A golden spatula is a specific type of spatula that first appears in the episode "Plankton!" It is completely in gold, except for the handle which is a dark metallic brown. Golden spatulas appear prominently in SpongeBob SquarePants video games as collectibles.
- 1 Role in episode
- 2 Role in video games
- 2.1 Legend of the Lost Spatula
- 2.2 Operation Krabby Patty
- 2.3 SuperSponge
- 2.4 Battle for Bikini Bottom/Rehydrated
- 2.5 The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie video game
- 2.6 Nicktoons: Battle for Volcano Island
- 2.7 SpongeBob's Atlantis SquarePantis
- 2.8 SpongeBob's Atlantis SquarePantis SquareOff
- 2.9 SpongeBob's Truth or Square
- 2.10 Bubble Bros
- 2.11 Lost Treasures
- 3 Trivia
- 4 References
Role in episode
It serves as a gift from Plankton to SpongeBob in order to befriend him. It even has SpongeBob's name carved into it. Plankton claims it will be his birthday the following day, and SpongeBob is invited to his party. Plankton then says he wants SpongeBob to get him a Krabby Patty for his birthday in return for the golden spatula. Upon saying this, SpongeBob then realizes that all Plankton wants is the Krabby Patty secret formula and is thus deceiving him.
Role in video games
It is seen on the cover of the game and after the player defeats the Flying Dutchman.
The mouse cursor is the golden spatula.
They are collectibles and if the player collects all 100, an extra life/bonus area will be unlocked.
Battle for Bikini Bottom/Rehydrated
In most versions of the original Battle for Bikini Bottom and all versions of Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated, Golden Spatulas are the primary collectible. The player earns Golden Spatulas for completing objectives.
In the console versions of the original game and all versions of Rehydrated, there are 100 Golden Spatulas in total. Every task in the game goes towards earning a Golden Spatula, so earning all 100 completes the game. The player will earn most Golden Spatulas for reaching the end of levels or defeating bosses. Other Golden Spatulas can be earned by completing side objectives within a level, delivering Shiny Objects to Mr. Krabs, or delivering socks to Patrick Star. Once the player has received one from a task, the player cannot receive the same one or a different one from that task, even if the player repeats all of the steps for getting it.
In the original console games, the player can enter a cheat code that grants them +10 Golden Spatulas. This can only be done until the Golden Spatula count is 100. If the player then plays the game and collects all 100 in-game Golden Spatulas, they can reach a maximum of 200 Golden Spatulas.
Here is a list of levels with their spatula amounts (representing the number in parentheses):
- Bikini Bottom (8)
- 3 in the first section
- 2 in the middle section
- 3 in the final section
- Jellyfish Fields (8)
- Downtown Bikini Bottom (8)
- Goo Lagoon (8)
- Poseidome (1)
- Rock Bottom (8)
- Mermalair (8)
- Sand Mountain (8)
- Industrial Park (1)
- Kelp Forest (8)
- Flying Dutchman's Graveyard (8)
- SpongeBob's Dream (8)
- Chum Bucket Lab (2)
The player can also receive spatulas by:
- Giving Mr. Krabs a certain amount of Shiny Objects (8)
- 3,000 for 1st
- 3,500 (6,000 in Rehydrated) for 2nd
- 4,000 (9,000 in Rehydrated) for 3rd
- 4,500 (12,000 in Rehydrated) for 4th
- 5,000 (15,000 in Rehydrated) for 5th
- 5,500 (18,000 in Rehydrated) for 6th
- 6,500 (21,000 in Rehydrated) for 7th
- 7,500 (24,000 in Rehydrated) for 8th
- Returning 10 socks at a time to Patrick (8)
In the Game Boy Advance version of the original game, each level has three Golden Spatulas that must be collected to open the warp gate to the next level.
It is the key for the Patty Wagon.
It is one of SpongeBob's salvage items.
It appears in the Nintendo DS and Game Boy Advance versions.
It is one of SpongeBob's attacks.
It is one of SpongeBob's happiest items.
It appears as a power-up item that the player can touch to earn 10,000 points.
The golden spatula featured in this game is the only collectible treasure in level 6.
- In the console version of Battle for Bikini Bottom, once the player defeats Robo-Patrick at Industrial Park, they cannot trade shiny objects for spatulas until they save the Krusty Krab.
- In "SpongeBob You're Fired," Mr. Krabs mentions that golden spatulas were used as a form of achievement while he was in the navy. He tells Squidward, "I was five times golden spatula in the navy, so I'll be runnin' the grill."