"Kenny the Cat" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season nine. In this episode, SpongeBob looks up to a new celebrity: Kenny the Cat, a cat who can hold his breath for an incredible amount of time.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Kenny the Cat (debut)
- Sandy Cheeks
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Patrick Star
- Squidward Tentacles (cameo)
- Bikini Bottomites
- Nat Peterson
- Blue Fred
- Norma Rechid
- Monroe Timmy
- Isabelle Fish
- Officer John Slugfish
- Abigail Marge
- Billy (lime fish)
- Debbie Rechid
- Nathiel Waters
- Old Man Jenkins
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Don the Whale
- Tina Fran
- Jennifer Millie
- Announcer (debut)
SpongeBob is excited because his brand new hero, Kenny the Cat, is coming to town. Kenny is a cat who can hold his breath underwater for an extremely long time. Mr. Krabs doesn't care at first until he sees how famous Kenny is and becomes excited about Kenny's visit to Bikini Bottom too, so he decides to have Kenny appear at the Krusty Krab and give him the manager's treatment. SpongeBob goes to Sandy's treedome, where he unsuccessfully imitates Kenny before he tells Sandy the news about Kenny coming to town, but Sandy thinks Kenny is a fraud because no land mammal can hold their breath for an extended period of time while SpongeBob calls her jealous.
That night, SpongeBob and Patrick camp outside to see Kenny. They look at the stars shortly afterwards SpongeBob paints his and Patrick's face to look like Kenny, which disturbs Patrick. He shows Patrick other objects he brought along to idol his idol. Patrick then gets creeped out by the amount of idol worship and quickly leaves.
The next day, Kenny the Cat finally arrives and starts giving out autographs. SpongeBob asks Kenny to autograph his custom Kenny spatula. He then invites him to the Krusty Krab. Kenny arrives at the Krusty Krab and Mr. Krabs gives him free ketchup packets and an all-you-can-eat buffet in his honor. He begins to struggle, as he needs to take a breath. He draws a toilet and runs to the restroom. In the bathroom, Kenny takes an oxygen tank out from behind his back and uses it to breathe. SpongeBob (who wanted an autograph) sees this and realizes that Kenny is a fraud after all. Kenny begs SpongeBob not to reveal his secret because he just wants to be special and SpongeBob agrees.
When everyone is admiring Kenny and basking in his glorious fame, Sandy shows up and asks him some questions to expose Kenny. After she started talking about what happens to mammals who go without air for a long time, Kenny gives in from pressure and takes out his oxygen tank and reveals himself. This causes everyone to turn against Kenny and Mr. Krabs takes back the ketchup packs.
However, SpongeBob decides to help Kenny by giving him a suit and helmet. He decides that Kenny should become a famous cat who likes water. Kenny thanks SpongeBob for helping him, as Sandy arrives and launches the smiling Kenny back home to the surface. Sandy mentions that you can never trust a cat, but gets confused, saying, "Or is it a dog?" and the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Twelfth Street Rag - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Daily Chores Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [opening]
‣ Curtain-Raiser - Alan Braden [SpongeBob points to Kenny the Cat poster]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What in clams name is 'the cat?'"]
‣ Banners Victorious - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob describes Kenny's accomplishments]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney [Mr. Krabs gasps]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Say, kiddo..."]
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob enter at Sandy's House]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob dried up]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["You're kinda like a cat, aren't you?"]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [transition]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hopeless."]
‣ Drama Link (f) - Hubert Clifford [Patrick shocked]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick eats a taco]
‣ Harps and Bells - Nicolas Carr [gazing into the stars]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Hey, that reminds me!"]
‣ Cartoon Sting 1 - "Let's paint our faces to look like Kenny!"
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [The next morning]
‣ Gala Premiere - Laurie Johnson [Kenny finally arrives at Bikini Bottom]
‣ Jovial Pirates Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Kenny goes to the bathroom]
‣ Horror Crash - Harry Lubin [SpongeBob sees Kenny using an oxygen tank]
‣ Melodrama 29 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["How could you, Kenny?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I can't believe I fell for such a PHONY!"]
‣ Saltwater Works - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["SpongeBob, please let me explain!"]
‣ Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Really?!"]
‣ Jovial Pirates Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Kenny back at Krusty Krab]
‣ Proud to be a Fish - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [fish holding their breath]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (m) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob reads Kenny's note]
‣ Cartoon Sting 7 - Sandy enters
‣ Agitation Bridge 5 - Phil Green ["I need oxygen!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (t) - Jeremy Wakefield [customers leaving out]
‣ Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- As of September 27, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.2/10 based on 97 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 6.9/10 based on 22 votes.
- This episode premiered in Greece on July 2, 2013, before it aired in the United States.
- This episode premiered in Germany on March 6, 2015, nearly a year after it aired in the USA.
- The Krusty Krab television appears again in this episode. However, this time it's a high-definition TV instead of usual standard-definition TV.
- Sandy re-hydrates SpongeBob using a hose, similar to how she uses one to re-hydrate both Patrick and SpongeBob in "Tea at the Treedome."
- The "Please Wash Your Fins" sign from the "Krusty Krab Training Video" can briefly be seen in the bathroom at the Krusty Krab.
- When SpongeBob finds out about Kenny being a fraud, he looks at the screen and speaks directly to the viewers stating what was on his mind about seeking help about it. The fourth wall is broken here.
- SpongeBob's Kenny the Cat Fan Club membership card looks similar to his driver's license photo in "Gone."
- Biz Markie guest starred as Kenny the Cat.
- This marks the first usage of the APM track Twelfth Street Rag for a title card since the season 2 episode "Artist Unknown."
- This is the first episode where SpongeBob refers to Sandy as "Sandra."
- However, this is not the first episode where she is referred to as "Sandra." The first is "Patrick SmartPants" by Patrick.
- This episode marks Kenny the Cat as the first character on the show to refer to SpongeBob as "Bob."
- This is the first episode since "To Save a Squirrel" where Sandy is the main antagonist.
- This is the fifth time SpongeBob dehydrates in the treedome due to his suffocation without the helmet. The others are "Tea at the Treedome," "Squirrel Jokes," "Yours, Mine and Mine," and "House Sittin' for Sandy."
- This was the last episode to air before The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water was released in North America.
- This was the last episode to premiere in 2014 and the earliest episode to end the year on.
- At the end of the original airing, when this episode aired in the U.S., the end credits weren't shown. Instead, the last shot cuts to the start of the live coverage of the 2014 Kids' Choice Awards.
- This episode premiered on the same day as the 2014 Kids' Choice Awards.
- This is the eighth episode to premiere on the same day as the Kids' Choice Awards. The first was "Help Wanted"/"Reef Blower"/"Tea at the Treedome" in 1999, the second was "Krabby Land"/"The Camping Episode" in 2004, the third was "Krusty Towers"/"Mrs. Puff, You're Fired" in 2006, the fourth was "Born to Be Wild"/"Best Frenemies" in 2007, the fifth was "Nautical Novice"/"Spongicus" in 2008, the sixth was "Sentimental Sponge" in 2011, and the seventh was "Are You Happy Now?"/"Planet of the Jellyfish" in 2012.
- This episode premiered on Amy Sedaris' 53rd birthday, 12 years after "Krab Borg" and "Rock-a-Bye Bivalve" premiered, eight years after "Dunces and Dragons" premiered in Asia, six years after "Nautical Novice" and "Spongicus" premiered, three years after The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie Blu-ray was released, one year after "Sweet and Sour Squid" and "The Googly Artiste" premiered in Greece and one year before "Yeti Krabs" premiered.
- This episode premiered in Canada six years after "Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful" and "A Pal for Gary" premiered in Canada, four years after "Frozen Face-Off" premiered in Poland, two years after SpongeBob and Friends: Patrick SquarePants was released and one year after SpongeBob Comics No. 40 was released.
- The name "Kenny" may be a reference to the surname of Tom Kenny, SpongeBob's voice actor.
- Kenny's appearance is similar to that of Tom from Tom and Jerry. In addition, his appearance is similar to that of the cartoon version of Salem Saberhagen from Sabrina the Teenage Witch.
- Ironically, combining Tom and Kenny gives one Tom Kenny.
- The sign in the bathroom written in English ("Please, wash your fins") and Spanish ("Lave las aletas") is a parody of other similar signs found in public retail stores. The Spanish part of the sign is not a totally correct translation because it literally reads "Wash the fins." The correct Spanish translation of "Please, wash your fins" is actually "Por favor, lávese las aletas."
- The way Sandy thinks Kenny is a fraud (and is) could be a reference to celebrities in real life and how people think about them.
- SpongeBob manages to turn blue and lose consciousness for a short amount of time by holding his breath, however, it is not possible to knock yourself unconscious by holding your breath, as it is a reflex to automatically let yourself breathe again.
- Right before SpongeBob face-paints Patrick, the latter is still seen wearing his green Kenny the Cat "A-Ok" hat. When SpongeBob face-paints Patrick, his hat suddenly disappears even though he is never shown taking it off.
- Patrick's sleeping bag disappears right after he leaves, even though it is shown earlier.
- Kenny's nails turn white when he says "Have mercy!" even though they are supposed to be gray.
- Despite the fact Kenny needs an oxygen tank, he is able to talk after using it, which doesn't make any sense, because he would have drowned, but does not.
- When Kenny breaths through his oxygen mask in front of his fans, the Chum Bucket across the street from the Krusty Krab is nowhere to be seen through the front windows.
- When everyone finds out that Kenny is a fraud, the fish walks away and a male voice saying "Liar!" can be heard, but a female fish is the one opening her mouth for the word instead of a male one.
- Kenny is a cat, so he should've been a lot larger than the fishes and Sandy.