- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Squidward Tentacles
- Sandy Cheeks
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Karen Plankton
- Bikini Bottomites
- Realistic Fish Head
- Perch Perkins
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 60
- Purple baby
- Incidental 153
- Incidental 150
- Tyler Billy Timmy
- Incidental 47
- White fish
- Incidental 17
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 102
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 68
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 81
- Incidental 28
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 106
- Debbie Rechid
- Incidental 103
- Bubble giants
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 23
- Incidental 155
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 46
- Fred (blue)
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 12
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 73
- Bride fish
- Groom fish
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 15 (looks a bit different)
- Rich blue barracuda (cameo)
- Rich blonde fish (cameo)
- SpongeBlob (debut)
- Bubble giants (debut)
- King Neptune (on a statue)
It is a typical day at Goo Lagoon and SpongeBob and Patrick are having fun playing on the beach. Suddenly, large purple, goo bubbles arise out of a volcanic crack at the bottom of the lagoon. Two of these bubbles approach SpongeBob and Patrick while they are about to drown at sea. They bounce the goo bubbles like a ball on seawater, accidentally hitting some fish swimming with a floater, a surfer, and a cheerleading-style posed fish. Meanwhile, Plankton tries to sell his chum from a wheelbarrow when Squidward smashes him with an umbrella. SpongeBob and Patrick use their Mucus Bubbles to likewise bounce and smash Squidward and his belongings. Plankton thinks that it is Karma and he notices that SpongeBob and Patrick are bouncing the goo bubble like a ball. He doesn't know what it is and tries to ask Squidward but Squidward leaves him and angrily scolds SpongeBob and Patrick. Soon, Sandy approaches them. Sandy tries to explain to SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, the Bikini Bottomites, and Plankton, that the bubbles are made of a highly toxic "Super Goo". She explains that they are safe when stable, but as is, they are very unstable, and if popped, they can coat a large portion of Bikini Bottom in purple goo. Plankton hears this and unveils a machine which he uses to find a bubble large enough to cover the entire city, as most are rather small (about the size of beach balls). Then he goes under the lagoon in a ship to find the crack where the bubbles are coming from.
Meanwhile, more bubbles begin to arise from the lagoon, and the Bikini Bottomites begin to use the bubbles. Although Sandy said that they were dangerous, SpongeBob and Patrick continue to use the goo bubbles as bouncy balls. Squidward begins to use the goo as a hairdo. The other citizens continue to use it for their own purposes as well. Perch Perkins begins to report for the Bikini Bottom News with Johnny. He states how the Goo Bubbles are popular at Goo Lagoon. While on the air, Sandy, now going partly insane with her theory, once again tries to warn them to stop playing with the goo. Again, nobody believes her. Plankton continues on his quest to put the goo to use, determined to find the crack at any cost. Soon, he does find it. Plankton, as well as Karen, widen the crack and unleash the largest Goo Bubble yet. It rises out of Goo Lagoon, finally convincing everyone to evacuate the beach.
The trio examines the bubble and realizes it is dangerous. They need to stop it with supplies from Sandy's treedome SpongeBob, Patrick, and Sandy proceed to her treedome. However, Patrick gets swept into the bubble. The duo gets into Sandy's submarine at her treedome, then proceeds to save Patrick. They soon find the giant bubble and they tell Patrick to get in the Submarine but Patrick refuses, so they send down a crane to grab Patrick, who is sitting on the goo. Patrick is pulled into the submarine, and then the three prepare themselves to stop the bubble. They soon discover that Plankton is controlling the bubble after they see his ship. The recently reunited trio pursuit Plankton around the bubble. They catch him rather easily. Sadly, its revealed to be a trap; Plankton outsmarts the trio and sends them off the bubble. To rub salt into the wound, Plankton also destroys Sandy's submarine. The trio then pursues the Plankton on foot through downtown Bikini Bottom.
They end up at the Krusty Krab. SpongeBob, Patrick, Sandy, many Bikini Bottomites, and Mr. Krabs confront Plankton and the bubble in front of the Krusty Krab and Chum Bucket. Spongebob attempts to send the bubble away via creating a "Bubble Bruiser". The attempt, however, backfires. Plankton once again demands that Mr. Krabs hands him the Krabby Patty formula or else he will pop the bubble, and leave the entire city covered in purple goo. Left with an ultimatum of either giving up the formula or having an angry mob destroy the Krusty Krab and do it themselves, Mr. Krabs reluctantly surrenders and gives him the "formula." However, Plankton, in the ultimate act of welching, pops the bubble anyway, causing the entire city to get covered in purple goo.
Plankton proceeds to read the "formula " on his ship. It reads, "Just one Ingredient...". He quickly realizes the formula is fake when he pulls down the paper, revealing a stick of Dynamite. The Dynamite stick explodes, causing his ship to crash into the roof of the Chum Bucket. Mr. Krabs, covered in goo, thinks everything is back to normal. Sandy corrects him, with the fact that everyone and everything in Bikini Bottom is covered in goo, and says that it is a "disaster." Mr. Krabs makes a plan to clean everybody. He uses soap bubbles to clean everybody and everything in town, while still making a profit.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Aloha Lui Lui - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Opening]
‣ Some Things To Know About Monsters - Eban Schletter ["For deadly danger creeps their way..."]
‣ The Creature (a) - Gregor Narholz ["...and it came from Goo Lagoon!"]
‣ Surf Happy Fun (Underscore) - Billy Lincoln [Pan over beach]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob wonders why they're not sinking]
‣ Planet Xz-3 30 - Gregor Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick sitting on goo bubbles]
• Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick bouncing]
‣ A Casual Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Plankton selling chum]
• Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Patrick fall from the sky, smashing into Squidward]
‣ Planet Xz-3 30 - Gregor Narholz [Robot emerges from Goo Lagoon]
‣ ? ["Stop! Those bubbles are dangerous!"]
‣ Planet Surface - Gregor Narholz [Sandy explains]
‣ Break In - Harry Lubin [That rodent's right!]
‣ Tower of Evil - Magnum Opus [Rocket takes off]
‣ Silly Shenanigans - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob and Patrick playing with goo bubbles]
‣ Dramatic Encounter - Gregor Narholz ["You have been warned!"]
• Self Surf - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Volleyball]
‣ Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr [News on TV]
• Surfing Sponge Instrumental - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Perch Perkins interviews SpongeBob, Patrick]
‣ Crazy Mind - Harry Lubin ["Super goo is evil!"]
• Surfing Sponge Instrumental - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Perch takes the microphone back]
‣ Crime Capers - Carlo Giacco ["I can't find this thing anywhere."]
‣ Tower of Evil - Magnum Opus [Karen cuts the ship's power]
‣ Psycho Killer - Harry Lubin ["YES!!"]
‣ Twilight Zone - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Giant goo bubble!"]
‣ Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr [Perch Perkins interviews Sandy/"This is Perch Perkins and I'm soaking wet. Back to you."]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["No, Patrick, don't!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick bounces back causing him to crash into SpongeBob]
• Sneaky Buns - Nicolas Carr [Sandy analyzing goo sample]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (III) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick make a painting made of goo]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob grows another set of arms]
‣ Assault [#60] - Geoff Love, Ken Thorne, Phil Green [Rumbling]
‣ Agitation Bridge 5 - Phil Green ["Run like heck!"]
‣ Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr ["Well, there you have it."]
‣ Agitation [#29] - Phil Green [Everyone running from the bubble]
‣ Tales from the Swamp (a) - Ron Goodwin [Bubble floating away with Patrick]
‣ Terror Hunt - Phil Green ["Now what do we do?"]
‣ Adventure Fanfare 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Squidward, it's an emergency!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (V) - Jeremy Wakefield [Goo drips on Squidward]
‣ Assault [#60] - Geoff Love, Ken Thorne, Phil Green [Patrick screaming]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Patrick playing with goo]
‣ Rescue - Cecil Milner ["Hold on, Patrick!"]
‣ Bridal Chorus - Richard Wagner [Wedding]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (m) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Help me, my beloved."]
‣ Armed Attack - Jean Clero [Goo dripping on townspeople/Sandy's missiles destroy Neptune's statue.]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["That's weird."]
‣ Victim 5 - Harry Lubin [Plankton pushing the goo bubble]
• Porous Pursuit - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Sandy's submarine chases Plankton]
‣ Rodeo Rascals - Barry Anthony [Sandy lassos Plankton]
‣ Creeping Up [#63] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["That's right, come to papa."]
‣ Death of the Alien 2 [#40] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Retreat! Retreat!"]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Good thing we landed on SpongeBob."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["My sub!"]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Tough guy? Bubble?"]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Eureka!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (c) - Jeremy Wakefield ["That's your answer for everything."]
‣ Red Alert [#8] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Hello down there, Krabs!"]
‣ No Fear (a) - Udi Harpaz ["Hold it right there, mister."]
‣ Ruthless Killer - Phil Green ["Get him!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Bubble giant steps on Patrick]
‣ Tower of Evil - Magnum Opus [Bubble giant lifts goo bubble]
‣ Blue Danube - Fiachra Trench, Johann Strauss Sr [Goo bubble floats into space]
‣ Terror - Alan Braden ["Oh no, he's coming back!"]
‣ Dramatic Encounter - Gregor Narholz [Everyone screams]
‣ Unsettled Menace - Phil Green ["Give me that formula or I'll destroy the town!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (n) - Jeremy Wakefield ["But I don't wanna!"]
‣ Melodramatic Moments - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Okay, I'll do it."]
‣ Dream Date - Emil Cadkin, Phil Green, William Loose ["I can't believe it!"]
‣ Unsettled Menace - Phil Green ["This bubble, that is!"]
‣ Rescue - Cecil Milner [Goo bubble bursts]
‣ A Simple Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [TNT stick]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Ow."]
• Bikini Bottom Bound - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs laughs]
• Jovial Pirate's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 15, It Came from Goo Lagoon, Complete Ninth Season, Next 100 Episodes, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- A clip of this episode was shown in Nickelodeon commercials.
- A clip from this episode can be seen in the 2017 Nickelodeon film Monster Trucks.
- The title card's font is similar to those of "Planet of the Jellyfish" and "Evil Spatula."
- This is the first double-length episode of season 9.
- This is the last double-length episode to air before The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water.
- This episode marks the second time that Plankton has both been seen at and plans to sell chum at Goo Lagoon. The first was in "Walking Small."
- This is the third appearance of the Moon, close up. The first two are "Sandy's Rocket" and "Mooncation."
- This is the third double-length episode to be produced in widescreen. The first was "Truth or Square" and the second was "It's a SpongeBob Christmas!"
- This episode marks the third time Mr. Krabs has tricked Plankton with a fake formula. The first is in "Plankton's Army" and the second is in "New Leaf."
- In the promotion, this episode was called "SpongeBob vs. The Goo."
- In a promo for this episode, a version of the song "Can Can" is played.
- A sneak peek preview of the Nickelodeon animated show, Breadwinners (TV series), aired after this episode.
- There is an online game based on this episode called The Goo from Goo Lagoon.
- The goo bubbles in this episode are purple, despite the title card background making it seem like they would be green.
- SpongeBob and Patrick running back and forth from the water wave is similar to how they run back and forth from their houses in "That Sinking Feeling."
- Plankton selling chum in a cart is similar to how he sells chum from a box in "Drive Thru."
- The tanning mirror seen in this episode is different from the one seen in "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy." Also, in both episodes, Squidward is the one who uses it.
- When Patrick's hands are covered with goo, he pulls his arm off and it does not grow back. Normally the limbs of a starfish do grow back. Patrick's limbs, in fact, grow back in "Karate Star," however.
- Sandy's submarine from "Bubble Troubles" appears again and is also destroyed.
- It is also damaged/destroyed in that episode.
- When Patrick gets hoisted up away from SpongeBlob, he says "Goodbye SpongeBlob." A similar line occurs in "Don't Look Now."
- When Sandy and SpongeBob re-enter Earth's atmosphere in "Mooncation," Sandy has to make sure they did not burn up. Yet Plankton goes right up and comes down fast, never burning up.
- In the end, everybody is cleaned. This is similar to the de-icking in "Fungus Among Us."
- The lifeguard wears shorts that are similar to Patrick's.
- The title is a reference to the 1953 movie It Came from Outer Space and Dweeb's "It Came From Outer Space" album.
- Patrick's "toupee" bears a resemblance to Elvis Presley's hair.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick bounce on the goo bubbles right before they hit Nat, SpongeBob is shown and then Patrick shown ahead of him, but when SpongeBob bounces over Nat and when Patrick hit Nat, Patrick is behind SpongeBob.
- When Squidward destroys the chum wagon, pinches of chum can be seen around him. A few moments later the chum is missing.
- Both Patrick and SpongeBob's clothes change from their swim outfits to their normal outfits without it being shown; the same can be seen on Dale.
- The button on Sandy's suit that opened up the projector was placed between the top of the zipper and the zipper itself.
- When Bill jumps in the trash can, he is dirty, and then turns from green to blue.
- When the Super Goo bubble is shown between the Krusty Krab and the Chum Bucket, the path leading from the Chum Bucket to the road is missing. The path to the Krusty Krab is also missing.