"I Was a Teenage Gary" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from Season 1. In this episode, SpongeBob leaves Gary in the care of Squidward and when he gets back, he transforms into a snail after accidentally being injected with snail plasma.
- Gary the Snail
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Squidward Tentacles
- Other jellyfishers
- Clam (mentioned)
- King Neptune (mentioned)
In the beginning of the episode, SpongeBob and Patrick are all set to leave for the Jellyfishing Convention in Ukulele Bottom that weekend. Realizing that he will not be able to take Gary, SpongeBob leaves Gary in Squidward's responsibility.
SpongeBob takes Squidward around his house, telling him that he will have to feed Gary for three days. There are very large cans of snail food with the words "morning," "afternoon," and "night" written on them so that Squidward will be able to keep track. Eager to get rid of both of them, Squidward lies and says that he will do it to get SpongeBob and Patrick to leave. Finally they do, and Squidward runs out of SpongeBob's house and sits in a lounge chair to sunbathe for the whole weekend, thus ignoring Gary. He soaks up plenty of sun, but Gary is left in the house, looking longingly in the direction where SpongeBob left, horribly neglected.
When SpongeBob gets back, Squidward suddenly remembers that he was supposed to take care of Gary. However, when he goes to get to the snail, he finds him very sick, due to lack of food, water, and attention. Squidward, thinking he will be able to help, tries to give Gary some food. However, Gary is so weak from waiting for SpongeBob to come home, he is limp in Squidward's arms and will not eat. Squidward puts Gary down as he hears SpongeBob and Patrick saying goodbye to each other and tries to force feed Gary. When he hears SpongeBob coming in, Squidward gives up and puts all of Gary's food into his mouth. He greets SpongeBob awkwardly and explains that he was only checking on Gary.
Just as Squidward is about to leave with a smirk on his face, Gary slowly enters the room. SpongeBob realizes that something is wrong, and quickly calls the local veterinarian, Dr. Gill Gilliam. He comes over to SpongeBob's house and gives SpongeBob a syringe full of snail plasma. SpongeBob asks Squidward to give Gary the plasma, as he is squeamish, Squidward reluctantly agrees. However, due to the anxious SpongeBob constantly moving Gary around instead of holding him still, Squidward accidentally injects SpongeBob with snail plasma causing SpongeBob to worry about the consequences. Upon realizing that Gary only needed water, Squidward leaves telling SpongeBob not to worry because he's fine after SpongeBob tells Squidward what's going to happen to him now that is injected with snail plasma. Sometime later, SpongeBob starts acting slow and somewhat like a snail, as well as eating Gary's food himself after SpongeBob thinks that he's fine like Squidward had said. When he goes to the bathroom, his eyes stretch out of his body and grow, his body becomes flat to the ground, his arms and legs disappear into his body, his body reshapes itself, and he also loses the ability to talk after saying "Something is wrong with meeeeeeeeeow!" As a finished result, SpongeBob has turned into a snail, becoming SnailBob.
Afterwards, he goes over to Squidward's house to get help, but Squidward is terrified of the fact that SpongeBob turned into a snail because of his lousy aim and he throws the snail plasma away and he tries to reassure himself. He hears SnailBob at the door and starts blocking the doors and windows and tries to run and hide from SnailBob as he realizes that he should've taken care of Gary and none of this would ever have happened if he had. SnailBob chases him for help, but Squidward keeps running gaining the ability to run on walls, outside his house starts to bounce, thinking he's under attack which ultimately makes a mess of his house. Amongst the chaos, Squidward accidentally injects himself with the plasma, turning him into a snail as well, becoming Snailward and ironically getting his well-deserved comeuppance for his gross negligence towards Gary.
The ending has Gary, SnailBob, and Snailward meowing to the tune of "Blow the Man Down" on top of a fence. Patrick, who has been awakened and annoyed by this, yells at them to clam up and throws a boot at Snailward, knocking him off the fence while the screen fades to black.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [Title card]
‣ Honolulu March - George K, J Dounfrey, Hans Haider [opening]
‣ Aloha - Dick Stephen Walter [the next morning]
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap [Squidward at the door]
‣ Me for You - George Callert [Squidward not listening to SpongeBob]
• Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [bus arrives]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [Squidward sunbathing]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward tries to feed Gary]
‣ Funeral March - Peter Lea-Cox [Gary's sick]
‣ Dramatic Impact 5 - Ivor Slaney [SpongeBob screams]
‣ Woe is Me! - Richard Myhill ["Squidward, something's wrong with Gary!"]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [snail plasma]
‣ Cello Link (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [Gary coughs]
• Seaweed 1 - Steve Belfer [Squidward tries to give Gary the plasma]
‣ Dream Sequence - Dave Hewson ["I don't know, I feel kind of funny."]
‣ Hawaiian Holiday - Kapono Beamer ["He just needed water?"]
• 12th Street Rag - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob eating snail food]
‣ Curse of Evil 2 [#45] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob beginning to transform into a snail]
‣ Curse of Evil 1 [#43] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob transforming into a snail]
‣ Esta Noche - Hans Ehrlinger [Squidward in bed]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [Squidward screams/Squidward sees SnailBob]
‣ Hawaiian Link (A) - Richard Myhill [The moon shines]
• SpongeBob ScaredyPants - The Ghastly Ones [closing credits]
- This episode is available on the Halloween, Complete 1st Season, Karate Choppers, Nickelodeon Shocktober! Vol. 2, Shocktober!, Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies (Danish and Norwegian only), Karate Cutting, The Sponge Of Terror, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, First 100 Episodes, Holidays with SpongeBob 3-DVD Gift Set, The Complete First Season, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 1, From the Beginning, Part 1, SpookTacular, The First & Second Seasons, Movies & TV Collection, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- This episode is also available on the Halloween VHS tape.
- "I Was a Teenage Gary" was ranked #41 during the Best Day Ever event from November 9–10, 2006.
- "I Was a Teenage Gary" was ranked #12 during the SpongeBob's Top 100 event in the UK and Ireland from June 4-8, 2012.
- Squidward does not seem to recognize Gary in this episode, even though he interacts with him in "Culture Shock," when he introduces Gary to the audience.
- The aftermath of Snail SpongeBob chasing Squidward leaves the latter's house a mess with the wreckage including a portrait of Squidward with by the end of his clarinet stuck in the nose.
- Ironically, the snail plasma item is caught on Squidward's nose a few seconds afterward.
- This episode might be the reason why Gary hates Squidward, as he is the reason Gary almost dies.
- There was a rumor that in the original airing, there was a scene showing Squidward's transformation to a snail. Although, it has been proven to be fake.
- As of June 12, 2016, the deleted scene was confirmed to have been false by a YouTube user named 90sGiveMeGoosebumps, who has a tape with the original airing of this episode. In fact, as further proof, he also uploaded a clip of All That cast member Lori Beth Denberg introducing this episode as brand new.
- The so-called deleted scene was never drawn in the storyboard of this episode.
- In the console version of the Lights, Camera, Pants! video game, there is an art gallery with a painting that is based on this episode.
- This is the first episode to have a time card to mark how long time has gone by.
- The "3 Days Later..." time card isn't read, because Stephen Hillenburg thought it would be funny to have the French Narrator read over it, thus this is the case starting with "SB-129."
- This is the first episode in which Gary plays a major role.
- It is unknown how SpongeBob and Squidward recovered from the incident, though it's likely the snail plasma eventually wore off.
- This episode marks the first usage of Part 4 of the APM track "House of Horror." However, only the ending is briefly heard just before Part 5 begins.
- This was Steve Fonti's last time working on SpongeBob SquarePants until "The Hankering" 20 years later.
- This was also Chris Mitchell's last episode until the season 4 episode "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture," and his last as a storyboard artist.
- In the Latin Spanish dub, the episode name is "Un buen vecino," which translates to "A good neighbor."
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Ślimaczy weekend," which translates to "The Snail Weekend."
- In the Croatian dub, the episode name is "Kad sam bio Slavko," which translates to "When I was Gary."
- In the Japanese dub, the episode name is 「ガリーの病気」, which translates to "Sick Gary." This does not make any reference to the snail transformations.
- Nickelodeon broadcasts this episode, "Scaredy Pants" and "The Legend of Boo-Kini Bottom" on October only, making all three episodes extremely rare to find on TV, since they're Halloween-themed episodes. The same is also true for "Christmas Who?" and "It's a SpongeBob Christmas!", since both are Christmas-themed episodes and are only broadcast during the Christmas season.
- In the Gary-A-Thon, it was originally going to be paired up with "Gary Takes a Bath," but was replaced with "Missing Identity."
- This is the first episode where Squidward Tentacles has been house-sitting Gary.
- Mr. Krabs and Plankton are the only 2 male main characters absent in this episode. All 4 female main characters are also absent in this episode. The first time this occurred was in "Home Sweet Pineapple."
- On the November 10, 2006 airing, this episode was paired with "Neptune's Spatula."
- The title of this episode is a reference to the 1957 classic horror movie I Was a Teenage Werewolf, which was riffed on the cult classic show Mystery Science Theater 3000.
- The song that Gary, SpongeBob, and Squidward sing is "Blow the Man Down," which is what the show's theme song is based on.
- When SpongeBob plays fetch with Gary, there is a watch on his arm, but when Gary returns the fetch toy back to SpongeBob, it is gone permanently for the rest of the episode.
- When Gary returns with the ball, the exercise wheel is no longer there.
- There are a few errors in the scene where Squidward is going to sunbathe.
- SpongeBob's house is missing a window and the chimney.
- Squidward's house's eyebrows and nose are connected.
- Squidward's model is off and his height is larger than usual.
- Gary would have mostly likely died of starvation since Squidward forgot to feed him for 3 days.
- When Squidward says, "Eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat! You've gotta finish this food!," Gary lip syncs to what Squidward is saying.
- When SpongeBob gets home from the jellyfishing convention, he sticks his key in a scallop-shaped keyhole on his front door, but when he opens the door and enters his house, the keyhole disappears.
- When the camera cuts to the living room, just before Squidward answers the door for SpongeSnail, if one were to observe carefully, there's a picture on the wall that resembles the top half of Squidward's head with huge eyes. But when Squidward turns on the light, the eyes in the picture shrink and nose crawls up the face.
- When SpongeBob's arm falls off, he says, "It's okay, I'm a lefty anyway," despite the fact that it is his left hand that falls off.
- This can be excused, since in "Neptune's Spatula," he has two left hands.
- When Squidward answers the door for SpongeSnail, the inside of the door has a handle. But after Squidward's house flips and everything is a wreck, the door has a knob.
- Also, when Squidward freaks out as he first sees SpongeSnail, he barricades his front door using some wood and nails. However, when Squidward runs up the wall next to the door, the wood is gone.
- Squidward throws the snail plasma earlier in the episode and it makes a breaking sound. However, it is perfectly fine at the end of the episode, as he is injected with it.
- In this episode, the snails are seen sitting on a wooden fence. However, there are no fences near Conch Street.
- In this episode, SpongeBob says that he is left handed. However, in "You Don't Know Sponge" SpongeBob says that he is ambidextrous, meaning that he can use both hands.
- When Squidward leaves SpongeBob's house, Gary's stems turn green instead of blue.