- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Sandy Cheeks
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Karen Plankton
- Pearl Krabs
- Mrs. Puff
- Incidental 82
- Perch Perkins
- Bubble Bass
- Timmy (debut)
- Tina (debut)
- Old Man Jenkins
- Bikini Bottomites
The episode begins with two kids (named Timmy and Tina) in a treehouse, attempting to get the hiccups. They try soda first, which doesn't work, but then eat a bag of spicy kelp chips, which causes them to burp out green hiccup bubbles. They trap the hiccup bubble in a jar, and laugh about how this will make a great prank. They release the hiccup bubble into Bikini Bottom, which is about to land on an old woman, but she unknowingly blows it away while blowing her nose. The hiccup bubble then lands on SpongeBob while he's skipping down the street, causing him to get the hiccups.
Later, at The Krusty Krab, SpongeBob is about to prepare a fresh batch of Krabby Patties, but his hiccups interfere. At first, SpongeBob uses this to his advantage, using his hiccups to bounce the Krabby Patties off of his head, but this quickly spirals out of control. Mr. Krabs walks into the kitchen to see what's going on, to which he realizes SpongeBob has a case of the hiccups. He attempts to scare the hiccups out of him, but this proves unsuccessful. Mr. Krabs sends SpongeBob home for the day, but not before SpongeBob hiccups the bubble out of his mouth and onto Mr. Krabs, passing the hiccups onto him. Mr. Krabs walks back into the restaurant to greet Mrs. Puff, who is waiting in line, but Mr. Krabs' hiccups prove to be an annoyance. Mrs. Puff claims the hiccups aren't contagious and kisses Mr. Krabs on the cheek, and Mr. Krabs unknowingly passes the hiccups onto her. Mrs. Puff then rushes into the restroom and tries drinking water upside down to get rid of the hiccups. Pearl then also walks into the bathroom and is confused by what Mrs. Puff is doing. Mrs. Puff then accidentally spits water all over Pearl's pom poms, making her upset. Mrs. Puff tries to apologize to Pearl, but ends up passing the hiccups to her, causing Pearl to storm out of the restaurant. Pearl attempts to practice cheerleading, but her hiccups get in the way. She ends up passing the hiccups to a group of Jellyfish, and she happily finishes her cheer.
The Jellyfish then fly past the comic book store where Bubble Bass is reading a comic book, and pass the hiccups onto him. His hiccups cause him to sneeze on his comic book, making him upset. Old Man Jenkins then approaches Bubble Bass and mocks him, saying how back in his day, hiccups could turn someone inside out. This also happens to Bubble Bass who panics and runs away. We then cut to Perch Perkins, who is reporting the Hiccup Plague on the news, but he just laughs it off until Bubble Bass (still inside out) grabs Perch Perkins' microphone, claiming the Hiccup Plague to be real. He then hiccups, causing the hiccup bubble to travel inside the microphone, and into telephone wires leading to the Chum Bucket, causing Karen to get the hiccups, who then passes the hiccups to Plankton. The hiccups cause Plankton to accidentally drop a couple of beakers he was using, which creates and explosion that sends him flying. He then lands on the ground right in front of Patrick, who ends up accidentally stepping on him. He then picks up Plankton, who ends up passing the hiccups onto him. Plankton laughs in his face and then runs away. Patrick then starts hiccupping, causing him to panic, and he bumps into Squidward. Patrick begs Squidward to help him get rid of the hiccups, but then passes the hiccups onto him. Squidward berates Patrick, saying that hiccups aren't contagious, but when he starts hiccupping himself, he panics and takes off.
We then see Mrs. Puff, Pearl, and Bubble Bass, who are walking down the street together. Squidward then approaches them and starts uncontrollably hiccupping. This causes them to panic and flee. Squidward is then approached by SpongeBob, who states that he will willing take the hiccups if Squidward hugs him. He begrudgingly does so, and passes the hiccups onto SpongeBob. Squidward then retreats gleefully, while SpongeBob says goodbye to Bikini Bottom, while Timmy and Tina (the two kids from earlier) are seen giggling behind a mailbox. SpongeBob is then seen sitting on a large piece of coral while sipping on a carton of grape juice. SpongeBob then hiccups, causing him to fall off the coral, and lands in Sandy's arms. SpongeBob is alarmed and tells Sandy to stay away from him as he still has the hiccups. Sandy states that she wants to attempt to cure SpongeBob of the hiccups and take him back to her Treedome.
At Sandy's Treedome, SpongeBob is seen in a small tank, while Sandy, Mr. Krabs, Mrs. Puff, Pearl, Bubble Bass, Patrick, and Squidward look on. Mr. Krabs once again tries to scare the hiccups out of SpongeBob, but fails. Mrs. Puff suggests drinking water upside down, Pearl suggests to do a cheer, Bubble Bass suggests hiding pickles under his tongue, Patrick suggests eating Snail Po, and Squidward suggests nothing. SpongeBob tries all of these options, but none of them end up working. Sandy tries to treat the situation "scientifically" and tickles SpongeBob, which actually ends up working. The hiccup bubble floats out of the Treedome as everyone cheers. The hiccup bubble then floats back to the treehouse where Tina and Timmy are laughing, but the hiccups are passed onto them. They both start hiccuping, causing their treehouse to jump up and down as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Porous Pursuit - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
‣ Even More Comical Cuts 1-5 - Ronald Hanmer [Opening with two kids inside a treehouse/One kid drinks a can of Fizz Bomb Cola]
‣ Eerie Link - Max Harris [Both kids eat spicy kelp chips and burp]
‣ Dramatic Episode 2 - Kurt Rehfeld [Kids decide to release the hiccup bubble]
‣ Apples and Pears - Bruce Campbell [Hiccup bubble starts affecting SpongeBob]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 23 - Jeremy Wakefield [Transition to next scene]
• Another Krusty Krab Day - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob hiccuping at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Coffee Beans - Georges Cugaro [SpongeBob trying to make Krabby Patties]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 15 - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs sighs]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 5 - Jeremy Wakefield [0 days without nonsense]
‣ Fraidy Cat - Fredric Bayco [Krabs tries to stop SpongeBob's hiccup]
‣ Dramatic Cue (d) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob screams]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr ["Huh?"]
‣ Fraidy Cat - Fredric Bayco [SpongeBob continues hiccuping]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 4 - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs leaves SpongeBob]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 40 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob sees that he stopped hiccuping]
• Drunken Sailor Solo Accordion-2 - Nicolas Carr [Krabs hiccuping]
• Galley Cooks Shanty - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Mrs. Puff talking with Krabs]
• Unknown Track 100 - Krabs notices his hiccups are gone
‣ Saucy Organ - Ernst Lindemann [Mrs. Puff starts hiccuping]
‣ Slippery Sid - Roger Roger [Mrs. Puff runs to the bathroom to drink water]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 3 - Fredric Bayco [Mrs. Puff is cured]
‣ ? [Pearl starts hiccupping]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 3 - Fredric Bayco [Pearl gets angry]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 17 - Jeremy Wakefield [Pearl stops hiccuping]
‣ ? [?]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 3 - Fredric Bayco [Jellyfishes catch the hiccups and pass them to Bubble Bass]
‣ Uh Oh Flutter-Eyed - [ProjectSAM Symphobia Colours: Animator] [Bubble Bass sneezes his drink onto his comic book]
‣ Laughter Muted Trumpet - [ProjectSAM Symphobia Colours: Animator] [Bubble Bass complains]
‣ Bluegrass Banjo - Johnny Largo [Optigan sample] [Old Man Jenkins warns Bubble Bass about the hiccup]
‣ The Creature (a) - Gregor Narholz [Bubble Bass screams]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [?]
• Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr [News on TV]
‣ The Creature (a) - Gregor Narholz [Bubble Bass talking on TV]
• Down in Davy Jones' Locker - Nicolas Carr [Hiccup bubble goes through Perch Perkins' microphone]
‣ Evil Mind 3 - Dick De Benedictis [Hiccup bubble floats to the Chum Bucket through cables]
‣ Bridge 3 - Wilfred Burns [Karen sneezes, releasing the hiccup bubble]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Plankton gets launched away]
‣ Even More Comical Cuts 1-5 - Ronald Hanmer [Plankton's hiccups are gone]
‣ Eight Dramatic Bridges - Ronald Hanmer [Patrick panics]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 15 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward scolds Patrick]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 4 - Fredric Bayco [Squidward starts hiccuping/He runs away/Pearl, Mrs. Puff and Bubble Bass see him hiccupping]
‣ Eight Dramatic Bridges - Ronald Hanmer [Pearl, Mrs. Puff, and Bubble Bass run away]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 11 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward lying on the ground]
‣ Six Comedy Episodes 5 - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob hugs Squidward to get the hiccup bubble out of him]
‣ Dignity - Peter Yorke [SpongeBob starts hiccupping again]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 5 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward runs away happily]
‣ Defeat - Keith Nichols ["Goodbye, Squidward. Goodbye, Bikini Bottom."]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 4 - Fredric Bayco [Two kids laughing behind a rock]
• M'Wanna - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob still hiccuping]
‣ Dramatic Cue (h) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob falls]
‣ Comedy Punctuations and Bridges 4 - Fredric Bayco [?]
• Unknown Track 112 - Sandy takes SpongeBob to her treedome
‣ Bridge 3 - Wilfred Burns [Sandy discovers the hiccup bubble inside SpongeBob's body]
• Drunken Sailor Solo Accordion - Nicolas Carr [?]
‣ A Haunting We Will Go - Ronald Hanmer [Krabs puts on a werewolf mask to frighten SpongeBob]
‣ Shock Horror (a) - Dick Walter [SpongeBob screams]
‣ Terror - Alan Braden [Krabs screams]
• Porous Pursuit - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob tries to get the hiccup bubble out]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [?]
‣ Long Legged Beasties - Fredric Bayco [Sandy tickles SpongeBob]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Everybody cheers]
‣ Alone and Lost - Norman Dane [Hiccup bubble returns to the kids' treehouse]
• Porous Pursuit - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending]
- This episode is available on The Complete Twelfth Season DVD.
- This episode was released on The Complete Twelfth Season DVD on January 12, 2021, before airing on U.S. television.
- In the French dub, the title for this episode is "Épidémie De Hoquet," which translates to "Hiccup Epidemic."
- The final frame from this episode was revealed by mistake at the end of the premiere of "Lighthouse Louie" in the UK and Ireland airing.
- The episode's title is a play on words of the Bubonic Plague.
- The treehouse shown in the episode looks similar to SpongeBob's clubhouse from "Club SpongeBob."
- Hiccups were previously a plot point of the comic Hiccup And Away!, featured in the comic book Comic Crazy! and centered around SpongeBob getting the hiccups.
- The English title card was accidentally revealed on the official SpongeBob SquarePants account on Instagram.
- Bubble Bass still has the pickles under his tongue like he did in "Pickles" and the SpongeBob Freestyle Funnies 2017 comic The Great Funnybook Giveaway!
- SpongeBob also tries Snail-Po again, which might be a reference to him trying it in "Missing Identity."
- This is the first episode in which Bubble Bass and Mrs. Puff are seen inside Sandy's treedome wearing water helmets.
- This is the first episode to use "Porous Pursuit" as a title card music.
- This is the first medical-related episode of season 12.
- Nick originally planned to broadcast this episode on January 18, 2021 at 12:15PM, but was pulled a week before its premiere. "My Two Krabses" will take its place.
- Pearl and Mr. Krabs wear water helmets in Sandy's treedome, even though they do not need them since they can breathe air. This continuity error previously occurred in the episodes "Overbooked" and "Surf N' Turf." Mr. Krabs didn't wear one in "The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom", further proving that he shouldn't need one.
- Spicy Kelp Chips look identical to Cheez-Its.
- The closing credits incorrectly spell this episode's title as "Hiccup Plaque."
- In one scene, Pearl's "P" on her shirt is missing.
- In one scene, Mrs. Puff's spots are missing.
- In one shot of the treehouse, it is not connected to the tree and appears to be floating.
- ^ https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/760903689778102293/761157210368770068/unknown.png
- ^ Google archive of the episode page is from this date.
- ^ https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/677844426428645397/759276994209906741/unknown.png
- ^ https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/758790825110667316/787317306505035816/unknown.png
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/1144975599636627456
- ^ https://www.instagram.com/tv/CCGOi06j7c1/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link