- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles (cameo)
- Patrick Star (cameo)
- Karen Plankton
- Betsy Krabs (mentioned)
- French Narrator
- Incidental 41
- Incidental 46
- Incidental 105
- Incidental 45
- Baby Billy
- Incidental 60
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 47
- Incidental 103
- Incidental 102
- Incidental 155 (name revealed)
- King Neptune (mentioned)
- Incidental 108
- Fred (cameo)
- Incidental 49
- Incidental 65
- Incidental 64
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 106
- Incidental 67
- Incidental 14
- Incidental 107
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 115
- Incidental 37A
- Incidental 37B
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 73
- Old Man Jenkins
- Incidental 36
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 13
- Incidental 17
- Incidental 92
- Incidental 153
- Incidental 9
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 158
- Incidental 20
- Incidental 15
Plotting to ruin Mr. Krabs, Plankton comes up with a "new and original" idea: giving out free samples. However, Karen points out this idea is not "new and original" at all. Plankton gives out free chum sticks to eager Bikini Bottomites, but not long after they eat his chum, they start to suffer from food poisoning. Plankton makes a run for it, and the sickened customers pursue him to the Chum Bucket, where he hides from the furious mob. Plankton angrily points out that the people would never do this to Mr. Krabs if he gave out free samples, and gets an idea.
He sells chumburgers under the name "Krabby Patties" and gives them out for free, with the intent of smearing the Krusty Krab's name. However, one person says that he is the same guy who made given rotten chum samples and tells the customers it was his brother-in-law Flankton and they believe him. Sure enough, the customers get sick.
When SpongeBob goes to the Krusty Krab, he sees an angry mob, mistaking it for a crowd of hungry and impatient customers. When he enters, he sees Mr. Krabs hiding behind a table, who explains that the customers have turned on him and the Krabby Patties. A brick is thrown through the window, wrapped in a piece of paper which says the Krabby Patties taste terrible. SpongeBob is shocked, and they realize they need to win their customers back. Mr. Krabs comes up with the idea to triple the prices, but SpongeBob says it is not a good idea, so Mr. Krabs decides to lower prices: by one cent. SpongeBob tells Mr. Krabs the only way to win them back is to give away free samples, which horrifies Mr. Krabs. When he realizes that no customers at all is worse than giving away free samples, he reluctantly agrees.
Soon after, SpongeBob goes on the streets with a grill, ready to give away free Krabby Patties. Mr. Krabs is having second thoughts, but SpongeBob chains him to heavy concrete blocks, telling Mr. Krabs that it is for his own good. SpongeBob announces his free goods, but nobody answers. SpongeBob uses his backup plan: playing a calliope with Squidward acting as the monkey. People are attracted to the sounds of the calliope, and Squidward in a monkey costume dances to a woman and a baby in a stroller. When the baby throws a coin at Squidward's head, he rips off his costume and leaves.
When the people learn that SpongeBob is giving out free Krabby Patties, they are hesitant. Mr. Krabs laughs that even free is not good enough for them, then is horrified when he realizes how bad that is for business. He gives up and leaves. Plankton watches from afar, celebrating his accomplishment in ruining the Krusty Krab.
SpongeBob tries a different approach: selling "New" Krabby Patties. This does not work at first, until a customer's hunger gets the best of him and he realizes he would rather take his chances than go hungry any longer. As soon as he takes a bite, he is instantly smitten with the Krabby Patty. He empties his pockets and asks how much it will get him. More people come to eat free samples, as well as paying extra, feeling the Krabby Patty is so good it should not be free. When Plankton hears the commotion, he walks over and gets upset.
A truck dumps money on SpongeBob, as does a helicopter, which causes money to fly all around. One bill lands on Mr. Krabs' nose, and he runs to the stand. He leaps into the pile of money, right on top of Plankton, and makes money angels. SpongeBob joins him, but they stop when they hear Plankton's high-pitched screams. Mr. Krabs asks what that noise was, but SpongeBob did not hear it. They resume making money angels as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• Greenhorn Rag - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
• Light Conversation 1 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [opening]
• Shop-O-Rama - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez [Plankton giving free samples of chum]
• Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Everyone eats the chum.]
‣ Mystery Murder [#58] - Phillip Green [Everyone gets sick ]
‣ Mystery Murder [#60] - Phillip Green ["I had no idea the chum was this rotten."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer ["Hey, he's making a run for it!"]
• A Casual Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Patrick enjoys the chum.]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr [Plankton gets an idea.]
• Shop-O-Rama - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez ["Free Krabby Patties!"]
• Who Said That - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Hey, wait a minute."]
• Down in Davy Jones' Locker - Nicolas Carr ["That wasn't me."]
‣ Straight from Hell - Gregor F. Narholz [Everyone gets sick.]
‣ The Great White (g) - Gregor F. Narholz [Guy falls over.]
‣ Shoppers World - Harry Bluestone ["Krabby Patties, anyone?"]
‣ Horror Crash - Harry Lubin [Everyone vomits.]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr [angry mob outside Krusty Krab]
‣ Muscovite Rebellion - David Arnold, Paul Hart ["You!"]
‣ Creeping Up [#63] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["What is going on out there?"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 4 - Jeremy Wakefield [Mr. Krabs lowers the price by one cent.]
• Melodramatic Moments - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Mr. Krabs cries/"We simply give Krabby Patties away for fr..."]
‣ Cloak and Dagger [#70] - Phil Green ["Time? It's too soon!"]
• Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["I don't remember saying that."]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [Krabs screams/"No!"]
‣ Horror Strike [#45] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["It's for your own good, Eugene."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 12 - Jeremy Wakefield [Mr. Krabs cries.]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede ["I can't believe how well this is turning out!"]
• Unknown Track 16 - Nicolas Carr [calliope music]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 10 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward leaves.]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede [Plankton laughs]
• Broken Hearted Frycook - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Not this time, boy."]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 17 - Jeremy Wakefield ["Well, only one thing left to do now."]
• Happy Sack Shanty - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [five minutes later...]
‣ Variety Link (d) - Dick Stephen Walter ["Try them for free!"]
‣ Desperate Situation - Phil Green ["No! Wait!"]
‣ Expectant Stab [#28] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Everyone gasps.]
• Birth of the Krabby Patty - Nicolas Carr ["This is the best thing I've ever put in my mouth!"]
• Greenhorn Rag - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [everyone enjoying Krabby Patties]
• Light Conversation 1 No Percussion - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Don't worry, Karen."]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr [A dollar lands on Plankton.]
• Greenhorn Rag - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton discovers SpongeBob winning money with the Krabby Patties.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (p) - Jeremy Wakefield [Mr. Krabs sad]
• Pinapple Luau - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on SpongeBob, You're Fired!, The Complete Eighth Season, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 13, The Best 200 Episodes Ever and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- This episode premiered in the Two Whole Weeks of Never Before Seen SpongeBob event.
- The title card background for this episode is similar to those of "Enemy In-Law" and "Plankton's Regular," except this one is light blue.
- It is revealed in this episode that Patrick is one of the few characters who can handle eating chum.
- Throughout the whole episode, SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs never found out that the whole situation was Plankton's fault. They never even see him throughout the episode, although they almost hear Plankton's voice at the end.
- This is the second time SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs were unaware of Plankton's presence, the first being "Banned in Bikini Bottom."
- When all of Frank's body falls off, bad word #11 from the episode "Sailor Mouth" can be heard as the remaining parts of his body fall on the ground.
- This is the third episode in which SpongeBob starts his own restaurant. The first is "Patty Hype" and the second is "The Other Patty."
- This is the second episode where Mr. Krabs gives away Krabby Patties for free. The first is "Patty Caper."
- This is the second episode in which Plankton wears a Krusty Krab employee hat, the first being "Chum Caverns."
- This episode marks the third time SpongeBob calls Mr. Krabs by his first name, "Eugene." The first was in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie and the second was in "Selling Out."
- This is one of the few episodes in which Plankton's nose is seen; it is shown when he smells the chum near the beginning of the episode.
- When SpongeBob ties Mr. Krabs to the cinder blocks, he cannot move, but at the end of the episode, he can move and the cinder blocks are not tied to him anymore. It is possible that SpongeBob or someone else removed the cinder blocks during the five minutes later time card.
- Incidental 41 has two different voices in this episode.
- When Plankton comes out of the sewer and gives people free patties, his evil laugh is silent.
- When a crowd of fish surround the Krusty Krab as an angry mob, several of the incidental background fish have the wrong colors on them.
- In one scene, Incidental 105's shirt turns from red to pink and then back to red.