Jelliens are evil alien versions of jellyfish that were created by the Jellien Leader after it consumed and trapped a regular jellyfish. They appear in the episode "Planet of the Jellyfish." They are minions of the Jellien Leader, and help it turn sea creatures into evil clones.
Jelliens look like regular jellyfish, except they have big, shiny, pitch-black eyes. They have mouths with sharp teeth in which they use to consume people and make Jellien clones. When creating said Jellien clones, they generate tendril-like tubes that are used to secrete colored biomass that quickly forms into the said clones.
Being a mere clone of jellyfish, they cannot sting.
Abilities, talents, and relationships
As servants for the Jellien Overlord, Jelliens explore and take the role of drones. This is because they capture non-Jellien life forms and create the Jellien version of the said lifeform while taking the original to the Jellien Overlord. They also scout over non-Jellien lifeform territories and stumble upon Bikini Bottom which provided them more prey.
While they appear to be weak noticeably as they cannot sting, they counteract this via manipulation and trickery, as shown where it uses its appearance to fool SpongeBob. However, if necessary, they also willing to fight to the death with their enemies.
Primary Jelliens have the alarming ability to copy the captured victim's DNA that are both used to create the Jellien clones. As a result, while its appearance mirrors the original, except for the eyes, which remain the same with other Jelliens, Jellien clones would easily blend with non-Jellien life forms while either hunting for more potential victims or guarding the Hive/Overlord's lair.
Role in episode
During the beginning of the episode, after SpongeBob passes by a cave, the Evil Alien Jellyfish Overlord eats a jellyfish and makes them into Jelliens. One of the Jelliens eats Patrick and makes a clone of him, and Jellien Patrick is born. The rest of the Jelliens are then captured by Jellien Patrick and they both give out the Jelliens to the citizens of Bikini Bottom.
Afterwards, the Jelliens manage to take over most of the citizens except SpongeBob and Sandy, who both learn that the Jelliens' weakness is mayonnaise. They then fight through the Jellien army using mayo and eventually take down the Overlord. When their leader is destroyed, it and the remaining Jelliens are reduced to relish and are never seen again.
- The name "Jellien" is a portmanteau of the words "jellyfish" and "alien."
- The Jelliens are a parody of the plants from Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
- They have fewer spots than any other jellyfish in all forms.
- They can be tricked by wearing special glasses that look like the Jellien eyes, but certain words and actions can give the deceiver away.
- Despite arguably outranking Jellien clones, the clones treat Jelliens as underlings, as evidenced by them referring to Jelliens as objects like hats and pillows, and a scene where Jellien Patrick forcefully shoves a Jellien through Squidward's mail slot, with no regard for the pain he is causing it.
- The jellyfish's large, black eyes are carried on to other characters after they have been possessed.
- It is left ambiguous as to what happened to the Jellien adopted by SpongeBob, though it most likely was destroyed along with the others upon the defeat of their leader.
- The Jelliens share their name with an enemy in Super Paper Mario, though the Jelliens in that game have a much different design and are less aggressive than these.