The Krabby Patty secret formula is the recipe for the highly popular Krabby Patty burger sold by the famous Bikini Bottom restaurant, the Krusty Krab. There are many variations of the Krabby Patty, but all have one secret ingredient, which is yet to be identified or revealed. It first was mentioned in "Plankton!" and made its first physical appearance in "Imitation Krabs."
Throughout the series, Plankton commonly tries to steal the formula in order to improve the popularity of the Chum Bucket and run Krabs out of business, however, he fails every single time, except in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
The Krabby Patty secret formula is written in ink on a paper and kept in a transparent light blue glass bottle with a cork on top to keep its opening secure. The Krabby Patty secret formula is kept only for those who are loyal enough to hide it from evildoers such as Plankton.
- Eugene H. Krabs (the original Krabby Patty)
- SpongeBob SquarePants (Jelly Patty and Pretty Patties)
- Carl (Synthetic Krabby Patty)
- Sheldon J. Plankton (Chum Patties and partially the original Krabby Patty)
For the full ingredients of a Krabby Patty, see here.
The Krabby Patty contains both the top bun and the bottom bun, with the top bun containing sesame seeds. It also contains sea cheese, sea lettuce, sea tomatoes, pickles, ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, and sea onions, all of which can be seen when a Krabby Patty is being made. As well as all of those ingredients are the patty and secret sauce, both of which have unknown ingredients, particularly the patty.
It is revealed that in "Friend or Foe," a pinch of chum is present in this formula. In "The Great Patty Caper," some other ingredients are revealed: flour, barnacle shavings, salt, and turmeric. Another confirmed ingredient is love, which is revealed in the episodes "Plankton's Army" and "Growth Spout," and The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water.
The patty and the other secret ingredients are of the most point of interest. Since there is no mention of where the patty might have come from nor was there very little mention of the ingredients of the patty, said ingredients and other secret ingredients of the Krabby Patty remain a mystery. However, the secret ingredient has a major role in "Patty Caper." There are however, rumors among fans that the secret patty ingredient is artificial crab meat.
Role in series
A running gag throughout the series is Plankton's many attempts to obtain the Krabby Patty formula as a means to attract customers to his restaurant, the Chum Bucket, usually through disguise and deceit. All of the said attempts have failed, Not even suing Mr. Krabs or using technology will work too. usually ending with Mr. Krabs throwing him back to the Chum Bucket or snatching the bottle out of his hands.
The secret formula plays an essential role in the plot lines for the two movie adaptations of the series. In them, Plankton devises numerous ways to steal the formula as he does in many episodes in the series. In the second movie, it is Burger Beard who attempts and succeeds to steal the secret formula in order to set up his own fast-food restaurant on land.
- In "Krabby Road," the Krabby Patty secret formula can be seen with the ingredients being shown as random gibberish. It was revealed by Vincent Waller on Twitter, and said in a tweet that the ingredients were listed as gibberish so the audience would not know the true ingredients. He also said that there was no meat whatsoever in a Krabby Patty.
- However in "Friend or Foe", it was shown that a pinch of chum is part of the Krabby Patty recipe, which is itself made from chopped meat and organs.
- Karen actually got the formula in "Single Cell Anniversary." However, Plankton never got to see it because Karen exploded before he could.
- In "Spy Buddies," the formula was revealed to be "(x-2)+1."
- According to the events of “Friend or Foe” The Secret Krabby Patty formula is supposed to be ripped.
- Despite being a major plot element of the series, it is only mentioned in season 1 and season 3. It also only physically appears once in season 2 and season 4.
- Its absence in season 1 is justified as it had yet to debut in physical form.