- French Narrator
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Mrs. Puff
- Patrick Star
- Morty (debut)
- Unknown students
- Phil (voice heard only)
- Henry (mentioned)
- Vera (mentioned)
- Clayton (mentioned)
- Bart (mentioned)
- Ralph (mentioned)
- Mimi (name listed on clipboard)
- Buddy (name listed on clipboard)
- Beth (mentioned)
At Mrs. Puff's Boating School, it is time to select the hall monitor for the day. Mrs. Puff notices that SpongeBob is the only one who has yet to serve as hall monitor. SpongeBob then moves forward, and after desperately attempting to find another candidate, she is forced to give the hall monitor duties to SpongeBob.
After being elected as Boating School Hall Monitor, SpongeBob gives an extremely long speech, which ends up lasting the entire school day, and his entire time as the hall monitor (which puts the entire class to sleep). Out of sympathy, Mrs. Puff allows SpongeBob to at least wear his uniform until the next day.
However, SpongeBob goes above and beyond the call of duty and decides to become the hall monitor of the city, with disastrous results. His activities include giving directions to traffic, resulting in a massive pile-up, and scaring a couple out of their house in the guise of the "Open Window Maniac," with the intention of showing them the "dangers" of leaving a house window open. Later, SpongeBob comes across Patrick eating a strawberry ice cream cone and labels him a criminal after Patrick drops the ice cream on the ground.
Then, a newspaper boy comes up to SpongeBob and Patrick, and gives them a newspaper with the headline "Maniac strikes Bikini Bottom." SpongeBob looks at the newspaper headline alerting about a maniac causing trouble around town without realizing that he is the maniac. SpongeBob suggests they stop this maniac, which gives a saddened Patrick the chance to turn over a new leaf as a deputy. They end up getting ice cream twice as part of Patrick's ex-criminal advice and then decide to split up to find the maniac, communicating using walkie-talkies, and SpongeBob runs off.
Seconds after SpongeBob leaves, two police officers pull up next to Patrick. They ask him if he has seen the maniac, showing him a wanted poster with a picture of SpongeBob, which he at first mistakes for the actual maniac and screams with terror at the mere sight of the poster.
The cops patiently assure him that it is just a drawing and not the real thing, and instruct him to tell them if he has seen the person when they show the picture. Patrick agrees to cooperate, but he keeps screaming whenever the police show him the sketch. Eventually, the cops begin scaring him with the wanted poster on purpose by repeatedly showing and hiding the picture as Patrick screams every single time. The amused officers then drive off, suggesting to Patrick that he take the ice cream cone off his head.
Soon, night suddenly falls and Patrick gets frightened. He calls SpongeBob and asks him to return. SpongeBob comes back as Patrick finds a poster of the maniac before he sees SpongeBob in the distance across the street. However, Patrick, once again, recognizes him as the maniac rather than SpongeBob. He alerts SpongeBob through his walkie-talkie, and SpongeBob attempts to escape the maniac. Everywhere he goes, Patrick tells him the maniac is there, causing SpongeBob to hide in a mailbox for safety. Upon being told that the maniac is also in there, he bursts his arms and legs out of the mailbox, sprinting around the city in a blind panic. In his terrified state, he topples several buildings and crashes through a fence covered in the wanted posters. After seeing a poster from the fence, he finally realizes that... he is the maniac.
The police arrive to arrest SpongeBob, since he confessed, but Mrs. Puff appears and scolds SpongeBob for his foolish actions and destruction of the city, much to his sadness. She then explains the situation to them, saying that he is her responsibility. The police interpret this as taking responsibility for the crimes, and she is arrested instead.
Sometime later at Boating School, Mrs. Puff is working with the class on their essay while she is being taped on TV from jail, until she tells a remorseful SpongeBob that he needs to see her after class... six months from now.
- Patrick screaming at the wanted sign.
- SpongeBob saying, "The Hall Monitor!" in a deep voice.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• SpongeBob Action - Brad Carow [Title card]
‣ Horlepiep - Jan Rap [Opening]
‣ Dramatic Cue (h) - Ronald Hanmer ["Sponge... Bob..."]
‣ Menace from the Deep - Robert Cornford ["It's Jimmy. Jimmy's the hall monitor!"]
‣ Glory Road - Sam Fonteyn ["Yahoo!"]
‣ Pomp and Circumstance March #1 - Edward Elgar, Fiachra Trench [SpongeBob's speech]
* ‣ Send them Victorious (b) - Graham De Wilde ["Hall monitor!"]
‣ Stack of Leis - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob gives back the uniform]
‣ Honolulu March - Hans Haider [broken traffic light]
‣ Send them Victorious (b) - Graham De Wilde ["This looks like a job for the hall monitor!"]
• War Blowers - The Blue Hawaiians [SpongeBob directing traffic]
‣ The Mob - Sam Spence [pile of wrecked cars]
‣ Point of Departure K - Gregor F. Narholz [open window maniac]
‣ The Mob - Sam Spence [spilled ice cream]
• SpongeBob Closing Theme - Steve Belfer, Nicolas Carr [Patrick eating ice cream]
‣ The Mob - Sam Spence ["Sorry's not good enough, Patrick."]
‣ King Kong Coming [#33.03] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob reads newspaper]
‣ Send them Victorious (b) - Graham De Wilde ["...the hall monitor!"]
‣ Taking Up Positions - Laurie Johnson [Patrick wears ice cream cone for a hat]
‣ The Mob - Sam Spence [getting ice cream/Getting ice cream again]
‣ Troop Movement Alt. End - Sam Fonteyn [SpongeBob imitates siren]
‣ Dramatic Impact 2 - Ivor Slaney [wanted poster]
‣ The Mob - Sam Spence ["Come in, SpongeBob."]
‣ The Killing Ground (a) - Richard A. Harvey [Patrick nervously imitates siren]
‣ Night Butcher - Richard A. Harvey [Patrick sees the maniac]
‣ Flight in Panic 1 - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob hiding everywhere]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [SpongeBob going crazy]
‣ Dramatic Impact 2 - Ivor Slaney [SpongeBob realizes he's the maniac]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["You should be ashamed of yourself."]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill ["Uh-oh..."]
‣ Horlepiep - Jan Rap [ending]
*"Pomp and Circumstance March #1" is only heard in non-remastered prints of this episode (as broadcast on Nick@Nite, occasional "best of" compilations on Nickelodeon and available on DVD). "Land of Hope and Glory" by Edward Elgar and the R.A.F. Music Library is only heard in remastered prints of this episode (as broadcast on Nickelodeon, Nicktoons and available via streaming on Amazon Prime Video, Paramount+ and iTunes).
- This episode is available on the Tales from the Deep, Complete 1st Season, Hall Monitor, First 100 Episodes, The Underwater Stories, My house, My pineapple, Back to Nature!, Bob Esponja, SpongeBob SquarePants, iSponge Offer Pack, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 1, Rockin' Bikini Bottom, Best of SpongeBob, The Complete First Season, From the Beginning, Part 1, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, Really Big Box Set, Exposed!: The Ultimate Box Set, The Ultimate Box Set, Double Feature Volume 3, The First & Second Seasons, Movies & TV Collection, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs along with SpongeBob SquarePants Volume 2 on GBA Video and on VideoNow.
- This episode is also available on the Bikini Bottom Bash! and Tales from the Deep VHS tapes.
- "Hall Monitor" was ranked #99 during the Best Day Ever event from November 9–10, 2006.
- In this episode and its sister episode, the word "strawberry" is muttered by a character.
- On the Hall Monitor DVD, the screenshot for this episode is actually a screenshot from "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy."
- On Mrs. Puff's hall monitor sheet, SpongeBob's name is written in red text, while the other names on the sheet are written in black text.
- When Mrs. Puff looks at the list of hall monitors, the names listed are:
- When Mrs. Puff sees SpongeBob is next and tries to substitute another student, she names:
- Phil (not on the list)
- Henry (not on the list)
- Vera (not on the list)
- Clayton (not on the list)
- The last two names, Vera and Clayton, are references to Derek Drymon's daughter, Vera, and Stephen Hillenburg's son, Clayton.
- Incidental 28, despite being one of SpongeBob's fellow classmates in this episode, can only be seen in the classroom one time. Specifically, when SpongeBob begins his speech.
- However, after the speech, he cannot be seen when all the students leave the classroom when the bell rings.
- When SpongeBob says "hall monitor," the same music that plays before "Sweet Victory" in "Band Geeks" plays.
- My leg!: is heard when the pile-up is shown, which marks the second time it is heard in the series.
- Patrick's line "I wanna be good!" from this episode can also be heard in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie 3D game.
- This episode marks the first for several things:
- The first boating school episode that does not focus on SpongeBob's driving test.
- The first episode where SpongeBob wears a belt that covers his clothes for the majority of the episode. This would not happen again until "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV."
- The first episode where Mrs. Puff goes to jail.
- SpongeBob commits a series of crimes as the Hall Monitor:
- Causing severe car wreckage.
- Breaking and Entering into a person's home.
- Destruction of city property.
- Impersonating a Cop.
- This episode marks the first usage of the tracks "Horlepiep," "King Kong Coming," "Flight in Panic 1," Part 5 of "House of Horror," and "Dramatic Impact 2."
- This is the second in the series in which, at no point, SpongeBob wears his normal clothes. The first is "Ripped Pants."
- This is the third episode where SpongeBob gets a deep voice. The first was "Help Wanted," and the second was "Jellyfishing."
- Mrs. Puff wears hair curlers in this episode. Before "Life of Crime" occurred, Mr. Krabs stole the hair curlers from her, receiving them as a gift.
- This episode, along with "Jellyfish Jam," premiered on Sean Charmatz's 19th birthday.
- There are 61 police officers surrounding SpongeBob.
- A storyboard image appears on the chapter 1 title page of The SpongeBob SquarePants Experience: A Deep Dive into the World of Bikini Bottom.
- The SpongeBob Action Theme can be heard in this episode.
- The theme was originally used during the title sequence of the 1997 pilot version of "Help Wanted," before being replaced with the now-iconic theme song.
- The theme was not played again until almost 13 years later, when it was played in season 8 episode "For Here or to Go" during the entrance scene of the Bogus Business Bureau.
- Patrick wearing an ice cream cone as his "uniform" is referenced on page 2 of The Pilot a Mini-Movie and the Square Shorts.
- There is a Hey Arnold! episode with the same title.
- Clay is shown in Mrs. Puff's Boating School. However, when SpongeBob is walking on the side of the road, before he sees the broken traffic light, Clay drives by SpongeBob. This may mean that Clay is driving illegally.
- A similar thing happens with Harold, but he appears during the scene where SpongeBob is directing traffic. This may mean that Harold is also driving illegally.
- During the Nicktoons Creepy Teacher Afternoon event, this episode was paired with "Boating School." this was also the same airing in the April 27, 2002 also.
- SpongeBob's speech includes the line "Friends, students, juvenile delinquents...," a parody of Mark Antony's "Friends, Romans, countrymen..." from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. The music that plays in the background during the speech is Elgar's "Pomp and Circumstance," which is played at graduation ceremonies.
- Mrs. Puff's list does not correspond to the actual amount of students in her class. The genders of the names on the list do not correspond with the seen students, either.
- When Patrick says it is getting dark, some buildings and clouds slightly change shape.
- If Beth graduated, her name should not still be on the list of hall monitors.
- When the fish step on SpongeBob, their legs are slightly see-through.
- When SpongeBob first starts directing traffic, he turns left, and the viewer can see the whistle in his mouth is upside-down. When he turns right, the whistle is right-side up. When SpongeBob turns left a few more times, the whistle switches between upside-down or right-side up.
- When SpongeBob says "I must act!," the road disappears.
- When SpongeBob tells Patrick to come down from the wall, Patrick stands once he gets off the wall; but when the camera is zoomed out, Patrick is seen sitting on SpongeBob.
- When the close-up on the ice cream is shown, it is on the other side. It goes back by SpongeBob and Patrick in the next shot. The road also disappears again in the shot and for the rest of the episode in that area.
- When the police arrive and ask Patrick about the maniac, Officer John Slugfish's eyelids are the same color as Officer Rob John's. However, when they talk to Patrick, Officer John's eyelids are orange.
- When the two officers show Patrick the poster of the maniac, it is not wearing any clothing.
- When Patrick spots the maniac (SpongeBob) in the dusk of night, he states the maniac is standing at the intersection of Conch Street and Coral Avenue. There is even a sign to indicate the intersection. But from where Patrick is standing, the intersection looks like just one straight road.
- After SpongeBob crashes through the fence while in the mailbox, he lies on the ground as a wanted sign floats down and lands on his face. It is evident that the paper is upside-down from his point of view until he looks at it, turns it around, and holds it up. Then, it is upright.
- The fence, the mailbox, and the surrounding buildings completely disappear after SpongeBob crashes through the fence.
- ^ https://www.abc.es/archivo/periodicos/abc-madrid-20001110-230.html
- ^ http://youtv.vn/lich-chieu/20-9-2016.imc
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E63KfGml9wo
- ^ https://nickstory.fandom.com/wiki/October_27,_2001
- ^ https://nickstory.fandom.com/wiki/April_27,_2002