- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Patrick Star
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Gary the Snail
- Fiasco (debut)
- Farfel Bainbridge (debut)
- Incidental 41
- Jimmy Gus
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Norma Rechid
- Orange cop
- Officer Rob Johnson
- Tina Fran
- Medley Fishbowl
- Squidina's mother
- Vera Fishbowl
- Old Man Jenkins
- Abigail Marge
- Nathiel Waters
- Norma Rechid
- Taylor Fishbowl
- Dennis (citizen)
- Frankie Billy
- Sheldon (fish)
- Incidental 67
- Debbie Rechid
- Harry (fish)
- Incidental 2
- Martha Smith
- Jennifer Millie
- Harold (red fish)
- Susie Rechid
- Billy (lime fish)
- Don the Whale
- Incidental 47
- Frank (red shirt)
- Monroe Timmy
- Harold Bill Reginald Scott
- Purple officer
- Two beach lovers
- King Neptune (mentioned)
The episode opens up with Patrick, dressed in a business suit, asking where can he get something to eat. Squidward walks in and tells him the answer is before him: the Krusty Krab. Mr. Krabs, dressed in a leotard, jumps out of the restaurant, and SpongeBob slides down a rainbow to his side. Squidward rides a dolphin while holding a plate of Krabby Patties, which Patrick eats. Suddenly, SpongeBob describes Patrick's actions.
Then the scene turns to him and Mr. Krabs in front of a storyboard planned for a commercial. Mr. Krabs asks why he is in a leotard, and he says it is because he is the mascot. Mr. Krabs does not like this, so he tears up the storyboard, telling him he needs a "masterpiece." Saddened, SpongeBob walks to Squidward's counter in depression and tells him about his problems, but Squidward does not care.
After having seen a patron squirt ketchup and mustard onto a plate, Squidward looks at said plate and recognizes it as the art style of Fiasco. Although initially having planned to throw it away, Mr. Krabs, seeing an opportunity to make money, tries to take the artwork from Squidward, and they argue over who really owns it. Just then, Farfel Bainbridge, an art evaluator, comes in and declares the work to be authentic, and thereby a national treasure, thus meaning neither Mr. Krabs nor Squidward own it. Mr. Krabs allows people to view it in his restaurant for free (provided they order Krabby Patties, two each).
Later, Plankton sees the artwork and mistakes it for garbage. Planning to reverse-engineer the recipe, he steals it. Police officers immediately chase him and dog him every step of the way. When he loses them, he is baffled as to why the police are chasing him, rather than Mr. Krabs.
At night, Plankton knocks on Patrick's rock, but when Patrick answers, he angrily tells him that he has a busy day of doing nothing the following day. Plankton then goes to SpongeBob's house and demands an explanation as to why the police are after him. SpongeBob explains that what he has stolen is, in fact, a priceless work of art. Plankton gets the idea to sell the artwork and declares SpongeBob and Gary to be accomplices to his crime. Gary is scared that he is going to be put in jail. Enraged by these accusations, SpongeBob confronts Plankton about this as they start to argue.
Suddenly, Patrick storms in and furiously reminds Plankton that he wants some sleep as he is noticeably seen eating something. When SpongeBob asks what Patrick is eating, to which is later revealed to have eaten the artwork, which he mistook for hors d'oeuvres, much to SpongeBob's and Plankton's horror. SpongeBob realizes that Patrick is eating the merchandise, with Plankton declaring him an accomplice as well. Suddenly, Squidward bursts in with the police and then lies to them about all of the noise. When they see Plankton, they immediately arrest him, along with Squidward for lying to them and also everyone else until they can figure this whole situation out. Finding himself arrested, Squidward tries to prove his innocence.
At the Bikini Bottom Police Department, Plankton and Squidward are locked away. Gary, Patrick, and SpongeBob are free since Mr. Krabs explained that they were not involved with the theft. Mr. Krabs starts crying, saddened that Fiasco is now gone. However, since the artwork is now in Patrick's stomach, SpongeBob has an idea and Mr. Krabs has him stand behind an X-Ray machine, which shows the artwork inside him. Fiasco is moved by Patrick's style, stating that he will never paint again as he starts smashing all of his paintings in frustration. The episode ends with Squidward, who is still locked up, asking about his phone call.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• SpongeBob Theme II - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
‣ Busy Life - Cedric King-Palmer [The opening]
• Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob about the storyboard.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 1A - Jeremy Wakefield [Mr. Krabs places SpongeBob near Squidward.]
• Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob complains.]
• Great Idea Patrick - Nicolas Carr ["Great idea Squidward!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks 9C - Jeremy Wakefield ["Of course he actually has one."]
‣ Cristallisation - Vladimir Cosma [Fiasco makes a messing plate.]
• New Vibe Hits 2007 - Nicolas Carr ["What's this?"]
• Fooling Around 2 - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward tells customers about Fiasco.]
• Happy Krusty Crew 2 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["I'll take a million for it."]
• A Fishy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Farfel appears / "It's authentic!"]
• Jovial Pirate's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [The customers line up.]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede [Plankton is shown spying.]
• Pirate's Opus - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Mr. Krabs sniffs money.]
‣ Cloak And Dagger [#69] - Phil Green [Plankton runs away with the art.]
‣ Big City Sidewalks - Sam Spence [Mr. Krabs call the cops.]
‣ Grand Pastures [#28] - Harry Bluestone [Plankton hides at the movie Theater]
‣ Crime And Danger Sign #3 - Hans Conzelmann, Delle Haensch [The police spot Plankton at the movie theater.]
• Shop O Rama - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez [Plankton hides at the supermarket.]
‣ Crime And Danger Sign #3 - Hans Conzelmann, Delle Haensch [The police spot Plankton at the supermarket.]
‣ Blue Danube [#56] - Johann Strauss, Fiachra Trench [The police catch Plankton in outer space.]
‣ Animal Antics [#45] - Phil Green [Plankton tries from chasing with the police and knocks on Patrick's rock.]
• What's This - Nicolas Carr ["Wait, what?"]
‣ Apprehensive 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Plankton enters SpongeBob's house.]
‣ Desperate Situation - Phil Green ["Now you've gone too far!"]
• Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Plankton gasp.]
‣ Cloak And Dagger [#70] - Phil Green ["Now Patrick is harboring stolen merchandise in his belly!"]
• Bikini Bottom Police - Nicolas Carr [The cops finally catch Plankton stealing the piece of art.]
• Slide Whistle Stooges 2 - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton gets put in jail.]
• Jolly Little Roger - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [The ending]
- This episode is available on SpongeBob, You're Fired!, The Complete Eighth Season, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 13, The Best 200 Episodes Ever and Next 100 Episodes DVDs.
- Karen and the inside of the Chum Bucket were featured in a deleted scene. Karen is still listed in the credits, indicating that Jill Talley recorded her lines for Karen before the scene was cut.
- Mr. Krabs is right when he says that the art is his, as it was made from parts of his restaurant, which he owns.
- Mr. Krabs calls Farfel Bainbridge "Farkle" despite never having found out his name out before.
- The Old Man Jenkins from "My Pretty Seahorse" makes a cameo at the Bikini Bottom Supermarket in this episode.
- In Germany, this episode has two title cards.
- Plankton accuses SpongeBob of harboring an art thief, yet he actually was not, as all Plankton did was enter his house. Not to mention that he was technically breaking into it.
- This episode marks the third time Squidward goes to the Bikini Bottom Police Department. The first was in "Good Ol' Whatshisname" and the second was in "Professor Squidward." Once again, however, no one bails him out.
- This episode marks the fifth time Plankton goes to jail. The first was in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, the second was in "Krabby Road," the third was in "Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy," and the fourth was in "Sweet and Sour Squid."
- At one point, Patrick goes to the Bikini Bottom Police Department for the third time. The first time this happened was in "SpongeBob Meets the Strangler," and the second time was in "Good Ol' Whatshisname."
- This episode marks another instance where Patrick does something stupid, which causes people to think he has artistic talent. A previous instance was in "The Googly Artiste," in which he simply glues googly eyes onto rocks and other objects, which are considered great art.
- Plankton reveals that he has pollen allergies when he sneezes and says, "Blasted pollen allergies!"
- SpongeBob's storyboard shows pictures from this actual episode, with the opening scene and the parts leading up to Mr. Krabs tearing up the storyboards and SpongeBob being dropped out of the kitchen.
- This is the only season 8 episode to use the track "Slide Whistle Stooges 2."
- The working title for this episode was "The Priceless Patty." This title is used on several international TV guides, such as iDNES Europe.
- This episode premiered in the "Two Whole Weeks of Never Before Seen SpongeBob" event.
- At the very start of the episode when Patrick raises his hands up into the air after ripping off his tie, what appears to be two fingers or thumbs are shown/animated on the underside of both his hand-stumps. This does not appear at any other point in the entire show.
- Fiasco is a parody of the famous artist Pablo Picasso.
- Fiasco's art style is similar to Jackson Pollock's abstract paintings.
- When Plankton hides from the police in the movie theater, the movie that is playing is called Goo Lagoon, which is a spoof of The Blue Lagoon.
- Old Man Jenkins has two looks. First, when Plankton goes in the store, and it is different when he leaves.
- When Plankton walks to SpongeBob's house after Patrick's, Squidward's house is absent from the scene.