- Sandy Cheeks (narrator)
- SpongeBob SquarePants (2 cameos)
- Gary the Snail
- Farmer fish (debut)
- Patrick Star
- Squidward Tentacles (cameo)
- Eugene H. Krabs (cameo)
- Sheldon J. Plankton (cameo)
- Karen Plankton (cameo)
- Marvin (animal control officer) (debut)
- Alice Wilson (debut)
- Mystery the Seahorse
- Guard worm
- Debbie Rechid
- Mary's ex-boyfriend
- Lary the Snail
- Sea bear
The plot begins with Sandy Cheeks narrating as she explains that everyone in the Bikini Bottom has had a long day and are getting ready to hit the hay, which shows a farmer hitting his hay which turns into a bed as he begins sleeping. Eventually, it cuts to SpongeBob and Gary getting ready for bed, when SpongeBob falls asleep, Gary eventually creates a decoy of himself by spitting out some saliva, which SpongeBob doesn't notice.
Gary then goes outside as he begins to eat the garbage in the garbage cans, while he's eating some of the garbage, Patrick notices Gary eating the garbage as he refuses to share, which both eventually begin fighting with Patrick acting like a dog. Gary then does a loud roar that causes Patrick to become very frightened of Gary as he begins running away.
Gary eventually begins eating the garbage until the animal control car comes by, as a animal officer control named Marvin begins to chase after Gary, however he soon slips onto Gary's saliva and gets his net stuck onto his mouth as Gary begins laughing at the situation.
Gary quickly notices his watch as he begins to sneak away from Marvin while going to the Chum Bucket. As Garry sneaks into the Chum Bucket all the way to Plankton's bedroom to try and take Spot outside, he causes some of his saliva to drop onto Plankton's mouth, causing Plankton to begin choking onto the saliva that came into his mouth before spitting it out and falling back to sleep.
Gary quickly notices Spot and begins whispering to him, causing Spot to immediately wake up as he begins barking constantly, this annoys Karen and Plankton although they're still mostly asleep as they don't notice Gary is in their room.
Sandy, who is still narrating the episode, reveals that Gary and Spot are secretly best friends that leave their homes to play with each other every night.
After Gary helps Spot sneak out of the Chum Bucket, they play some wrestling which causes them to get into the Krusty Krab. Gary and Spot get hungry before they smell some food that's inside of a container.
However, they soon realize that the container is locked and that a key is needed to open the container. Spot gets angry and starts a huge mess at the kitchen in the Krusty Krab, which causes the container to fall as the top part of the container opens and showing a lot of food inside the container.
The Krusty Krab's lights then turn on, while Spot is seen waiting for his food to be served. Gary then forms into SpongeBob as he does SpongeBob's unique laugh, while he's seen cooking the food. After it's finished, Gary and Spot begin eating all of the food, resulting the restaurant to be in a complete mess as they begin playing with each other once more.
Marvin then notices Gary is inside the Krusty Krab as he breaks into the restaurant. He notices that Spot is with Gary as he begins threatening the two. Marvin tries to chase after the two but he eventually slips and falls once again, this time with the food on the floor, while Gary and Spot sneak away from Marvin.
Mr. Krabs notices Marvin inside the restaurant on the floor, as he believes that he's responsible for the whole entire mess in the Krusty Krab. Marvin tries to explain that he's only trying to hunt two animals that were wondering around the Bikini Bottom. Mr. Krabs however doesn't care as he's angry that Marvin got his Mimeco alarm running before he begins attacking Marvin with his own claws.
As Gary and Spot are seen far away from the Krusty Krab, they soon go into an abandoned ship which other sea animals encounter the two. However, Sandy soon reveals that they're just longtime friends of Gary and Spot as the animals, including Patrick Star, begin a party together.
Marvin then stops nearby the abandoned ship and notices the disco lights and music as he runs toward the place while he's dancing at the party, causing everyone else to stop dancing. Marvin then notices all of the animals and tells them that they're under arrest, his soon infuriates everyone else at the abandoned ship as they begin attacking Marvin, which Gary and Spot begin escaping. However they noticed that Marvin has captured everyone else inside of the ship as he puts them all into his animal control car before driving off.
Spot begins crying about what has happened to their friends, although Gary comes up with a plan as Spot gets on top of Gary which Spot then begins running fast with Gary still on top of him.
They eventually get to the animal shelter building and notice that a key is required to open the animal shelter building. Gary then spits out some saliva which forms into a key as Spot uses it to open up the building's door.
Gary and Spot notice everyone that have been captured by Marvin at the animal shelter building, as they try to figure out how to let them all free. Gary and Spot notice the emergency cage release lever, as they pull the lever down, freeing everyone that was trapped inside the Animal Shelter building.
Gary then decides to check and see what Marvin's doing, he soon notices that Marvin feels lonely and sad as Marvin begins crying. Gary feels bad about Marvin as he tells everyone about it, in order to come up with a plan to help Marvin.
Marvin then notices all of the animals are out of the cages as he begins questioning, he is then brought to a chair while Patrick, as a waiter, gives him a can snail food by opening it with his own mouth.
Gary then creates a female like fish named Alice by using his own saliva, causing Marvin to fall in love with Alice and begins thinking of all the things that he could do with her. Eventually leading Marvin to marrying Alice, causing everyone to cheer for Marvin, as he then frees the animals and Patrick from the animal shelter building.
Spot waves goodbye to Gary as he gets back into the Chum Bucket, with Gary going back to SpongeBob's house by pushing his decoy away and falling back to sleep. SpongeBob's alarm clock begins running as he wakes up Gary, however Gary then yawns and blushes about the situation, which led SpongeBob to decide to just sleep with Gary for a few more minutes.
Finally, Sandy then pops up as she concludes about the story of the episode, Gary then tells Sandy to shush before he begins sleeping again.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ ? [Sandy introduces the story]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [Gary escapes from SpongeBob's house and eats garbage outside Squidward's house]
‣ Man, Go Man! - Ralph Dollimore [Animal control truck arrives and Marvin tries to catch Gary]
‣ Hippomania - John Fox, Mac Prindy [Marvin's net gets tangled in his mouth]
‣ Droopy - Arthur Wilkinson [Gary checks his watch and leaves]
‣ Bridge 3 - Wilfred Burns [Gary goes to the Chum Bucket]
‣ Towerstreet 17 [#6] - Gerhard Narholz [Gary sneaks into Plankton's and Karen's bedroom to pick up Spot]
‣ The March of the Ants - Sidney Crooke [Gary and Spot playing outside the Chum Bucket, and enter the Krusty Krab]
‣ Unknown Track 45 - Nicolas Carr [Icebox is shown]
‣ Jovial Pirates Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Icebox is locked, but it gets opened]
‣ Playful Activity - Bernard Ebbinghouse [Gary and Spot eating all the food of the icebox]
‣ Spongeburglar - Nicolas Carr [Animal control truck pulls up outside the Krusty Krab]
‣ Eight Dramatic Bridges - Ronald Hanmer [Marvin enters at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Uh Oh Flutter-Eyed - [ProjectSAM Symphobia Colours: Animator] [Marvin slips with the food and falls]
‣ Laughter Trombone - [ProjectSAM Symphobia Colours: Animator] [Gary and Spot run away]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs appears behind Marvin]
‣ Persuasion - Johnny Hawksworth [Marvin shows his ID badge to Mr. Krabs]
‣ Sailor's Sting 15 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["I don't give a seafig about snails, you tripped me silent alarm!"]
‣ Sea Shanty in Minor Key - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton [Mr. Krabs goes after Marvin, while Gary and Spot hide into an abandoned ship]
‣ The Shock - Dick De Benedictis [Gary and Spot surrounded by other animals]
‣ Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Animals hug Gary and Spot]
‣ Unknown Track 95 - Techno dance music in the abandoned ship
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Animals attack Marvin and he puts them in the animal control truck]
‣ Hippomania - John Fox, Mac Prindy [Animal control truck drives away]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (v) - Jeremy Wakefield [Gary and Spot follow the animal control truck]
‣ Hiding Place - Marc Dall'Anese [Gary and Spot arrive at the animal shelter]
‣ ? [Gary's eyes peek through the door]
‣ Danger - Jack Shaindlin [All the animals locked up in cages]
‣ ? [Snail playing harmonica]
‣ Danger - Jack Shaindlin [All the animals locked up in cages]
‣ Sea Battle [#44] - John Fox [Gary releases all the animals from their cages]
‣ Zoom D - Dick De Benedictis [Gary peeks into Marvin's office]
‣ Evil Mind 4 - Dick De Benedictis [Gary peeks into Marvin's office]
‣ M'Wanna - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Marvin feels lonely and cries]
‣ ? [Animals serve dinner for Marvin, while Gary mades an slime fish for him named Alice]
‣ Sixties Happy Times - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Montage of Marvin and Alice at an amusement park]
‣ Bridal Chorus - Richard Wagner [Marvin marries Alice at the animal shelter]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (X) - Jeremy Wakefield [Animals cheering Marvin and Alice]
‣ Hula Festival - George Elliott [Marvin lets all the animals free]
‣ Happy Links 1-5 - Paul Fenoulhet [Gary returns to SpongeBob's house]
‣ Marching to Honolulu - Kapono Beamer [Ending]
- This is the third episode to focus on Spot after "Plankton's Pet" and "Spot Returns" respectively.
- This is the first episode that Andrew Overtoom has worked on since the season 8 episode "Hello Bikini Bottom!"
- When this episode first aired, it was paired up with "Gary's Got Legs."
- Plankton and Karen's bedroom from "Bottle Burglars" reappears in this episode.
- This is the first episode in which Gary blushes.
- In this episode, Sandy refers Spot as Plankton's head amoeba, which possibly means that all of Spot's puppies from "Spot Returns" may still live at the Chum Bucket.
- Marvin has Weenie Hut Jr's loyalty card along with his animal control license, which is a reference to "No Weenies Allowed."
- Glove World appears, but it got shut down in "Glove World R.I.P.", suggesting this takes place before that episode.
- This is the first time "Steel Lick" has been used since "Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom" in 2011.