- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Gary the Snail
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 23 (name revealed)
- Mr. Magic (debut)
- French narrator
- Incidental 154
- Squidward Tentacles
- Rasputin (mentioned)
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 63
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 103
- Incidental 6
- Squidward the Ice Cream Cone (debut)
- Incidental 108
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 155
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 68
- Incidental 29
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 16
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 24
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 9
- Other beachgoers
- Patrick Star
- Horace B. Magic (debut)
- Mr. Magic's security (debut)
- Motorcyclist (debut)
- King Neptune (mentioned)
SpongeBob is preparing popcorn for himself and Gary. The popcorn flies into his living room and he settles down to watch television, when a commercial comes on for a magic kit, which SpongeBob decides to order.
4 to 6 weeks later, SpongeBob receives the kit in the mail and decides to show Squidward his skills in the magical arts. He tries to demonstrate a card trick to Squidward, but the latter heads out of Bikini Bottom on a bus passing by. Meanwhile, a boatmobile passing by with Monroe Timmy was upset because his ice cream cone was pistachio and his father couldn't understand why he got pistachio when he asked for it. Sooner the boat mobile hits a crack and the kid's pistachio ice cream cone flies and lands onto Squidward's chair. Because of this, SpongeBob thinks he has turned Squidward into an ice cream cone, and promises him that he will still be able to live a normal life.
Some time later at Goo Lagoon, SpongeBob notices the Squidward ice cream cone is melting, forcing SpongeBob to rush it home and puts the Squidward ice cream cone in the freezer. Patrick shows up and SpongeBob explains what has happened to him. Patrick attempts to eat the Squidward ice cream cone, but the Squidward ice cream cone melts. Just then, SpongeBob realizes that Mr. Magic can help them, so he and Patrick pay him a visit.
The floating fish head tells them that he cannot help SpongeBob, and then Patrick notices a leg sticking out from behind a curtain. Behind the curtain, a fish is talking into a microphone, and saying exactly what Mr. Magic is saying. The fish claims he is technically Mr. Magic, but he cannot help SpongeBob. SpongeBob is angry because of this, and exclaims loudly that his faith in the magical arts is ruined, before Mr. Magic gets security to kick SpongeBob and Patrick out.
Back in the neighborhood, SpongeBob is still grieving, when Squidward shows up, making SpongeBob believe he really is magic. Squidward then runs away, yet again. Patrick later requests SpongeBob to turn him into a jar of mayonnaise. SpongeBob does so, and amazingly, it works.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Happy SpongeBob - Nicolas Carr [Title card]
• You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob making popcorn]
‣ The Two Ronnies - Alan Tew [TV show]
‣ Fly by Night - Montague Ewing [Mr. Magic commercial]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob goes to the post office]
• Steel Licks 8 - Jeremy Wakefield [Mailman arrives]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob shoved into mailbox]
‣ Star Premiere - Sammy Burdson, John Fiddy ["Here it is: Mr. Magic's Magical Magic Kit!"]
• Steel Licks 14 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Look at all this!"]
‣ Whisky Sour - David Morse [plays on radio]
• Gator - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob's card trick]
‣ Hey Buddy - Nino Nardini [SpongeBob juggling]
‣ Slippery Sid - Roger Roger ["I don't like pistachio!"]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [ice cream cone lands on Squidward's chair]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer ["My simple card trick has turned you into an ice cream cone!"]
‣ Circus Flourish C - Daniel Jean Jeannin ["I am a level ten wizard!"]
• Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Presto!"]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob gasps]
‣ Drama Link (e) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob trying to change Squidward back]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, I am so sorry, Squidward."]
‣ Hula Festival - George Elliott [SpongeBob and "Squidward" at the movies]
‣ Lighting The Fuse (b) - Dick Walter [ice cream starting to melt]
‣ Rescue - Cecil Milner [ice cream melting]
‣ Trombone Cha Cha - Don Lusher ["Hey, Squidward, I got something for ya."]
‣ Toy Soldiers - Ron Aspery ["I promise to stand by as an eternal guard over my buddy."]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield ["I have turned poor Squidward into a frozen dessert."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (d) - Ronald Hanmer ["Patrick! Stop eating Squidward!"/"Patrick!"/"Pat...!"/SpongeBob screams]
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen [ice cream melts]
‣ Dramatic Cue (h) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob screams]
‣ Dramatic Cue (f) - Ronald Hanmer ["Patrick, Squidward has melted!"]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hey, that's it!"]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr [Mr. Magic's address]
‣ Fairies A - John Fox, Otto Sieben [brown tile road]
‣ The Quest (a) - Will Schaefer ["ENTER!"]
• Doom Gong - Nicolas Carr ["ENTER!"]
‣ The Haunted Castle - Paddy Kingsland ["Who dares to see Mr. Magic?!"]
• Unknown Vibe Links - Nicolas Carr [melted ice cream in jar]
‣ Furtive Footsteps - Paddy Kingsland ["Have you ever thought of a different hobby?"]
• Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Mr. Magic's a fake]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob, Patrick kicked out]
‣ Hawaiian Breeze - Jon Jelmer [SpongeBob crying]
• SpongeBob Theme II - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Squidward, you're back!"]
• Born to be Dumb - Nicolas Carr [motorcycle]
• Hokus Pokus End Sting - Nicolas Carr [ending]
- This episode is available on the Season 4 Volume 2, The Third & Fourth Seasons, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, First 100 Episodes, Promotional DVD given with every McDonald's Happy Meal, From the Beginning, Pt.2, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 6, Complete Fourth Season, and Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies (Turkish) DVDs.
- This episode was released on the Season 4 Volume 2 DVD box set six days before it aired on American television.
- It reveals in this episode that the short blue fish with a red swimming suit's name is "Charlie."
- This episode marks the first appearance of the Bikini Bottom Post Office.
- The things that SpongeBob gets from the Mr. Magic's Magical Kit are a book of spells, a wand of whimsy, a beard of Rasputin, and the all-important license to practice magic.
- It is revealed that Monroe Timmy doesn't like pistachio or mint ice cream.
- Horace B. Magic's talking machine, his stool, and the foot that is in front of the curtain appear on the episode selection pages on the second disc of the Season 4 Volume 2 DVD set and the fourth disc of The Complete Fourth Season DVD set.
- This is the first time where SpongeBob wears his blue swim trunks outside of Goo Lagoon.
- This is the first episode to play "SpongeBob Theme II."
- The title of this episode is a reference to the 1993 Disney movie Hocus Pocus.
- When SpongeBob opens the box with the magic supplies, he takes out the beard and exclaims, "The beard of Rasputin!" This is a reference to Grigori Rasputin, the adviser to the Russian crown who had claimed to be a magician.
- The Brown Tile Road is an homage to the Yellow Brick Road in The Wizard of Oz.
- When SpongeBob yells "Patrick! Stop eating Squidward!," his teeth turn yellow for a split second.
- When SpongeBob checks out the Magic Kit, his socks are missing.
- When Frank the Goldfish slides on the pistachio ice cream on the beach blanket, SpongeBob gets it and puts the pistachio back together to get the foot trail away. In the following scene, the pistachio still has the foot trail.
- When SpongeBob puts the pink ice cream in with the pistachio ice cream, one can see it has a foot trail to the right, but when Patrick takes it out, it goes to the left.
- When Patrick finds the curtain leading to Horace, there is a piece of wood sticking out through the curtain that leads Patrick to open the curtain. However, once the curtain is opened, the elongated piece of wood disappears.
- In the shot of SpongeBob opening the magic kit, he's in his cylinder shape from the mailbox. In the next shot after the closeup of the magic kit, he's back to his square shape.
- When SpongeBob asks Squidward if he can turn him into something else, Patrick's cheeks are far out from his mouth.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|