- Video game skiers
- Patrick Star
- Video game Patrick (debut)
- Sandy Cheeks
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles (4 cameos)
- Incidental 116
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 42 (named Percy)
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 45
- Other members of the 7-mile spanking machine
- Chip (debut)
- Penny (debut)
- Used Napkin (debut)
- Giant clam
- Incidental 80
- Gorilla (debut)
- Gary the Snail (cameo)
- King Neptune (mentioned)
- George (debut)
- Live-action family
The episode begins with Patrick sandboarding, as he crashes into a hill, breaking into pieces. It turns out Patrick is playing a video game, but the same thing that happened to the character in the game soon happens to him. Sandy warns SpongeBob not to play games and board, then SpongeBob begins to board. While sandboarding, SpongeBob does a stunt called "The Grouchy Squidward," with the real Squidward telling SpongeBob not to make moves based around him. While doing this stunt, he almost crashes into a land tree. He then turns around to tell Sandy that everything is fine, but he then loses control of the board and is sent flying. He then begins to plummet to the ground, and Sandy tells him to land on his bottom. SpongeBob does so, but his bottom shatters into many pieces and he is rushed to the hospital.
The Purple Doctorfish says that it took 20 hours to glue it back together and that if he has another similar injury, he may end up in the "iron butt," which is a huge machine on wheels connected to where the butt used to be. SpongeBob goes on "around-the-clock butt patrol," however it seems the entire outside world is out to break his butt, as he passes a football pitch where players are slapped on the butt and a spanking machine.
Eventually, SpongeBob cannot take it anymore and decides to stay home forever with his "potato chip," the "penny" that has never been used, and a "tissue napkin" that has been truly used. Sandy and Patrick ask SpongeBob if he wants to go shuffleboarding again, but he tells them that he will never go outside again. Sandy then says that they will find an activity that is so fun, he will have to go outside. They try a cake that SpongeBob must leave the house to blow out the candles on, jellyfishing, ice-creams, trampolines and even giving an old person a bath, but nothing works. SpongeBob then sings a song about the joys of staying indoors, which makes Sandy very frustrated.
Sandy comes up with a plan to have Patrick put on a gorilla suit and pretend to attack her so that SpongeBob will have to come out and save her. SpongeBob is unconvinced by this and knows it's Patrick, until what appears to be another Patrick Star eating ice cream appears on the scene and questions Sandy to everyone's shock. Sandy questions the second Patrick on him not being in costume, but Patrick reveals that he is in the costume. Sandy asks if he's the real Patrick, then who the other Patrick is. The second Patrick pulls down a zipper, revealing him to be an actual live-action gorilla. He then stuffs the screaming Sandy and Patrick into a bag, attacks them, and beats them up. SpongeBob is horrified by the display, and initially tells his friends he warned them of the danger and does not want to risk going outside to save them, but Chip 'reminds him' that if it was him being attacked by a gorilla, Sandy and Patrick would try to save him.
Convinced by this, SpongeBob finally leaves the safety of his home to save his friends, but the gorilla grabs him and splits him in half. Admitting that them being attacked by a gorilla was all his fault, SpongeBob apologizes to his friends for being stubborn on coming outside and admits he's over it while terrified of gorillas. They forgive him and say that they are terrified of gorillas as well. When SpongeBob asks how a gorilla can exist underwater, the gorilla, who reveals that he can talk, tries to explain before calling his friend George, and he rides on him to flee the scene as SpongeBob's two halves, Sandy, and Patrick watch him and George ride away into the sunset. After they watch the horse and the gorilla run off, a live-action family, who stares at each other in confusion, turns off the TV to end the episode.
- Patrick and Sandy unsuccessfully attempting to get SpongeBob to go outside.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Honolulu March - Hans Haider [Title card]
‣ Full of Beans - Robert Schreier [opening]
‣ Lovely Scenery C - Mladen Franko ["Look out for that tree!"]
‣ Tympup A - John Fiddy, Sammy Burdson [SpongeBob trips and goes flying off the mountain]
‣ On Fire - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob falling]
‣ Hawaiian Link (B) - Richard Myhill [at the hospital]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [butt patrol]
‣ Country Girl [#30] - Beth Anne Clayton, Martyn Laight ["Yeah! Ride 'em, cowboy!"]
‣ Waddle Cop - David Farnon [SpongeBob says he is never leaving his house again]
‣ Paradise Isle - Jan Rap ["No, Patrick's right, Sandy."]
‣ Nostalgic Hawaii - George de Fretes, Jan Rap [jellyfishing]
‣ Chief Taravana - Kapono Beamer [trying to get SpongeBob to come outside]
‣ Stack of Leis - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob filter feeding]
• War Blowers - The Blue Hawaiians [Patrick in a gorilla costume]
• Bula Bula Bob - Nicolas Carr ["Hey, Sandy."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (H) - Ronald Hanmer ["A real gorilla!"]
• 12th Street Rag - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [gorilla attacks Sandy, Patrick]
‣ Dramatic Climax - Mike Sunderland [SpongeBob nervously opening his door]
‣ Against The Law (C) - Wilfred William Burns [paper blows onto SpongeBob's face]
‣ Unpreventable - Gregor F. Narholz [gorilla rips SpongeBob in half]
‣ Calling All Clowns - David Lindup [ending]
- This episode is available on the Tales from the Deep, Complete 3rd Season, First 100 Episodes, SpookTacular, Sportingly Sandy, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 5, The Ultimate Box Set, Exposed!: The Ultimate Box Set, The Underwater Stories, Really Big Box Set, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, 2-Season TV Pack, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Double Feature Volume 3, Complete Third Season, From the Beginning, Part 2, The Third & Fourth Seasons, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- This episode is also available on the Bikini Bottom Bash! and Tales from the Deep VHS tapes.
- "I Had an Accident" was ranked #50 during the Best Day Ever event from November 9–10, 2006.
- "I Had an Accident" was ranked #80 during the SpongeBob's Top 100 event in the UK and Ireland from June 4-8, 2012.
- This episode was Frank Weiss' last episode as an animation director.
- However, he returned to the series eighteen years after this episode was produced, to work on The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run.
- To date, this is the last episode to use the APM track "Paradise Isle", and the original track "War Blowers."
- This is the only season 3 episode to use the track "Stack of Leis."
- A clip from this episode was used during Nicktoons bumpers in 2017.
- On October 4, 2020, Nick celebrated the 17th anniversary of this episode by posting on Twitter "On this day in 2003: We met chip, penny, and used napkin."
- An alternate name for this episode is "Safety Freak SpongeBob." Some television guides, such as Dish Network, use this title. It is known on Charter and Foxtel as simply "Safety Freak."
- The Comcast description of the episode calls the episode "Safety Freak (I Had an Accident)." It is unknown why Comcast would put "I Had an Accident" in parentheses in the title.
- The title card for this episode is similar to the title cards of "Opposite Day" and "Can You Spare a Dime?"
- Patrick's screams at the beginning are re-used sound bytes from "Scaredy Pants" and "Hooky."
- The gorilla is voiced by Frank Welker and the horse is voiced by Dee Bradley Baker.
- The live-action woman in the family at the end of the episode is played by Dale Waddington.
- This is the first episode to have a "The End" card.
- Sand Mountain makes its second appearance in the show, the first being "Prehibernation Week."
- Before airing in October 2003 in the United States, two clips were used for an event called Nickelodeon LunchToon in Nickelodeon Australia.
- This is the third time SpongeBob is split in half. This previously happened in "Texas" and "Procrastination."
- When this episode first premiered, it aired first, instead of its sister episode. In other airings, and in production order, the episode segment order is reversed.
- As of 2021, this is the last episode to use music by the Blue Hawaiians.
- In the Monday Knight Slimetime marathon, this episode was paired up with "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV."
- Apparently, Squidward is busy watering his plants and didn't seem to be aware that the gorilla was out there, nor did the gorilla attack him.
- SpongeBob forgets to ask what the horse is doing underwater before the two flee.
- When SpongeBob is ripped in half, his second half only has one line, which is "What?" before SpongeBob asks what a gorilla is doing underwater.
- This is the second time SpongeBob acts like Squidward. the first is "Opposite Day."
- One of the sounds the gorilla makes is a stock sound effect that was also used as a voice clip for Donkey Kong in the Mario Kart and Mario Party series.
- This is Sandy’s second major role in Season 3, the first being "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V."
- "Yellow sand" is an underwater equivalent to "yellow snow," since "Sand Mountain" is basically a Bikini Bottom version of a real-life snowy mountain.
- The Portable Gaming System (PGS) Patrick is holding looks similar to a Nintendo Game Boy Color.
- Percy and Nat are seen playing football, but in the next scene, they are seen in the seven-mile spanking machine.
- SpongeBob appears with bones in this episode, even though sponges do not have bones in real life, and he does not appear to have bones in other episodes.
- When Patrick and Sandy enter SpongeBob's house, Patrick's right eyebrow flickers red for a fraction of a second.
- When SpongeBob says, "No problem," Penny, Used Napkin, and Chip are missing.
- When SpongeBob uses the really long spatula, the Krusty Krab clam sign is missing.
- Additionally, the spatula appears to stick into the right side of the restaurant when shown from the exterior. In the next shot, it is coming from the left side.
- When Patrick closes SpongeBob's door, his arm goes right through it.
- Near the middle of the episode, SpongeBob talks before his mouth moves.
- Before the dust-collecting scene, SpongeBob's window is a circle, but after it is oval-shaped.
- Just before the old person says "I say we take a bath," SpongeBob's socks are missing.
- When the old fish says, "I say we take a bath," the outside of SpongeBob's pineapple house is smooth instead of its normal texture.
- The gorilla is slightly translucent in some scenes, but opaque in others.
- When SpongeBob is holding up Used Napkin, the penny reads 0¢ instead of 1¢.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|