- Gary the Snail
- Pirate 1
- Brad Ted (named Brad)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Incidental 82 (cameo)
- Incidental 82's snail (debut)
- Dave's snail
- Incidental 42 (cameo)
- Male judge
- Incidental 49 (cameo)
- Mary the Snail (debut)
- Dream Mary
- Mary's ex-boyfriend
- Incidental 115 (named Monica)
- Bully snail (debut)
- Orange snail (debut)
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 27's snails (debut)
- Fred's snail (debut)
- Elderly snail (debut)
- Incidental 37A
- Mrs. Squiggles
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 48's snail (debut)
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 36's Snail (debut)
- Incidental 45
- Incidental 45's snails (debut)
- Incidental 92's snails (debut)
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 41's snail (debut)
- French poodle worm
- Incidental 93
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 2's snail (debut)
- Incidental 92's worm (debut)
- Incidental 64
- Kenney the Worm
- Incidental 64's worm (debut)
- Scooter's snail (debut)
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 14's snail (debut)
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 4's snail (debut)
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 68
- Incidental 68's snail (debut)
- Scallops and clams
- Incidental 40 (named Harold)
- French Narrator
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 3
- Incidental 9
- Incidental 107 (normal and female) (named Monica)
- Billy the Snail (debut)
- Party snails
- King Neptune (mentioned)
SpongeBob takes Gary to a snail park to play with other snails. Suddenly, Gary falls in love with a snail named Mary. Meanwhile, SpongeBob sleeps in the waiting chair. Then, another snail who is the partner of Mary threatens Gary, but Mary ignores him and falls in love with Gary anyway, which angers the other snail even further as he seeks revenge. Then, SpongeBob comes and tells Gary they are leaving, along with Mary's owner.
The next day, Gary sneaks out of the house to find Mary. SpongeBob awakens to find a picture of Mary under the plate Gary ate on, which he thinks is Gary leading him to think that it is a ransom note from a snailnapper, so he sets out to "save" Gary.
Meanwhile, Gary stays onto a sidewalk with dozens of snail owners having a stroll. Then he sees Mary's owner going into a pet store and goes in himself. The clerk thinks he is a stray and puts him on sale. A few seconds later, the snail from earlier and his friends ransack the store so that the clerk can tell him where Gary is. During the ransack, Gary escapes. The other snails see what appears to be Gary, only to find out it is a vicious poodle worm.
Gary then sees Mary but sees her in a boatmobile and jumps on top of other boats in order to find her. He succeeds, but SpongeBob finally finds him, along with the other snail. Then, a man from a soap opera Gary was watching in the beginning finds Mary's owner, who turns out to be his lost love. Beside him is a handsome snail whom Mary gets together with, with SpongeBob remarking over how heartbroken Gary is.
The other snail forgives Gary and becomes friends with him by asking Gary if he wants to go get seaweed noodle stew with him. SpongeBob ends the episode by noting how fast snails grow up.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Puka A - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card.]
• Soap Opera Scene 1 - Hiram Titus [Gary watching TV.]
• Soap Opera Scene 2 - Hiram Titus ["Monica!"]
• You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Do you know what today is, little guy?"]
‣ Animal Antics [#74] - Phil Green [SpongeBob takes Gary for a walk in the park.]
• Romantic Concerto Redux - Hiram Titus [Gary falls in love with another snail.]
• Bubble Popping Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Hey, lightweight, what do you think you're doing with my girl?"]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green [Mary ignores the bully snail.]
• Bubble Popping Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["You've just made a big mistake, pal."]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green ["Say goodbye to your friends, Gary!"]
• Bubble Popping Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Hey, this ain't over, runt!"]
‣ Alekoki - Kapono Beamer [That night.]
• Drowsy Reef - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob goes to bed.]
• Mystery Chime - Nicolas Carr [Gary's dream.]
• Romantic Concerto Redux - Hiram Titus [Gary's dream.]
‣ Drama Link (H) - Hubert Clifford [Gary wanders out of the house.]
‣ Hawaiian Link (A) - Richard Myhill [The next morning.]
‣ Dancing The Hula - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob wakes up.]
‣ Dramatic Cue (E) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob thinks Gary has been kidnapped.]
‣ Befuddled Gent - Phil Green [Gary in the park.]
• Bubble Popping Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["After me, fellas."]
‣ Revolution - Paul Hart, David Arnold [SpongeBob looking for Gary.]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr ["Snail slime!"]
‣ Sneaking About - Phil Green ["Looks like it could be Gary's."]
‣ Short Bridge 3 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["I'm on the trail, Gary!"]
‣ Body in the Boot - Tony Kinsey [Gary is sad.]
‣ First Sight of New York - Tony Kinsey [Mary's owner taking her for a walk.]
‣ Quizzical Bridge 6 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Gary enters the pet store.]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield [Mary's owner leaves.]
• Bubble Popping Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Pet store destroyed.]
‣ Fierce Fight - Gerhard Trede [Worm attacks them.]
• Romantic Concerto Redux - Hiram Titus [Gary sees Mary.]
• Bubble Popping Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Where do you think you're going?!"]
‣ Adventurers - Larry Hochman [Gary launches himself into the air.]
• New Vibe Hits 2007 - Nicolas Carr [Gary lands on a driver.]
‣ Drama Link (D) - Hubert Clifford [Driver screams.]
‣ Attack - Anthony Hymas [Gary jumps off.]
• Romantic Concerto Redux - Hiram Titus [Romantic music.]
‣ Sneaking About - Phil Green [SpongeBob still following the trail.]
• Romantic Concerto Redux - Hiram Titus ["Gary!"]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What the...?"]
‣ Cellar Search - Philippe Pares ["Hold it right there!"]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield [Gary admits he wandered out of the house.]
• Romantic Concerto Redux - Hiram Titus ["Oh, I see why."]
• Soap Opera Scene 1 - Hiram Titus ["Hey, this ain't over yet, runt!"]
• Soap Opera Scene 2 - Hiram Titus ["Monica!"]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Gary and the bully snail growl at each other.]
• Romantic Concerto Redux - Hiram Titus [Monica and Brad leave.]
• Steel Licks 9 - Jeremy Wakefield ["That's got to hurt, buddy."]
• Hooka - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending.]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob's Frozen Face-Off (UK version only), Gary Falls in Love, Loveable Sponge, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, Snail's Meow, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 11, Complete Seventh Season, and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- "Gary in Love" was ranked #13 during the SpongeBob's Top 100 event in the UK and Ireland from June 4-8, 2012.
- This, "Tunnel of Glove", and "Love That Squid" are both romance-themed episodes in season 7 and aired near Valentine's Day.
- When Gary enters the pet store, if one looks at the door while it is open, they can see a snail passing by that looks exactly like Gary, being walked.
- When the snails are screaming, one of them sounds oddly like Patrick.
- This episode and "Squid Baby" both end with SpongeBob saying, "They grow up so fast."
- He also says a variant at the end of "Bubble Buddy:" "They blow up so fast!"
- There is an online game based on this episode called Gary's Crush.
- When "Plankton's Pet" first premiered, it was paired up with this episode.
- This episode marks the second time Gary falls in love. The first was in "The Great Snail Race."
- Since the worms have poodle-like features in this episode, it proves that worms portray dogs in the series.
- When Gary leaves the house to look for Mary in one shot, the lights are off then on. It is impossible for that to happen since Gary had never been shown to turn on the lights.
- When Gary leaves the house, the door is open, but in the next scene, the door is seen closed.
- Monica looks different at the end and in the beginning.
- One of the blue worms that cross the street has its top row of teeth colored blue instead of white.