- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Mutant arm (debut)
- Sandy Cheeks
- Pearl Krabs
- Santa Claus
- Squidward Tentacles
- Storyboard artist (debut)
- Rodger Bumpass (cameo)
- Squidina (debut)
- Country squirrel (debut)
- Mermaid Man (cameo)
- Barnacle Boy (cameo)
- Bubble Bass (cameo)
- Patrick Star (likeness only)
- Patty (snowman) (debut)
- Wormy (cameo)
- Bikini Bottomites
- King Neptune (mentioned)
Sandy is with her scout troop as they do one final check before they head off to the moon. SpongeBob says he has brought a pack of Fizz Bomb Cola with him and is waiting for a Krabby Patty. Pearl says she bought her pom-poms with her and Squidina says she bought action figures. The group then starts to head to the moon but SpongeBob states he is still waiting for his Krabby Patty order, so an impatient Sandy has to drag him inside her tree. At that time, Squidward comes with SpongeBob's Krabby Patty but sees that SpongeBob is not here, so he drops it off. Suddenly, the rocket takes off with Squidward inside. In space, the gang goes up against an asteroid belt, a cold belt, hot belt and a radiation belt, and the radiation belt mutates SpongeBob's arm. Then they make it to the moon, where Sandy assigns jobs to SpongeBob, Pearl, and Squidina. While the gang is doing these tasks, Squidward is looking through craters and seeing live action things. Then he finds the dark side of the moon and passes through. But Squidina and Pearl get in a fight and Squidina throws a rock at Pearl but misses, only to have the rock orbit the moon and hit Pearl in the helmet.
SpongeBob is looking for intelligent life and finds the Krabby Patty Delivery bag, and toots a horn, and Sandy comes immediately to tell SpongeBob that "if they were really intelligent, they would've ate it. Speaking of eat, can you go get the lunch I packed in the rocket?" So SpongeBob goes and tries to get the lunch button, moving the moon out of orbit. Sandy says that that would have disastrous effect on the Earth's tide. The Bikini Bottomites are forced to crawl on the ground to avoid suffocation. Then, strange laughing is happening outside, so the guys go to check it out. It turns out that Santa was sleeping on the dark side of the moon until Squidward accidentally woke him up. Santa then notices that the Earth is further away from the moon. Then the gang try to move the moon back into orbit by burping it back with Fizz Bomb Cola, but when that doesn't work they try to sail it back into orbit, but then that won't work because there is no wind on the moon. So they try to push it back. Soon after, Squidward, Sandy, Squidina, and Pearl get in the rocket and Santa and SpongeBob are using a jack-in-the-box to move the anchor off the moon (because there was an anchor attaching the rocket to the moon), but SpongeBob accidentally destroys the moon, with jack. The tide on Earth is now even lower. Then Santa uses a squirt gun and pumps SpongeBob full of water. After that Sandy and the guys get back to Earth, the tide back to normal.
The episode closes with Sandy's group returning to Earth, with Pearl and Squidina now on friendly terms. Sandy offers Squidward a part in the club, though he refuses since the adventure was enough for him. Sandy then wonders about SpongeBob, who is acting as the replacement moon, teasing people in a big city (New York City). SpongeBob reveals that Santa is bringing them a new moon in December, and the citizens below complain on this news. SpongeBob realizes his error of spoiling the surprise, while Santa passes by and calls him a menace. SpongeBob then laughs at this while wishing a happy holiday.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Spacecops are Go - David Francis [Opening]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (r) - Jeremy Wakefield ["And I'm waiting on a Krabby Patty delivery."]
‣ Fight! Fight! Fight! A - Will Schaefer [Pearl's supplies are shown]
‣ A Fishy Conversation - Barry Anthony ["Uh. Do you always have to rub it in my face that you're a cheerleader?"]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Bubble Bass sitting outside Sandy's treedome showing his butt]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield [Bubble Bass walks away angrily]
‣ Unknown Track 24 - Moon is shown
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (l) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidina's supplies are shown]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [Nerdy photo of SpongeBob is shown]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob blowing bubbles through his tank top]
‣ Astronauts March - Sam Spence [Pearl and Squidina enter Sandy's tree]
‣ Glimmering 38 F#Min - Marcin Pospieszalski [Sandy looking at the moon through a telescope]
‣ Glimmering 38 D#Min - Marcin Pospieszalski [Sandy looking at the moon through a telescope]
‣ A Casual Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward arrives at Sandy's treedome with Krabby Patty delivery]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Huh?"]
‣ Hillbilly Party - Nicolas Carr [Squidward picks one of Sandy's records]
‣ Attack - Tony Hymas [Sandy's treedome starts rumbling]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (I) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Uh, sorry about that. Just some backfire is all."]
‣ Busy Factory - Leslie Baguley [SpongeBob struggling to fasten his seatbelt]
‣ Missile Disaster - John Fox [Sandy pushes the lunch button/Sandy pushes the launch button and rocket takes off]
‣ Alien Spacecraft A - Gregor Narholz [Squidward starts floating while rocket is in the space]
‣ The Blue Danube - Max Reinsch [SpongeBob, Sandy, Pearl and Squidina floating around the cabin]
‣ Hillbilly Party - Nicolas Carr [Sandy's items floating around the treedome]
‣ Misty Void - Fredric Bayco ["There can only be one explanation. I've lost my mind!"]
‣ Armed Attack - Jean Clero [Space junk colliding with Sandy's rocket]
‣ Charge - Nicolas Carr [Sandy hits bowling ball back outside with baseball bat]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [Sandy lifts the thumb]
‣ Avalanche - Len Stevens [Sandy's rocket flies into the cold belt]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (v) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob making a snowman of Patrick]
‣ Mutations (c) [#55] - Trevor Duncan [Sandy's rocket flies into the hot belt]
‣ Mutations (a) [#50] - Trevor Duncan ["Huh! We're going through the radiation belt! That could cause mutations!"]
‣ Mutations (d) - Trevor Duncan [Sandy's rocket flies into the radiation belt]
‣ Moon Walk - John Fox [Sandy looking through her telescope outside]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (x) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hey, there's a tiny little squirrel in here. How'd you get in there, you little fuzz ball?"]
‣ From Another World - Trevor Duncan [Sandy's rocket lands on the moon]
‣ ? [Squidward exits the treedome]
‣ Unknown Track 63 - Squidward falls into a crater
‣ From the Depths of Space - Trevor Duncan [Squidward looking for a way out]
‣ Patchy's Parched Blues - Nicolas Carr [Squidward on a rusty can in desert]
‣ From the Depths of Space - Trevor Duncan [Squidward looking for another way out]
‣ Hillbilly Party - Nicolas Carr [Squidward in the guitar of the cowboy squirrel]
‣ From the Depths of Space - Trevor Duncan [Squidward looking for another way out]
‣ Dramatic Cue (a) - Ronald Hanmer [Squidward and Rodger Bumpass scream at each other]
‣ From the Depths of Space - Trevor Duncan [Squidward runs off]
‣ Nasa Space Program A - Gregor Narholz [Sandy makes her first step on the moon]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield ["One giant heap for SpongeKind."]
‣ Unknown Track 95 - "All right, science scouts, everybody's got an assignment."
‣ Fight! Fight! Fight! B - Will Schaefer ["Rah, rah, sis-moon-bah!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (l) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Way ahead of you, Ms. Scout Ma'am Cheeks!"]
‣ ? ["SpongeBob, you can search for intelligent life."]
‣ Unknown Track 57 - "Mmm..."
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I cut open their heads to see if they have any brains."]
‣ ? ["If you find anything, just toot."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob floats up]
‣ ? ["Now to study the moon's gravitational effects on my nuts."]
‣ Unknown Track 95 - Sandy begins her tests
‣ Fight! Fight! Fight! B - Will Schaefer ["I'm number one! You're number two! I'm gonna beat the nerd out of you!"]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["No one beats the nerd out of Squidina!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Moon rock floats around the moon and hits Pearl]
‣ Cool Reception - Jack Beaver [Squidward runs screaming out of the crater]
‣ ? ["Well, maybe being on the moon isn't so bad."]
‣ Bridge of Stars - Alan Braden ["This moon is a no SpongeBob zone!"]
‣ Lost in Time - Fredric Bayco ["Um, did someone say, "Man on the Moon?"]
‣ Proclamation A - Gregor Narholz [SpongeBob sees footprints on the moon and finds Krusty Krab takeout bag]
‣ ? [Sandy pulls a Krabby Patty out of the bag]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Just call me LunchBob."]
‣ ? ["No SpongeBob, no SpongeBob..."]
‣ ? [Squidward looking into the dark side of the moon for SpongeBob]
‣ Harps and Bells - Nicolas Carr ["Could it be that I'm... happy?"]
‣ ? [SpongeBob at Sandy's rocket]
‣ Challenge for the Stars C - Sammy Burdson, Jean-Claude Madonne [SpongeBob accidentally presses launch button and rocket starts taking off]
‣ ? [SpongeBob running in space]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (I) - Jeremy Wakefield [Sandy lassos SpongeBob and drags him back into the rocket]
‣ ? ["It's my fault for putting the launch and lunch button so close together."]
‣ Weightless - Fredric Bayco ["The moon's been pulled out of its regular orbit. That could have disastrous effects on the Earth's tides.]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["That's weird."]
‣ ? [Pearl and Squidina hugging scared]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (m) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm so sorry you're a cheerleader!"]
‣ ? ["Ooh, moon hugs! Make room for me."]
‣ Space Critters A - Gregor Narholz [Squidward emerges from darkness]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["Of course, why not?"]
‣ Fairy Coach - Ernest Tomlinson [Santa Claus revealed]
‣ Misty Void - Fredric Bayco ["Did you shrink the earth?"]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea]
‣ Space Horizons - Wolf Helling [SpongeBob, Sandy, Pearl, and Squidina drinking Fizz Bomb Soda and burping/"Interesting science fact: there's no atmosphere on the moon, therefore there's no wind."]
‣ ? [Sandy, Squidina, Pearl and Santa looking at SpongeBob]
‣ Six Powerful Cues (d) - Wilfred Burns [SpongeBob, Pearl, and Squidina trying to push the moon]
‣ ? ["Get it? Kraken?"]
‣ Six Powerful Cues (f) - Wilfred Burns ["Santa Claus, you can do more than just say, "Ho-ho-ho!" at us!"]
‣ ? ["But I'm having such a jolly, holly time!"]
‣ Starboard - Sam Spence [SpongeBob riding in Santa's sleigh]
‣ Alien Spacecraft A - Gregor Narholz [Pieces of moon rock float in all directions after moon is destroyed]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield [Low tide in Bikini Bottom]
‣ Star Warriors - Richard Harvey [Santa squirts water into SpongeBob with a water shooter]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Water level rises up in Bikini Bottom]
‣ Odyssey - Sam Spence [Sandy's rocket and treedome returns to Bikini Bottom]
‣ Bikini Bottom Bound - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Sandy, Squidward, Pearl and Squidina exit the tree]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Speaking of luna, I wonder how old SpongeBob is doing."]
‣ Fairy Coach - Ernest Tomlinson [Ending]
- This episode was the last for many things.
- The reason Santa's bag was full of water shooters is because people were wishing that they had water, as all of the water was dried up due to the disposition of the moon.
- The episode's moon concept was also used in the episodes "Sandy's Rocket" and "Mooncation."
- This episode takes place after "Christmas Who?," as SpongeBob and the others know about Christmas.
- Squidward also references how he is getting nothing for Christmas again.
- This episode premiered 12 years after "That's No Lady" premiered, seven years after "The Way of the Sponge," Bubble Troubles," "The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom," and "Bubble Buddy Returns" premiered, and "You Don't Know Sponge," and "Tunnel of Glove" premiered, and two years after "CopyBob DittoPants" premiered in Poland.
- In Latin America, this episode premiered 6 years after "It's a SpongeBob Christmas" premiered there, and 22 years after the launch of Nickelodeon in Latin America.
- The title card for this episode is similar to "Snooze You Lose."
- Rodger Bumpass makes a live-action cameo as the storyboard artist.
- Numerous TV guides, news sources and promos refer this episode as "SpaceBob MerryPants." It was later confirmed by Vincent Waller that "Goons on the Moon" would remain the title.
- A more advanced and detailed plot was released in the description of this episode the day it came out.
- This episode marks the first time that "puberty" is mentioned in the series.
- This is the first special where Mr. Krabs doesn't appear.
- This episode is the first episode to feature the Moon as a main focus since the 2011 episode "Mooncation."
- This is the first episode where Pearl is seen wearing a water helmet, though it could be filled with air since she is a mammal.
- This is the second special where Patrick doesn't appear, although a snow likeness Patrick made by SpongeBob appears, and a Patrick toy appears in the Storyboard artist office.
- This is the second and final half hour special of season 11. The first is "The Legend of Boo-Kini Bottom."
- This is the third episode where Pearl appears without Mr. Krabs, following "Tunnel of Glove" and "Patnocchio" respectively.
- This is the sixth episode in which a character goes to the moon. The first was in "Sandy's Rocket," the second was in "Mooncation", the third was in "It Came from Goo Lagoon", the fourth was "Unreal Estate" and the fifth was "Out of the Picture."
- Bold and Brash, the Foxy Grandpa hat, Wormy, and Man Ray's power glove all return in this episode.
- In this episode, the asteroid belt is in between Earth and the moon. But in reality, it is in between Mars and Jupiter.
- There are no hot or cold belts between the Earth and Moon. The temperature in the vacuum of space ranges from -300˚ F to +300˚ F. Insulated spacecraft would not feel much of an alteration on the inside during the voyage.
- The radiation belts between the Earth and Moon are called the Van Allen Radiation Belts and do not cause long term biological damage when passing through them to get to and from the Moon.
- Lewis Black voices Santa Claus in this episode as opposed to John Goodman like in "It's a SpongeBob Christmas!," making this the second time Goodman was replaced as the voice of Santa in a cartoon after Futurama.
- This episode is the least viewed special in the series at 1.34 (in millions) U.S. Viewers.
- This is the third episode in which SpongeBob travels to the moon. He also visits the moon in "Sandy's Rocket" and "Mooncation."
- SpongeBob and Sandy make a reference to Neil Armstrong's quote: "That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind."
- This is the second episode to make the above reference. The first is "The Incredible Shrinking Sponge."
- Santa makes various references to the Christmas poem "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" and the Christmas carol "O Holy Night."
- In the scene with Squidward in the moon crater, the Krusty Krab delivery bag disappears and reappears constantly throughout the scene.
- When SpongeBob looks in the periscope, the chairs that should be there are not.
- In the hot belt, in the top right corner there is a asteroid that disappears when the flaming oven appears.
- Before the treedome lifts off, it appears to be outside of town and away from other houses. However, as it blasts off, numerous houses appear near and around the treedome.
- In the scene where SpongeBob learns about the Earth's tide, his legs don't move and there are sound effects.
- The airlock disappears from the treedome during liftoff.
- Squidward wouldn't survive on the moon with nothing but a helmet.
- Sandy, Squidina, SpongeBob, and Pearl's helmet would lose the air/water inside them when they throw the helmets, trying to burp it back into orbit.
- In the scene when SpongeBob is having trouble putting on a seatbelt, he is shown barefoot. However, when they make a sail of clothes, he wears socks.
- SpongeBob's mutant hand disappears the scene right after it appears.
- Both SpongeBob and Pearl switch places while removing their lead blankets.
- In real life, the dark side of the moon is caused by the sun, meaning that in reality the dark side is not that tall.
- When SpongeBob is tooting the horn, Sandy somehow teleports over to him, as camp is far away.
- The scene where the tide is down and goes back up, it’s day time, but when Sandy's rocket lands, it’s nighttime again.
- When Santa appears, he doesn't have an air helmet even though he is in space.
- He also doesn't have his reindeer, both in space and at the ending.