- Squidward Tentacles
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Harold (red fish)
- Norma Rechid
- Sandy Cheeks
- Patrick Star
- Abigail (light blue fish)
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott
- Shubie (light blue)
- Jimmy Gus
- Peterson Nat Tucker
- Norma Rechid
- Grandma (debut)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- French Narrator
- Squidward's house
- Dr. Actor
One morning in Bikini Bottom, SpongeBob tells Squidward it's time for work and says "another day another dollar," but Squidward says, "more like another nickel," which makes SpongeBob laugh uncontrollably. Squidward then goes through a whole day at work with SpongeBob laughing, and even at night. The next day at work, after SpongeBob told the "nickel joke" to the customers, Squidward has decided he has had enough of SpongeBob's incessant laughter. He then sees SpongeBob hurting himself when he laughs, so he tricks him into believing that SpongeBob has a laugh-related illness. According to the made-up disease, if SpongeBob laughs one more time in the next 24 hours, his laugh box will explode, and he will never be able to laugh or giggle again.
For the rest of the day, SpongeBob fights every single urge to chuckle. First, he sees Patrick trip over a banana peel several times and runs away. Next, he sees that whoopee cushions are all over the town. Last, he sees a pie truck in an accident and some of the pie land on some fish. In a drastic measure, he buries himself never to be interrupted by a joke during the night. The next morning, SpongeBob discovers that he has completely lost the ability to laugh. He tells Patrick that he has lost his laugh, but when Patrick looks inside SpongeBob and lights a match, he runs around in circles.
Later, SpongeBob goes to the Krusty Krab to tell Mr. Krabs that he has lost his laugh. Mr. Krabs says that money always makes him laugh, but SpongeBob doesn't feel a tickle. Next, SpongeBob consults Sandy. Sandy gives SpongeBob books about laughter. SpongeBob reads the books but still doesn't have any effect on his laugh box. Now utterly grief-stricken, all SpongeBob can do is bawl his eyes out, meaning more noise than ever. Feeling guilty but still wanting peace and quiet, Squidward finally confesses to the sad SpongeBob, as his weeping has been more annoying than his giggles and after Squidward admits everything, SpongeBob laughs to see it has been a good joke and Squidward joins in the laughter. When Squidward says, "You even fell for the thermometer in the boiling oil routine!" SpongeBob immediately stops laughing, saying it's not really funny and goes inside his house. When Squidward laughs too much, his laugh box goes out and is taken to the hospital.
Later, it is revealed that Squidward has broken his laugh box and Purple Doctorfish points out that one of the others has given him half of their laugh box. It isn't Patrick, Mr. Krabs, or Sandy; it was SpongeBob who shows the bandage to prove it. Shocked, Squidward starts to laugh like SpongeBob, to his great horror. He and SpongeBob laugh together before Squidward runs out of the building still laughing like SpongeBob in maniac state. SpongeBob then says, "Ah, there he goes off to share his laugh with the world," followed by his own laughter.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Happy Sponge Chase Vibes - Nicolas Carr [Title card]
‣ 12th Street Rag - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [opening]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward annoyed by SpongeBob's laughter]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [the next day]
‣ King Conga - Dennis Farnon [SpongeBob's sides aching as he laughs]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [Squidward warns SpongeBob about breaking his laughbox]
‣ Like Strange - Kenny Graham ["Listen, SpongeBob, this is serious."]
‣ Dancing the Hula - Kapono Beamer ["Hey, Patrick, you wanna hear a joke?"]
‣ Funeral March (b) - Richard Myhill [iron laughbox]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [Squidward tells SpongeBob to stop laughing]
‣ Flop and Go A - John Fox [whoopee cushions]
‣ Try On and On A - Hans Ehrlinger [pie truck]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob runs away]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob tries to laugh but can't]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford ["I've lost my laugh!"]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob screams]
• Steel Licks 3 - Jeremy Wakefield ["It's terrible, Patrick. I can't laugh anymore."]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob enters Krabs' office]
‣ Botany Bay (c) - Robert Alexander White ["You've come to the right place, son."]
‣ Dancing the Hula - Kapono Beamer [at Sandy's]
‣ Pua Paoakalani B - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani [SpongeBob depressed]
‣ Kamakani B - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob crying]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["This charade has to end!"]
‣ Comic Tension (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [Squidward goes up to SpongeBob's door]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward admits he made it up]
‣ ? - "You mean my laughbox isn't broken?"
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["I could laugh the whole time?"]
‣ 12th Street Rag 3 - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Squidward laughing]
‣ Bashful Eyes - Kapono Beamer [Squidward in the hospital]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [ending]
- This episode is available on the Lost in Time DVD and VHS, Complete Fourth Season, The Third & Fourth Seasons, The Best 200 Episodes Ever, Season 4 Volume 1, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- This was Todd White's final episode as the character designer before he was replaced by Robertryan Cory.
- This was the first episode to be written by Steven Banks.
- In the April 1, 2016 airing, this episode paired with "Pranks a Lot," due to the April Fools marathon on Nickelodeon.
- On the April 1, 2017 airing of this episode, the episode's theme song is replaced with a rock version of the theme song.
- This episode was originally going to be called "Unfunny Pants," but when it aired on Nick, it was changed to "Funny Pants."
- This was the first episode to be written by both Luke Brookshier and Tom King. They worked on a total of 19 episodes.
- Mr. Krabs is absent when the Krusty Krab closed up in the beginning.
- SpongeBob first used the line "Another day, another dollar" in the episode "Krabby Land."
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob is fooled by Squidward. The first is "Graveyard Shift."
- The plot of this episode is very similar to that of "Fools in April." In both episodes, Squidward plays a prank on SpongeBob in order to get some peace and quiet, SpongeBob became greatly saddened and depressed because of Squidward's prank, and towards the end, Squidward apologizes and then runs off laughing maniacally.
- The fez hat Squidward is wearing when he says SpongeBob became a sad sack is also seen in "Good Neighbors."
- The Laughing Machine SpongeBob is attached to is similar in appearance to an "iron lung" breathing aid.
- This episode marks the second time Squidward's house has grown hands. The first is in "Good Neighbors."
- When Squidward plays his clarinet after the "Later that same evening" time card, he plays the same music ("Mary Had a Little Lamb") as in "The Paper," and he still plays it incorrectly.
- The episode has a similar title card background to that of "Squirrel Jokes."
- This episode premiered two years after the Christmas DVD and VHS and Nicktoons Christmas were released.
- This episode, along with "Dunces and Dragons," "Selling Out," and "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture," were the last episodes to have a VHS release.
- In the Croatian dub, the episode's title is "Smjehuljak" or "Laughter."
- This episode premiered on Vincent Waller's 45th birthday.
- This is the only episode where SpongeBob has a squeaky effect to his laugh.
- While SpongeBob is laughing on his way to work, parts of his belt flicker between black and white.
- When Sandy tells Patrick if he wants to hear a joke, her tail is there. When SpongeBob says, "Sure. I'd love a good laugh" and it cuts right back to them, Sandy's tail is missing. Then, in the next shot, it is back again.
- When Sandy says, "Flies" when telling Patrick her joke, her lip movements don't correspond with the dialogue.
- When Patrick is about to go inside SpongeBob, his pants are a darker shade of green for a second.
- When Sandy explains the science of laughter, she pulls down a diagram of a fish. However, the diagram shows the fish with lungs even though fish have gills.
- When Sandy pulls down her diagraph, her tail disappears for a split second.
- When Squidward bursts through the hospital wall near the end of the episode, the heart monitor is still running.
- When Squidward runs off his bed in the hospital, it seems like he is walking on air.