- Dennis (citizen)
- Martha Smith
- Billy (lime fish)
- Jennifer Millie (normal; Charlie-colored)
- Sheldon (fish)
- Vera Fishbowl
- Nat Peterson
- Cara (normal; blue)
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Frankie Billy
- Norma Rechid (normal; Abigail Marge-colored)
- Paco (normal; kid version)
- Miss Shell
- Medley Fishbowl
- Nathiel Waters
- Tina Fran
- Abigail Marge
- Ivy (gray)
- Jimmy Gus
- Perch Perkins
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Daydream SpongeBob Statue
- Gary the Snail
- Monroe Timmy
- Daydream Monroe Timmy
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Taylor Fishbowl
- Frank (red shirt)
- Patrick Star
- Squidina's mother
- Bubble Bass
- Gale Rechid
- Harold (red fish)
- Shelly Fishbowl
- Patty Rechid (cameo)
- Susie Rechid
- Miss Rechid
- Old Man Jenkins (green and blue)
- King Neptune (Old Man Jenkins) (debut)
- Old Man Walker
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott
- Phil (yellow)
- Sandy Cheeks (cameo)
- Squidward Tentacles (cameo)
- Farmer fish (debut)
- Green camper (debut)
- Husband fish (debut)
- Wife fish (debut)
- Elderly whale (debut)
- Poseidon (mentioned)
- Yellow business fish (debut)
- Pigtails girl (debut)
- Violet girl (debut)
- Some of the elderly fish from "Old Man Patrick"
- Fiasco's (possible) grandfather (debut)
- Frank (lifeguard)
- Mevis (very small)
- King Neptune
- Seahorse carrier (debut)
A crowd surrounds SpongeBob's house as he is ready to become the first sponge to dive up to the surface. SpongeBob then proceeds to jump on the diving board, but gravity pulls him down to the ground and the crowd leaves. As SpongeBob wonders why he could not go up, Sandy states that SpongeBob requires anti-gravity to go up, so SpongeBob uses balloons to dive up to the surface. SpongeBob almost reaches the surface, but is halted by the Great Pacific garbage patch that suddenly appears. He sticks his feet onto the surface of the patch and discovers many items within the garbage patch, with a few also being thrown at him.
The items float down to Bikini Bottom, and the citizens find uses out of these items, including using a comb for a plow and a car pump for a house. Back into the garbage patch, SpongeBob finds that Old Man Jenkins (or King Neptune as he likes to call himself) has been throwing things at SpongeBob. They eventually get in a trash fight and more items float down onto Bikini Bottom. Thinking King Neptune granted them all of these items, the citizens blows balloons in order to hear from King Neptune.
In the garbage patch, it is revealed that Old Man Jenkins was only in the patch because a pack of balloons he got on his birthday floated him up there. SpongeBob suggests to build a ladder to climb down back into Bikini Bottom. Meanwhile, citizens of Bikini Bottom are not finding more objects raining down at them, and they even attempt to sacrifice others just to get these items. However, the ladder SpongeBob made appears at the bottom of Bikini Bottom and the citizens climb up.
Thanks to SpongeBob cleaning the garbage patch to build the ladder, he finally puts his flag onto the surface, and him and Old Man Jenkins climb down. However, thanks to the citizens climbing the ladder, the ladder starts to shake from the weight and eventually topples down onto Bikini Bottom. Old Man Jenkins rises up and says that he is the King of Spit, causing the real King Neptune to appear and confront Jenkins on impersonating him. Neptune proceeds to use his trident to fry the scared old man as punishment for his acts. Mr. Krabs finds SpongeBob, mistakes him for a standee and drives away, as SpongeBob says that the citizens called him a hero.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr ["Perch Perkins' here for Bikini Bottom news."]
‣ Against All Odds - Paul Lawler ["Today, SpongeBob SquarePants will attempt the impossible!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (v) - Jeremy Wakefield [Gary greases SpongeBob's back.]
‣ Proud to be a Fish - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob imagines a statue of himself.]
‣ Steve's March - Sam Spence [SpongeBob trying to lift weights.]
‣ Jovial Pirates Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs selling SpongeBob's souvenirs.]
‣ A Fishy Conversation - Barry Anthony ["Hey, SpongeBob, what's new?"]
‣ Adventure - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob steps to the diving board.]
‣ ? [Drumroll.]
‣ Circus Parade (b) - Dick Walter [SpongeBob jumps off the diving board.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield [Everyone walks away.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I just don't understand it."/"Anti-gravity?"]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [Light bulbs come out of SpongeBob's head.]
‣ Fantasy Caper 1 - Paul Lawler [SpongeBob jumps off the diving board with balloons tied.]
‣ End the Show 1 - Barry Tattenhall ["I'm doing it! I'm doing it!"]
‣ Dinosaurs About - John Fox, Mac Prindy [Sea surface is full of trash.]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm?"]
‣ The Ocean - Gregor Narholz [SpongeBob walking through the trash surface.]
‣ ? [SpongeBob playing comb like an harp.]
‣ The Ocean - Gregor Narholz [SpongeBob continues walking through the trash surface.]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to next scene.]
‣ ? [Nicolas Carr]
‣ Skipping to Hillbilly School - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Farmer puts comb on the back of his tractor.]
‣ Unknown Track 37 - Nicolas Carr ["It's a gift!"]
‣ Boy Scout - Harold Smart [Scouts building a tent.]
‣ Bridal Chorus - Richard Wagner [Married couple arrive at home.]
‣ Four More Comical Cuts - Ronald Hanmer ["I'm sorry, honey. I couldn't afford the whole house, just the door."/Wife's mother is shown.]
‣ This Space for Hire - Sam Fonteyn [SpongeBob sees someone at the trash surface.]
‣ Circus Maximus - Jean-Pierre Fouquey ["Feel my power!"]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Old Man Jenkins?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (c) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm not Old Man Jenkins anymore, I'm King Neptune!"]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Old Man Jenkins throwing trash at each other.]
‣ World of Fantasy - Gregor Narholz [Bikini Bottomites blowing up balloons with messages.]
‣ A Simple Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["You're not Poseidon, you're SpongeBob SquarePants."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (n) - Jeremy Wakefield ["And you're Old Man Jenkins."]
‣ Aloha Oe - Hans Haider, Queen Lili'uokalan [Old Man Jenkins' birthday party at Shady Shoals.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (t) - Jeremy Wakefield [Balloons popping and revealing messages.]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob building a ladder out of garbage.]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer ["Why isn't Neptune sending more gifts down for us?"]
‣ Unknown Track 84 - Choir.
‣ Hawaiian Adventures SpongeBob Theme - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Everyone climbing the ladder.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (r) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob puts the last object into the ladder.]
‣ Achievements in Aviation - Anthony Mawer ["Hey, look at that!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Old Man Jenkins climbing down the ladder.]
‣ Who Said That - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Stop shaking the ladder!"]
‣ Requiem, Sanctus - Giuseppe Verdi ["I think I see him! It's Neptune!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (u) - Jeremy Wakefield [Ladder staggering.]
‣ Porous Pursuit - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["It's Old Man Jenkins!"]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (X) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hey, it's SpongeBob!"]
‣ Caesar's Entry - Gregor Narholz ["Hooray for SpongeBob, he's our hero!"]
‣ Slipping and Sliding Stooges - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Trash ladder collapses.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (s) - Jeremy Wakefield [Everyone stuck in trash pile.]
‣ Salute to Caesar 2 - Gregor Narholz ["I'm King Neptune, king of the seven seas!"]
‣ The Pursuit of Power (a) - Keith Mansfield [Real King Neptune appears.]
‣ The Pursuit of Power (b) - Keith Mansfield [King Neptune zaps Old Man Jenkins.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I smell like toast."]
‣ Sailor's Sting 22 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Ending.]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 18 DVD.
- This episode premiered eight years after SpongeBob, Soccer Star! was published and six years after "Free Samples" premiered.
- This episode premiered in Canada on May 4, 2018, along with its sister episode "Bottle Burglars."
- When this episode originally aired, it was paired with "Bunny Hunt."
- The Great Pacific garbage patch is seen in this episode and acts as a barrier that prevents SpongeBob from reaching the surface of the ocean.
- Despite Mr. Krabs' love of money and his knowledge in business, he is noticeably scammed by Bubble Bass in this episode, agreeing to give away Patrick for half the original price due to Bubble Bass claiming he is damaged (by ripping off Patrick's arm).
- It’s possible that Krabs didn’t notice Bubble Bass ripping Patrick’s arm or just wanted money.
- This is the tenth episode in which, at no point, SpongeBob wears his normal clothes. The first is "Ripped Pants," the second is "Walking Small," the third is "The Fry Cook Games," the fourth is "SpongeGuard on Duty" (not counting live-action SpongeBob costume), the fifth is "Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob," the sixth is "The Inmates of Summer," the seventh is "Krusty Krushers," the eighth is "Jailbreak!," and the ninth is "Don't Wake Patrick."
- This episode formerly held the record for the least-watched episode of the entire series, accumulating a total of only 1.21 million U.S. viewers, beating the previous record holder, "Sanctuary!," which gained 1.28 million U.S. viewers. This record would not be broken until "ChefBob's" 1.04 million U.S. viewers. That record would not be broken again until "The Ballad of Filthy Muck's" 0.95 million U.S. viewers. This episode is now the eighth least-watched episode.
- The episode's title, along with the activity SpongeBob does in the episode, is a reference to underwater diving, the activity of diving under the water's surface, which is sometimes called deep sea diving.
- When the Bikini Bottomites blow up balloons to send their wishes to "King Neptune," they do not knot them to keep the air in, with the balloons immediately knotting themselves.
- Most of the objects are floating up in the sea, but when SpongeBob and Old Man Jenkins are throwing them at each other, they sink.