- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Squidward's heart (debut)
- Squidward's foot (debut)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Patrick Star
- Colonel Carper (debut)
- Sheldon J. Plankton (2 cameos)
- Mrs. Puff (2 cameos)
- Dwight T. Wad (2 cameos)
- French Narrator
- Gary the Snail (mentioned)
- Ned and the Needlefish
- King Neptune (cameo)
- Purple wrestler
- Appraisal worker and Pawn Shop owner
- Bert (cameo)
- Elderly fish
- Frankie Billy
- Norma Rechid
- Fred (blue)
- Evelyn Annette
- Abigail Marge
- Sheldon (fish)
- Harold (red fish)
- Nat Peterson
- Ivy (gray)
- Frank (red shirt)
- Vera Fishbowl
- Harry (fish)
- Miss Rechid
- Monroe Timmy
- Debbie Rechid
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Martha Smith
- Nathiel Waters
- Dennis (citizen)
- Frank (lifeguard)
- Jimmy Gus
- Mable (gray)
- Orange senior
- Elderly shark
- Purple Doctorfish
- Taylor Fishbowl
- Susie Rechid
- Brad (cameo)
- Tina Fran
- Medley Fishbowl
- Jennifer Millie
- Old Man Jenkins
- Miss Shell
- Billy (lime fish)
- Green fish child
- Octopus boy
- The guy on the gurney
- Other kids at the party
Act 1The episode starts with Squidward deciding to play his clarinet. SpongeBob overhears him and decides to join him by playing his ukulele. They both play back and forth until Squidward blows his clarinet out of his mouth, then tells SpongeBob that he will never play with him. A stylish fish claps for them liking SpongeBob and Squidward's performance and Squidward asks who the fish is. The fish introduces himself as Colonel Carper. Colonel says that he wants to be SpongeBob and Squidward's band manager and that they will make a lot of money.
However, Mr. Krabs overhears money being involved and forcefully makes himself SpongeBob and Squidward's band manager. He even manages to steal tips from Carper on what a band needs: A tour bus, venue, sound equipment, and roadies. Mr. Krabs steals Mrs. Puff's busmobile and drives back to the Krusty Krab then he takes off his speaker, checking off both having a tour bus and sound equipment. At the moment, all he needs is a roadie, in which, he sees Patrick entering the Krusty Krab holding a boat and makes him the roadie.
Mr. Krabs, Squidward, SpongeBob, and Patrick all travel to a building that hosts the appearance of Ned and the Needlefish. Mr. Krabs meets up with Colonel Carper again, and Carper explains how much better he is doing. He then blasts on Mr. Krabs for having poor sound equipment and a roadie. He also manages to even blow up Mr. Krabs' sound equipment by telling him his service will be free.
In the next scene, when Squidward is playing his clarinet on the microphone, Mr. Krabs' "sound equipment" explodes. Carper then breaks down laughing, not knowing Mr. Krabs was stealing his sound equipment from behind him. Mr. Krabs then drives the gang to their first gig: a supermarket. Squidward complains about the place they're playing at and demands Mr. Krabs to drive back to the Krusty Krab. Mr. Krabs says it's impossible because he sold the Krusty Krab to a Pawn Shop, much to SpongeBob's dismay. Even Squidward thinks that was a bad idea. Plankton is seen walking past the Pawn Shop and spots the Krusty Krab. He then runs home going to get his money.
Squidward and SpongeBob finally begin to play at the Supermarket, and all of the other customers even start using food items to play along with the beat as well. Once Squidward and SpongeBob stop playing, all of the customers leave which Squidward dislikes. The Supermarket Manager then bills Mr. Krabs for playing at his supermarket. Mr. Krabs then takes the gang to a retirement home, and he manages to convince Squidward to play there. However, every time that SpongeBob and Squidward play, an elderly fish keeps yelling out "Too loud!" even if SpongeBob and Squidward aren't playing. The next gig ends up at a child's birthday party. The gig ended soon when a kid playing a game sticks Squidward.
As Mr. Krabs drives to the next destination, Squidward says that if the next gig is anything like the others, he will quit. When Mr. Krabs stops at the Electronics Outhouse, Squidward attempts to leave off the bus but Mr. Krabs slams the door on his face saying that it's not their next gig. Mr. Krabs, SpongeBob, and Squidward all look toward a large crowd heading toward a stadium, and Mr. Krabs says that is their next gig (which says "Ned and the Needlefish Today!"). Mr. Krabs drops off SpongeBob, Squidward, and Patrick and goes back to the "Next Town" sign and starts to do work on it. It turns out that he made it redirect Ned and the Needlefish to the Electronics Outhouse, in which, the band drives to with Ned thinking that they really have gone downhill.Meanwhile, SpongeBob and Squidward are preparing to perform for the crowd. The curtains open up, and the entire crowd is cheering. However, Squidward notices they're chanting for Ned and the Needlefish, but SpongeBob thinks that the crowd is cheering for them instead. As the lights turn on, the crowd notices that they're not Ned and the Needlefish. Squidward says that they know what they came for and he and SpongeBob start playing but the crowd (with Harold actually giving the signal) began to chase them off the stage. As the duo are being chased away, Ned and the Needlefish are performing at the Electronics Outhouse. Bert asks Ned about something, but Ned tells him that one of his band members could help him instead. Back at the stadium, Colonel Carper returns, and he is furious at Mr. Krabs for stealing his sound equipment and for driving Ned and the Needlefish off course.
Carper tells Mr. Krabs that he is suing him for everything he's got and has his roadies take back his sound equipment and even tag "Losers" on Mr. Krabs' tour bus. Mr. Krabs is highly depressed as he drives again with Squidward saying things have gotten worse. Mr. Krabs breaks down in tears and ends up driving off a cliff with the bus tumbling many times but only suffering a flat tire. Mr. Krabs asks for Patrick to put up the spare, but Patrick ended up eating it (which Squidward actually guessed correctly). SpongeBob pulls out a small bag of tires telling Patrick he would've given him one. Squidward gets fed up with everything, not even caring if Mr. Krabs goes broke and decides to walk off but walks into a series of cacti along the way. SpongeBob tries to convince Squidward to stay, but he wouldn't budge and walked off into the sunset.
SpongeBob then starts to sing about not giving up and eventually, Squidward turns back around, and he and SpongeBob play for the final time on top of the bus.
They notice a crowd cheering with Mr. Krabs in shock; however, Patrick says that they're only cheering for the rare meteor shower that was going on. Mr. Krabs then sets up an admission stand to have people pay to see the meteor shower and makes all of his money back.
Unfortunately for Mr. Krabs, there is a long line of fish waiting to get paid back from Mr. Krabs which includes Mrs. Puff, the Supermarket Manager, and even Colonel Carper. Carper asks for the rest of Mr. Krabs' money for using his equipment, causing him to lose profits from the Needlefish show, damages to his property, and the rest just because he wants it. Mr. Krabs, of course, refuses. Carper then has his roadies dump all of Mr. Krabs' money into his pants then drops him onto the ground. Mr. Krabs, along with SpongeBob, is outside the Pawn Shop and is sad that he will never get his Krusty Krab back. Fortunately for him, SpongeBob offers Mr. Krabs a piggy bank of Gary's college fund, which he grabs without hesitation and he buys back the Krusty Krab and puts it on his boat. Mr. Krabs drives off with SpongeBob. Plankton is arriving shortly with a wagon of money, wanting to buy the Krusty Krab. However, the Pawn Shop Owner tells Plankton that he just sold it but has a taco stand instead. Plankton looks on with a shocked look on his face as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card.]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward playing clarinet.]
‣ ? - Sage Guyton [SpongeBob accompanies on ukulele.]
◦ It's High Time We Went on Tour - Sean Charmatz, Eban Schletter
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["We got a tour to put on!"]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs drives Mrs. Puff's bus to the Krusty Krab.]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Roadie... check."]
‣ Unknown Track 26 - Nicolas Carr ["Here we are, boys!"]
• Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Where do I put this?"]
‣ Unknown Track 26 - Nicolas Carr [Ned and the Needlefish.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield [Colonel Carper laughs.]
‣ Who Said That - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["We have a tour bus, sound equipment, a roadie..."]
‣ Sponge Shredder - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez [Krabs screams at the roadies.]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Deal!"]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward starts playing.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [Speaker blows up.]
‣ Unknown Track 26 - Nicolas Carr [Wall of speakers.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs steals Carper's speakers.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield ["We're performing at a supermarket?"]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney ["The Krusty Krab's not there anymore?!"]
‣ Dirgey - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston ["Me heart aches when I think of me old girl..."]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hopping hamburger stands!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (t) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Quit your worrying back there."]
‣ Hello Bikini Bottom or Supermarket Blitz - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob and Squidward playing.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (i) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Thank you very much."]
‣ Tympup (a) - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [Bill.]
• Aloha Lui Lui - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Retirement home.]
‣ Too Loud - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob and Squidward start playing.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Squidward back away.]
‣ Unknown Track 17 - Birthday party.
• Solo Steel and Vibes 1 - Jeremy Wakefield, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Patrick asleep.]
‣ A Simple Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Now Entering Next Town.]
‣ A Casual Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Mr. Krabs drives to the stadium/Mr. Krabs changes the direction of the concert.]
‣ Unknown Track 26 - Nicolas Carr [Ned and the Needlefish tour bus approaches.]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Barry Anthony [Squidward and SpongeBob start playing.]
‣ From the Dead - Ronald Hanmer ["Chase 'em off stage!"]
• ? - Ned and the Needlefish playing at the electronics store.
‣ Unknown Track 26 - Nicolas Carr ["Thanks."]
‣ Clowning Around Again - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Carper confronts Mr. Krabs.]
‣ Clowning Around - Barry Anthony [Carper angry at Krabs.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (IX) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Losers" painted on the side of the bus.]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 4 - Phil Green [Crowd going wild.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs cries.]
‣ Cloak and Dagger [#69] - Phil Green [Bus goes over a cliff.]
‣ Clowning Around Again - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Patrick ate the spare tire.]
‣ Epic Tragedy - Gerhard Trede [Krabs cries that he doesn't have any money.]
‣ Humorous Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward walks into a cactus.]
◦ Never Give Up - Sean Charmatz, Eban Schletter
‣ Solo Harp [#60.06] - Harry Bluestone [Meteor shower.]
• Jovial Pirate's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Admission booth.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (III) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Get Paid Back From Mr. Krabs" Line.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (n) - Jeremy Wakefield [Mr. Krabs pays back everyone their money.]
‣ Sponge Shredder - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez [Collecting time.]
• Sad Sack Shanty - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs crying at pawn shop.]
• Bikini Bottom Bound - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending.]
- This episode is available on The Complete Eighth Season, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, SpongeBob on Tour, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 14 and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- This episode is the last of many things:
- This is the last SpongeBob episode to be produced in 480i standard-definition full screen. The next episode, "Extreme Spots," and onward, are produced in widescreen high-definition.
- This is the fifth and last double-length episode of season 8. The first is "Frozen Face-Off," the second is "A SquarePants Family Vacation," the third is "Ghoul Fools," and the fourth is "It's a SpongeBob Christmas!"
- This is the last episode written by Aaron Springer before he went to direct on the Disney Channel show Gravity Falls.
- This is the last episode written by Sean Charmatz before he went to work at DreamWorks Animation.
- This was the last episode written by Dani Michaeli until he came back on season 10 to write "Lost and Found."
- This is Andrew Overtoom's final episode as an animation director until "Gary & Spot" in season 12.
- This episode makes season 8 the second season to end with a double-length episode. The first season is season 6 with "The Clash of Triton."
- This episode was promoted as "SpongeBob on Tour."
- The German title card for this episode doesn't have an exclamation mark, unlike the English version.
- This episode marks King Neptune's first appearance in two years since "The Clash of Triton."
- In this episode, people actually like Squidward's clarinet playing, unlike most of the episodes.
- Mrs. Puff is shown to be a good engineer in this episode, as she makes her own school field trip bus.
- The font on Mrs. Puff's bus is the same as the one found on The Complete Fourth Season discs.
- The supermarket manager is actually Dwight T. Wad, who first appears in the episode "Kracked Krabs."
- SpongeBob and Squidward have been in bands before in "Band Geeks" and "Krabby Road."
- Mr. Krabs commits a few crimes, but instead of being arrested, he pays them back. He steals Mrs. Puff's field trip bus, steals Colonel Carper's sound equipment, and sends Ned and the Needlefish to an electronic store.
- This is the first time SpongeBob and Squidward play their instruments without everyone playing along.
- This episode marks the first time Purple Doctorfish works at a retirement home.
- This episode marks the second time Tom works at a retirement home. The first is in "Doing Time."
- This is the second appearance of Ned and the Needlefish. The first is "Wigstruck."
- This episode the second time Mr. Krabs sells, then buys back the Krusty Krab in a single episode. The first is in "Selling Out."
- This is the third appearance of Jim and the purple wrestler. The first is "Krusty Krushers" and the second is "SpongeBob's Last Stand."
- This episode was aired alongside various specials from SpongeBob SquarePants and The Fairly OddParents, leading up to the Nickelodeon movie 100 Things to Do Before High School, which would later become a sitcom series.
- Colonel Carper's name is a parody of Elvis Presley's manager, Colonel Parker.
- When Colonel Carper says, "Hmm, let me think about that for a second...," The Thinker by Auguste Rodin appears on a mirror.
- In three promos, "We Will Rock You" by Queen is played throughout them.
- When Plankton first arrives at the Pawn Shop a second time, ready to buy the Krusty Krab, he has a red wagon with money with him. After the owner tells Plankton he already sold it, the wagon disappears.
- When Nazz-Mimi plays a bread loaf like an accordion, her bikini top is missing.
- During the song "Never Give Up," SpongeBob rips his pants off, but once the song is over, he has his pants back on.
- When the crowd runs out of the stadium and Mr. Krabs says “Quick, on the bus!“, Patrick doesn’t get on the bus. In the next shot, he is on the bus.
- An elderly fish saying, "Too loud!" constantly in the middle.
- Squidward walking into a cactus.