) April 2
Kamp Koral: SpongeBob's Under Years
is a spin-off series that acts as a prequel to SpongeBob SquarePants
. It premiered on Paramount+
in the United States on March 4
The show is animated in CGI.
It depicts younger versions of the main characters from the original show. SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, and Sandy are campers; Mr. Krabs is the camp director; Pearl is a baby; Mrs. Puff is the scoutmaster and activity teacher; Plankton and Karen are camp chefs; and Gary is a formerly stray snail who becomes SpongeBob's pet.
The show is set at a summer sleepaway camp called Camp Coral, located in the Kelp Forest. SpongeBob SquarePants is a ten-year-old camper who wears a red cap. Mr. Krabs is the camp director, and he stays in a cabin with his baby daughter, Pearl. Other campers include SpongeBob's friends, Patrick, Sandy, and Squidward. Squidward is slightly older than the others and works as a junior counselor. Mrs. Puff is the teacher of arts and crafts, as well as the scoutmaster who keeps an eye on the kids. Plankton and Karen are the chefs of the camp. The gang spends the summer catching jellyfish, building camp-fires, and swimming in a goo lake called Lake Yuckymuck.
The ten main characters from SpongeBob SquarePants will return for Kamp Koral, along with two new characters: Nobby and Narlene, a pair of narwhals who live in the woods around the campsite.
Various character designs are used for campers in the background, such as Kevin C. Cucumber, Bubble Bass, and Craig Mammalton. Younger versions of Perch Perkins, Nosferatu, Larry the Lobster, Dennis, and Lady Upturn reappear as well.
The characters and locations in Kamp Koral are based on scenes from the third movie, The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run. In the movie, Camp Coral is featured in several flashbacks. All main characters that appear in them are aged up in the spin-off; some designs (such as SpongeBob SquarePants, Patrick Star, and Mrs. Puff's camp outfits) remained mostly the same, whereas others (such as Squidward Tentacle and Sandy Cheeks' designs) were heavily updated. In the movie, Mrs. Puff was the only camp counselor, but in the series, she is joined by Mr. Krabs as the camp director.
The series is being animated by a different studio from Sponge on the Run to decrease the time and cost spent on animation. It is being animated by Technicolor's animation studio, in Bangladesh, India; the corporation also owns Mikros Image, which provided animation for the third movie. Executive producer Vincent Waller said in an interview, in regards to the final animation: “The main challenge was finding a crew capable of building a new world, from the sand up to the beautiful ocean/sky above our Kampers, at breakneck speed to have our show premiere in March [...] Having seen other CG TV shows, we were very worried we wouldn’t be able to hit the same high mark when it comes to the characters’ acting and posing. But those challenges excited the crew, and they came up with innovations to hit the wild and varied expressions our storyboard artists were throwing at them.”
Brian Robbins stated that he helped create the idea for Kamp Koral. In October 2018, Robbins became the president of Nickelodeon. On his "second or third day" at Nickelodeon, he "was asked to go to a SpongeBob season 12 or 13 pickup meeting" and "asked a lot of questions." This made him realize that SpongeBob had "basically stayed the same" and inspired him and others together to come up with ideas for spin-off shows and new characters.
On February 14, 2019, it was announced that an unnamed spinoff of SpongeBob SquarePants was in the works at Nickelodeon. On June 4, 2019, it was announced that a CG-animated spinoff of SpongeBob SquarePants under the working title of Kamp Koral was officially green-lit with a 13-episode order.
On February 19, 2020, the show's official title was given as Kamp Koral: SpongeBob's Under Years. It was also announced that the voice cast from SpongeBob SquarePants would return for the spinoff series. Those cast members being: Tom Kenny, Bill Fagerbakke, Rodger Bumpass, Clancy Brown, Carolyn Lawrence, Doug Lawrence, Mary Jo Catlett, Jill Talley, and Lori Alan. It was also announced that Carlos Alazraqui and Kate Higgins would voice two new characters: Nobby and Narlene, twin narwhals. On January 10, 2021, during an NFL Wild Card game playoff aired on Nickelodeon, a six-minute sneak peek of "The Jellyfish Kid" was shown. On February 2, 2021, a promotional short titled "I'm Urchin You to Leave" was released on The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run Blu-ray and DVD in Canada.
- Unlike The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run, where the characters' young selves are voiced by child actors, the series retains their adult actors. The character designs from the show are "similar but not the same" to the designs used in the third movie.
- Kamp Koral: SpongeBob's Under Years is the first Nicktoon to be released exclusively on Paramount+.
- As revealed in the episode "Camper Gary," the Kamp Koral series takes place one year after the events of the flashbacks in Sponge on the Run.
The series features a variety of new locations, as well as some settings based on places from the original series.
Kamp Koral Sneak Peek Promo (NFL Wild Card Game Live Promo)
Kamp Koral- SpongeBob's Under Years Sneak Peek
Kamp Koral Sneak Peek Promo
Kamp Koral Sneak Peek Promo -2
Kamp Koral- SpongeBob's Under Years PREVIEW! - Coming Soon to Paramount+
Kamp Koral- SpongeBob's Under Years - Official Trailer - Paramount+
Kamp Koral- SpongeBob’s Under Years Pre-Launch Trailer (February 23rd, 2021)
Top 5 LOL Moments From Episode 1 of Kamp Koral! 🤣 - SpongeBob
KAMP KORAL SpongeBob's Under Years Trailer (Animation - 2021)
Kamp Koral + The Barbarian and the Troll Promo 1 - April 2, 2021 (Nickelodeon U.S.)
Kamp Koral + The Barbarian and the Troll Promo 2 - April 2, 2021 (Nickelodeon U.S.)
Kamp Koral + The Barbarian and the Troll Promo 3 - April 2, 2021 (Nickelodeon U.S.)
Add a photo to this gallery
Best of Kamp Koral- SpongeBob's Under Years! 🤓 - Nickelodeon Cartoon Universe
- ^ a b Andreeva, Nellie (2019-06-04). ‘SpongeBob SquarePants’ CG-Animated Prequel Series ‘Kamp Koral’ Greenlighted By Nickelodeon. Deadline. Retrieved on 2019-07-15.
- ^ Baysinger, Tom (2021-03-18). How Nickelodeon Plans to Stock Up on ‘SpongeBob SquarePants’. TheWrap. The Wrap News. Retrieved on 2021-03-26. “Nickelodeon will premiere the first season of “Kamp Koral” that is currently streaming on Paramount+ this fall, which will coincide with the second season of “Kamp Koral” on the streaming service.”
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SplkCdTDBD8
- ^ https://www.paramountmas.com/ar/serie/kamp-koral-los-primeros-anos-de-bob-esponja_6yx901
- ^ ViacomCBS Announces March 4 Launch Date for Paramount+. Business Wire. Berkshire Hathaway (2021-01-19). Retrieved on 2021-03-26.
- ^ https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/600366664164311041/733383640213618829/Screenshot_20200716-210215_Gmail.jpg
- ^ Welk, Brian (2021-01-28). 'The SpongeBob Movie' to Debut on Paramount+ at March Launch. TheWrap. The Wrap News. Retrieved on 2021-03-26.
- ^ a b c d Sarto, Dan (2021-03-04). An Endless Summer of Cartoon Fun: ‘Kamp Koral: SpongeBob’s Under Years’. Animation World Network. Retrieved on 2021-03-26.
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1246496951136223234
- ^ Sandberg, Bryn (2018-10-01). Viacom Names Brian Robbins President of Nickelodeon. The Hollywood Reporter. MRC Media & Info. Retrieved on 2021-03-26.
- ^ Daswani, Mansha (2019-10-01). Nickelodeon’s Brian Robbins. TVKIDS. WSN. Retrieved on 2021-03-26.
- ^ Breaking News - Nickelodeon Embarks on New Direction with Its Biggest, Most Wide-Ranging Content Slate Ever - New Shows Are "All That" and Much More. The Futon Critic. Futon Media (2019-02-14). Retrieved on 2021-03-26.
- ^ Petski, Denise (2019-02-14). ‘SpongeBob’ Spinoffs, ‘All That’ & ‘Are You Smarter Than 5th Grader?’ Revivals & More On Nickelodeon’s 2019 Content Slate. Deadline. Penske Business Media. Retrieved on 2021-03-26.
- ^ Andreeva, Nellie (2019-06-04). ‘SpongeBob SquarePants’ CG-Animated Prequel Series ‘Kamp Koral’ Greenlighted By Nickelodeon. Deadline. Penske Business Media. Retrieved on 2021-03-26.
- ^ Breaking News - Nickelodeon Greenlights "Kamp Koral," Original Animated Spinoff of Hit Series "SpongeBob SquarePants". The Futon Critic. Futon Media (2019-06-04). Retrieved on 2021-03-26.
- ^ Porter, Rick (2020-02-19). 'SpongeBob' Prequel, Live-Action 'Loud House' Movie Set at Nickelodeon. The Hollywood Reporter. MRC Media & Info. Retrieved on 2021-03-26.
- ^ Perry, Spencer (2020-02-19). Spongebob Squarepants Prequel Announces Cast. ComicBook.com. ViacomCBS. Retrieved on 2021-03-26.
- ^ Steinberg, Brian (2020-12-15). ViacomCBS Taps SpongeBob SquarePants to Get Kids to Watch NFL. Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved on 2021-03-26.
- ^ Pinkie Davis on Twitter