Done in the style of classic noir mystery films, the short begins with SpongeBob wondering why he is called "GumShoe SquarePants." He then realizes why he is called that way after he steps on a piece of gum. He inspects it and chews it. After that, he accidentally smashes Plankton.
SpongeBob does not want to be known as “PlanktonShoe SquarePants," so he decides to smear Plankton off of his shoe. He then walks away, claiming that he has another mystery to solve: where he is right now.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• ? - Eban Schletter [Plays throughout]
- This short is available on the Great Patty Caper, Complete Seventh Season, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 12, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, Pilot a Mini-Movie and the Square Shorts, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- After SpongeBob has wiped Plankton off of his heel, the green stain is no longer there a couple scenes later.
- This is the only short entirely in black and white.
- On the Pilot a Mini-Movie and the Square Shorts DVD, "GumShoe SquarePants" is listed as "Gumshoe Squarepants."