- Video game skiers
- Patrick Star
- Video game Patrick (debut)
- Sandy Cheeks
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles (4 cameos)
- Dr. Gill Gilliam
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 45
- Other members of the 7-mile spanking machine
- Chip (debut)
- Penny (debut)
- Used Napkin (debut)
- Giant clam
- Old Man Jenkins
- Gorilla (debut)
- Gary the Snail (cameo)
- King Neptune (mentioned)
- George (debut)
- Live-action family
The episode begins with Patrick sandboarding, as he crashes into a hill, breaking into pieces. It turns out Patrick was playing a video game, but the same thing that happened to the character soon happens to him. Sandy warns SpongeBob not to play games and board, then SpongeBob begins to board. While sandboarding, SpongeBob does a stunt called "The Grouchy Squidward," with the real Squidward telling SpongeBob not to make moves based around him. While doing this stunt, he almost crashes into a land tree. He then turns around to tell Sandy that everything is fine, but he then loses control of the board and is sent flying. He then begins to plummet to the ground, and Sandy tells him to land on his bottom. SpongeBob does so, but his bottom shatters into many pieces and he is rushed to the hospital.
The Purple Doctorfish says that it took 20 hours to glue it back together and that if he has another similar injury, he may end up in the "iron butt" which is a huge machine on wheels connected to where the butt used to be. SpongeBob goes on "around-the-clock butt patrol," however it seems the entire outside world is out to break his butt, as he passes a football pitch where players are slapped on the butt and a spanking machine.
Eventually, SpongeBob cannot take it anymore and decides to stay home forever with his "potato chip," the "penny" that has never been used, and a "tissue napkin" that has been truly used. Sandy and Patrick ask SpongeBob if he wants to go shuffleboarding again, but he tells them he will never go outside again. Sandy then says they will find an activity that is so fun, he will have to go outside. They try a cake that SpongeBob must leave the house to blow out the candles on, jellyfishing, ice-creams, trampolines and even giving an old person a bath, but nothing works. SpongeBob then sings a song about the joys of staying indoors, which makes Sandy very frustrated.
Sandy comes up with a plan to have Patrick put on a gorilla suit, and pretend to attack her so that SpongeBob will have to come out and save her. SpongeBob is unconvinced by this and knows it's Patrick until what appears to be another Patrick Star eating ice cream appears on the scene and questions Sandy to everyone's shock. Sandy questions the second Patrick on him not being in costume, but Patrick reveals that he is in the costume. Sandy asks if he’s the real Patrick, then who the other Patrick is. The second Patrick pulls down a zipper, revealing him to be an actual live-action gorilla. He then stuffs the screaming Sandy and Patrick into a bag, attacks them, and beats them up. SpongeBob is horrified by the display and initially tells his friends he warned them of the danger and does not want to risk going outside to save them, but Chip 'reminds him' that if it was him being attacked by a gorilla, Sandy and Patrick would try to save him.
Convinced by this, SpongeBob finally leaves the safety of his home to save his friends, but the gorilla grabs him and splits in half. SpongeBob apologizes to his friends for being stubborn on coming outside and admits he's over it while terrified of gorillas. They forgive him and say that they are terrified of gorillas as well. When SpongeBob asks how a gorilla can exist underwater, the gorilla, who reveals that he can talk, tries to explain before calling his friend George and rides on him to flee the scene as SpongeBob's two halves, Sandy, and Patrick watch him and George ride away into the sunset. After they watch the horse and the gorilla run off, a live-action family, who stares at each other in confusion, turns off the TV, ending the episode.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Honolulu March - Hans Haider [Title card]
‣ Full of Beans - Robert Schreier [opening]
‣ Lovely Scenery (c) - Mladen Franko ["Look out for that tree!"]
‣ Tympup A - John Fiddy, Sammy Burdson [SpongeBob trips and goes flying off the mountain]
‣ On Fire - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob falling]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [at the hospital]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [butt patrol]
‣ Country Girl [#30] - Beth Anne Clayton, Martyn Laight ["Yeah! Ride 'em, cowboy!"]
‣ Waddle Cop - David Farnon [SpongeBob says he is never leaving his house again]
‣ Paradise Isle - Jan Rap ["No, Patrick's right, Sandy."]
‣ Nostalgic Hawaii - George de Fretes, Jan Rap [jellyfishing]
‣ Chief Taravana - Kapono Beamer [trying to get SpongeBob to come outside]
‣ Stack of Leis - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob filter feeding]
• War Blowers - The Blue Hawaiians [Patrick in a gorilla costume]
‣ Dramatic Cue (h) - Ronald Hanmer ["A real gorilla!"]
• 12th Street Rag 3 - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [gorilla attacks Sandy, Patrick]
‣ Dramatic Climax - Mike Sunderland [SpongeBob nervously opening his door]
‣ Against the Law (c) - Wilfred William Burns [paper blows onto SpongeBob's face]
‣ Unpreventable - Gregor F. Narholz [gorilla rips SpongeBob in half]
‣ Calling All Clowns - David Lindup [ending]
- This episode is available on the Tales from the Deep, Complete 3rd Season, First 100 Episodes, SpookTacular, Sportingly Sandy, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 5, The Ultimate Box Set, Exposed!: The Ultimate Box Set, Really Big Box Set, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, Double Feature Volume 3, Complete Third Season, From the Beginning, Pt.2, The Third & Fourth Seasons, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- This episode is available on the Bikini Bottom Bash! and Tales from the Deep VHS tapes.
- "I Had an Accident" was ranked #50 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- The episode was available on the Tales from the Deep DVD and Bikini Bottom Bash! VHS, released on January 28, 2003, nine months before it aired on television.
- This was Frank Weiss' last episode as an animation director.
- He is confirmed to be working on The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run.
- This is the only episode in season 3 to use the track "Stack of Leis."
- This is the last episode to air before SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom.
- An alternate name for this episode is "Safety Freak SpongeBob." Some television guides, such as Dish Network, use this title. It is known on Charter and Foxtel as simply "Safety Freak."
- The Comcast description of the episode calls the episode "Safety Freak (I Had an Accident)." It is unknown why Comcast would put "I Had an Accident" in parentheses in the title.
- On old YTV airings of this episode, it was originally listed as its former title, but, for unknown reasons, the YTV listings changed the title back to "Safety Freak" in 2013.
- The title card is similar to "Opposite Day" and "Can You Spare a Dime?"
- The part where Patrick screams at the beginning uses sound bytes from both "Hooky" and "Scaredy Pants."
- SpongeBob's fear of danger outside his home is irrational enough to be considered agoraphobia.
- SpongeBob's reclusive actions are similar to Howard Hughes, although Hughes never left his house because he was afraid of outside germs, not injuries.
- The gorilla is voiced by Frank Welker and the horse is voiced by Dee Bradley Baker, both of which are famous for providing animal noises in TV shows.
- The live-action woman in the family at the end of the episode is played by Dale Waddington.
- This is the first episode to have a "The End card."
- Sand Mountain makes its second appearance in the show, the first being "Prehibernation Week."
- Before airing in late 2003 in the United States, two clips were used for an event called Nickelodeon LunchToon in Nickelodeon Australia.
- This is the third episode where SpongeBob is split in half. The first two were "Texas" and "Procrastination."
- In the Monday Knight Slimetime marathon, this episode was paired up with "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV."
- When the video game Patrick is flying towards a sand mountain, his sled and his bucket helmet fall off, although the helmet disappears abruptly while falling off without shrinking completely or going off-screen.
- It's likely that the bucket fell to the background.
- When Patrick is about to hit the sand mountain for the second time, his sled and his bucket helmet disappear.
- Like the game, they came off but unlike the game, they came off offscreen.
- "Yellow sand" is an underwater equivalent to "yellow snow," since "Sand Mountain" is basically a Bikini Bottom version of a real-life snowy mountain.
- The Portable Gaming System (PGS) Patrick is holding looks similar to a Nintendo Game Boy Color.
- Percy and Nat are seen playing football, but in the next scene, they are seen in the seven-mile spanking machine.
- When Patrick and Sandy enter SpongeBob's house, Patrick's right eyebrow flickers red for a fraction of a second.
- When SpongeBob says, "No problem," Penny, Used Napkin, and Chip are missing.
- When SpongeBob uses the really long spatula, the Krusty Krab clam sign is missing.
- When Patrick closes SpongeBob's door, his arm goes right through it.
- Near the middle of the episode, SpongeBob talks before his mouth moves.
- Before the dust-collecting scene, SpongeBob's window is a circle, but after it is oval-shaped.
- Just before the old person says "I say we take a bath," SpongeBob's socks are missing.
- When the old fish says, "I say we take a bath," the outside of SpongeBob's pineapple house is smooth instead of its normal texture.
- The gorilla is slightly translucent in some scenes but opaque in others.
- SpongeBob's x-ray appears to have bones, despite him being a sponge.
- When SpongeBob is holding up Used Napkin the penny reads 0¢ instead of 1¢.
- Patrick and Sandy unsuccessfully attempting to get SpongeBob to go outside.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|