- French Narrator
- Eugene H. Krabs
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Male cowfish (debut)
- Female cowfish (debut)
- Magician (mentioned)
- Sea urchins
- Karen Plankton
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Scallops and clams
- Bubble Bass
- Two fish in movie
- Incidental 5
- Incidental 10
- Incidental 6
- Incidental 2
- Incidental 4
- Incidental 3
- Incidental 22
- Incidental 23
- Incidental 8
- Incidental 40
- Incidental 115 (debut)
- Incidental 114 (debut)
- Incidental 157 (debut)
- Teen 5 (debut)
- Incidental 118
- Incidental 48
- Incidental 27
- Incidental 7
- Incidental 31
- Incidental 42
- Incidental 45
The episode begins with business as usual at the Krusty Krab, until suddenly, an alarm begins to blare, signaling an attempt by Plankton to steal a Krabby Patty. Plankton, patty in tow, escapes outside by making a hole in the door with a laser.
SpongeBob heroically chases after him. After a long chase across the cityscape, SpongeBob finally recovers the Krabby Patty and is congratulated by the townsfolk, while Plankton walks home downcast. SpongeBob, feeling sorry for Plankton, decides to befriend him.
SpongeBob invites Plankton to go jellyfishing with him. Realizing he can take advantage of SpongeBob, Plankton goes. At Jellyfish Fields, Plankton remains fixated on evil and destruction, while SpongeBob tries to explain fun to him by singing "The F.U.N. song." Eventually, Plankton starts singing the song as well, first, he sings his own version with violent lyrics, but eventually, he sings SpongeBob's version and seems to finally be having fun. He seems to forget about stealing the formula and begins to develop a genuine sense of friendship.
When Mr. Krabs sees this, he refuses to believe that Plankton has changed, and sets up a trap for them when he goes to the Krusty Krab to meet SpongeBob the next day. He attempts to tempt Plankton with a Krabby Patty, but Plankton sits motionless and apathetic with the patty in front of him. After SpongeBob and Plankton leave to go to the movies, Mr. Krabs begins to suspect that Plankton really has gone straight and nice, until he realizes that he actually did take the patty.
At the Reef Cinema, Mr. Krabs appears in front of the projector and demands everyone in the theater to reach into their friend or partner's pocket to see what they have got. SpongeBob reaches into Plankton's pocket and finds a Krabby Patty. SpongeBob realizes that Plankton used him to get a Krabby Patty. Plankton attempts to explain that he realizes now that he only ever wanted friendship, before admitting to everything and running off with the patty through the movie screen, tearing it in half in the process.
SpongeBob believes Plankton won, but Mr. Krabs tells him he did not. He shows SpongeBob behind the screen, revealing Plankton to be badly squashed on a damaged concrete wall with the Patty. SpongeBob apologizes to Mr. Krabs and they decide to go back to the Krusty Krab and have a fresh Krabby Patty. Mr. Krabs flicks Plankton off the wall and onto Bubble Bass' hand, where he mistakes Plankton for a jelly bean. Bubble Bass chases Plankton around his hand with him screaming, concluding the episode.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
◦ F.U.N. Song - Sherm Cohen, Brad Carow [Title card]
‣ Captain Lenoe's - Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie [The opening]
‣ Death Trap [#25] - Gregor F. Narholz [The alarms go off.]
‣ Heroes Win [#34] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob chases Plankton.]
‣ Chase That Car - Laurie Johnson [SpongeBob inflates his Krusty Krab hat.]
‣ Vibe Link (a) - Richard Myhill ["Wow, a magic shop!"]
‣ In the Cradle (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob tells story about a magician.]
‣ Dramatic Cue (d) - Ronald Hanmer ["Plankton, it's you!"]
‣ Kamakani (b) - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob tries to cheer Plankton up.]
‣ Vibe Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["I bet if he had just one friend..."]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [Later]
‣ Queen's Aloha Oe C - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani [SpongeBob visits Plankton.]
‣ Dramatic Cue (h) - Ronald Hanmer ["That naïve cube!"]
‣ Hilo March - The Hawaiian Serenaders [SpongeBob and Plankton go jellyfishing.]
‣ Footsteps of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [Plankton's daydream]
◦ F.U.N. Song - Sherm Cohen, Brad Carow [SpongeBob and Plankton sing this song.]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [That night]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [At the Krusty Krab the next day]
‣ Dramatic Cue (d) - Ronald Hanmer [photo of SpongeBob and Plankton are together.]
‣ Footsteps of Horror - W. Merrick Farran ["What's this all about, Mr. Krabs?"]
‣ Facing the Challenge [#14.02] - Gregor F. Narholz ["Hang on there, laddie, I'm a-coming!"]
‣ A Pirate's Life for Me (a) - Ron Goodwin [SpongeBob and Plankton are at the movies.]
‣ Curse of Evil 1 [#44] - Gregor F. Narholz ["He's decievin' ya! Reach into his pocket now and take what he's got!"]
‣ Fates [#61] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob finds a Krabby Patty in Plankton's pocket.]
‣ Whisper from the Past [#63] - Gregor F. Narholz [Plankton cries.]
‣ Glamorous Affair A - John Fox, Otto Sieben ["Oh, darling, I knew nothing would ever tear us apart."]
‣ Oyster Girls - Robert Alexander White [The ending]
- This episode is available on the Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies, Complete 1st Season, Sponge Buddies, Hall Monitor, Sponge Crazy, First 100 Episodes, SpongeBob SquarePants, iSponge Offer Pack, Really Big Box Set, The Ultimate SpongeBob Box Set, SpongeBob SquarePants Vol. 1, The Complete First Season, From the Beginning, Part 1, The SpongeBob SquarePants Collection, Sheldon Plankton: Mean and Green, The SpongeBob SquarePants 8 Season DVD Collection, The First & Second Seasons, Movies & TV Collection, and The Best 200 Episodes Ever DVDs and on VideoNow.
- This episode is available on the Sponge Buddies and Undersea Antics Volume 1 VHS tapes.
- This episode is also available on the It's a SpongeBob Christmas! Blu-ray.
- In fan-voted SpongeBob SquarePants marathons, "F.U.N." was ranked #14 during the Best Day Ever event from November 9–10, 2006 and #2 during The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash event from July 17–19, 2009.
- In "Top 100 Greatest Nicktoon Moments," this episode was ranked #4.
- "F.U.N." was ranked #3 during the SpongeBob's Top 100 event in the UK and Ireland from June 4-8, 2012.
- This episode was originally titled "My Fair Plankton."
- This episode was adapted into a story for the Japanese SpongeBob magazine. In the story, the F.U.N. Song is not a translation of the original, and it does not include "F.U.N." standing for anything. Instead, SpongeBob and Plankton say random non-sequiturs for each letter (such as "U is on the left!" and "U... what you said previously!").
- The boot squeak sound effect from "Squeaky Boots" can be heard when the police fish puts the "Honorary Rookie" donut on SpongeBob.
- In the storyboard of the episode, Plankton asks "So what happens after we shoot 'em?" and pretends to fire his net like a rifle. SpongeBob responds "You don't shoot 'em!" In the finished episode, the firearm references were removed; in the final episode, Plankton does hold his net the same way, but does not pretend to fire it. Instead, he asks "So what happens after we eat 'em?" However, animation of Plankton holding the net like a rifle was completed and has always been featured in the completed episode.
- This is the first episode to have a designable text in the title card words and have a solid black background.
- This is the first episode to use the APM tracks "A Pirate's Life For Me" and "Kamakani (b)."
- This is the first of four episodes transcribed as a comic into the SpongeBob SquarePants/Tokyopop book Tales from Bikini Bottom. The other three were "Home Sweet Pineapple," "Prehibernation Week," and "I'm Your Biggest Fanatic."
- This is the second episode where the German dub has the exact same title card as the English version. The first was "Plankton!"
- This is one of the seven episodes in which the 1986 Paramount logo is plastered with the 2002 Paramount logo. The others are "Help Wanted," "Squeaky Boots," "Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost," "Employee of the Month," "Karate Choppers," and "Rock Bottom."
- "F.U.N." is the only episode title to date whose title is an acronym.
- This episode was paired up with "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III" during the Best Buddies Week.
- This episode was paired up with "The Algae's Always Greener" during the Plankton's Revenge marathon.
- TeenNick premiered this episode on May 21, 2021.
- The original title for this episode ("My Fair Plankton") is a reference to the 1964 musical film My Fair Lady.
- The Chum Bucket's special of the day is Chumbalaya, a parody of the Creole dish Jambalaya.
- When SpongeBob is looking for the Krabby Patty with binoculars, the fish citizens are walking slowly in lines, but when he spots the patty, they begin walking faster.
- While SpongeBob uses his Krusty Krab employee hat as a bouncing ball, the outline his belt is on top of his shirt for a frame.
- When SpongeBob chases the Krabby Patty off a building, he uses his blown-up Krusty Krab employee hat as a bouncing ball. However, when he catches the Krabby Patty at the Magic Shop, his hat is back on his head and deflated.
- During the singing of "For He's a Jolly Good Rookie," a female voice is heard singing along, but everyone singing is male.
- When SpongeBob is thrown in the air, the sky is green. When he lands seconds later, it is blue.
- The Chum Bucket is across the city in this episode. In most episodes, it is across the street from the Krusty Krab.
- When Plankton is leaning against the door of the Chum Bucket, he appears to be about half as tall as the door.
- When SpongeBob and Plankton are at Jellyfish Fields, SpongeBob gives Plankton a jellyfish net, but in the next scene, Plankton is not seen with the net and it is not seen on the ground.
- The clams' mouths are out of sync with the animation during the "F.U.N. Song."
- When the movie theater is first shown, there are 18 people sitting inside, but in later scenes, there are fewer.
- While Plankton says he took the Krabby Patty, his bottom and legs keep disappearing and reappearing. This animation error would not have been visible on the CRTs most of the episode's original audience viewed the episode on due to overscan.
- Plankton hits the wall on the very bottom of the movie screen, but he is at Mr. Krabs's eye level when Mr. Krabs reveals the wall.
- Mr. Krabs shows SpongeBob a wrinkled Krabby Patty, but in the next scene, it is normal.
- Bubble Bass eats jelly beans with no green one, but in the next scene, a green one suddenly appears.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|