— Hans to SpongeBob, "Handemonium"
Hans is a character who appears in the theme song of SpongeBob SquarePants and some episodes. However, in the "It's a SpongeBob Christmas!" theme song, Hans is replaced with Santa Claus' hand. He is a human hand. His name is a play on the word "hands." He first appears in the episode "Suds."
- 1 Description
- 2 History
- 3 Video games
- 3.1 SuperSponge (PS Version)
- 3.2 Revenge of the Flying Dutchman (GBA version)
- 3.3 Battle for Bikini Bottom
- 3.4 The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie video game
- 3.5 SpongeBob's Atlantis SquarePantis (DS version)
- 3.6 Drawn to Life: SpongeBob SquarePants Edition
- 3.7 SpongeBob's Truth or Square (DS version)
- 3.8 Deep Freeze Freak Out
- 3.9 Pian-Oh-No!
- 3.10 Tighty Whitey Tumble
- 3.11 Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated
- 3.12 Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl
- 4 Trivia
- 5 References
Hans is a pinkish white hand, with the fingers folded together. His sleeve can be presumed as part of a naval jacket (which would make sense, considering the theme of the show). He has a German accent.
In the theme song of the show, he can be seen briefly, handing SpongeBob his pants.
This episode marks Hans' first role in the series. He appears in cutscenes, where he uses SpongeBob and Patrick as cleaning tools. He uses SpongeBob to clean to cure him of his sickness, and he uses Patrick to clean as punishment for impersonating a doctor.
SpongeBob realizes how he chose the wrong Mr. Krabs, and goes out to retrieve the real one, which he had covered with tartar sauce and served with fries. However, upon exiting the Krusty Krab to retrieve him, he sees that Hans is trying to eat him with a fork. Mr. Krabs keeps him at bay with a fry until SpongeBob grabs the cart and wheels him in, with Hans disappearing into the sky.
Hans appears in the live-action Patchy segment where Hans rings a bell three times to signify to Patchy that its time for him to open fan mail.
When newscaster Johnny sheds a tear, Hans appears with a tissue to wipe it away.
At the start of "Underwater Sun," Hans takes off like a rocket and lands in the ocean, next to SpongeBob's house.
Mr. Krabs, during his breakdown, sucks on Hans' thumb to ease his emotional pain.
Hans is the hand that can be seen in the New Sponge commercial. He uses SpongeBob to scrub dirty surfaces. However, SpongeBob resists Hans when he wants to clean the grotesque toilet with him.
Later, when SpongeBob goes to work at the Krusty Krab again, Hans can be seen using the bathroom there.
He appears in archive footage from the episode "Truth or Square."
He hypnotizes SpongeBob to cure him of biting his nails.
SuperSponge (PS Version)
Hans is seen in the end of the intro for the game.
Revenge of the Flying Dutchman (GBA version)
Hans is seen Putting SpongeBob at the start of any level.
He catches SpongeBob, Sandy, and Patrick if they ever try to cross the dotted red line or fall into an abyss. He is also seen in the GBA Version but as a rocket to get SpongeBob across.
Whenever SpongeBob or Patrick fall or drift off course, or fail to make it to a checkpoint or area on time when riding in a vehicle, Hans catches them and they respawn back on course to retry.
SpongeBob's Atlantis SquarePantis (DS version)
Hans is seen taking the player's character away whenever the player makes it to the end of a stage.
SpongeBob's Truth or Square (DS version)
Hans is seen in the mini-game "Buns-a-Blazin," where he is seen taking the ingredients for the Krabby Patty.
Hans can be seen giving the player an ice cube to throw at SpongeBob and Plankton.
Hans appears to squish Plankton throughout the game.
Hans appears to give SpongeBob a wedgie.
He does the same as in the original Battle for Bikini Bottom.
Hans places SpongeBob on the stage at the beginning of matches.
- In many translations of "Hans" throughout the show's history, his name remains the same. This however means Hans' name does not pun on anything in the translations.
- In the Croatian dub, Hans' name is "Rukavina," which is a common Croatian surname, translating to "HANDvina."
- While he is usually a live-action character, the episode "Handemonium" has him animated for a moment, marking his first animated appearance in the series.
- Hans inconsisently switches between a right hand and a left hand throughout the series.
|Recurring characters (V • E)|
Patchy • Potty • French Narrator • Mermaid Man • Barnacle Boy • Flying Dutchman • King Neptune • Larry the Lobster • Harold SquarePants • Margaret SquarePants • Grandma SquarePants • Realistic Fish Head • Perch Perkins • Bikini Bottomites • Jellyfish
Other recurring characters