- French Narrator
- Vera Fishbowl (debut)
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Jimmy Gus
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Mrs. Puff
- Tina Fran
- Phil (debut)
- Beth (mentioned)
- Tom (cameo)
- Francis (cameo)
- Gus (debut)
- Medley Fishbowl
- Patrick Star
- Morty (debut)
- Officer Rob Johnson (debut)
- Officer John Slugfish (debut)
- Yellow officer (debut)
- Light purple officer (debut)
At Mrs. Puff's Boating School, it is time to select the hall monitor for the day. Mrs. Puff notices that SpongeBob is the only one who has yet to serve as hall monitor. SpongeBob then moves forward, and after desperately attempting to find another candidate, she is forced to give the hall monitor duties to SpongeBob.
After being elected as Boating School Hall Monitor, SpongeBob gives an extremely long speech, which ends up lasting the entire school day, and also his entire time as the hall monitor. Out of sympathy, Mrs. Puff allows SpongeBob to at least wear his uniform until the next day.However, SpongeBob goes above and beyond the call of duty and decides to become the hall monitor of the city, with disastrous results. His activities include giving directions to traffic, resulting in a massive pile-up, and attacking a couple in the guise of the "Open Window Maniac," with the intention of showing them the "dangers" of leaving a house window open. Later, SpongeBob finds Patrick eating a strawberry ice cream cone, which drips onto the ground, and labels him as a criminal. Then, a newspaper boy comes up to SpongeBob and Patrick gives them newspaper titled "Maniac strikes Bikini Bottom." SpongeBob looks at the newspaper headline alerting about a maniac causing trouble around town without realizing it's himself. SpongeBob suggests they stop this maniac and turns Patrick over a new leaf as a deputy. They end up getting ice cream twice as part of Patrick's idea of a scandal and then decide to split up to find the maniac, communicating using walkie-talkies, and SpongeBob runs off.
Seconds after SpongeBob leaves, two policemen pull up next to Patrick. They show him a wanted poster with a picture of SpongeBob, which he at first mistakes for the actual maniac and screams at the mere sight of the poster. The cops patiently assure him that it's just a drawing and not the real thing, and instruct him to tell them if he's seen the person when they show the picture. Patrick agrees to cooperate, but he still screams whenever the police show him the sketch. Eventually, the cops begin scaring him with the wanted poster on purpose by repeatedly showing and hiding the picture as Patrick screams every single time. The amused officers then drive off.
Soon, night suddenly falls and Patrick gets frightened and finds a poster of the maniac before he sees SpongeBob in the distance across the street. However, Patrick, once again, recognizes him as the maniac rather than SpongeBob. He alerts SpongeBob to this through his walkie-talkie, and SpongeBob attempts to escape the maniac. Everywhere he goes, Patrick tells him the maniac is there, causing SpongeBob to hide in a mailbox for safety; upon being told that the maniac is also in there, he bursts his arms and legs out of the mailbox, sprinting around the city in a blind panic. In his terrified state, he topples several buildings and eventually crashes through a fence covered in the wanted posters. After seeing a poster from the fence, he finally realizes that he is the maniac.
The police arrive to arrest SpongeBob, but Mrs. Puff appears and scolds SpongeBob for his foolish actions and destruction of the city, to his sadness. She then explains the situation to them, saying that he is her responsibility. The police interpret this as taking responsibility for the crimes, and she is arrested instead.
Sometime later at Boating School, Mrs Puff is working with the class on their essay while she is being taped on TV from jail, until she tells SpongeBob that he needs to see her after class six months from now.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ SpongeBob Action Theme - Brad Carow [title card]
‣ Horlepiep - Jan Rap [opening]
‣ Dramatic Cue (h) - Ronald Hanmer ["Sponge... Bob..."]
‣ Menace from the Deep - Robert Cornford ["It's Jimmy. Jimmy's the hall monitor!"]
‣ Glory Road - Sam Fonteyn ["Yahoo!"]
‣ Pomp and Circumstance March #1 - Edward Elgar, Fiachra Trench [SpongeBob's speech]
‣ Send them Victorious (b) - Graham De Wilde ["Hall monitor!"]
‣ Stack of Leis - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob gives back the uniform]
‣ Honolulu March - Hans Haider [broken traffic light]
‣ Send them Victorious (b) - Graham De Wilde ["This looks like a job for the hall monitor!"]
‣ War Blowers - The Blue Hawaiians [SpongeBob directing traffic]
‣ The Mob - Sam Spence [pile of wrecked cars]
‣ Point of Departure K - Gregor F. Narholz [open window maniac]
‣ The Mob - Sam Spence [spilled ice cream]
‣ SpongeBob Closing Theme - Steve Belfer, Nicolas Carr [Patrick eating ice cream]
‣ The Mob - Sam Spence ["Sorry's not good enough, Patrick."]
‣ King Kong Coming [#33.03] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob reads newspaper]
‣ Send them Victorious (b) - Graham De Wilde ["...the hall monitor!"]
‣ Taking Up Positions - Laurie Johnson [Patrick wears ice cream cone for a hat]
‣ The Mob - Sam Spence [getting ice cream/Getting ice cream again]
‣ Troop Movement Alt. End - Sam Fonteyn [SpongeBob imitates siren]
‣ Dramatic Impact 2 - Ivor Slaney [wanted poster]
‣ The Mob - Sam Spence ["Come in, SpongeBob."]
‣ The Killing Ground (a) - Richard A. Harvey [Patrick nervously imitates siren]
‣ Night Butcher - Richard A. Harvey [Patrick sees the maniac]
‣ Flight in Panic 1 - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob hiding everywhere]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [SpongeBob going crazy]
‣ Dramatic Impact 2 - Ivor Slaney [SpongeBob realizes he's the maniac]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["You should be ashamed of yourself."]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill ["Uh-oh..."]
‣ Horlepiep - Jan Rap [ending]
- This episode is available on the Tales from the Deep, Complete 1st Season, First 100 Episodes, and Hall Monitor DVDs.
- As of December 28, 2018, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.7/10 based on 564 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.6/10 based on 216 votes.
- "Hall Monitor" was ranked #99 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- This episode premiered in Canada on May 27, 2000.
- On Mrs. Puff's hall monitor sheet, SpongeBob's name is written in red text while the other names on the sheet are written in black text.
- When Mrs. Puff looks at the list of hall monitors, the names listed are:
- When SpongeBob says "hall monitor," the same music that plays before "Sweet Victory" in "Band Geeks" plays.
- When Mrs. Puff sees SpongeBob is next and tries to substitute another student, she names:
- Phil (not on the list)
- Henry (not on the list)
- Vera (not on the list)
- Clayton (not on the list)
- "My leg!" is heard when the boat collision is shown, which marks the second time it is heard in the series.
- Patrick's line "I wanna be good!" from this episode can also be heard in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie video game.
- Patrick's siren sound has become a semi-popular Internet meme.
- The intersection of Conch Street and Coral Avenue is one straight road whenever the scene is shown from Patrick's point of view.
- This is the first boating school episode that doesn't focus on SpongeBob's driving test.
- This is the first episode where SpongeBob wears a belt that covers his clothes for the majority of the episode. This would not happen again until "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV."
- This is the first episode where Mrs. Puff's goes to jail.
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob gets a deep voice. The first is "Help Wanted."
- Mrs. Puff wears hair curlers in this episode. Before "Life of Crime" occurred, Mr. Krabs stole the hair curlers from her, receiving them as a gift.
- This episode premiered on Sean Charmatz's 19th birthday.
- A storyboard image appears on the chapter 1 title page of The SpongeBob SquarePants Experience: A Deep Dive into the World of Bikini Bottom.
- This episode marks the first usage of the APM track "Horlepiep."
- This episode marks the first usage of part 5 of the APM track "House Of Horror."
- SpongeBob's speech includes the line "Friends, students, juvenile delinquents...," a parody of Mark Antony's "Friends, romans, countrymen..." from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. The music that plays in the background during the speech is Elgar's "Pomp and Circumstance," which is played at graduation ceremonies.
- When SpongeBob says "The hall monitor!," his voice sounds similar to the narrator from The PowerPuff Girls, who SpongeBob's voice actor, Tom Kenny, voiced as well.
- When SpongeBob is picked to become hall monitor, he blasts off into the air similar to Astro Boy.
- Harold "Bill" Reginald is not listed as a student.
- If Beth graduated, her name shouldn't still be on the list of hall monitors.
- When Mrs. Puff tries to avoid naming SpongeBob as hall monitor, she names Henry, Vera, and Clayton, whose names weren't on the list. She also omits the names of some students whose names were on the list, including Bart.
- Clay is shown in Mrs. Puff's Boating School. However, when SpongeBob is walking on the side of the road, before he sees the broken traffic light, Clay drives by SpongeBob. This makes the fact that Clay is seen in boating school seem illogical.
- A similar thing happens with Harold, but he appears during the scene where SpongeBob is directing traffic.
- When the fish step on spongebob there legs are slightly see through.
- When SpongeBob first starts directing traffic, he turns left, and the viewer can see the whistle in his mouth is upside-down. When he turns right, the whistle is right-side up. When SpongeBob turns left a few more times, the whistle switches between upside-down or right-side up.
- When Fred says "My leg!," the closed-captions say "My legs!"
- When SpongeBob says "I must act!," the road disappears.
- When SpongeBob tells Patrick to come down from the wall, Patrick stands once he gets off the wall; but when the camera is zoomed out, Patrick is seen sitting on SpongeBob.
- When the close-up on the ice cream is shown, it's on the other side. It goes back by SpongeBob and Patrick in the next shot. The road also disappears again in the shot and for the rest of the episode in that area.
- When the police arrive and ask Patrick about the maniac, Officer John Slugfish's eyelids are the same color as Officer Rob John's. However, when they talk to Patrick, Officer John's eyelids are orange.
- After SpongeBob crashes through the fence while in the mailbox, he lies on the ground as a wanted sign floats down and lands on his face. It is evident that the paper is upside-down from his point of view until he looks at it, turns it around, and holds it up. Then, it is upright.
- In the end credits, Newspaper Boy is mistakenly credited as "Newsie."
- Some TV guides say this episode aired in 2000, even though it actually aired in 1999.
- On the August 26, 2016 airing, the ending of the episode was cut off.
- Patrick screaming at the wanted sign.