- Eugene H. Krabs
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- French Narrator
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Karen Plankton
- Purple cellmate (debut)
- Reggie Toothy (debut)
- Squid cellmate (debut)
- Light blue cellmate (debut)
- Incidental 155
- Incidental 30A
- Incidental 67
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 115
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 25
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 63
- Incidental 150
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 82
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 104
- Incidental 151
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 118
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 20
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 65
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 28
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 30
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 105
- Whale cellmate (debut)
- Cashier (orange) (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles (as the purple cellmate's disguise)
- Ray Buffer
The episode begins with the narrator explaining the Bikini Bottom Jail, mainly its newest member, Plankton. The warden lets all of the prisoners out, including Plankton. Plankton hears SpongeBob calling out to him, who wants to know why he is present. SpongeBob exclaims that he was hired by Mr. Krabs to watch over him at the jail every weekend as another job in the Krusty Krab. Plankton does not like the idea, but the prison warden tells him to quiet down.
The scene changes over to a room, where Karen is about to send over a cake to SpongeBob, which is for Plankton. Plankton asks if Karen had put the file in the cake, but Karen just laughs, thinking he is joking. Plankton unsuccessfully tries to jump over the glass, but SpongeBob grabs him.
In the cafeteria, Plankton attempts to eat his food, but a purple cellmate grabs some of his beans and eats them. Another green cellmate drinks Plankton's milk, and then Plankton gets eaten by a light blue cellmate. Plankton yells out that he is the evilest genius and yells out his name. The purple cellmate, thinking the light blue cellmate is talking, does not believe him, saying he and the others are fans of Plankton. Plankton calls out his name again and then the purple cellmate punches the light blue cellmate in the stomach, which causes Plankton to be punched out and crash into the wall. The purple and green cellmates start to beat up the light blue cellmate until Plankton breaks it up. Plankton introduces himself to the cellmates and they say how they are going to do everything that Plankton says. Plankton gets excited, saying how easily he could get the Krabby Patty secret formula.
Outside, Plankton is explaining to his cellmates how to escape from the Bikini Bottom Jail. The cellmates have ideas, but Plankton tells them they need better ones. The whale cellmate says they could break out only if they had chum and the other cellmates agree, explaining how they used it in crimes before they got busted. Plankton is surprised by the cellmates saying how chum is great for committing crimes. Plankton asks if chum is great for eating, but the cellmates do not think so. Realizing he overlooked the capabilities of chum, Plankton then agrees to make chum for the cellmates, and they all cheer. Inside Plankton's jail cell, Plankton, and his cellmates are creating chum using different kinds of items. SpongeBob overhears them and runs to the Krusty Krab to warn Mr. Krabs. At the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob tells Mr. Krabs that Plankton is planning to break into the Krusty Krab with his cellmates. Mr. Krabs insures SpongeBob that he will handle the problem.
Back at Bikini Bottom Jail, a Prison Warden is talking to two of Plankton's cellmates, saying why they are out of their cells. The purple cellmate says that the green cellmate said the napkin smells like kelp berries. The prison warden smells the napkin and falls down, unconscious. The Purple and Green cellmates bring the Prison Warden inside, while Plankton arms himself with chum and a bomb. The Whale cellmate then launches Plankton to the other side of the prison, and Plankton plants the bomb on the wall. Plankton gets spotted, but the bomb goes off and blows a giant hole in the wall. However, the Prison Wardens then start filling up the wall, making it impossible for Plankton to get through. However, they get stuck and Plankton uses the opportunity to lead all of his cellmates out through the front door. At the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob notices Plankton and all of his cellmates preparing to invade the Krusty Krab. Mr. Krabs says that they are ready for them, while Plankton yells out to his cellmates to bring him the formula. Plankton's cellmates begin breaking down the door using the whale cellmate as a battering ram, and they successfully break-in. The Whale Prisoner then opens the safe, with Mr. Krabs urging Plankton not to get it, but Plankton does not listen. As Plankton heads toward the "formula," the curtain rises and the entire Bikini Bottom Police Force emerges from it. Mr. Krabs reveals that he knew of Plankton's attempted break-in and had enough time to hide the entire Police Force in his safe. The Police Force then takes Plankton and the rest of his cellmates back to jail. SpongeBob congratulates Mr. Krabs on how he always wins, but then the entire Krusty Krab falls apart. The episode ends when Mr. Krabs replies "Yep, I'm a winner."
- Plankton getting poked by a training baton.
|( ‣ ) Production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Greenhorn Rag - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
‣ Hercule Poirot - Gerhard Trede [opening]
• Seaweed 1 - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob as a prison guard]
• A Casual Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Karen brings Plankton a cake / "You mean love?" / "What?! The file?"]
• A Simple Conversation 1 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Plankton at lunch]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, and Jeremy Wakefield ["Hey! What did you say?"]
• Sponge Crusher - Nicolas Carr ["We're all big fans of that maniacal little miscreant!"/Prisoner is punched in the stomach, ejecting Plankton]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 1A - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton falls on the floor]
• Bubble Popping Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Gather round, fellow convicts!"]
• Noodly Shenanigans - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Okay, gang."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (E) - Ronald Hanmer [guy smears chum on his face]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 4 - Phil Green ["What a hideous monster!"]
• Noodly Shenanigans - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Have you ever tried eating it?"]
‣ Call The Cops! - Gary James Crockett, Jay Stuart Glover [chum bank robbery]
• Bubble Popping Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["If it's chum you want, it's chum you shall have!"]
• Suspended Suspense - Nicolas Carr [prisoners making chum]
• Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [choir]
‣ Murder in Mind - Kenny Graham [SpongeBob hears about the jailbreak]
• The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [Krabs paints a picture of a dollar]
‣ Long Distance Mission [#17] - Phil Green [SpongeBob tells Krabs about the jailbreak]
‣ Victim 5 - Harry Lubin ["Whoa there!"]
‣ Long Distance Mission [#20] - Phil Green [prison guard passes out]
‣ Hercule Poirot - Gerhard Trede [detonator made out of soap]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 2C - Jeremy Wakefield [prison wall blown up]
‣ Pell-Mell - Sam Spence [prison guards blocking the gap in the wall]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 6B - Jeremy Wakefield [prison guards struggling to move]
‣ Winds of War [#8] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [prisoners escape through the front door]
‣ Cloak And Dagger [#70] - Phil Green ["Yes!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 3A - Jeremy Wakefield ["Sorry, boss."]
• Entrapped - Nicolas Carr [Plankton approaches the safe]
• Bikini Bottom Police - Nicolas Carr [cops]
• Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 15, Bizarro Bikini Bottom, It Came from Goo Lagoon, Bikini Bottom's Most Wanted, Evil Spatula, Complete Ninth Season, Next 100 Episodes, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- Both this episode and its sister are Plankton-related.
- The title card background for this episode is similar to that of "Dunces and Dragons."
- This is the only Season 9 episode that plays the first version of "Greenhorn Rag".
- This episode marks the first time that an animated sperm whale has been seen that was not Pearl.
- This episode is the fifth piece of SpongeBob SquarePants media where Plankton goes to jail. The first was The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, the second was "Krabby Road," the third was "Sweet and Sour Squid," and the fourth was "Fiasco!"
- It is unknown why Plankton was in jail, but at the end, he was arrested for breaking out of jail along with the other inmates.
- One of Plankton's cellmates is a whale that looks similar to Pearl.
- Plankton is not afraid of the whale in this episode, but he is afraid of Pearl in "One Coarse Meal."
- He isn't afraid of the whale in "The Algae's Always Greener," either.
- The recipe for chum in this episode is different than that revealed in the episode "Spongicus."
- Chum is actually the guts and organs of fish, yet this was not used in the recipe.
- It is revealed that chum is used for committing crimes throughout Bikini Bottom.
- This is one of few episodes where SpongeBob calls Plankton by his first name, "Sheldon."
- Although Squidward does not appear in this episode, a prisoner uses chum and looks and laughs like him.
- Even though Karen points out the silliness of having a nail file in a cake, one of the prisoners is seen with a nail file and a cake in his stomach when he eats Plankton.
- This is the seventh episode in which, at no point, SpongeBob wears his normal clothes. The first was "Ripped Pants," the second was "Walking Small," the third was "The Fry Cook Games," the fourth was "SpongeGuard on Duty" (not counting the live-action SpongeBob costume), the fifth was "Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob," and the sixth was "The Inmates of Summer."
- This is the first episode of season 9 which the title consists of a single word and ends with an exclamation mark. The second and third are "Sanctuary!" and "Sold!" respectively.
- The original German title of this episode, "Fraß macht frei" (Chum Sets You Free), was cancelled 10 days before its premiere on Nickelodeon Germany, due to the reference to the German phrase "Arbeit macht frei," known for appearing on the entrance of Auschwitz and other labor camps. However, this episode premiered in Germany on March 29, 2015 with the title unchanged, which resulted in the episode being banned. On August 1, 2015 (approximately four months after the German premiere), the episode finally reran with a new title, "Knastbrüder," which means "Jailbird."
- As a result, in Germany, this episode has two title cards.
- The German version of the Bikini Bottom's Most Wanted DVD still calls this episode "Fraß macht frei and Knastbuder."
- Plankton's prisoner number is #655321, which is a reference to the character Alex in the book/film A Clockwork Orange, who shares the same number.
- Early in the episode, when Dennis emerges from his cell, he is tall. After he and some other prisoners help break into the Krusty Krab, Dennis is much shorter.
- When the whale cellmate turns around and looks at the safe in the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob's pant leg color is white instead of brown.