- SpongeBob SquarePants
- SpongeBob's alarm clock
- Gary the Snail
- Patrick Star
- Squidward Tentacles (picture only)
- Incidental 73 (cameo)
- Incidental 27 (cameo)
- Incidental 48 (cameo)
- Margaret SquarePants (mentioned as "mother")
- Sheldon J. Plankton (pictured on the bench)
- Fire fish (cameo)
As the episode begins, SpongeBob wakes up to his alarm clock acting strange. It eventually breaks apart and SpongeBob notices the clock has been chewed on. He assumes Gary is to blame. SpongeBob uses tape to fix it, though it just falls backwards. SpongeBob then jumps off his bed and into his slippers, but Gary has chewed on them as well. SpongeBob then goes to brush his teeth, but when he pulls out his toothbrush, Gary is on the other end, chewing on it. SpongeBob tries to pull it away from him, but receives no success. He then tickles Gary, which makes him finally let go of the toothbrush, but then he starts to chew on his toothpaste instead.
SpongeBob wonders if Gary is teething again as milk goes through his bowl of cereal, and then Gary starts chewing on the table. SpongeBob then decides to buy Gary a chew toy. Gary licks him in response, then chews SpongeBob's nose.
SpongeBob and Gary are at the Pet Store, looking to pick out which chew toy to get. They meet up with Patrick, who is having some "free samples." SpongeBob tells Patrick why he is here and Patrick tells them that the chew toy is on an aisle next to the "most delicious snail treats." They walk over to a stand that reads "Tasty Time Snail Treats" with the toy aisle right next to it. Patrick eats at the stand while SpongeBob and Gary browse for a new toy.
SpongeBob picks out a bone, but Gary bites right through it. SpongeBob takes out a toy fire hydrant, but Gary bites onto the end, causing water to spray onto SpongeBob's face, thus disapproving SpongeBob into buying it. Patrick then points out the Pet Point 3000. SpongeBob is interested, but not so much Gary, who crawls away. Patrick then starts to play with the toy, but ends up getting the laser shot through his head and his brain pops out, which SpongeBob then puts back in. Gary then notices a shiny red ball and loves it, SpongeBob decides to buy it for him.
Back at SpongeBob's house, SpongeBob and Gary are playing with Gary's new toy ball. SpongeBob asks for Gary to bring it back, but notices he is constantly chewing on it. SpongeBob walks off, happy that Gary is not chewing on any of his stuff anymore. SpongeBob notices that he has not heard Gary squeaking with the toy in awhile and starts to look for him. He then finds Gary having a tea party with his red ball. SpongeBob tries to join in, but Gary takes out a stroller, puts the red ball in it, and crawls away.
SpongeBob, thinking Gary loves the red ball more than him, decides to lure him out with some Slimycan Snail Food. He goes into the garage and notices Gary wearing lipstick, which he finds creepy. SpongeBob tells Gary that he needs to spend some time away from the ball, but Gary hits the garage door button, causing SpongeBob to be lifted up and crushed on the ceiling.
Annoyed (and jealous because Gary likes the ball more than him), SpongeBob gets fed up with Gary's recent behavior and demands him to hand over the ball. SpongeBob hears from Gary that he has hidden it, but SpongeBob is suspicious, as Gary is crawling away. SpongeBob grabs Gary and opens up his shell to pull out three hairballs and his wallet. He reaches back into the shell and eventually finds the ball. SpongeBob then puts the ball on a high dresser and goes to sleep, telling Gary that he will be sick of the ball by the following morning. The red ball glows an ominous red, which causes Gary's eyes to turn red as well.
The next morning, SpongeBob wakes up and notices Gary and the red ball are gone. He starts to look for them and eventually finds Gary chewing on the ball on the ceiling. SpongeBob asks Gary to come down, but Gary does not budge. SpongeBob then walks on the ceiling to get him, but falls down. He then tries to use a broom, but ends up knocking his own eyes out of his head. SpongeBob eventually scrapes Gary down and tries to grab the ball, but Gary accidentally bites him instead. SpongeBob is shocked and tells Gary to make a choice: him or the ball. Gary leans towards the latter choice, leading SpongeBob to have to leave his pineapple house and find a new life.
Later, Gary is watching television, but then gets hungry and so looks around the house for SpongeBob to feed him. He then remembers SpongeBob saying he is leaving and so then cries from his depression. Gary knows what is best and tries to go and find SpongeBob and apologize to him for his choice, but the ball stops him. It then starts bouncing everywhere, destroying everything in the process. Gary tries to get out of the house.
He makes it outside and SpongeBob is seen laying under a bus bench, still sad about Gary's choice. SpongeBob then notices Gary on the bus bench, happy that Gary changed his mind and finally decided to abandon the ball.
Once the two walk home, SpongeBob's house explodes and is set on fire while the firemen are trying to put the fire out. The red ball (that has became burnt due to the fire) flies out beside them and SpongeBob asks if it was his ball. Gary viciously hisses at it. The episode ends there.
- Gary chewing on SpongeBob's household items.
- SpongeBob losing his wallet and talking about his canceled credit cards.
- SpongeBob's alarm clock breaking down every time when it rings.
|( ‣ ) Production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Ripped Hide - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 12 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob's alarm clock coughs]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm..."]
• A Pineapple Luau - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob tapes up his alarm clock]
• A Simple Conversation 1 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [hole in SpongeBob's cereal bowl]
‣ Cocksure Capers - Phil Green [at the pet store]
‣ Hop and Skip - Phil Green [wall of toys]
• Slide Whistle Stooges 2 - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Look, a red dot!"]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr ["Where is Gary anyway?"]
• Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [Gary sees a red ball]
• Birth of the Krabby Patty - Nicolas Carr [Gary sees a red ball]
‣ Hop and Skip - Phil Green [Gary slithers up to the red ball]
• Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Gary come home]
‣ Mini Skirt - Norman Dane [SpongeBob watching TV]
• Clowning Around Again Short - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob looking for Gary]
‣ Spindlelegs - Cedric King-Palmer [tea party]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 17A - Jeremy Wakefield ["Gee, I think he likes that ball more than me."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 19 - Jeremy Wakefield ["That is not tea!"]
‣ Me for You - George Callert [SpongeBob opens a can of snail food]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 30 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Darn it, Gary!"]
‣ Creeping Up [#63] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Gary with lipstick]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 28 - Jeremy Wakefield [Gary takes the ball, leaves]
• The Donut Dilema - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob searches Gary's shell for the ball]
• Drama Sting 3 - Steve Marston [Gary stares at the ball]
• Silly Bob Conversation 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob wakes up]
‣ Fates [#61] - Gregor F. Narholz [Gary bites SpongeBob]
• Blazing Baloney Western - Nicolas Carr [Gary watching TV]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Gary looking for SpongeBob]
‣ Fates [#62] - Gregor F. Narholz [Gary remembers SpongeBob leaving]
‣ Danger HQ - Norman Dane [Gary glares at the ball]
‣ Battle Zone - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Gary puts the ball in a blender]
• Salt Water Works - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob under a bus stop]
• Rip Tide - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob hugs Gary]
‣ Drama Link (D) - Hubert Clifford [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 15, Heroes in Action, Bizarro Bikini Bottom, Glove World Forever!, Evil Spatula, Complete Ninth Season, Next 100 Episodes, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- When this episode premiered, it was paired up with "Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team Up is Go!"
- Gary's red ball appears in the title card between the words "New" and "Toy."
- SpongeBob mentions Patrick not having a pet in this episode, but he is revealed to have a pet rock named Rocky in "The Great Snail Race."
- This episode shows that Gary understands SpongeBob's language as gibberish, but still knows what he is saying just as SpongeBob understands Gary's "meow"s.
- This episode reveals that Gary has some canine instincts.
- This episode confirms that Plankton's number is 1-800-EAT-CHUM, which could also be shortened to 328–2486.
- When calling 1-800-EAT-CHUM in real life, it directs the caller to a Toyota sales place.
- A clip from this episode was used in Nick bumpers in 2013.
- This episode reveals that Gary has some canine instincts.
- This is the only episode that writer Marc Ceccarelli worked on without Luke Brookshier.
- This is the second episode for a few things:
- Before the tea party scene, a picture of Squidward is briefly seen.
- List of items in SpongeBob's house that Gary has chewed on:
- SpongeBob's alarm clock
- Bunny slippers
- A toothbrush
- A tube of toothpaste
- A bowl
- The ball that holds up SpongeBob's kitchen table
- To date, this episode marks the last usage of the track "Me for You."
- This is the first time that Fates #62 plays since "You Don't Know Sponge" in season 7.
- This is the only season 9 episode to use the track "Slide Whistle Stooges 2."
- This episode marks the final appearance of the nematodes to date.
- Although Gary's first name has been said to be short for "Garold" in "A Pal for Gary," in this episode, it is said to be short for "Gareth."
- The pet store in this episode hasn't been seen in any other episodes, though other pet stores have appeared throughout the series, such as the one in "Gary in Love."
- This episode also marks the only appearance of Grandma's Apron worm food.
- Gary hissing at the end with thick eyebrows alludes to Larry from the episode "Dumped."
- SpongeBob also said "Outta sight, outta mind" in "Fungus Among Us."
- Gary remembering SpongeBob leaving and speaking gibberish is similar to how Patrick listens to SpongeBob in "The Card" and "The Main Drain."
- SpongeBob's chewed up alarm clock floats instead of falling down at the beginning.