- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Kevin C. Cucumber (debut)
- Jimmy Gus
- Debbie Rechid
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Tyler (debut)
- Shelly Fishbowl
- Officer Johnson
- Frankie Billy
- Martha Smith
- Norma Rechid
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Dr. Manowar (debut)
- Big Lenny (picture only) (debut)
- Tina Fran
- Nat Peterson
- Nathiel Waters
- Jeffrey the Jellyfish (debut)
- Purple Doctorfish (cameo)
- Other jellyfishers
SpongeBob and Patrick are attending the Biannual Jellyfish Convention. Patrick takes pleasure in touching every display in sight, much to the ire of the security guard. SpongeBob,
meanwhile, focuses on the "Jellyspotters," a famous jellyfish enthusiast club, and fawns over its leader, Kevin the Sea Cucumber. At first, Kevin rebuffs SpongeBob's adoration. However, after realizing that SpongeBob will go to any lengths to please him, Kevin decides to let him try out for the Jellyspotters, thinking his antics will make for a good laugh.
Kevin's first test for SpongeBob is to catch a jellyfish, which proves quite simple for SpongeBob as one immediately flies into his net. Kevin smacks it out in annoyance, causing it to sting him. He revises the quota to two jellyfish, and two jellyfish nestle into SpongeBob's net. Even an increase to 20 jellyfish simply prompts more of them to arrive. Kevin angrily kicks the net, inciting the wrath of the jellyfish. Undeterred, Kevin continues to give SpongeBob many more tests, all of which SpongeBob passes effortlessly while Kevin gets stung relentlessly.
Kevin, covered in stings and extremely frustrated, tells SpongeBob that his final test will be to catch a queen jellyfish. He then ties SpongeBob to a post, provides him a whistle that produces a "Queen Jellyfish call" which sounds much like the word "loser" and leaves him there.
After a great length of time blowing the call, SpongeBob is very tired and prepared to give up before a queen jellyfish finally arrives. SpongeBob's joy is short-lived as he discovers Kevin has gone and the large jellyfish begins chasing him. Eventually, the queen corners him at the edge of a cliff, where it is revealed to be a robot piloted by Kevin and the anchovy club members. Kevin reveals his true intentions to SpongeBob and shows him several other people at the bottom of the pit below, all of whom were his former "biggest fans."
Kevin and his crew start calling SpongeBob a loser. However, before Kevin can force SpongeBob off the cliff, an even larger king jellyfish appears and falls in love with the robot queen. Puckering up for a kiss, the king pursues the contraption until it crashes and reveals its occupants. The furious king chases down SpongeBob, Kevin, and the anchovies, eventually cornering them in a cave. Kevin panics, admitting that he has no actual expertise in dealing with jellyfish and that he was only in it for the fashion. SpongeBob, the only one brave enough to confront the king jellyfish, blows for him a giant pie bubble, which the king happily accepts and leaves with. When an incredulous Kevin asks how he was able to do it, SpongeBob simply tells him that everybody loves pie. The anchovies cheer SpongeBob for his heroism, but Kevin denies SpongeBob club membership for not actually catching a queen jellyfish. Having had enough of Kevin's attitude, the anchovies forcibly remove Kevin's crown and place it atop SpongeBob. SpongeBob is amazed by his new hat, Kevin painfully informing him that's not what it is.
Back at the convention, SpongeBob tells Patrick about his experience and reveals that he turned down the Jellyspotters' offer to join; jellyfishing is, most of all, about the jellyfish themselves. Patrick remarks upon how much SpongeBob has matured regarding hero worship, and they depart with Patrick's own hero, Jeffrey the Jellyfish, tied up in a wagon with a sad look on his face.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Candy Floss - Peter Dennis [opening]
‣ Awakening Memories - Paul Fenoulhet [The Jellyspotters]
‣ Witty Fellow - Gerhard Trede [Kevin answering questions]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch ["Look, I won't let the guy join the club."]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["I'd love it!"]
‣ Alex on the Road - Steven Simmons [driving through Jellyfish Fields]
‣ Me for You - George Callert [SpongeBob passing Kevin's tests]
‣ Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [montage of Kevin getting stung]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [catching a queen jellyfish]
‣ The Great White - Gregor F. Narholz [queen jellyfish appears]
‣ Action Cut (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [Kevin's gone]
‣ Killer on the Run A - Gregor F. Narholz [queen jellyfish chases SpongeBob]
‣ Witty Fellow - Gerhard Trede [Kevin inside robot jellyfish]
‣ Rule Britannia (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [king jellyfish appears]
‣ Good Bye Samba A - Ben Nabor ["Kissy face!"]
‣ Killer on the Run A - Gregor F. Narholz [Jellyspotters hide in a cave]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield ["It's hopeless! We're trapped!"]
‣ Triumphant Return 1 - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob blows a pie-shaped bubble]
‣ Witty Fellow - Gerhard Trede [Kevin's scalp ripped off/Transition to next scene]
‣ Candy Floss - Peter Dennis [ending]
- This episode is available on the Fear of a Krabby Patty, Complete 2nd Season, First 100 Episodes, Christmas Who? and I'm Your Biggest Fan DVDs.
- Although this episode premiered in 2001, it was made in 2000 according to the credits.
- This episode premiered in Canada on May 11, 2001.
- This is the first of four episodes transcribed as a comic into the SpongeBob SquarePants/Tokyopop book Tales From Bikini Bottom. The other three were "Home Sweet Pineapple," "F.U.N." and "Prehibernation Week".
- Big Lenny appears in the PC game Operation Krabby Patty as an enemy in the jellyfishing level.
- Fred can be seen in the bottom of the pit with one of his legs bent out of shape, referencing his frequent "My leg!" line.
- Both of the gloves SpongeBob uses to punch himself were reused in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie video game.
- Lists of tests Kevin gave to SpongeBob:
- Catch a jellyfish
- Catch two jellyfish
- Catch twenty jellyfish
- Allow jellyfish to eat jelly off your face
- Catch a jellyfish blindfolded
- Catch a jellyfish while standing on your head
- Catch a queen jellyfish
- Six other tests
- A statue of Kevin can be seen in the consoles version of Nicktoons Unite!
- "Kevin's Ointment" billboards are seen throughout the episode and they are also seen in a few SpongeBob SquarePants video games.
- SpongeBob states that he has never seen a queen jellyfish before, but he did in "Jellyfishing."
- This episode reveals that there is more than one queen jellyfish.
- This episode premiered on Rik Mayall's 43rd birthday.
- This is the second time SpongeBob attends a jellyfish convention after the one held in Ukulele Bottom in "I Was a Teenage Gary". This convention cannot be the one from the latter as the convention held here is biannual, while the Ukulele Bottom convention is annual.
- Manowar is a spoof of the Portuguese man o' war, an invertebrate that is similar to a jellyfish.
- A banner in the background of the convention says, "Got Stung?," a reference to the former "Got Milk?" campaign.
- In some recent airings, the title card was not shown.
- During the opening credits, when credited as "storyboard artist," he is credited as Williams Reiss, but back to William Reiss without one of the "S" in the "written by" section of the credits.
- If one were to listen closely in current airings, the title card music is slightly quieter in the beginning, then goes to the normal volume at the end.
- During the end credits, when Sirena Irwin's name is shown, her last name is accidentally spelled Irwn.
- Kevin said that he doesn't use bamboo for the jellyfish nets. However, he and the anchovies use bamboo nets when they are in Jellyfish Fields.
- After Kevin and the anchovies laugh at SpongeBob in one scene, Kevin's voice changes.
- After Kevin was stung by 20 jellyfish, one anchovy saying "wah, wah, waaah," was heard, but none of the five anchovies accompanying Kevin were opening their mouths.
- In one shot, the sky is red due to the sunset at Bikini Atoll, but in next shot underwater, the sky is blue.
- When the queen jellyfish hits the billboard and crashes, there is jelly coming out of the bottom, despite the fact that it is a robot.
- After Kevin's crown is stung, one anchovy's eyes disappear when the jellyfish swims by it.
- SpongeBob has five fingers when he is holding an iron boxing glove.
- Patrick touching stuff, with the security guard telling him not to.
- One of the anchovies saying, "Wah, wah, waaah" after Kevin gets stung, and Kevin getting shocked by jellyfish.
- SpongeBob asking if he is in the Jellyspotters, with Kevin replying that he is not, while getting stung by jellyfish.