This article is in need of a better quality video. Please help Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by uploading a better video.
- Realistic Fish Head
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 107
- Sled Worms
- Talking worm (debut)
- Robot worms (debut)
- Mr. Krabs' worms (debut)
- Larry's worm (debut)
- Nathiel Waters
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Perch Perkins
- Sandy Cheeks
- Squidward Tentacles
- Nat Peterson
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Plankton robot (debut)
- Karen Plankton
- Jellyfish (cameo)
- Patrick Star
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott
- Gary the Snail
- Norma Rechid
- Larry the Lobster
- Fish on the PA (heard only)
- Fred (green fins; normal)
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- French Narrator
- Abominable snow mollusk (debut)
- Santa Claus (mentioned)
- Mr. Krabs' Crew (debut)
- Medley (green fish)
- Papa Plankton (mentioned)
Johnny Elaine and Perch Perkins announces on the news that a sled race is occurring in Bikini Bottom with the prize being one million dollars and that all of Bikini Bottom has entered. Patrick says that he hopes he wins but only has gummy worms that lead his sled. Mr. Krabs, Plankton, Squidward, SpongeBob, and Sandy also prepare for the race. However, Plankton sneaks off to the Krusty Krab just before the race begins and uses a robot as his replacement in the race. Patrick soon catches up to SpongeBob and he agrees to let Patrick come along, much to Gary's dismay. Meanwhile, at the Krusty Krab, Plankton has trouble opening the safe of the Secret Formula.
Back in the race, Sandy's sled crashes and Squidward's worm stops racing due to tea time. Squidward gets angry and goes on foot, only to fall through the ice and freeze. He is soon discovered by SpongeBob and Patrick, who take him along with them. Shortly after, they find Sandy in a pile of snow and they bring her along too. Mr. Krabs' worms become hungry, and they get mad and chase Mr. Krabs. SpongeBob lets Mr. Krabs come along as well. The worms chase SpongeBob and the gang, and Gary has trouble pulling all of them. They are cornered at a dead end and Gary roars like a lion to scare the worms away.
The gang decides to stop there and make a fire. Squidward thaws out, just before encountering The Abominable Snow Mollusk who tries to attack the group. Squidward runs away and jumps into a cold body of water which freezes him again. The group continues the race and realize that they forgot Squidward soon after. They go after him and save him from the Snow Mollusk with the help of Patrick's last gummy worm. They continue on and Sandy realizes that Mr. Krabs has betrayed the group and gone off on his own so that he could win the prize himself, but got stung by a jellyfish that flew into his mouth in the process.
Patrick then points out that he "saw something shiny" and SpongeBob notices that it is Karen. They also discover robot Plankton who is buried in the snow and Karen explains that the whole race was a plot for him to steal the Krabby Patty secret formula from the Krusty Krab undetected. SpongeBob and the group go southwest to find Mr. Krabs. After a while, Gary is unable to go any further.
Back at the Krusty Krab, the real Plankton fails to break open the Secret Formula safe yet again. Frustrated, Plankton proceeds to rip an "atom" in half which causes a nuclear explosion, destroying the Krusty Krab and opening the safe. Meanwhile, SpongeBob pulls the sled until they find a frozen Mr, Krabs, whom they later inform about what Plankton is doing. All of them, except Sandy, freeze. Sandy saves their lives by starting a fire with parts from the sled. Sandy figures out how to use the members of the group as a substitute sled. They return to Bikini Bottom to see that the Krusty Krab has been destroyed and Plankton has stolen the formula. However, he cannot get the bottle open. The group finds Plankton trying to open it. When Plankton expresses his frustration at not being able to open the bottle, Patrick opens the bottle, allowing Plankton to finally take the formula out.
Plankton then pretends to surrender and uses a pen to fly away out of the Chum Bucket. The group chases Plankton into a net trap that Plankton trapped them in. However, the Snow Mollusk returns, frees the group, and eats Patrick's jelly beans, then hugs the little pink sea star. Plankton escapes but the Snow Mollusk mistakes him for a jelly bean and eats him dropping the secret formula in the process, returning the formula to Mr. Krabs with Karen showing no sympathy for Plankton. The episode ends as Plankton waits to be digested.
- Squidward falling into cold water and being frozen solid.
- Plankton attempting to open the safe.
The production name for this episode was "The Great Sleigh Race," as seen on some of the original character storyboards on Facebook. To take a look, click here. It may have been possible that they changed the name because it sounded too similar to "The Great Snail Race."
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Greenhorn Rag - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
• Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr [Breaking news]
‣ Jubilee Sports - Dennis Berry, Stuart Crombie [Contestants lined up]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Best of luck to you."]
• ? [Plankton sneaking away]
‣ Mr. Swashbuckle - James McConnel [Race begins]
• Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Meanwhile, back in the lowlands..."]
• Down in Davey Jones Locker - Nicolas Carr [Plankton at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Chasing Dragons - Assaf Rinde [Race continues]
• Wiggle Wobble - Pat Irwin [Plankton sneaks into Krabs' office]
‣ Mad Street - James McConnel [Sandy's remote shorts out/Squidward is frozen]
• Wiggle Wobble - Pat Irwin ["Wow, look at that!"]
• Steel Licks 26 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Buddy! He doesn't look so hot."]
• Wiggle Wobble - Pat Irwin [Patrick throws Squidward into the sleigh]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr ["Patrick, did you hear that?"]
• Steel Licks 6 - Jeremy Wakefield [Sandy emerges from the snow]
• In a Minor Mood Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Sniff out the money, little guys! Come on! Marsh!"]
‣ From the Dead - Ronald Hanmer [Worms growl at Krabs]
• ? [Worms chasing Krabs/"This is a dead end!"]
• Steel Licks 10 - Jeremy Wakefield [Gary scares away the worms]
• Heroes to the Rescue - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Everyone cheers]
‣ Murder Scene 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Avalanche]
• Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Everyone gathered around a fire]
‣ Fruity Flute - Harry Bluestone [Gary retreats into his shell]
• Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Mr. Krabs' lips shatter off]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea]
• Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Hey, how about a campfire song?"]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["This isn't mine."]
‣ Monster Bug (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [Abominable snow mollusk appears]
‣ The Creature (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [Snow mollusk shoots snowballs]
• Steel Licks 4 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward frozen again]
‣ The Creature (c) - Gregor F. Narholz ["She's reloading! Now's our chance to scram."]
‣ Gargantuan - Harry Lubin [Krabs explains]
‣ A Pirate's Life for Me (a) - Ron Goodwin [Flashback to Krabs as a sea captain]
‣ Gargantuan - Harry Lubin [Snow mollusk appears]
‣ Dramatic Encounter - Gregor F. Narholz [Snow mollusk eats Krabs and crew]
‣ Cloak and Dagger [#70] - Phil Green ["Let's just say... We had to wait... for nature, to take its course."]
• New Vibe Hits 2007 - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm? Oh!"]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Ew!"]
‣ The Creature (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [They escape from the snow mollusk]
‣ Tragic Bridge 4 - Phil Green [Squidward's missing]
‣ Touch the Skies - Barrie Hingley [They go back for Squidward]
‣ Attack of the Giant Robots - Cris Velasco [SpongeBob saves Squidward]
‣ Touch the Skies - Barrie Hingley [Snow mollusk roars]
• Hawaiian Solo Steel - Nicolas Carr, Jeremy Wakefield [Snow mollusk eats gummy worm]
‣ The Silver Blade - Ilona Sekacz ["Woo, wee! That was a close one, wasn't it, Mr. Krabs?"]
• Drunken Sailor - Nicolas Carr [Krabs tries to sneak away]
‣ Heroes to the Rescue - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Full speed ahead and don't stop for nothin', Gary!"]
• Hawaiian Solo Steel - Nicolas Carr, Jeremy Wakefield ["What's the big emergency, Patrick?"]
• Closing the Door - Nicolas Carr [Karen frozen]
‣ Murder Scene 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["I'd say she's in swift need of a reboot."]
‣ Retro Cool 03 095 D - Steve Sechi/Big Fish Audio [Sandy karate kicks Karen]
• In the Cooler Tension Build Up - Nicolas Carr, Dick de Benedictis ["You can't stand a chance, Krabs."]
‣ Horror Strike [#45] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Broken robot]
‣ Imminent Action [#11] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Karen says the race was devised by Plankton]
‣ The Silver Blade - Ilona Sekacz [They head southwest]
• Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Plankton uses a flamethrower to open the safe]
• Wiggle Wobble - Pat Irwin ["Yooooouch! So the safe is impervious to flame, eh?"]
‣ Crescendo Fin 10 A - Marcin Pospieszalski ["...destructive!"]
‣ Accusation - Gerhard Trede [Gary struggling up a mountain]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr [Gary stops]
‣ Sword Fight - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Sleigh goes downhill]
‣ Shark Attack (a) - John Charles Fiddy [Snow mollusk reappears]
• Wiggle Wobble - Pat Irwin [Plankton uses dynamite to open the safe]
‣ Agitation Bridge 3 - Phil Green ["All right, fellas, I know it's cold. But let's just push forward and keep a lookout for a frozen crab."]
‣ Tragic Bridge 2 - Phil Green ["You said it, SpongeBob."]
• Steel Licks 1 - Jeremy Wakefield [Jelly beans]
‣ Tragic Situation - Phil Green [Gary shivering]
‣ High Hazard - Philippe Pares ["We must be headed in the right direction."]
‣ Attack - Anthony Hymas [Plankton flying a rocket]
• Steel Licks 25 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Perhaps I misjudged the scale on that one."]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 4 - Phil Green ["I will spill your contents even if I have to tear you apart!"]
• Steel Licks 4 - Jeremy Wakefield [Krusty Krab destroyed]
• Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr ["Come to papa!"]
‣ Accusation - Gerhard Trede [SpongeBob pulling the sleigh]
‣ Tragic Situation - Phil Green [Krabs, SpongeBob, Patrick and Gary frozen]
‣ Animal Antics [#45] - Phil Green [Sandy burning wood from the sleigh]
• ? - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward playing clarinet]
‣ Thrill Ride - Gregor F. Narholz [Modified sleigh to go back to Bikini Bottom/Gang arrives at Bikini Bottom]
• Steel Licks 4 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Perhaps over there."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [Chum Bucket serving Krabby Patties]
• Silly Bob Conversation 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Whoa, whoa, whoa! You can't cut in line! We've been waiting for a Krabby Patty for three stinking days!"]
• Unknown Track 12 - ? [Plankton struggling to open the bottle]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney [Patrick opens the bottle]
• Silly Bob Conversation 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Karen zaps Plankton]
• Greenhorn Rag - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Everyone chases Plankton]
‣ Long Distance Mission [#20] - Phil Green [Plankton traps everyone in a giant fryer]
‣ The Creature (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [Snow mollusk returns]
• Pineapple Luau - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Snow mollusk eats Patrick's jelly beans]
• Rip Tide - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob's Frozen Face-Off, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 12, Complete Eighth Season, Next 100 Episodes, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs.
- To promote the premiere of this episode, the Nickelodeon website featured poems from Patchy that gave clues about the abominable snow mollusk. They were advertised in on-air commercials, and viewers could visit Nick.com to guess what Patchy's clues meant.
- Although this episode premiered in 2011, it was made in 2010 according to the credits.
- The frozen tundra reappears in the Nick.com point-and-click games SpongeBob's Big Adventures and SpongeBob's Next Big Adventures.
- This is the first half hour special of season 8.
- This marks the 300th episode segment of the series in both production order and airing order.
- This episode was simulcast in the United States and the Netherlands.
- Innuendo: While Mr. Krabs are stuck inside the abominable snow mollusk they have to wait for nature's course which makes SpongeBob shiver.
- This episode strangely has no bubble transition before the episode starts after the title card's credits, making this the first, and so far, only half-hour special not to feature a bubble transition at the beginning.
- The title card background for this episode is similar to that of "Survival of the Idiots."
- Squidward's outfit resembles those worn in Russia during winter.
- SpongeBob mentions the "Campfire Song Song" and Squidward reacts annoyed again.
- The fighter jet that Plankton flies resembles the real life Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon. The F-16 was first manufactured by General Dynamics, the same company that created the F-111, and later by Lockheed Martin. Today, the F-16 is used by the US Air Force and its export customers such as Israel.
- When Plankton rips an atom, he is ripping off protons and neutrons from the atom. Such acts release a tremendous amount of energy. In theory this is enough energy to split another atom, causing a chain reaction that could result in an atomic explosion as shown in the episode.
- The "molecule" Plankton rips apart only contains four baryons. In real life this would be a helium atom, rather than molecular iron.
- In Indonesia, "One Frozen Wasteland Later" time card was changed to "Satu Menit Kemudian" (One Minute Later). This was done to simplify the translation.
- "One Frozen Wasteland Later" in Indonesian mean "Satu Gurun Beku Kemudian".
- Plankton cannot open the Krabby Patty secret formula bottle because he cannot get the cork off with his hands. However, in "Plankton's Army" and "Bucket Sweet Bucket," he is shown getting the cork off by using a corkscrew.
- The plot of Plankton keeping everyone busy in a race so he can easily get the Krabby Patty secret formula, is similar to that of Baytona 500.
- This episode was promoted as "SpongeBob's Frozen Face-Off." The DVD cover still has this title.
- There is an app game that is based on this episode.
- This is the second episode that had a plot change occur between airing and advertisements, the first being "Truth or Square."
- This is the second episode where Gary roars like a lion, the first being in "Your Shoe's Untied" to talk to SpongeBob. This time he roars like a lion to frighten off vicious worms.
- This is the second appearance of claymation in the series, with the first being the SpongeBob SquarePants Theme Song for "Truth or Square."
- The live-action footage of atomic bomb explosion shown in this episode was reused from "Dying for Pie" and "The Krusty Plate," which is an actual underwater explosion on Bikini Atoll, the island near which the series takes place.
- This is the third episode to show an atomic explosion. The first is "Dying for Pie" and the second is "The Krusty Plate."
- This is the last episode to have five writers. The others were "Bubblestand," "Friend or Foe," and "The Clash of Triton."
- Despite being a winter-themed episode, this episode premiered in the US in July, during the summer.
- The Abominable Snow Mollusk's name is the series' equivalent to a Yeti, commonly referred to as an "Abominable Snowman."
- The Abominable Snow Mollusk's design, along with it attacking Mr. Krabs' ship, is a reference to the mythical Kraken. A Kraken appears in "Grandpappy the Pirate."
- Everyone in Bikini Bottom participated in the race. However, Fred is shown to be sleeping in his house, and seven customers have been waiting for a Krabby Patty for three days.
- Fred appears as a cameraman on television, and is then shown sleeping in his house.
- When SpongeBob says "She loves your jelly beans, Patrick!," Sandy's boots are white instead of gray.
- When the parachute falls onto Plankton, his mouth is missing for a split second.
- When Squidward is falling off the cliff, he has a displeased expression on his face. However, after everyone hits the ground, his expression changes.
- Also, Squidward's ice should've completely broken cause of that hit.
- Everyone's clothes inexplicably change right before the campfire scene.