the APM track "Sunny Samoa."
- The title is French for "Krabs with Ice Cream," which is also a pun on the food "pie à la mode," which is French for "Pie with ice cream."
- Plankton sarcastically refers to Karen as "the wind beneath my wings." This is a reference to the 1982 song of the same name.
- The Clamboni references the Zamboni.
- When everyone points at Squidward for changing the thermostat, the Galley Grub is misspelled as "Galley Grus."
- In several shots of the thermostat, the "Do not touch thermostat ever" sign cannot be seen. It appears only when Mr. Krabs mentions it.
- The alarm over the thermostat also disappears after just one shot of it.
- When Mr. Krabs turns the thermostat back to 62° at the beginning of the episode, he turns it the wrong way. He turns it to the right which is to increase the temperature, not left to decrease the temperature.
- When the episode begins, it is shown that it was snowing outside, but in the scene where the kids are playing in Mr. Krabs' yard, there's no snow or any signs of cold weather.
- There's one shot with the frozen cash register, but in other scenes, the cash register is not frozen.
- When one of the Krabby Patties lands on Squidward, there is lettuce. In the next shot, the lettuce is gone.
- SpongeBob's Krusty Krab employee hat is missing when customers want patty skates, but it is back on when he delivers them.
- When SpongeBob starts giving people patty skates, he gives them uncooked burgers, not frozen patties.
- At one point, when Plankton is driving the Clamboni, Incidental 103 and Incidental 153 do not have legs and Incidental 41 does not have lower legs.
- When SpongeBob gets hit with the Clamboni, he is closest to the front of the Clamboni when everybody else gets ran over. However, when Plankton is trying to get out the door, SpongeBob is in the very front of the bunch of people closest to the door.
- Plankton shouldn't have been able to change the temperature of the thermostat again because the dial was frozen.
- Also, the ice on the thermostat disappears after Plankton removes the paper on the thermostat.
- When Plankton is freezing and unfreezing people, the water is waist-high, but when he falls off, and Mr. Krabs freezes him, the water is only an inch high.
- When Plankton falls in the water, Mr. Krabs freezes him using the thermostat. Mr. Krabs and every other person at the Krusty Krab should have been frozen too, since they were also in the water.
- Mr. Krabs most likely jumps to prevent getting frozen or they are most likely able to get outside help.
- The clock of the Krusty Krab is not frozen, while the other objects are.