- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Karen Plankton
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Chip I (debut)
- Chip Plankton II (debut)
- Eugene H. Krabs (cameo)
- French Narrator
- Stork drone (debut)
- Machine #1 (debut)
- Machine #2 (debut)
- Machine #3 (debut)
- Machine #4 (debut)
- Weird machine (debut)
- Joe (cameo)
- Gale Rechid (cameo)
- Frank (citizen) (cameo)
- Billy (lime fish) (cameo)
- Ivy (gray) (cameo)
- Chum Bucket glove (as a living character)
- Ryan Timmy
The episode begins at the Chum Bucket. Karen is pacing about, wondering when her baby, the one she ordered online, will arrive. Plankton gets run over by her, and she tells him that she is just waiting for her baby. Plankton then proceeds to freak out and tell her he doesn't want a baby. She tells him it is too late, and that it was nine months since she ordered it and it was no longer on back order. Plankton asks if they can get store credit instead, but a robot stork comes to deliver Karen's baby.
To try and stop the stork, Plankton uses the hand atop the restaurant to fight it, but the stork blasts the roof open and delivers the baby anyway. It turns out to be a calculator. Karen is ecstatic about the baby, but Plankton is negative about it. Karen decides to name the baby Chip, after her grandfather.
The baby begins crying, and Plankton gets annoyed. He tells Karen to shush the baby, and is surprised when it stops very quickly. He asks her how she calmed Chip down so fast. She tells him that she typed 4445 into his screen, and when spelled upside down spells 'Shhh.' Plankton says that it will not get more annoying, but then SpongeBob arrives.
SpongeBob brings a present for the new baby, and it turns out that Chip Plankton II likes SpongeBob. Plankton says that he is not the 'brightest diode in the box' to like SpongeBob. The present that SpongeBob brings is a can of compressed air, to keep his keys clean. The hose flies off the bottle and bounces off the wall, knocking Plankton's eye out. SpongeBob proceeds to blow himself out of the Chum Bucket with the compressed air.
Chip begins taking his first steps, which Karen encourages. She tells him to walk to Mommy, and he keeps falling down. Plankton mocks the baby's simple walking style, and walks in a fancy way to show off. Chip then upgrades to a young child. Plankton, still fancy-walking, slips on some computer paper that Chip dropped and flies into a trash can full of dirty diapers.
Karen takes Chip to the Fun Arcade in hopes of finding him some friends. She tells him to try the video game Happy Sub. At first, she thinks it is okay, but after seeing that there are a lot of enemies that Chip has to blast in the game, she gets scared and demands he come out of the game. Chip does not listen, so she shakes him out of the game. Chip then upgrades to a teenager.
Karen, mad at Chip for not listening to her, scolds him. He ignores her and then swears at her. Enraged, Karen grabs him by the side of his head and drags him back to the Chum Bucket. At the Chum Bucket, Karen begins ranting to Plankton about Chip's behavior. When he seems unaffected by this behavior, Karen then tells Plankton to talk to Chip while she cools off.
Plankton rolls his chair over to Chip and begins talking to him. Chip tells him what happened at the arcade, and Plankton is mad that Karen stopped his game. Plankton tells Chip that the perfect solution to his problem is to run away, trying to get rid of him. Confused, Chip questions him, and Plankton tells him 'you do you,' and to go see the world. Chip then leaves.
Karen, now calmed down, asks Plankton how his talk with Chip went. Plankton tells her it went great, and that he is a good boy. Karen agrees, but then asks him where Chip is. Plankton nonchalantly replies that he ran away. Karen flips out, questioning why her son would run away, and Plankton tells her that he told him to. Finally reaching a breaking point with his carelessness towards their son, Karen threatens Plankton with holographic weapons. She orders him to find their son or else he won't be welcome at home anymore. She soon throws him out of the restaurant, as he announces he is going.
Plankton, in his large tank, begins driving around the city calling for Chip. Chip is sitting on a cardboard box in an alley, when a robot brings him to his hangout with his buddies, introducing him to them. The robots seem to like him, and Chip says it is cool there. But if he wants to be a part of their group, they must dismantle him. Terrified, Chip tries to run off, but the robot pressures him into staying. Chip tries to escape, but a powerful magnet brings him back. The robots all prepare to dismantle him, but he swears, alerting Plankton to his location.
Plankton, finally concerned, blasts through a building with his tank and tells the robots to get away from his son. One of the robots proceeds to slice his tank up, destroying it. The robots chase after the scared Plankton, but Chip, wanting to save his father, says his first words by telling the robots to leave his father alone. Plankton, touched that Chip's first word was 'Father,' happily exclaims he cannot wait to rub that in Karen's face. Chip converts an ice cream machine into a weapon, destroying the other robots.
Back at the Chum Bucket, Plankton brags to Karen on what Chip did. Chip then upgrades to a college student. Plankton wants to buy him a quart of oil, but Chip tells him he is leaving for college. Karen and Plankton break down and wish him well as he leaves for college.
Eight semesters later, Plankton and Karen are spying on Chip's first day of work as an ATM at the bank. Mr. Krabs comes along to withdraw some money, but Chip refuses to let him have it, annoying Mr. Krabs. Krabs then proceeds to throw a tantrum by crying, which Plankton and Karen love. The proud Plankton says that Chip's his boy, and the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Vacation A - Kapono Beamer, Mac Prindy [Title card]
‣ Apples and Pears - Bruce Campbell [Karen pacing around the Chum Bucket nervously]
‣ Uh Oh Flutter-Eyed - [ProjectSAM Symphobia Colours: Animator] ["A baby?! I don't want a baby!"]
‣ A Simple Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["It's too late to stop it now. It's been nine months and the baby is no longer on back order."]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 3 - Fredric Bayco [Drone stork arrives at the Chum Bucket with Karen's baby]
‣ Fairy Coach - Ernest Tomlinson ["My baby's here!"]
‣ Comical Clowns - Ronald Hanmer [Plankton tries to stop the baby from being delivered to the Chum Bucket]
‣ Little Garden - Johnny Hawksworth [Karen's baby is revealed]
‣ Fooling Around 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Karen names her baby Chip]
‣ What's This Sting - Nicolas Carr ["I don't get it."]
‣ Lullaby Box - Leo Nissim [Chip is asleep]
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob arrives at the Chum Bucket with a present for Chip]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to next scene]
‣ Whimsey - Arthur Wilkinson [Chip starts walking]
‣ Disco Feverish - Nicolas Carr [Plankton walking around the Chum Bucket]
‣ Whimsey - Arthur Wilkinson [Chip continues walking]
‣ ? ["Upgrade" appears on Chip's screen]
‣ Fairies A - John Fox, Otto Sieben [Chip upgrades and becomes a little walking calculator]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 3 - Fredric Bayco [Plankton slips on some sheet of paper]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 4 - Fredric Bayco [Plankton falls into a trash can full of Chip's dirty diapers]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 3 - Fredric Bayco [Plankton coughs from inside the trash can]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["This stinks!"]
‣ Domestic Fun (a) - Ernest Tomlinson [Karen takes Chip to the arcade to make some friends]
‣ Fight for Your Life! - Gregor Narholz [Chip gets inside a videogame and plays on it]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (l) - Jeremy Wakefield [Chip upgrades and becomes a teenager]
‣ Domestic Fun (b) - Ernest Tomlinson ["So you think you can do whatever you want because you're a teenager now. You just wait until I tell your father."/Karen grabs Chip by the buttom ears]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 4 - Fredric Bayco [Karen tells Plankton what happened in the arcade with Chip/Karen angrily growls/"Just talk to your son! I need to cool my circuits."]
‣ Gamineries - Achille Alberto Scotti [Plankton tells Chip to run away and he leaves the Chum Bucket]
‣ Happy Links 1-5 - Paul Fenoulhet [Karen asks Plankton where Chip is]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 4 - Fredric Bayco ["Why would my baby run away?"]
‣ Horror-Scope - Ronald Hanmer [Karen gets very angry with Plankton and orders him to bring back Chip to the Chum Bucket]
‣ Dramatic Episode 2 - Kurt Rehfeld [Plankton searching for Chip around Bikini Bottom driving a tank]
‣ This Space for Hire - Sam Fonteyn [A robot befriends Chip and shows him his buddies]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["If you want to be part of us, we're gonna need your parts."]
‣ The Escape - John Scott [Chip sees a robot being taken apart and tries to escape from the robots]
‣ Armed Attack - Jean Clero [Plankton hears Chip's screams]
‣ Air Power - Sidney Sager ["Don't worry, son! Daddy is coming!"]
‣ Attack - Anthony Hymas [Robots chase Plankton and Chip defeats them]
‣ Beyond the Deep Blue Sea - Lisa Doby, Lionel Wendling [Plankton telling Karen how Chip saved him]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (l) - Jeremy Wakefield [Chip upgrades and becomes an adult computer]
‣ Walking on the Beach A - Kapono Beamer, Mac Prindy [Chip leaves his parents for college]
‣ Comical Clowns - Ronald Hanmer [Eight semesters later...]
‣ Bridge 3 - Wilfred Burns [Karen and Plankton spying on Chip's first day of work as an ATM machine]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (I) - Jeremy Wakefield [Mr. Krabs' money comes from Chip]
‣ Puka A - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 20 DVD.
- When this episode first aired, it was paired with "The Krusty Bucket."
- This episode has the same title card music as "Food Con Castaways."
- This episode reveals that Karen has a grandfather named Chip, as she named her child after him.
- After Plankton says, "I went to college...," it references the episode "Plankton!," where he first says this. He also says this in a few other episodes as well.
- In the same scene, when Plankton is about to cry, it looks the same as his "sincere face" in "Grandmum's the Word."
- Plankton passes the same building twice with the same people outside when looking for Chip.
- This episode reveals that Karen has the ability to create solid objects out of her own energy.
- Mr. Krabs' PIN number is revealed to be 1234.
- This is the second time where the episode ends with Plankton getting the best of Mr. Krabs, the first was "The Krusty Slammer."
- This is one of the few episodes where SpongeBob has a minor role.
- The dolphin chirp noise that Chip makes when talking to Plankton is a reference to "Sailor Mouth."
- The weird machine's voice is similar to TJ's voice from WordGirl. Coincidentally, Tom Kenny voiced both of those characters.
- Chip's head as a teenager resembles the Game Boy Advance.
- When Karen says, "Oh, Planky-poo," her on-screen mouth does not move.