- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Karen Plankton
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Chip I (debut)
- Chip Plankton II (debut)
- Eugene H. Krabs (cameo)
- French Narrator
- Stork drone (debut)
- Machine #1 (debut)
- Machine #2 (debut)
- Machine #3 (debut)
- Machine #4 (debut)
- Weird machine (debut)
- Incidental 25 (cameo)
- Incidental 104 (cameo)
- Incidental 42 (cameo)
- Incidental 65 (cameo)
- Incidental 106 (cameo)
- Chum Bucket glove (as a living character)
- Ryan Timmy
The episode begins with Karen anxiously waiting for her baby to arrive. Plankton, who doesn't want the baby, tries to prevent the baby from being delivered, but the drone delivering the baby stops him. Karen starts taking care of her new baby and calls her Chip, much to the dismay of Plankton. SpongeBob comes along to greet the baby and give compressed air as a present. Later, the baby grows feet and starts walking, causing the baby to upgrade and grows up to be a walking calculator.
Karen brings Chip to the arcade to have fun, but when he ends up encountering dangerous courses in the arcade games, he asks Chip to get out. When he gets out, he's turning into a teenager and curses at his Mom for preventing him from playing the game. Karen gets offended by this and tells Plankton he needs to talk to his son. While talking with Chip, Plankton thinks Karen doesn't get Chip as he was beating the game very easily. He tells Chip that he should run away, so Chip gets out of the Chum Bucket out into the Bikini Bottom streets.
Karen gets angry at Plankton for telling Chip to run away, and tells him he needs to bring him back or else he's not allowed in the Chum Bucket. Meanwhile, Chip meets a robot gang and wants to join it. However, it turns out they want to take Chip's parts, which frightens him and causes him to try and escape the gang. Plankton sees that Chip is getting hurt by these robots and attempts to fight them. Chip breaks free from the magnet he got attached to and saves Plankton by using an ice cream machine to defeat the robot gang.
The two go back to the Chum Bucket, with Plankton bragging to Karen about how Chip said his name before he said her name. At the same time, Chip upgrades again and has to go to college. Eight semesters later, Chip is shown working as an ATM machine at the First Nautical Bank, playing a trick on Mr. Krabs by not letting him get the money he earned.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Apples and Pears - Bruce Campbell [Karen pacing around the Chum Bucket nervously]
‣ Uh Oh Flutter-Eyed - [ProjectSAM Symphobia Colours: Animator] ["A baby?! I don't want a baby!"]
• A Simple Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["It's too late to stop it now. It's been nine months and the baby is no longer on back order."]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 3 - Fredric Bayco [Drone stork arrives at the Chum Bucket with Karen's baby]
‣ Fairy Coach - Ernest Tomlinson ["My baby's here!"]
‣ Comical Clowns - Ronald Hanmer [Plankton tries to stop the baby from being delivered to the Chum Bucket]
‣ Little Garden - Johnny Hawksworth [Karen's baby is revealed]
• Fooling Around 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Karen names her baby Chip]
• What's This Sting - Nicolas Carr ["I don't get it."]
‣ Lullaby Box - Leo Nissim [Chip is asleep]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob arrives at the Chum Bucket with a present for Chip]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to next scene]
‣ Whimsey - Arthur Wilkinson [Chip starts walking]
• Disco Feverish - Nicolas Carr [Plankton walking around the Chum Bucket]
‣ Whimsey - Arthur Wilkinson [Chip continues walking]
‣ ? ["Upgrade" appears on Chip's screen]
‣ Fairies A - John Fox, Otto Sieben [Chip upgrades and becomes a little walking calculator]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 3 - Fredric Bayco [Plankton slips on some sheet of paper]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 4 - Fredric Bayco [Plankton falls into a trash can full of Chip's dirty diapers]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 3 - Fredric Bayco [Plankton coughs from inside the trash can]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["This stinks!"]
‣ Domestic Fun (a) - Ernest Tomlinson [Karen takes Chip to the arcade to make some friends]
‣ Fight for Your Life! - Gregor Narholz [Chip gets inside a videogame and plays on it]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (l) - Jeremy Wakefield [Chip upgrades and becomes a teenager]
‣ Domestic Fun (b) - Ernest Tomlinson ["So you think you can do whatever you want because you're a teenager now?"]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 4 - Fredric Bayco [Karen tells Plankton what happened in the arcade with Chip/Karen growls angrily/"Just talk to your son! I need to cool my circuits."]
‣ Gamineries - Achille Alberto Scotti [Plankton tells Chip to run away, which the latter does]
‣ Happy Links 1-5 - Paul Fenoulhet [Karen asks Plankton where Chip is]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 4 - Fredric Bayco ["Why would my baby run away?"]
‣ Horror-Scope - Ronald Hanmer [Karen gets very angry at Plankton and orders him to bring back Chip to the Chum Bucket]
‣ Dramatic Episode 2 - Kurt Rehfeld [Plankton searching for Chip around Bikini Bottom driving a tank]
‣ This Space for Hire - Sam Fonteyn [A robot befriends Chip and shows him his buddies]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["If you want to be part of us, we're gonna need your parts."]
‣ The Escape - John Scott [Chip sees a robot being taken apart and tries to escape]
‣ Armed Attack - Jean Clero [Plankton hears Chip's screams]
‣ Air Power - Sidney Sager ["Don't worry, son! Daddy is coming!"]
‣ Attack - Anthony Hymas [Robots chase Plankton and Chip defeats them]
‣ Beyond the Deep Blue Sea - Lisa Doby, Lionel Wendling [Plankton telling Karen how Chip saved him]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (l) - Jeremy Wakefield [Chip upgrades and becomes an adult computer]
‣ Walking on the Beach A - Kapono Beamer, Mac Prindy [Chip leaves his parents for college]
‣ Comical Clowns - Ronald Hanmer [Eight semesters later...]
‣ Bridge 3 - Wilfred Burns [Karen and Plankton spying on Chip's first day of work as an ATM machine]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (I) - Jeremy Wakefield [Mr. Krabs' money comes from Chip]
• Puka A - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 20 DVD.
- When this episode first aired, it was paired with "The Krusty Bucket," but since it has re-airing with "Broken Alarm."
- This episode has the same title card music as "Food Con Castaways."
- This episode reveals that Karen has a grandfather named Chip, as she named her child after him.
- After Plankton says, "I went to college...," it references the episode "Plankton!," where he first says this. He also says this in a few other episodes as well.
- In the same scene, when Plankton is about to cry, it looks the same as his "sincere face" in "Grandmum's the Word."
- Plankton passes the same building twice with the same people outside when looking for Chip.
- This episode reveals that Karen has the ability to create solid objects out of her own energy.
- Mr. Krabs' PIN number is revealed to be 1234.
- This is the second time where the episode ends with Plankton winning instead of Mr. Krabs, the first was "The Krusty Slammer."
- Coincidentally both episodes are from season 12.
- This is one of the few episodes where SpongeBob has a minor role. He only appears in one scene and has three lines.
- The dolphin chirp noise that Chip makes when talking to Plankton is a reference to Bad Word #11 from "Sailor Mouth."
- The tank that Plankton drives while searching Chip is the same one he used in "Teacher's Pests."
- Chip's head as a teenager resembles the Game Boy Advance.
- The scene in which teenage Chip swears at Karen is similar to how Derek Drymon said the F word to his mother.
- When Karen says, "Oh, Planky-poo," her on-screen mouth does not move.
- When Plankton shows how to "walk", Karen's lines or mouth has been stuck.
- In the French opening credits, Andrew Overtoom's name is misspelled as Andrew Overtoon.
- ^ This was found using the Unix timestamp of the thumbnail, which is 3/26/2020 @ 19:39:29.287.
- ^ Google archive of the episode page is from this date.
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1109514030987665409